Garmin Approach G80

123468

Comments

  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 19, 2019 10:56pm #152

    @Kennybg said:
    In relation to resetting , I decided to try it anyway, however after doing so the firmware is still the beta version 2.61.

    Kennybg .... never had my unit shut down unexpectedly. Consider sending Garmin Service/Support ...... [email protected] ........ an e-mail & see what they have to say, they responded in a few days to one of my Q's see post # 83. As well, send Luke R. a P/M from the Garmin Support Team who posted in # 124 above. Would be interested in what you find out.

    D.

    Post edited by Zip-in-Z on
    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • KennybgKennybg Members Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited Jun 20, 2019 3:30pm #153

    D. Thanks for the suggestion. I've messaged Luke so will see if he has any ideas. I have also reset it to factory default so I'll try again tomorrow. If it still does it and Luke confirms it's not related to the beta software I'll just exchange it for another unit.
    Update: I tried it again today after the reset and the problem is still there. I've handed it back to the retailer who will investigate and return it working or replace with a new unit.
    I also got a reply from Luke at Garmin who tested the 2.61 firmware before posting it as a public beta and he did not experience any shutdowns. He also asked for further information which I gave him.

    Post edited by Kennybg on
  • smasma Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

    Integration with the Garmin CT10 system would be a nice addition.

  • Ryan5508Ryan5508 Members Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭

    mine does not shut down ever.
    2.61 just ruined the club speed accuracy for mine.

    Ping G410 Plus - Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD 70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 3 wood - Aldila Rip Alpha
    Callaway Apex 2019 3h - Project X Catalyst
    Ping i210 - Pw-3 X100
    Ping Glide - 50/56/60
    Taylormade - Spider X slant neck

  • pilot25pilot25 Members Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

    @Ryan5508 said:
    mine does not shut down ever.
    2.61 just ruined the club speed accuracy for mine.

    It is in beta. They will probably have it fixed when they release the final code.

  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I downloaded 2.61 the other day, was at the range this afternoon hit about a dozen or so really beat up rock hard little/no dimple balls, my unit sure wasn't recording what I was seeing, hit P/W & 9i and 7i was recording at least 20 yds less than my actual .... ie I normally hit 150-155 yds 9i the unit was recording 130, 133 then 132. I believe it was the poor balls not the unit as I pulled out a few misc lost/found I had and was getting much better numbers. Went back to the chipping green and hitting 40 yd shots to center pin and the unit was recording identical numbers to what I posted the other day. Haven't got out on the course yet, playing in a tourney tomorrow, will be bringing the G80 out for sure.

    D.

    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Played in a small tourney with 30 guys at a different course today, brought the G80 and used it to warm up at the range, their balls were in much better shape & my numbers were close to what I was seeing. We all had carts, once we got going & started the round I was trying to find a place to keep the G80 and ended up putting it in my back pocket. I spent the first few holes pushing buttons to get to the right hole we were on and reading distances then entering my score, felt like a lot of extra work fooling around with the unit. That's when I decided to just leave it in the cup holder and used it when I needed to confirm pin distances and didn't bother keeping score because for me it was becoming a PIA. When we finished I forgot to check what the Distance Traveled was, deleted the score card and was not able to retrieve it, so i don't know if it worked or not. Playing my home course in the morning, will try not to forget.

    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 24, 2019 6:24pm #159

    Well ... the "Distance & Time Played" work ..... it was a nice walk, but I forgot to bring my S5 watch to confirm. Score sucked, lost 2 bush & 1 water and 3 putted ...yuk.

    D.
    .

    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • Jimmy2ballsJimmy2balls Members Posts: 14 ✭✭

    I went to the range yesterday with a newly acquired G80 and went through the bag. The numbers seem to be spot on for me. It failed to register a couple of times but I think that is user error.
    I took the plunge buying this unit off OfferUp for $275 and at this point I couldn’t be happier.
    I own and have owned a number of Garmin products and I expect the experience to be the same or better today on the course.

  • smasma Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

    Agreed, this unit is definitely a great purchase. It's an excellent GPS device to use during the round and increases its usefulness by being able to provide data on the driving range.

  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 29, 2019 12:44am #162

    June 28th ... walked 18 today, made an effort to turn on both my G80 & S5 Garmin gadgets at the same time just before going to Hole # 1 T-box and when we walked off #18 made sure to stop & take a pic to confirm both Distance/Odometer and Playing Time. The time traveled was identical, I believe the S5 watch Odometer for distance traveled was inaccurate, buddy said his was just over 4 1/2 miles, the G80 was 4.4 miles. Wonder why the difference between gadget's ... perhaps Luke R. from Garmin Quality Team can advise all of us accordingly.

    D.
    .
    .

    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • Ryan5508Ryan5508 Members Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 29, 2019 9:28am #163

    4.4 is a really short course. You must only play in straight lines 😂

    From experience I would say your watch is the accurate one. 5500-6000 yard courses for me are around the 6 miles range.

    Ping G410 Plus - Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD 70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 3 wood - Aldila Rip Alpha
    Callaway Apex 2019 3h - Project X Catalyst
    Ping i210 - Pw-3 X100
    Ping Glide - 50/56/60
    Taylormade - Spider X slant neck

  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ryan5508 ... good point, did a conversion this is what was calculated for my home course from the Blue's, the G80 appears to be more accurate than the S5 watch. Plan to do another comparison next week.

    D.

    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • Ryan5508Ryan5508 Members Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This would be a 5542 yard course I play using my Fenix watch.

    Ping G410 Plus - Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD 70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 3 wood - Aldila Rip Alpha
    Callaway Apex 2019 3h - Project X Catalyst
    Ping i210 - Pw-3 X100
    Ping Glide - 50/56/60
    Taylormade - Spider X slant neck

  • pilot25pilot25 Members Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited Jun 29, 2019 7:11pm #166

    I used the device in direct sunlight today. Radar mode with 92 degree heat. After 30ish minutes it displayed a message that the device was too cold. That I need for it to warm up before I can use it. I knew it was going to overheat but that bug is funny.

    I need to figure out how to shade the device while its hot out.

  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ryan 5508 ... nice Fenix gadget, looks like you walk fast & a decent distance plus burn lots of calories, too. Would be interesting to see how the G80 compares to your watch.
    .
    Pilot25 ... that's a funny bug you got there. This happened to me back in February when I was in Palm Springs .... it was 81F/27C, after 20 or so balls the unit shut down, this was the error message, covered it up with my damp towel turned it back on worked fine, after that I covered it up again with my damp towel while I took a break/water, no further issues.

    D.
    .
    .
    .

    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • pilot25pilot25 Members Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited Jun 30, 2019 12:39am #168

    Its like any other electronic device. They aren't meant for direct hot sunlight and I bet the radar function really heats up on its own anyway.

    I'm liking the device so far. Sometimes the radar is spot on and sometimes its off 10 yards. I think the heat of the device has something to do with it but I'm not entirely sure. I purchased it more for the GPS function anyway.

  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zip-in-Z said:
    June 28th ... walked 18 today, made an effort to turn on both my G80 & S5 Garmin gadgets at the same time just before going to Hole # 1 T-box and when we walked off #18 made sure to stop & take a pic to confirm both Distance/Odometer and Playing Time. The time traveled was identical, I believe the S5 watch Odometer for distance traveled was inaccurate, buddy said his was just over 4 1/2 miles, the G80 was 4.4 miles. Wonder why the difference between gadget's ... perhaps Luke R. from Garmin Quality Team can advise all of us accordingly.

    D.
    .
    .

    Some devices confuse the motion of your arm that's wearing it with walking. Friends of mine with FitBits will move their arms while sitting to "cheat" and get their 10,000 steps. My guess is the watch you used has similar technology that credits you with distance walked when your arms make certain movements.

    Driver - Home Ping G410 + 9.5*   Away Ping G400 Max 10*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Apex CF-19 5-SW
    Wedge - PXG 58* 
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

    New2g0lf ... interesting suggestion/point, for my next round I'll try to remember to attach the S5 watch to the handle bar's of my push cart, that should keep both gadgets on a level playing field, will update accordingly.

    Not playing on Monday, it's Canada Day, will be marching in the Royal Canadian Legion Color Party with the RCMP, Military as well as our community residents ... it's a big deal for our small town ...... Happy Canada Day to all our Cdn friends/members.

    Cheers

    David

    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • johnnybogeyjohnnybogey Members Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.
    Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?
    Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

  • smasma Members Posts: 28 ✭✭

    @johnnybogey said:
    man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.
    Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?
    Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

    i highly recommend it. the gps functions great and to have the capabilities on the driving range just makes it that much more useful.

    where are you seeing it for $400?

  • pilot25pilot25 Members Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 2, 2019 11:20pm #173

    I finally used it on the course and it was really accurate. I went to a course has gps in the carts which are accurate to the pin location. The G80 was spot on to all the bunkers and green widths. Once I located the pin on the green I double checked the cart and it was accurate. So one would have to have a pin sheet in order to fire at pins. This is a bit of a downside. If you follow Dave Pelz way of hitting 100ish yards in you need to know accurate distances to know what club to use and how to use it. I know my 60* wedge half swing dead hands is 53 yards. The gps cannot be that accurate unless you happen to get lucky and place the pin perfectly on the device. That isn't possible.

    The scorecard function was nice too. Once I got the hang of a rhythm it was quick to use. I wish it had the ability to input number of putts per hole.

  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Piolot25 .... the # of putts/hole is available if you had the ability to upload/download to Garmin connect ....
    .
    .


    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • pilot25pilot25 Members Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

    Is that the beta software with the number of putts?

  • Jimmy2ballsJimmy2balls Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited Jul 3, 2019 3:58am #176

    Zip n Z. I have garmin connect. I can’t get that screen on my g80...

    Never mind....found it stat tracking needs to be on.

  • wedgegamewedgegame Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

    @sma said:

    @johnnybogey said:
    man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.
    Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?
    Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

    i highly recommend it. the gps functions great and to have the capabilities on the driving range just makes it that much more useful.

    where are you seeing it for $400?

    Golf Galaxy is offering $100 off orders of $500 or more. Just add the G80 and a $0.99 solvent bottle (needed to hit the $500 threshold since the G80 is $499.99) to get the discount. Might be other places, but this worked for me.

  • johnnybogeyjohnnybogey Members Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @wedgegame said:

    @sma said:

    @johnnybogey said:
    man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.
    Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?
    Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

    i highly recommend it. the gps functions great and to have the capabilities on the driving range just makes it that much more useful.

    where are you seeing it for $400?

    Golf Galaxy is offering $100 off orders of $500 or more. Just add the G80 and a $0.99 solvent bottle (needed to hit the $500 threshold since the G80 is $499.99) to get the discount. Might be other places, but this worked for me.

    Yeah. I added a bag of tees and the $100 off applied.

    In the end though, I went with the G8 for $250. I already have a GC2 in my garage and times I go to the range, the range balls are crappy so numbers would probably be off.

  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @new2g0lf said:
    Some devices confuse the motion of your arm that's wearing it with walking. Friends of mine with FitBits will move their arms while sitting to "cheat" and get their 10,000 steps. My guess is the watch you used has similar technology that credits you with distance walked when your arms make certain movements.

    .
    .
    July 03, walked 18 today, new2g0lf you were correct ... the Garmin S5 watch & G80 attached side-x-side on my push cart came up with almost the same numbers ...... distance traveled 4.3 miles vs 4.4 miles, ans for time played 3 hrs 10 min vs 3 hrs 11 min., close enough.
    .
    D.
    .
    .

    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zip-in-Z said:

    @new2g0lf said:
    Some devices confuse the motion of your arm that's wearing it with walking. Friends of mine with FitBits will move their arms while sitting to "cheat" and get their 10,000 steps. My guess is the watch you used has similar technology that credits you with distance walked when your arms make certain movements.

    .
    .
    July 03, walked 18 today, new2g0lf you were correct ... the Garmin S5 watch & G80 attached side-x-side on my push cart came up with almost the same numbers ...... distance traveled 4.3 miles vs 4.4 miles, ans for time played 3 hrs 10 min vs 3 hrs 11 min., close enough.
    .
    D.
    .
    .

    I'm glad that solved it.

    Driver - Home Ping G410 + 9.5*   Away Ping G400 Max 10*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Apex CF-19 5-SW
    Wedge - PXG 58* 
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

    New2g0lf .... tks for the suggestion, yup it's solved.
    .
    .
    For those asking about the G80's GPS capabilities, this pic may resolve/answer some of those Q's. Today on #18, I was just over 200 yds to the green (center/white pin), the G80 was 213 yds my S5 watch said 211, lasered the pin with my Bushnell Pro 7 it said I was 214 yds to the stick. Look at the detail/distances the G80 provides the blue/white/red distance marks, the two ponds, ditch/creek, the F/C/B distances of Green vs the S5 watch .... which would you prefer ?

    Hope all our American friends/members have a great Independence Day and enjoy your 4th of July!

    Cheers

    D.
    .
    .

    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file