Driver Thoughts - Callaway Epic Flash vs. Cobra F9

Comments

• CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members Posts: 8,063 ✭✭
    I hit both at a recent demo day. Both are excellent but I preferred the 3-5 yd fade the Epic Flash SZ was giving me. That stated, both are fantastic.
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U (coming soon = G410)
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • SwingBladeSwingBlade SoCalMembers Posts: 882 ✭✭
    edited Feb 26, 2019 8:41pm #123
    Krt22 wrote:

SwingBlade wrote:

Forgot to mention that the F9 44.5” Tour Length option driver comes with the standard 14g weight in the rear. But, instead of the standard 2g weight in the front, it comes with a 6g weight in the front to help with the swingweight. This was a big plus to me compared to most other OEMs.

The tour length should come with 18/6g weights...

]

I appreciate the input. It appears you may be right. I just saw the 18/6g weight numbers on the Cobra F9 Tour Length web order page. I’ll find out tomorrow which is correct, the club I ordered and just received or the current version of the webpage. Also, the actual length with a normal mid size grip is 44.25 which is perfect with me.

On the other hand, the actual swing weight of my club as ordered with a Golf Pride Multi Compound Mid Size Grip is D5. So, an 18/6g weight combo would probably put the swing weight up to maybe D7 or D8? So I’m guessing that they put in the 14/6g weight combo for that reason. Anyway, I will check tomorrow. Thanks again.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra King F9 Tour Length Speedback 10.5 ATMOS TS Blue 6S 44.25” D5 14g/6g wts
    Cobra King F9 Speedback 4W & 6W ATMOS TS Blue 7S D3
    Miura CB57 4-PW KBS Tour Black Pearl S D5-D7
    Miura K-grind 52, 56, 60, & 64 KBS Wedge S D8
    Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794)
    Bushnell Hybrid GPS Rangefinder (2019)
    Pro V1X

Backup/travel: '18 M3 440, M1/M2 FW's, MP-64's and Vokey WedgeWorks 52F, 56V & 60V
  • HuskyFanHuskyFan ClubWRX Posts: 85 ClubWRX
    Does someone have the headweight with no adapter for a regular epic flash driver?
  • juggernaut0629juggernaut0629 Members Posts: 985 ✭✭
    I hit them both. Absolutely hated the Flash. Picked up a F9 & it's good. **** good. However I want to try the G410+ also.
    Ping G LST 9*
    Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
    X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
    Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
    Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*
  • SDLSDL Members Posts: 352 ✭✭
    HuskyFan wrote:

Does someone have the headweight with no adapter for a regular epic flash driver?

My Epic Flash (not SZ) head weighs 192 grams with the standard 16 gram sliding weight.
  • MMB1500MMB1500 Members Posts: 6,340 ✭✭
    edited Feb 28, 2019 5:35pm #127

The only concern you should have about buying a Cobra is that you may never buy a driver from anyone else again. I've pretty much owned everything out there from 2013 forward, and I have to say that everyone except for Cobra has put out some duds in that time. They just keep on cranking out quality offering after quality offering, and for less money. For some reason, since Rickie Fowler and Bryson DeChambeau play them and they make them in colors sometimes, some people don't take them seriously.

I agree. Probably my favourite driver of all time is the Cobra S9-1 Pro S.

Cobra went through a bit of an identity crisis but have now transitioned to being a high quality, classy brand.

For a long time Cobra was the club of choice for grandads and old duffers with artificial hips who could barely hit it beyond the ladies' tees. They tried so hard (too hard) to shake that image and appeal to a younger crowd that they massively overcompensated by releasing drivers in various garish colours with "cool" sounding names i.e. all the MyFly nonsense which was bobbins. This was back when Poulter was a brand ambassador.

Now they've thankfully settled down and are a lot more sure of themselves as a brand and are offering some of the best stuff on the market.
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,771 ✭✭
    My head to head test is over. F9 won hands down, Epic flash on the way to the new owner today.

M6 is next for testing!
  • t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭
    Krt22 wrote:

My head to head test is over. F9 won hands down, Epic flash on the way to the new owner today.

M6 is next for testing!

Have you tried the SZ at all?
    Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Callaway Alpha 816 DBD 14* - Diamana D+ 70x
    Titleist 913H 21* - Matrix Altus X
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.11T - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway MD4 Raw 60.08C - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,771 ✭✭
    I did. I ultimately went with the standard Flash over the SZ due to dispersion as I was getting very playable spin numbers with the standard. SZ lost out to the standard in the sound department as well. I hit the F9 during my fitting but in a config that just didn't suit me (10.5 head, heavy weight back).

I ordered the F9 on a whim in 9* just as an experiment honestly, since it had glowing reviews, sounded great, and was (relatively) dirt cheap.

Ultimately went with the F9 over the flash since it had same/better dispersion, greater ball speed, and better sound/feel. Whole club was only a bit more than I sold the Flash head only, so that definitely helps

CC didn't have the M5/M6 head so I didn't get a chance at it. Went to a demo day and the M6 behaved much my the F9 so I will give it a whirl, but the F9 is firmly in the bag.
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 7,046 ✭✭

I hit them both. Absolutely hated the Flash. Picked up a F9 & it's good. **** good. However I want to try the G410+ also.

Strokes for folks!
  • DivinDaveDivinDave Longview TexasMembers Posts: 539 ✭✭
    edited Feb 28, 2019 11:02pm #132
    And I have been perfectly happy and loving my Cobra 4 year old driver....until I read this thread. Now I have a F9 itch that needs scratching.
    Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • deep18deep18 Members Posts: 1,900 ✭✭
    Been bagging a ZL for a long time and after a little flirtation with an LTD a couple years ago it looks like the F9 is finally going to be the one to replace the ZL for good. Something about Cobra drivers...
  • DivinDaveDivinDave Longview TexasMembers Posts: 539 ✭✭
    Yup. Overall, I was never big on Cobra but their drivers are as solid as any.

deep18 wrote:

......Something about Cobra drivers...
    Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • mmaloney23mmaloney23 Boston Golfer Members Posts: 711 ✭✭
    leftycabe wrote:

Hey Guys,

I am torn between the Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero and the Cobra F9 drivers for this year. I played the G400 LST in 2018 and never fell in love with it. I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to hit these side by side. Before I get the standard response of, "you have to hit both and get fit..." please understand I am looking for other people's experiences and I am hoping to get the opportunity to hit both at some point. Ideally, I'd like to buy in the next 1-2 weeks.

Please let me know what your thoughts are. My game - playing off a 6 handicap. Used to play a lot, now about once a week in the summer. Hoping to play a lot more this year. Hit an average drive about 285-290 with mid trajectory. Usually hit a slight fade as I used to be terrified of the hook in my competitive days.

While I agree with you that the yellow one looked a little busy for me as well I can’t deny that the white one hands-down is the better looking of the two and is much more stealth and less less busier. The rear of the crown that polish carbon looks like the back of the Callaway but the front being Matte looks very very nice in my opinion for me it was between the PXG Titleist TS3 and Cobra F9 and once I hit the F9, speed swing control off-center hits and then just pure distance from F9 hands-down was the best driver for me. To each their own obviously but if you’re trying to pick between the Callaway in the cobra my vote goes for the cobra F9 but in the avalanche white version that comes with matte crown.
    Driver - Ping G410 LST
    Fairway - Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero
    Hybrid - Titleist 818 H2 17deg Hybrid with Mitsubishi Tensei White
    Hybrid - Ping i25 24deg

Taylormade P790 5-AW w/KBS C-Taper
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54 & 58 w/ KBS Custom matte black wedge shaft

Putters: PXG GEN2 "The Closer" Putter , PXG GEN1 "Bat Attack"
    Vice Pro Soft - Lime green
    Custom Robert Mark Snow Camo / Skull Headcovers
  • MG 1977MG 1977 Members Posts: 1,647
    I've owned both and now I just own the Epic Flash standard. For info I play off a competition handicap of 4 and driver swing speed is around 105mph.

I had the white/matt Cobra and it looked superb and the sound was awesome. It was a 10.5° with Smoke 6.5 shaft. I was more than happy with the performance and thought I'd found my driver for the season... but the ho in my was still tempted by the Flash. I bought one with credit I had in the pro shop and hit them head to head. I'd say the F9 had the long ball out of the 2 but the Flash was not far behind. I preferred the sound and feel of the F9 so at this point the Flash was looking like an expensive mistake.

I then had a week where my swing was very off. The Flash was still up in the same areas as usual with high toe strikes or low heel strikes. The F9 I'm afraid was way back on my normal areas, still in play but 20 - 30 yards back.

The following week my swing was back on and results with both drivers were very similar once again with the f9 maybe 4 yards further on average but the Flash found more fairways. At this point i had decided that the flash was the one for me. I put a Callaway tip on my Attas Punch shaft which lowered the flight a tad compared to the smoke and found that extra few yards whilst still hitting a lot of fairways. I quickly sold the F9 and I'm more than happy with my choice Epic 💥 is the perfect blend of distance and fairways for me.
  • ian-500ian-500 Members Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Epic Flash SZ sounds and feels terrible in comparison to the F9. To be fair most divers sound and feel terrible compared to the F9. Flash was not as consistent for centre strikes as the F9 for me.

Flash was tested on a range compared to my Amp Cell Pro and M5 and the F9 was on an indoor LM compared to my Amp Cell Pro.
    Cobra F9 8* + Fujikura Speeder TR757x.
    Adams XTD 18* + Matrix White Tie x.
    Adams Pro 23 Tour Issue + Tour AD UT95x
    Adams DHY Pro 27 + UST Irod 105x.
    Adams XTD Forged Tour Issue 6i - GW + UST Recoil Prototype 125F5.
    Callaway PM19 54/58 + KBS Hi-Rev.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300, Garsen.
  • Nic1972Nic1972 Members Posts: 703 ✭✭
    edited Mar 7, 2019 7:04am #138
    I was not able to hit the F9, however I have to say that the sound of the Flash SZ is very nice on good shots, very powerful, at least for me. On bad shots, especially low on the heel, the driver is loud, but I don’t mind, as you also get an “acoustic feedback” about the quality of the strike.
    Driver: Nike Covert Pro 2.0 / Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Ltd 60 S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    Mini-Driver: Callaway X2Hot 2-Deep / Aldila Tour Green ATX75 3.7 S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    3-Wood: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 TP / Matrix Ozik Rul 80 S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    DI: Adams DHY Pro (18') / Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 82H S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black /White
    Hybrids: Titleist 585H (21°); Adams 9031 Pro (24°) / Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 82H S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    Irons: Mizuno MP H-5 (4 Iron); Mizuno MP 4 (5 - PW) / Mitsubishi OT-I 105 S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    Wedges: Vokey SM 7 (50F08, 54M08, 58L04) / Project X LZ 6.0 / Golf Pride MCC Align Black /White
    Putter: Yes Callie & Scotty Cameron California Fastback / UST Mamiya Frequency Filtered / Golf Pride Tour SNSR 104 Pistol
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
    Apparel: Nike
    Glove: Nike Tour Classic
    Shoes: Nike Lunar Command 2
    Bag: Nike
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,946 ✭✭
    Callaway had to make the flash sound and feel terrible otherwise they would have monopolized the Driver market this year. That wouldn’t have been fair.
  • Tiger1016!Tiger1016! Member Members Posts: 49
    The F9 was the winner for me with the Epic Flash Sub Zero coming in at a somewhat close second after my fitting at Club Champion. It was the higher smash factor, slightly better average spin, and preference for the weight adjustments in the F9 that won me over.

The dellimma that I am now facing is which shaft to order.

I was fitted into the Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 X. However, this is not an option when ordering the F9. On the other hand, there are other no cost options that are supposed have identical low launch low spin characteristics as the Kiyoshi Black (according to the Titleist shaft chart), but these were not available to hit during my fitting. I plan to order one of the free options then go back in for a head to head to see if the upgrade still makes sense.

Shaft / Weight / Torque

1) EvenFlow T1100 White 65 6.5 / 68 / 3.0

2) EvenFlow T1100 White 75 6.5 / 76 / 3.0

3) Atmos TS Black 7 X / 76 / 3.0

4) Atmos TS Black 6 X / 69 / 3.4

Vs.

Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 X / 72 / 3.3

~114 swing speed, aggressive transition, slight upward angle of attack. I struggle with keeping spin down but higher launch couldn't hurt.

Any suggestions?

Callaway had to make the flash sound and feel terrible otherwise they would have monopolized the Driver market this year. That wouldn’t have been fair.

I'm going to have call your opinion on sound/feel.....my sub feels amazingly solid and while it has sound(not muted) it certainly not ear splitting or OBNOXIOUS...
  • woods991woods991 believelandClubWRX Posts: 2,359 ✭✭
    The f9 is the winner in my book the flash is imo the 4th best of 2019. Something about Cobra and their drivers and this one finally out performs the old LZ insane. I had mine built by jdsclubs and when ordering I asked him about the F9 and he mentioned that he could order me anything but the driver to have is the f9. Keep in mind some of the others were more money so if he was selling to sell he would have swayed me to the Cally etc. good for Cobra for making a product that is superior to the “big boys”, great feeling and sounding not to mention the longest. Think of the g400 max of last year with great feel and sound and actually in long.
    Signature of Solon CC
    Callaway Flash 10.5* Diamana BF 60 44.75”
    Titleist TS2 15* Diamana RF 70 43”
    Titleist 917 f2 18* Diamana  Thump 70
    Titleist 718 Ap2 5~PW Steelfiber i80s; Cobra F9 4 iron Speedback  Atmos 6s
    Taylormade 50*, 55*, 60* Milled Grind Wedge Tour Only Nippon NS Pro WV 125S
    Evnroll ER9 Superstroke ultra slim 1.0p 33”
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,371 ClubWRX
    SwooshLT wrote:

Callaway had to make the flash sound and feel terrible otherwise they would have monopolized the Driver market this year. That wouldn't have been fair.

I'm going to have call your opinion on sound/feel.....my sub feels amazingly solid and while it has sound(not muted) it certainly not ear splitting or OBNOXIOUS...

Strokes for folks!!

The sound and feel of the EFSZ was awful IMO.
    TM Mini 11.5 Pro white 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 118 ✭✭
    edited Mar 12, 2019 7:13am #144
    Warrick wrote:

SwooshLT wrote:

Callaway had to make the flash sound and feel terrible otherwise they would have monopolized the Driver market this year. That wouldn't have been fair.

Strokes for folks!!

The sound and feel of the EFSZ was awful IMO.

Maybe I'm not hitting the middle enough (!) but my EFSZ sounds great! I've only been on the course once and the range 3 or 4 times but off centre strikes are a lot quieter, tinnier than centre strikes. Centre strikes sound a little higher pitch than thuddy (are these even words?!). The range balls are like rocks. I play Chrome Soft and on the course there was a noticeable difference between the two.

It's all subjective. I suffer from mild tinnitus so may not be quite so attuned to the higher pitch.
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,371 ClubWRX
    I have to wonder if some heads are louder than others in the SZ. I am a loyal Callaway guy at top and bottom of bag, but this one just did not do it for me.

I am sure a lot will love it.
    TM Mini 11.5 Pro white 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
    Warrick wrote:

I have to wonder if some heads are louder than others in the SZ. I am a loyal Callaway guy at top and bottom of bag, but this one just did not do it for me.

The 1st review I saw on YouTube was a MAJOR turnoff as were the initial feedback reports on here....I loved the shape and hearing it was easier to turn over was a big intrigue for as my M3 was impossible.....I had no intent on buying a 2019 club ....went to superstore and hit everything....ts3, 410, m5,f9 and EFSZ... came down to F9 and EFSZ.

F9 far more of a muted club which is fine but it sat closed to my eye and spins more hence 10yds shorter.....maybe it's a head to head audible variation but my model is definitely not Sumo loud/LV4 loud
  • hgtiger24hgtiger24 Members Posts: 51 ✭✭
    1. For me, better shaft options than Cally

i think that answers it - the shaft is the most important part of the club when you're looking at 2 reputable manufacturers
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,808 ✭✭
    SwooshLT wrote:

Warrick wrote:

The 1st review I saw on YouTube was a MAJOR turnoff as were the initial feedback reports on here....I loved the shape and hearing it was easier to turn over was a big intrigue for as my M3 was impossible.....I had no intent on buying a 2019 club ....went to superstore and hit everything....ts3, 410, m5,f9 and EFSZ... came down to F9 and EFSZ.

F9 far more of a muted club which is fine but it sat closed to my eye and spins more hence 10yds shorter.....maybe it's a head to head audible variation but my model is definitely not Sumo loud/LV4 loud

That's for sure. I had both and there's no way the EFSZ is that loud.

Someone (you ?) suggested Cally might have made a quick adjustment for production heads. The EFSZ I hit in the stores didn't sound nearly so loud but I took one out to the course for 3 days and it was definitely louder than in the store (but still not L4V/Sumo loud).

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56*, 60* DGS300
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • arobbins3arobbins3 MichiganMembers Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I have hit both multiple times now. I'm deciding on a new driver as well. Both are great drivers and will perform.

Personally, I like the F9 better. Feel, sound and performance numbers were all better for me.

Cobra F9 (9.5°) - Atmos Black 6s
    Cobra F9 (14.5°) - Atmos Blue 7s
    Titleist 816 H1 (19° and 23°) - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.8 HB TS
    Cobra KING Forged CB/MB (5-PW,GW) - Project X LZ 6.0
    Miura 2018 Wedge Series (55° and 60°)
    TaylorMade Spider X

• jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 409 ✭✭
    I've been playing the Callaway Rogue Draw for the last year and just wondering if I should invest the time getting fitted for an F9 in the hopes of picking up some distance? Any thoughts?
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,544 ✭✭
    jjfcpa wrote:
    I've been playing the Callaway Rogue Draw for the last year and just wondering if I should invest the time getting fitted for an F9 in the hopes of picking up some distance? Any thoughts?

If your asking then I think you know the answer?

Got get one!!
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link