Scotty Cameron Phantom X Putters

Comments

• JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers Posts: 330 ✭✭✭✭

I had the X12, was having adjustments made to it so just waiting I picked up the new 5.5, canned 5 in a row, tried again made 4 of 5 10 footers. So asked they swap me the 5.5, first day out 30 putts, to me it’s much easier putter put with than 12.

I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • collindm1collindm1 Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

I've rolled them all...the X8.5 is just so easy to align and feels great off the face - they all do - but this one feels the best and has most flow to me. Not a lot of distractions as it's all black with the alignment aids. Give this one a shot, has a bit of toe hang which makes it play all the better.

• GolfdoctorGolfdoctor Members Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The #8 has the best sound (this is because of the all Aluminum top). I watched a You Tube video where the guy was getting fitted for the Phantom X and mention the same thing that the X8 had the best sound and the X5 the worst. They claim that the #8 is the most used Phantom X putter on Tour, followed by the X12.

Today on practice green with my X 5.5 Titlest pro v1’s made s tinny sound where as a Callaway super soft just a soft sound. I like the way all Tyne type putters look

I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The 5.5 just puts a great roll on the ball. I agree the price is high....But my putting has already improved. Now could be the HONEYMOON period, time will tell. two rounds in and really happy so far.

Gil Leonard
  • PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics... Members Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Had a chance to fiddle around with them the other day. Much smaller in person, set up incredibly square, great balance and feel. Loved the X12.

Ping G410+ 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 (X)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • FrankevFrankev Members Posts: 35 ✭✭

Picked up a Phantom X7. Plays and feels much better than it looks. Staying in the back for now!

• Ngjg21Ngjg21 Members Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2019 10:05pm #69

Love the 34” 5.5. Sets up beautifully. Tried the X5 originally but prefer the way the 5.5 sits more. Agree with other comments about the louder sound but I actually prefer it :)

Boy would the Super Stroke Legacy CounterCore Grip in Black/Yellow/Silver look nice with the Phantom X.

So I spent some time playing around with the Phantom X line. It's hard to make a decision on which model to play. I like the looks of the X5 - X5.5, but not the sound. The X6 STR works great for me, but never played a straight shafted putter in my life. The X8 -8.5 sounds the best, but feels like it's missing something. The X7 - 7.5 looks cool, but I might as well play the X12 instead. So what was it, that made you pick the correct Phantom X putter? Thanks

• burgeburge Members Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

To each their own, but I prefer the sound of the 5.5 to the other models. A muted sound off a putter face confuses my senses. I want a sound that matches the firmness of my stroke which has made me avoid most inserts or deep-milled faces. I am pretty much an anti-Scotty fan, and not a fan of big mallets, but the Phantom X 5.5 just works for me . . . surprised the heck out of me.

• MeanmachinemoeMeanmachinemoe Members Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2019 5:17am #73

@Golfdoctor said:
    So I spent some time playing around with the Phantom X line. It's hard to make a decision on which model to play. I like the looks of the X5 - X5.5, but not the sound. The X6 STR works great for me, but never played a straight shafted putter in my life. The X8 -8.5 sounds the best, but feels like it's missing something. The X7 - 7.5 looks cool, but I might as well play the X12 instead. So what was it, that made you pick the correct Phantom X putter? Thanks

Not sure what I'm missing but I don't hear the sound many are talking about. Could it be the ball you're using? I am using a Chrome Soft and it sounds muted to me. If I hit a putt of considerable length I get a little tinny sound but only on very long putts. To answer your question, I chose the 5.5 because of the short bend hosel (toe hang) and I prefer the fangs to a solid body. Sound had nothing to do with my choice and wouldn't have deterred me even if I got the sound everyone is talking about.

Taylormade 2017 M1 460 10.5* Fujikura Pro XLR8 56
    Titleist 818 H2 17* Tensei Blue 70
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei Blue 70
    Callaway Rogue 4-AW TT XP95 R300
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54.14 F Grind
    Titleist Vokey SM7 58.12 D Grind
    Odyssey O-Works Black 2W

• gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JerryTBall said:
    I had the X12, was having adjustments made to it so just waiting I picked up the new 5.5, canned 5 in a row, tried again made 4 of 5 10 footers. So asked they swap me the 5.5, first day out 30 putts, to me it’s much easier putter put with than 12.

I also bought a 5.5. Really easy to align and puts a great role on the ball. Honeymoon phase has been great, making some nice putts and have shot a couple really good rounds so far. Dropped a couple bombs that I had zero expectations. So I am definitely happy so far.

Gil Leonard

@Golfdoctor said:

Gpleonard’s agreement with my comment was my reason I put the super stroke flat so 2.0 on it for even more stability and I believe the ball does make a difference, there is a difference between the new pro V one and the new E 12 soft Bridgestone. Bridgestone has a muffled sound were the Titleist has a click sound but on longer putts the Bridgestone will make a little bit more sound.
    If you have a little bit I’ll be at Ark in your swing you do not want the X 12

Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I first saw the spy pictures pop up on here I was far from impressed but after rolling one today in the shop I have changed my mind.
    I don’t think there is a model that suits my swing (a lot of arc) but they are a good putter

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,145 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’m really enjoying mine it’s a very stable smaller sized mallet. I’m happy with the purchase so far.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • PINSEEKER72PINSEEKER72 Members Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭✭

B Squared,
    Which one did you get?

• callawayjaycallawayjay Goofiest Left Handed Swing Ever Members Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Being a lefty I picked up a seven and I’ve been putting with a dual balance butter for the last two years and I feel like this Potter allows me to release the potter had a whole lot better than the dual balance potters I was using

• callawayjaycallawayjay Goofiest Left Handed Swing Ever Members Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I stroked out. Release the putter.

• gunmetalgunmetal IdahoMembers Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jtitleist12 said:
    The best part is these are going to retail for $429!

• Josh

Makes you wonder if the steel tariffs are starting to come into play here. I understand that we just lifted tariffs against Canada and Mexico for steel imports, but these went into production a while ago. No idea where Acushnet was sourcing their billets, but undoubtedly they're paying more than they were a few years ago.

• snagy2000snagy2000 Members Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019 9:55pm #82

@Golfer4Life said:

@gunmetal said:

@jtitleist12 said:

• Josh

Makes you wonder if the steel tariffs are starting to come into play here. I understand that we just lifted tariffs against Canada and Mexico for steel imports, but these went into production a while ago. No idea where Acushnet was sourcing their billets, but undoubtedly they're paying more than they were a few years ago.

Cameron’s OTR offerings have been going up in prices every year. Nothing new here.

They've gone up $25 every release for the last 4 or 5 years, while using cheaper materials....

My upgrade to this putter cost me $70 with my old Cameron plus an old driver. There’s no way I could ho clubs without trading them in. I’m not rich

• gunmetalgunmetal IdahoMembers Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@snagy2000 said:

@Golfer4Life said:

@gunmetal said:

@jtitleist12 said:

• Josh

Cameron’s OTR offerings have been going up in prices every year. Nothing new here.

They've gone up $25 every release for the last 4 or 5 years, while using cheaper materials....

What are the cheaper materials they are using?

• stuart374stuart374 Members Posts: 273 ✭✭

Just got the X7. Was between that and the X8. Basically, the same putter, except the X8 is all black and I liked some shiny steel. I figure it won't scuff as much over time. Both are incredibly easy to line up and very smooth to stroke with great feedback for distance control. Could this be the "no-miss" putter I have been looking for all these years? I think I will name it "Dracarys."

• FlyOverFlyOver SoCalMembers Posts: 394 ✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 8:52pm #86

@gunmetal said:

@snagy2000 said:

@Golfer4Life said:

@gunmetal said:

@jtitleist12 said:

• Josh

What are the cheaper materials they are using?

Posters will say, the aluminum face insert, because Scotty’s OTR putters are no longer milled from a solid block of steel.

Taylormade M6 9.0 loft-GD AD IZ 7S shaft
    Taylormade M6 3W-GD AD IZ 8S shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
    Honma TW 747v forged 4-10 irons-Modus 105 stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Scotty Cameron modified Detour Newport 2 putter
    Scotty Cameron Black Mist Notchback Putter
    Titleist yellow ProV1X 

I feel like milling the carbon steel into odd shape so that another little milled piece of aluminum can fit is more difficult and time-consuming than milling one block of carbon steel,

• FlyOverFlyOver SoCalMembers Posts: 394 ✭✭

@callawayjay said:
    I feel like milling the carbon steel into odd shape so that another little milled piece of aluminum can fit is more difficult and time-consuming than milling one block of carbon steel,

I agree!

Taylormade M6 9.0 loft-GD AD IZ 7S shaft
    Taylormade M6 3W-GD AD IZ 8S shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
    Honma TW 747v forged 4-10 irons-Modus 105 stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Scotty Cameron modified Detour Newport 2 putter
    Scotty Cameron Black Mist Notchback Putter
    Titleist yellow ProV1X 

Leave a Comment