Comments

• gunmetalgunmetal IdahoMembers Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Golfer4Life said:

@gunmetal said:

@snagy2000 said:

@Golfer4Life said:

@gunmetal said:

@jtitleist12 said:
    The best part is these are going to retail for $429!

• Josh

Makes you wonder if the steel tariffs are starting to come into play here. I understand that we just lifted tariffs against Canada and Mexico for steel imports, but these went into production a while ago. No idea where Acushnet was sourcing their billets, but undoubtedly they're paying more than they were a few years ago.

Cameron’s OTR offerings have been going up in prices every year. Nothing new here.

They've gone up $25 every release for the last 4 or 5 years, while using cheaper materials....

What are the cheaper materials they are using?

Other than the 3M double sided tape promoted as a special dampening membrane?

Well, it's definitely a "dampening membrane". Special? Ehhh, probably not, LOL.

• callawayjaycallawayjay Goofiest Left Handed Swing Ever Members Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It’s like Lewis black said. It’s not soy milk. It’s soy juice. But soy juice won’t move product.

2 sided tape for dampening won’t move product.

• Fourpar18Fourpar18 Members Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked up a Phantom 5...will report back tomorrow on my thoughts. My initial thoughts are good...feel, sound, and response!

• youngunz5840youngunz5840 Members Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Where is everyone ordering theirs from? I got a quote from DD and there was almost no discount.

• burgeburge Members Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

@youngunz5840 said:
    Where is everyone ordering theirs from? I got a quote from DD and there was almost no discount.

Paid $360 for mine off eBay. New with plastic still on grip and head. Even with the discounted price I still can’t believe I paid that for a putter . . . but I’ll be danged if I didn’t roll the ball great playing 45 holes in a tournament this weekend. My distance control was better than it has been in a long time. That being said, it is still the honeymoon period.

• golfguru80golfguru80 Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

x8 definitely doesnt look good. 5.5 maybe...

• Mikee_jMikee_j Members Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Wow these Phantom X's look much better and much smaller in person.
    Rolled the X8 and could be one to knock out my older futura X5 from the bag. Love the simplicity and the alignments.
    Really need to test one on the course on real greens instead of rolling 10ft putts in a pro shop.

• eRod v1.0eRod v1.0 "In Rod We Trust" Members Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Rolled the X 12 in store and was lights out, out to 12 feet. Felt great even with the crappy balls, clicky for sure. Alignment was super easy. Been using a super stroke grip for so long that the Pistolero grip felt nice. Going to demo one at my club during a round this weekend. I may just have to splurge and get one.

Callaway Rogue SZ 9° - PX HZRDUS Smoke 70
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° - PX HZRDUS Smoke 70
    Ping G410 19° - PX Even Flow Black 85
    Callaway Apex CF19 5-AW - TT Elevate Tour
    Custom Callaway MD4 54° - KBS HI REV 2.0
    Custom Callaway PM Grind 19 58° - KBS HI REV 2.0
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12
  • craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The more I hit these putters the more I like them, just wish they did something with more toe hang

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@craz-e said:
    The more I hit these putters the more I like them, just wish they did something with more toe hang

you're not wrong -- i keep coming back to them whenever i test for a new putter. i might cave one of these days.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• RodrigoNicelyRodrigoNicely Members Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love my 7.5 for the first Tim in a long time I’m not looking at putters. Lines up great and has a great feel on longer putts. Lag putting has been a breeze

• 9ironiscash9ironiscash Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭✭

No lefty options at all for the entire line?

• mjbfybmjbfyb Members Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

@9ironiscash said:
    No lefty options at all for the entire line?

The 7 & 7.5 are available in LH.

• Fourpar18Fourpar18 Members Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So my initial thoughts...

This putter has amazing feel and distance control was awesome! Alignment was a easy and the looks are what draws everyone In. So far I love it...just need to figure out if I am a mallet or blade guy!

• bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,259 ClubWRX

I rolled them all yesterday. I thought I’d prefer the 5.5, but wound up preferring the 7.5. Can’t pay the $400+ for it though.

Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-pw
    Mizuno T7 50/55/60 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • alpinetoalpineto Members Posts: 88 ✭✭✭
    edited Jun 3, 2019 11:13pm #107

I checked the line up at NY golf center and for some reason I like the #12 it looks like something batman would use
    anyhow I like them and theres a nice sound that comes off of the putters , not sure if it was the balls I was practicing with
    but they seemed to be a mixture of different brand balls .

• chasdrchasdr Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

Love my X5...agree on setup...for me better than the Futura line, which feels large in comparison. Really like that the putter sits perfectly square behind the ball and the 3 yellow alignment dots helps make for a consistent setup. Incredibly well balanced and great feel - especially distance.

Ping G400 Max ACCRA iWood 142i
    Titleist TS2 4 Wood 16.5* Fujikura Speeder VC 5.0
    Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 21* Fujikura Pro 75h
    Srixon Z585 Mitsubishi 6030 4-AW
    Vokey SM7 Nippon NS V90 56/60
    Taylormade Spider X Single Bend
    Taylormade TP5 pix
  • DFDLTDFDLT Members Posts: 116 ✭✭

Has anyone seen degrees of toe hang for these?

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DFDLT said:
    Has anyone seen degrees of toe hang for these?

Closest I can find....
    https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/putters/phantom-x

Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • scotty_2987scotty_2987 Members Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Bumping for more feedback on these putters. Rolled a 5.5 the other day and really liked it.

• AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a CS type of guy but with my Left Hand Low technique of putting the Phantom X 6STR felt phenomenal off the face and lined up really well. Surprised at how soft the feel was. Don't think it can dethrone my Spider X though at the moment.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS3 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    Callaway Apex '19 5-AW Nippon Modus3 105
    Titleist SM7 50.12F/54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • SteelheadSteelhead Orlando, FloridaClubWRX Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up a 8.5 and figured it for a round trip on my way back to a Spider X. Not going to happen. Amazing feel. Distance control spot on. Several bombs in the last four rounds that just inspire even more confidence. Always liked the Futura lines but this smaller toe-hang mallet just feels right.

• HatfieldHatfield Members Posts: 1
    edited Jul 11, 2019 4:03pm #114

@scotty_2987 said:
    Bumping for more feedback on these putters. Rolled a 5.5 the other day and really liked it.

I went into the golf shop the other day with full intention of getting a Fastback with some member-guest winnings. As much as I tried to like the Fastback more than the Phantom X 5.5 I just couldn’t do it! Ordered the 5.5! Scheduled to ship the first week of August. I’ll provide some more feedback once I’m gaming it full time. Currently game a Spider Tour.

• RH82RH82 Members Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 13, 2019 4:13am #115

Putted with an 8.5 and it was the best of the bunch. Sat really well and the alignment was great.

Post edited by RH82 on
    TBD
    Titleist 917 F2 (16.5*)
    Callaway Apex (20*)
    Srixon Z785 (4-PW)
    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)
    Odyssey Tank #7
  • JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers Posts: 330 ✭✭✭✭

Someone sold me a TM mini spider last week for $100, did not care for it, so got a new phantom 5.5 for trade and $100.

I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • YuckYuck Fore! Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Aluminum and high grade stainless are between $1400 and $1800 per ton. Given a putter head weighs less than a pound, material costs are not a huge factor. Should prices double, that would be less than $1 per putter.

• beaureed445beaureed445 Members Posts: 4

I've putted with the same Studio Style Newport 2 since '05. I'm now in the market for a new putter, and I'm having a hard time saying no the Phantom X 6 STR.....I've only putted in the stores, but it feels really good.

• greenj20greenj20 Detroit, MIMembers Posts: 63 ✭✭

Have any guys on tour started using futura putters? IMO they look like batman weapon gone wrong...

Driver: Cobra King F7
    3Wood: Taylormade M2 (2017) HL
    Hybrids: F8 One Length 5H, Ping G25 23*, 20*
    Irons: FMAX One Length PW-6
    Wedges: FMAX One Length GW, SW
    Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom -or- O works #7 Black
    Bag: Sun Mountain Phantom Cart
    Ball: Pro V1 Yellow, Vice Pro+ Lime
  • JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@greenj20 said:
    Have any guys on tour started using futura putters? IMO they look like batman weapon gone wrong...

Justin Thomas was using one. Not sure if he still is or not.

M4 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | Nike VR Pro Combo | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | Scotty SS Newport 2 350

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file