PING 400 irons vs G410

2

Comments

  • Lancj1Lancj1 Members Posts: 884 ✭✭
    By the way, completely agree with the want rather than need context. Nothing wrong with that. I’d love to be the guy with ten year old irons and genuinely not bothered however I can’t...maybe the 410 will be my forever iron ?!?!
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

    Disclaimer*

    I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,352 ✭✭
    Lancj1 wrote:


    By the way, completely agree with the want rather than need context. Nothing wrong with that. I’d love to be the guy with ten year old irons and genuinely not bothered however I can’t...maybe the 410 will be my forever iron ?!?!




    The new offerings make it tough from an eye candy standpoint. I almost bought some i200 just because they were pretty. I'm glad I like the looks of the G400 over the G410. I'm trying to see if I can hang in at least for a few years. Once you admit the truth that the new offerings are not game changers, it becomes all about what you want in your bag.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 456 ✭✭
    edited Jan 29, 2019 6:18am #34
    Are the irons already available in the shops fitting carts?



    I didn't see a lot of first impressions from WXRers, but I thought they were already available since last week, also considering that release date is 07 Feb.



    It would be interesting if somebody makes a good comparison between the two. I tend to believe WRXers more than youtube reviews.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,246 ✭✭
    Marco Colo wrote:










    I tend to believe WRXers more than youtube reviews.




    I wouldn't trust either my friend. Club testing done by anybody but yourself has very little to do with what your results will be.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

    Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

    Snell MTB Black
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 456 ✭✭
    lawsonman wrote:

    Marco Colo wrote:


    I tend to believe WRXers more than youtube reviews.




    I wouldn't trust either my friend. Club testing done by anybody but yourself has very little to do with what your results will be.




    I have already pre ordered, so it doesn't really matter. It is more related to first impressions and feelings, rather than an information for decision making.



    Also I would like to know if the g410 irons hit the shops and are available to be tested by consumers or not yet in US.
  • e-mane-man Members Posts: 2,055 ✭✭
    Didn't the G series irons go to a hollow body design at some point, which affected feel and sound?
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,246 ✭✭
    e-man wrote:
    Didn't the G series irons go to a hollow body design at some point, which affected feel and sound?


    No sir.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

    Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

    Snell MTB Black
  • e-mane-man Members Posts: 2,055 ✭✭
    lawsonman wrote:

    e-man wrote:
    Didn't the G series irons go to a hollow body design at some point, which affected feel and sound?


    No sir.




    Nothing? Thinner face? Like the XRs? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that starting with the G, there was a thinning of the face and more of a trampoline effect.
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 781 ✭✭
    e-man wrote:

    lawsonman wrote:

    e-man wrote:
    Didn't the G series irons go to a hollow body design at some point, which affected feel and sound?


    No sir.




    Nothing? Thinner face? Like the XRs? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that starting with the G, there was a thinning of the face and more of a trampoline effect.


    Yes, the Gs and G400s have thinner faces and COR-Eye technology.



    Personally, I don't think this does much. I have played both the G25 and G400, and think they fly basically the same (distance and trajectory for same loft). Maybe the G400s retain some more speed on off centre hits.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,246 ✭✭
    e-man wrote:

    lawsonman wrote:

    e-man wrote:
    Didn't the G series irons go to a hollow body design at some point, which affected feel and sound?


    No sir.




    Nothing? Thinner face? Like the XRs? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that starting with the G, there was a thinning of the face and more of a trampoline effect.




    Thinner face but not hollow.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

    Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

    Snell MTB Black
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,354 ✭✭
    edited Jan 29, 2019 8:51pm #42
    With irons, thinner face = louder, metallic sound. Especially on mishits. Much like the i500/700.



    I keep repeating myself on this but the Mizuno Hot Metal's have a thin and springy face but they sound more solid than most spring face irons. Mizuno's ad copy mentions something about the ribs around the face improving the sound. Ping added an "internal rib structure" to their G400 driver to improve sound compared to the G driver that came before so there is some method to the madness. In my experience if you play a soft ball like a Chrome Soft or Wilson Duo the sound won't matter as much much compared to guys that like one of those hard "X" type balls. Not everyone cares about the sound but it is something to be aware of.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • collingsom1acollingsom1a Chicago, ILMembers Posts: 835 ✭✭
    Nessism wrote:


    Every new G model has been a "tweak" of the previous, but in the full lifeline the 410 seems more of a step function compared to most other new releases; Less offset and smaller size are significant, even if it's just 10%. The sound is what I'm interested in, and hope the claim of less clickyness is true.




    I've only been able to hit the 7 iron demo. In about 10 days, I'll be testing an entire set in Phoenix.....my dad is buying a set of them and I'll play with them for 3 solid days, and I'll report back. Based on just hitting the 7 iron, the sound is much better as opposed to the G or G400's, and it sets up cleaner at address, thinner top line, less offset. I hit the G410 7 iron with a higher launch angle than I do with the Mizuno 919 HM's (my current set). I have always fought hitting the ball lower than most folks. I hit the 919HM 7 iron at about 17.5 degrees. I hit the Ping G410 at about 18.5 - 19 degrees, and get about 7 yards more carry than the 919HM. Total distance is about the same because the Mizuno rolls out quite a bit due to the lower trajectory. The Ping spins more and stops quicker. If the rest of the set reproduces similar results, I'll probably get the g410 irons. I'm guessing, based on my experience hitting the G410 irons, that their will be some folks who will find the higher launch angle of the G410 as unacceptable, however one can them wit the Power Specs to bring the launch angle down. Anyway.......I'll report back in about 2 weeks on my overall impression of the G410 irons.
    Hey man, I'm the dude
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 456 ✭✭

    Nessism wrote:


    Every new G model has been a "tweak" of the previous, but in the full lifeline the 410 seems more of a step function compared to most other new releases; Less offset and smaller size are significant, even if it's just 10%. The sound is what I'm interested in, and hope the claim of less clickyness is true.




    I've only been able to hit the 7 iron demo. In about 10 days, I'll be testing an entire set in Phoenix.....my dad is buying a set of them and I'll play with them for 3 solid days, and I'll report back. Based on just hitting the 7 iron, the sound is much better as opposed to the G or G400's, and it sets up cleaner at address, thinner top line, less offset. I hit the G410 7 iron with a higher launch angle than I do with the Mizuno 919 HM's (my current set). I have always fought hitting the ball lower than most folks. I hit the 919HM 7 iron at about 17.5 degrees. I hit the Ping G410 at about 18.5 - 19 degrees, and get about 7 yards more carry than the 919HM. Total distance is about the same because the Mizuno rolls out quite a bit due to the lower trajectory. The Ping spins more and stops quicker. If the rest of the set reproduces similar results, I'll probably get the g410 irons. I'm guessing, based on my experience hitting the G410 irons, that their will be some folks who will find the higher launch angle of the G410 as unacceptable, however one can them wit the Power Specs to bring the launch angle down. Anyway.......I'll report back in about 2 weeks on my overall impression of the G410 irons.




    You just made my day
  • dbleagdbleag Members Posts: 2,876 ✭✭
    I really don't want lower spin than my G400 irons.
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 456 ✭✭
    dbleag wrote:


    I really don't want lower spin than my G400 irons.




    I basically saw all the reviews on YouTube and I would say that there is not a definite answer. Some say the 410 spin less, other that spin more.

  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,327 ✭✭
    e-man wrote:


    Didn't the G series irons go to a hollow body design at some point, which affected feel and sound?




    That would be the G700; larger profile, more offset, and hot as all get out.



    But some older guys are loving them.
    Boyhood, like measles, is one of those complaints which a man should catch young and have done with it, for when it comes in middle life it is apt to be serious. - P. G. Wodehouse
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 456 ✭✭
    gvogel wrote:

    e-man wrote:


    Didn't the G series irons go to a hollow body design at some point, which affected feel and sound?




    That would be the G700; larger profile, more offset, and hot as all get out.



    But some older guys are loving them.




    Shhhh. When I started a post asking for the age of the users, although the average was well over 50, they wanted to say that age is not an indicator ������
  • BankerBanker Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    Getting to hit the 410 on Thursday with a variety of shafts. Can’t wait. Didn’t get along with the 400’s though. I’ll report back after
    M1 10.5*
    RBZ Stage 2 14*
    Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Ping I25 3-UW
    Ping Tour S 54* & 60*
    Piretti CW II
  • lil'mikelil'mike Members Posts: 1,279 ✭✭
    dbleag wrote:


    I really don't want lower spin than my G400 irons.




    The spin rate is up to the golfer! I just watched a video of Mark Crossfield I think it was do a review on the G400 irons playing with some guy that also hit them and Mark hit the pretty low spin but the other guys spin rate was higher and not much of an issue!
  • collingsom1acollingsom1a Chicago, ILMembers Posts: 835 ✭✭
    edited Feb 13, 2019 10:37pm #51
    I said in an earlier post I'd report back after playing with them. So, here it goes.



    They are slightly smaller than the G400, but noticeably less offset, and that is a good thing. I like the smaller size and less offset, but the biggest change I noticed in playing them was the change in sound. As makers keep thinning out faces, the iron can have a clunky sound to them, but these sound great to my ears. Sound like my old G25's did!!!



    These seem to launch the ball higher than the G400 irons, but I'm seeing about the same distance that I saw in the G400's, maybe a tad more. But, these clubs seem more manageable to me as they look great at address, and I love the less offset. That's the biggest improvement in my mind.



    I'll seriously consider these clubs for my bag this year, but I'm also digging the Cobra F9's. I'll wait til I can get outside and demo them both, but I am equally excited about these as I am about the F9's!!!



    The woods are all nice, but not that big of an improvement over the G400's. I wouldn't change my G400 MAX for the G410.
    Hey man, I'm the dude
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    Lets get real, Ping needs to sell clubs, so they introduced the G410s. Cosmetic difference only from the G400 (which I use). I have hit the new G410s and got. the same numbers and results as the G400s.



    If you are going from some other brand and want Pings, go ahead and buy the newest. On the other hand if you already have the G400 irons, don't waste your money. The same set of irons with a new title. If your in to posing and want to say "look what I have new", go for the G410s.



    Go check comparisons on You Tube.
  • Jacob37Jacob37 Members Posts: 95 ClubWRX
    Guia wrote:


    Lets get real, Ping needs to sell clubs, so they introduced the G410s. Cosmetic difference only from the G400 (which I use). I have hit the new G410s and got. the same numbers and results as the G400s.



    If you are going from some other brand and want Pings, go ahead and buy the newest. On the other hand if you already have the G400 irons, don't waste your money. The same set of irons with a new title. If your in to posing and want to say "look what I have new", go for the G410s.



    Go check comparisons on You Tube.




    I also swing the g400s. I demoed the 410s and yea they are nice but i don’t think there’s much difference, and def can’t justify the “upgrade”
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,195 ClubWRX
    I think they look notably different from the G400. Head is smaller and this is the first time in years we’ve seen Ping reduce the offset in this lineup. As for performance, a lot of clubs perform similarly. But there are differences noticeable from address.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • realitycheckrealitycheck Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    Tried them today. This is where the lack of offset is finally becoming too much (for me).



    I want some offset in an iron like this.

    About 15 shots was all I needed to determine they aren't for me, sadly.
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,352 ✭✭
    edited Feb 20, 2019 3:08pm #56
    I caved today. I had $700 in shop credit in VA and my VA bag is sans irons. I've been debating on which PINGs to order and was seriously considering jumping to the G410. Currently playing G400 and LOVING them since last April. After today's round I realized just how much I trust these stix, so I ordered an identical set. They have just the right amount of offset for me and the sole and topline look perfect to me. Viva la G400!
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    edited Feb 20, 2019 3:24pm #57
    If you are a Ping fan (I am) I have come to the realization that concerning cavity iron that the biggest difference between the Ping Eye 2's and ALL later models are the LOFTS! The Eye2s have extreme perimeters and simply no iron can physically be more extreme. I make no apology for my opinion. Play any current model and then play the Eye2's, the only difference is distance.



    Now, I am a club **** just like everyone else. Through the years I am sure I have used at least 50+ of different sets of Pings and other makers (this number doesn't count Muscle Back irons, like I said I am a ****).



    Ping Eye2 set the standard and that standard has never been surpassed.



    I still have 2 sets of the Eye2s in BeCu, and in steel. I also still have ISI sets in BeCu, and BeNi. All great clubs. My current players are G400 irons, and a new set of Bridgestone Pro B, HF irons (the lofts in these ridiculously strong). Why (?) they go further. Probably will not replace and bite the bullet on Ping cavities for another several generations (there just isn't any difference from one regeneration of the same model to the next). Currently, will waits until a new G500 is introduced).
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,352 ✭✭
    edited Feb 21, 2019 8:14am #58
    Guia wrote:


    Play any current model and then play the Eye2's, the only difference is distance.




    Have to disagree a bit. I own several sets of Eye 2 irons and agree they were a game-changing design and remain an iconic and playable iron (I still use the SW). I do, however, think that the current crop of PING irons have HUGE improvements in play-ability due to modern sole design, COG placement, appearance, sound and feel. It's not just about distance. If PING made a set of Eye 2 irons today with the same lofts as my G400 irons, I'd stick with my G400 irons. They are better (for me) in more ways than distance.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,706 ✭✭
    sdandrea wrote:


    I caved today. I had $700 in shop credit in VA and my VA bag is sans irons. I've been debating on which PINGs to order and was seriously considering jumping to the G410. Currently playing G400 and LOVING them since last April. After today's round I realized just how much I trust these stix, so I ordered an identical set. They have just the right amount of offset for me and the sole and topline look perfect to me. Viva la G400!
    Compared the two today, and I like the look of the 400 better. Been playing Pings since the mid 80s, so I'm used to the offset. The new ones don't look like Pings to me.
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    You only disagree a "bit". Come on, a bit is not the American way, you are supposed to incensed, where is your fighting spirit? You can do better, give it another try. image/superman2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman2:' />
  • Jacob37Jacob37 Members Posts: 95 ClubWRX
    sdandrea wrote:


    I caved today. I had $700 in shop credit in VA and my VA bag is sans irons. I've been debating on which PINGs to order and was seriously considering jumping to the G410. Currently playing G400 and LOVING them since last April. After today's round I realized just how much I trust these stix, so I ordered an identical set. They have just the right amount of offset for me and the sole and topline look perfect to me. Viva la G400!




    I think that’s a good call. I love mine
Sign In or Register to comment.