"Sponsorships" for Junior Golfers?

2»

Comments

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see this movie.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• BertGABertGA Members Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭
    BertGA wrote:
    I mean, if you can’t win golf tournaments, win the sponsorship contest.

And just like that, Rickie won! Just in time to make my post look silly.

I did see him tossing underwear out to the crowd on 16 Saturday. That was priceless.
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that college golfers can get discounts on golf equipment. Can any college coaches explain details - and rules - on this?
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,063 ClubWRX
    ChipNRun wrote:

I know that college golfers can get discounts on golf equipment. Can any college coaches explain details - and rules - on this?

Im about 98% positive college players get free equipment. Ucla is sponsored by TM. They get whatever they want.

Correct me if Im wrong.
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    kekoa wrote:

ChipNRun wrote:

Im about 98% positive college players get free equipment. Ucla is sponsored by TM. They get whatever they want.

Correct me if Im wrong.

Often the college buys the clubs for the kids. But someone is paying for it unless it’s for a top player. NCAA rules prohibit players from receiving clubs directly from a manufacturer like juniors can.
    iteachgolf wrote:

kekoa wrote:

ChipNRun wrote:

Correct me if Im wrong.

Often the college buys the clubs for the kids. But someone is paying for it unless it's for a top player. NCAA rules prohibit players from receiving clubs directly from a manufacturer like juniors can.

Thanks. That's why is said 98% sure. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I was exchanging DM's with a marketing guy at TM and asked about his thoughts on young kids and some type of club deal. He said 8-11 too young and highly unlikely unless they know somebody. 12 and older very possible if the kid is a stud.
  • barrysmootbarrysmoot It's Not So Much How You Drive, But How You Arrive ;) Members Posts: 398 ClubWRX
    kekoa wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

kekoa wrote:

ChipNRun wrote:

Correct me if Im wrong.

Often the college buys the clubs for the kids. But someone is paying for it unless it's for a top player. NCAA rules prohibit players from receiving clubs directly from a manufacturer like juniors can.

Thanks. That's why is said 98% sure. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I was exchanging DM's with a marketing guy at TM and asked about his thoughts on young kids and some type of club deal. He said 8-11 too young and highly unlikely unless they know somebody. 12 and older very possible if the kid is a stud.

From what I hear, $10k/year is the max you can receive in equipment, clothing, etc. to keep amateur status and that's along the NCAA rules as a junior, not as an actual player (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Titleist - My close college friend's brother is head of R&D for Titleist. He said they're pretty tight on their process, but they do give stand out juniors 60% off on everything as an equivalent to a sponsorship. There are a few juniors we know that receive this.

Callaway - Callaway is rare to give really young ones discount/hook ups from what I hear, but the 8yr old (now 9) does have a "sponsorship" but I'm not sure what the details are

TaylorMade - An 11yr old junior (on the Short Game series on Netflix) got a sponsorship from TaylorMade by winning the SCPGA Bridgestone Tournament of Champions. His Dad told me a TM rep was at the event and since he won, they approached him, gave them their number and hooked him up.

I don't know the details on the TM sponsorship as I'm not super close with the dad, but there's always the AJGA 40% off discount anyway image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Nike - They do have a junior program where they "sponsor" top juniors with free clothing, apparel, etc. One of the girls we know does receive that.

Just recently, I was informed that two kids we know well were approached by TM to be junior ambassadors. Both are 11 yrs old, which kind of floored me. Neither kid is a superstar, but are very good golfers. Above that, they are very well mannered kids and handle themselves with a lot of class in tournament play. One of the kids got an invite to the Kingdom for a full fitting. From what I hear, reps have been attending some larger local tournaments to check out some kids. With that said, they are also interested in kids who are somewhat big for their age who won't require a lot of altering (length wise) for fittings. At the younger ages, winning isn't really a factor either which I found very interesting.

• Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭

I can tell you for a fact that the ones who are getting stuff are told not to talk about it. They aren’t supposed to give out info on what they get because different kids get different things from the companies. Callaway has a tiered system and they actually define
    what it takes to be at each level. So my guess is much of what of you see is false info.

• hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kekoa said:
    Just recently, I was informed that two kids we know well were approached by TM to be junior ambassadors. Both are 11 yrs old, which kind of floored me. Neither kid is a superstar, but are very good golfers. Above that, they are very well mannered kids and handle themselves with a lot of class in tournament play. One of the kids got an invite to the Kingdom for a full fitting. From what I hear, reps have been attending some larger local tournaments to check out some kids. With that said, they are also interested in kids who are somewhat big for their age who won't require a lot of altering (length wise) for fittings. At the younger ages, winning isn't really a factor either which I found very interesting.

If neither are standouts , there has to be a hook for the Manufacturers I would think. Do they have a big SM presence?

@hangontight said:

@kekoa said:

If neither are standouts , there has to be a hook for the Manufacturers I would think. Do they have a big SM presence?

Thats what I was thinking. I'm not sure of the hook yet. I'm told that some oem's are planting seeds with kids earlier in hopes that they chose a particular OEM when the times comes and they break through. I will say that if they see bad behavior on the course by the child or parent they won't do anything no matter how good the kid is. Also, the two kids I know don't have a big SM presence at all. Both have under 1,000 followers on IG.

• propredicrpropredicr Members Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭

I know for a fact that TM reps were at IMG rounds, as I spoke to one and another was following a boy in my son’s group. I heard they just sponsored him and he was sporting the hat and irons. Didn’t notice bag/ball. Really nice kid.

@propredicr said:
    I know for a fact that TM reps were at IMG rounds, as I spoke to one and another was following a boy in my son’s group. I heard they just sponsored him and he was sporting the hat and irons. Didn’t notice bag/ball. Really nice kid.

Yup. Seems like they were definitely at IMG and practice rounds since one of the courses is TM's home track.

How old was the kid that got sponsored?

• propredicrpropredicr Members Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
  • Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭

On the girls side very few get any perks. I’ve spoken to several of the fathers who have kids in my daughters age group none are getting anything. These girls are the elite of the elite for that age group so if anyone was getting stuff, it would be them. The sponsorships is obviously more prevalent with boys. They do send reps out to big tournaments to watch kids and behavior is a factor into their decisions. The kids aren’t required to do anything special
    other than wear the clothing/shoes. In some cases like my buddies son, he alternates what he wears because he gets stuff from
    two different companies.

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 20, 2019 1:56am #47

Everyone gets a Taylormade discount just for joining AGJA. Beyond that I found Mizuno and callaway also will offer similar discounts for juniors but you need to ask for them.

If you have a pro shop at your local course and the head golf pro vouches for you it goes a long way. If you belong to a club this is a benefit your head pro can help with. i Just avoid buying clubs at a big retailer if you want a discount.

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Golfingdawg19 said:
    On the girls side very few get any perks. I’ve spoken to several of the fathers who have kids in my daughters age group none are getting anything. These girls are the elite of the elite for that age group so if anyone was getting stuff, it would be them. The sponsorships is obviously more prevalent with boys. They do send reps out to big tournaments to watch kids and behavior is a factor into their decisions. The kids aren’t required to do anything special
    other than wear the clothing/shoes. In some cases like my buddies son, he alternates what he wears because he gets stuff from
    two different companies.

One thing with girls is I find a lot stuff either doesn’t fit or they just do not like it. This makes it hard for anyone to hand out clothing for them to wear. As an example My daughter hates Nike clothes and shoes so she wouldn’t wear it if was free. The stuff she likes is usually low volume lines that isn’t as common.

@tiger1873 said:
    Everyone gets a Taylormade discount just for joining AGJA. Beyond that I found Mizuno and callaway also will offer similar discounts for juniors but you need to ask for them.

If you have a pro shop at your local course and the head golf pro vouches for you it goes a long way. If you belong to a club this is a benefit your head pro can help with. i Just avoid buying clubs at a big retailer if you want a discount.

I would check on that again. Last time I looked, AJGA stopped the TM discount unless you are actually an AJGA player. If you had a membership prior to this year, it may be grandfathered. My friend just tried to sign up as a future player and the discount was no longer offered.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kekoa said:

@tiger1873 said:

I would check on that again. Last time I looked, AJGA stopped the TM discount unless you are actually an AJGA player. If you had a membership prior to this year, it may be grandfathered. My friend just tried to sign up as a future player and the discount was no longer offered.

If you sign up for the $280 membership or whatever it is, you get the discount.

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@heavy_hitter said:

@kekoa said:

@tiger1873 said:

Guess I should stock up on balls soon.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@leezer99 said:

@heavy_hitter said:

@kekoa said:

@tiger1873 said:

Guess I should stock up on balls soon.

Well worth it. I have about 8 dozen in the garage.

• JoshB10JoshB10 Members Posts: 27 ✭✭

Doesn’t this have some type of affect on future eligibility for college/university? I know when I went through the process of gaining eligibility they asked all types of questions on whether I was paid or accepted merchandise. Could’ve changed since then since it’s been 10 years or so, just curious.

• iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JoshB10 said:
    Doesn’t this have some type of affect on future eligibility for college/university? I know when I went through the process of gaining eligibility they asked all types of questions on whether I was paid or accepted merchandise. Could’ve changed since then since it’s been 10 years or so, just curious.

No. And it didn’t 10 years ago either. Can get products as a junior golfer but once in college everything has to be done through the school. Then cannot send you clubs directly once in school.

• JoshB10JoshB10 Members Posts: 27 ✭✭

@iteachgolf said:

@JoshB10 said:

No. And it didn’t 10 years ago either. Can get products as a junior golfer but once in college everything has to be done through the school. Then cannot send you clubs directly once in school.

Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file