"Sponsorships" for Junior Golfers?

2»

Comments

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    Can't wait to see this movie.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• BertGABertGA Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    BertGA wrote:
    I mean, if you can’t win golf tournaments, win the sponsorship contest.

And just like that, Rickie won! Just in time to make my post look silly.

I did see him tossing underwear out to the crowd on 16 Saturday. That was priceless.
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭
    I know that college golfers can get discounts on golf equipment. Can any college coaches explain details - and rules - on this?
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,850 ClubWRX
    ChipNRun wrote:

I know that college golfers can get discounts on golf equipment. Can any college coaches explain details - and rules - on this?

Im about 98% positive college players get free equipment. Ucla is sponsored by TM. They get whatever they want.

Correct me if Im wrong.
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,715 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:

ChipNRun wrote:

Im about 98% positive college players get free equipment. Ucla is sponsored by TM. They get whatever they want.

Correct me if Im wrong.

Often the college buys the clubs for the kids. But someone is paying for it unless it’s for a top player. NCAA rules prohibit players from receiving clubs directly from a manufacturer like juniors can.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,850 ClubWRX
    iteachgolf wrote:

kekoa wrote:

ChipNRun wrote:

Correct me if Im wrong.

Often the college buys the clubs for the kids. But someone is paying for it unless it's for a top player. NCAA rules prohibit players from receiving clubs directly from a manufacturer like juniors can.

Thanks. That's why is said 98% sure. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I was exchanging DM's with a marketing guy at TM and asked about his thoughts on young kids and some type of club deal. He said 8-11 too young and highly unlikely unless they know somebody. 12 and older very possible if the kid is a stud.
  • barrysmootbarrysmoot It's Not So Much How You Drive, But How You Arrive ;) Members Posts: 398 ClubWRX
    kekoa wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

kekoa wrote:

ChipNRun wrote:

Correct me if Im wrong.

Often the college buys the clubs for the kids. But someone is paying for it unless it's for a top player. NCAA rules prohibit players from receiving clubs directly from a manufacturer like juniors can.

Thanks. That's why is said 98% sure. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I was exchanging DM's with a marketing guy at TM and asked about his thoughts on young kids and some type of club deal. He said 8-11 too young and highly unlikely unless they know somebody. 12 and older very possible if the kid is a stud.

From what I hear, $10k/year is the max you can receive in equipment, clothing, etc. to keep amateur status and that's along the NCAA rules as a junior, not as an actual player (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Titleist - My close college friend's brother is head of R&D for Titleist. He said they're pretty tight on their process, but they do give stand out juniors 60% off on everything as an equivalent to a sponsorship. There are a few juniors we know that receive this.

Callaway - Callaway is rare to give really young ones discount/hook ups from what I hear, but the 8yr old (now 9) does have a "sponsorship" but I'm not sure what the details are

TaylorMade - An 11yr old junior (on the Short Game series on Netflix) got a sponsorship from TaylorMade by winning the SCPGA Bridgestone Tournament of Champions. His Dad told me a TM rep was at the event and since he won, they approached him, gave them their number and hooked him up.

I don't know the details on the TM sponsorship as I'm not super close with the dad, but there's always the AJGA 40% off discount anyway image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Nike - They do have a junior program where they "sponsor" top juniors with free clothing, apparel, etc. One of the girls we know does receive that.