2019 Ping Blueprint Irons - New in hand photos

Comments

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@PowderedToastMan said:
    What this thread has definitely sold me on is trying heavier swingweights in my irons. Sending my S55’s back to PING this winter to beef up those CTP’s.

Experiment with lead tape Toastie

Ping G410 LST 11.5* Tensei Org 60x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* X-Torsion Cu 60s
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Ping iwedge 50* Tour Concept x100 green 
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cardoustie said:

@PowderedToastMan said:
    What this thread has definitely sold me on is trying heavier swingweights in my irons. Sending my S55’s back to PING this winter to beef up those CTP’s.

Experiment with lead tape Toastie

I’m the kind of guy that doesn’t sleep at night with the thought of flimsy tape on his tools.

Probably a better way of saying that, but I stand by it.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I just mean experiment. Play w tape amounts on 1 club to find what u like ... then rip ir off and have Ping match the swing-weight
    Ps my s55's are covered in tape and they look majestic

• Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Someone compare these to raw apex MB’s? Bounce the close to the same? Feel?

Ping g410 plus 8* 1 flat Fuji pro 2.0 Ts 6x
    Titleist TS3 16.5* evenflow white t1100 6.5 75g
    Ping g410 19* hybrid 
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 34” navy with true path alignment
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I need to put a padlock and Keep Out sign on this thread.

Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
    Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,140 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 10, 2019 10:45am #1417

@matchavez said:

@JerryTBall said:

@matchavez said:

@JerryTBall said:
    Cardi, when I had my BP’s, I did not even think about swing weight, as I naïvely thought they come with what ping makes them, that’s the science they had behind them and made them a great club! So mine came SW 0, guess that is stock. So say my 919’s come in with a certain SW, say 2, and the shafts work well for them. Should I order a set of BP’s if I want to go down that road again with that same setup? Just looking for humble opinions!

Jerry, stock is D2. Make sure whoever enters them gets that put in the computer correctly. Otherwise, there's a lot more variance. Mine luckily were less than a point off -- all of them came in about d1.3, so I was ok with it. But I also noticed DD didn't enter the weights explicitly except for one wedge. Sure enough, that wedge was d4.0. It's all a matter of getting exactly what you want onto the build ticket.

Mat,
    I found and interesting article, never heard this before........
    MOI Matching as an Alternative to Swing Weight Matched Clubs
    Matching all clubs in a set to their MOI has become a viable alternative to swing weight matching for many golfers. MOI matching may also be thought of roughly as building the clubs in a set to progressively increase swing weights from long to short irons in the set.

Candidates for MOI matching over swing weight matching can be golfers who:

Go in and out of consistency issues with the irons
    Suffer from occasional-to-frequent bouts of pulling short iron shots offline
    Sense less comfort and consistency with the short irons vs other irons in the set

There is at least one monster thread on this. It's a reasonable approach. If you want to make it easy on yourself, just order everything in 0.5sw increases. Thus your 5 is a d2, 6 is d2.5, etc until you get to your PW. It's not perfect, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I've tried it myself, and I found it to be ok -- but don't go to any great lengths to do it. After you MOI, then you start to wonder why you're not SLI, then your grips... then suddenly you have a case of the Chambeaus.

Not to High-Jack this tread, but a Custom order with 4/8" between club and 0.5 SWP progression might not be within what they accept, but there is another way to it all...Order the set to FLAT SW value where you focus on specs for your #9 iron on play and SW value. Order the set with grips loose. When you get the set home, you cut them shorter progressively by 2.0 mm from the #8 and longer. if the set is 3-PW your #3 iron becomes "1 club shorter", and SW progression WITHOUT reset of head weight becomes 1.1 SW pr inch, or 1 step closer to Actual Moi match of 1.33 SW pr inch.

This way we combine a progressive slope very close to actual MOI, and slightly easier long irons to play since both length and resistance goes down. This way the player who could not handle his #4 iron can squeeze that club in, or the player who could not handle his #3 iron makes room for that club. If you already play 3-PW you make room for a Driving iron you can handle.

Its a better and easier set to play, vs a set made to 4/8" with 0.5 SWP progression, and a good option to going 3/8" who demands little reset of head weight (lead tape, tips weight or tungsten powder).

Compare of standard 4/8"(12.7 mm) vs 10.7 mm vs 3/8" (9.35 mm)
    Starting from #8 makes a slightly longer set vs stating from #8

How to butt cut shafts to make this sets. Butt cut is equal to how much shorter we go on that club vs STD.

So, just order the set to what ever specs needed for the #9 iron and the same FLAT SW value for all - Then butt cut 2.0 mm progressively like the chart, add grips on, and get out to play.

I cant be much easier than that. Then you get a set thats very closed to MOI matched (closer than 4/8" with 0.5 SWP between clubs), NO reset of head weight needed, and you get improved ball striking all the way to the longest club who gets about 1 club shorter than standard. This way we can modify a iron set to give us "1 club shorter in" and that club will be easier to play then the one you had of the same play length.

If you want to go 3/8" and "poor mans MOI Match", we can do the same. Focus on specs for your #8 or #9 irons, order the set as 4/8" with the SW value your #8 or #9 should have, butt cut and ADD the grams needed you find in this Chart. (Lead tape or Tungsten powder), Add grips and play.

The longest club might need 0.75* more upright (if its 6/8" shorter, the clubs thats 4/8" shorter up with 0.5* etc) 1/8" shorter = 1/8 of 1.0* , 2/8" shorter = 2/8 of 1.0* in sets where standard is 0.5* between clubs).

Example for use of the chart.
    You play a #9 iron thats plus 0.5" from standard, and standard SW value was D2 as "std play length", so thats club should be D5 now.
    The specs for a set with a #9 thats plus 0.5" is equal to using a "std" #5 iron as starting point (look at those lines)

If the #9 is your favorite club, and everything is just fine with it, order the set as plus 0.5" with a flat SW value of D5, and _Butt cut like it was a standard set using the #9 iron row as stating point.

BUTT cut like this when you order 4/8" with Flat SW value, and use your #9 as Stating point.

All values is "relative to std and D2 as standard", so staring point does not matter, just make sure that club is the favorite, and base the specs on that club.

The example set with a #9 thats plus 0.5" at D5 as starting point.

How to figure out if this is the way to go for YOU?
    If your #9 is your favorite and the club we wants to Duplicate so the others get the same actual resistance, grab your longest iron and "tape down" play length like that suggested shortening was already done, add the suggested amount of lead tape to the head, and try that club off. The way it feels and plays now is as close as we can get without actually cutting it shorter. For 10.7 mm sets, we dont need any weight added, so if your #3 is the longest, "tape it 12 mm shorter (12,7 mm is 0.5"), and try that club off, and if its the #4 thats the longest, tape it down 10 mm and test it, and compare it directly to your #9 to feel if they are a "good match" or equal effort to swing so we can use the same power and swing on both.

ALL MODS AND NUMBERS is based on Classic 4/8" sets with FLAT SW value for all clubs in the set. If you order without grips and cut at home, you have a easy job to build what ever you like based on standard components and sets ALL OEMs can deliver.

Just make sure you base the order on the specs for your #9, then you can go 10.7 mm or minus 2.0 mm pr club - , 9.70 mm or minus 3.0 mm pr. club - 3/8" (9.35 mm), or 8.7 mm who is minus 4.0 mm pr club - or 5/16" (7.93 mm), you have tons of options, based on a uncomplicated order to OEMS if you can cut and make SW values right yourself.

Here is 5 CUSTOM option for MOI Matching, all set ups based on the #9 iron. Both butt cut instructions and grams needed to reset head weights to a slope of 1.33 SWP is done for you. You can make all of them based on a "regular OEM order" with loose grips.

Post edited by Howard Jones on
  • oz dee ceeoz dee cee Members Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AutomaticTwoDownAutomaticTwoDown Two down after two, time to get to work Members Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭

Whenever someone starts a post with ‘not to hijack this thread’, the only outcome is a hijacked thread.

• JakeW13JakeW13 Members Posts: 70 ✭✭

So with my set being power spec, I’m looking for a gap wedge and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for something that would transition well. This would be a full swing club so something that isn’t super jarring in comparison to the Blurprint PW. Thoughts?

Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 9 Degrees Flat setting, Weight Neutral, Accra TZ5 65 M5
    FW: Titleist TS2 3W, 15 Degrees, Graphite Design Tour AD Blue 75 X
    3 Iron: Taylormade P790s, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 105S
    4-PW: Ping Blueprint, Red Dot Power Spec, DG 120 S300
    50: Cleveland RTX DG S400
    54&60: Cleveland CBX KBS 610 Wedge S
    Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy 34"
    Ball: Taylormade TP5x (2019)
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JakeW13 said:
    So with my set being power spec, I’m looking for a gap wedge and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for something that would transition well. This would be a full swing club so something that isn’t super jarring in comparison to the Blurprint PW. Thoughts?

Glide forged.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭

Before I got rid of mine, and I’m sure I’ll catch some Sh** for saying this lol, buy another BP PW, have loft/lie/length adjusted, mark appropriately?

I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • ZAPZAP ClubWRX Posts: 1,622 ClubWRX

BP PW is so easy to hit partial shots with as well it has me considering not even carrying a gap wedge myself. I got rid of mine to raise funds for the BPs in the first place and I have not missed it yet.

@JerryTBall said:
    Before I got rid of mine, and I’m sure I’ll catch some Sh** for saying this lol, buy another BP PW, have loft/lie/length adjusted, mark appropriately?

So I thought about this, but my understanding is that you don’t really want to bend a club more than 2 degrees. So if I ordered a 46 degree pw (mine is power spec at 45) and bent it to 48, I’m concerned that I won’t hit my gap. Today my PW is my 145 club and my 54 degree is a 105 max club. Idk maybe I’m just over thinking this but in my mind I wanted a 50 degree club.

edited Aug 13, 2019 8:11pm #1426

@JakeW13 said:

@JerryTBall said:

So I thought about this, but my understanding is that you don’t really want to bend a club more than 2 degrees. So if I ordered a 46 degree pw (mine is power spec at 45) and bent it to 48, I’m concerned that I won’t hit my gap. Today my PW is my 145 club and my 54 degree is a 105 max club. Idk maybe I’m just over thinking this but in my mind I wanted a 50 degree club.

I hear ya, my 919’s will be in Friday, and for my gap I was just told my glide3 50, 58 and new Cleveland 56 came in today.

I like the 58 from bunker, 50 like 120-25 & 56 I like from 100 and chipping around green, the 56SW Ping 410 is such a crazy nice club around the greens.

I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • bird206bird206 Members Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

@JakeW13 said:

I'm in the same situation as well and looking for a 50*. Currently I have a 56 and 60 in Glide Stealth which I like. I think also I'll use my 50 for more full approach shots. Shall I stick with Stealth or go with Forged?

• arobbins3arobbins3 MichiganMembers Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

So what does everyone think of the Blueprints after hitting them for awhile? I currently am playing the 2019 Cobra CB/MB Combos. I really enjoy playing the Cobras, but something about these Blueprints have been bugging me. I really want to hit them, but being a lefty it appears the only way I will be able to is to actually purchase a set.

Has anyone hit both? How do they compare? Is it worth the switch?

Cobra F9 (9.5°) - Atmos Black 6s
    Cobra F9 (14.5°) - Atmos Blue 7s
    Titleist T-MB (3-4) - Modus 105s
    Cobra KING Forged CB/MB (5-PW,GW) - Project X LZ 6.0
    TaylorMade Milled Grind (56°)
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe (60°)
    TaylorMade Spider X

• bird206bird206 Members Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

@arobbins3 said:
    So what does everyone think of the Blueprints after hitting them for awhile? I currently am playing the 2019 Cobra CB/MB Combos. I really enjoy playing the Cobras, but something about these Blueprints have been bugging me. I really want to hit them, but being a lefty it appears the only way I will be able to is to actually purchase a set.

I've hit both and was considering those Corbas also but ended up going with the Blueprints because of the thinner and smaller profiles, feel, and just the ability to hit them better.

• outgolfingoutgolfing Members Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@outgolfing said:
    I found a used set I could not pass up and although I have tested a demo blueprint against my P7TW and the P7TW’s won I still bought the blueprints. I unboxed them last night and immediately pulled the dynamic golds and installed Nippon 120 S.
    I plan on giving them a second go against the P7TW’s now that they are built to exactly the same specs.

So I have played one round with the blueprints since reshafting them with the modus 120s, I must say they are a totally different animal with these shafts. Ball flight is much higher with no ballooning and they are very forgiving for what they are. Compared to the P7TW’s they also have a higher ball flight with the same shafts. I am going to take them to the range tomorrow and then to a launch monitor next week before I make my final judgement on which one will stay in the bag. Here are a few side by sides.

Ping G410 LST 9* w/ Tensei orange 60s
    CallawayEpic Flash 3 wood, Tensei blue 70s

Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI 2 iron w/ Tensei blue 80hy
    TaylormadeP*7TW 4-PW w/ Modus 120S  
    TaylormadeMilled grind 50*, Milled grind HI-TOE 56*
    Ping Anser 5
  • craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@outgolfing said:

@outgolfing said:
    I found a used set I could not pass up and although I have tested a demo blueprint against my P7TW and the P7TW’s won I still bought the blueprints. I unboxed them last night and immediately pulled the dynamic golds and installed Nippon 120 S.
    I plan on giving them a second go against the P7TW’s now that they are built to exactly the same specs.

So I have played one round with the blueprints since reshafting them with the modus 120s, I must say they are a totally different animal with these shafts. Ball flight is much higher with no ballooning and they are very forgiving for what they are. Compared to the P7TW’s they also have a higher ball flight with the same shafts. I am going to take them to the range tomorrow and then to a launch monitor next week before I make my final judgement on which one will stay in the bag. Here are a few side by sides.

Love your set up!

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • NYCGolfNutNYCGolfNut Members Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve always been a Nike or Mizuno blade person, but these really have my attention. Never would have thought I’d go for Ping irons, but they have produced a masterpiece this time.
    Trying very hard told hold off on pulling the trigger until the MP20s come out. Seems like those are the only other set that can challenge the BPs.

Anyone seen these and the MP20s in person yet and can share views on both?

• ZAPZAP ClubWRX Posts: 1,622 ClubWRX

@arobbins3 said:

I played the Cobras for a season and just could not get consistent distances out of the longer irons. I always found this strange because the longer clubs were the CBs. Blueprint distances have been really good for me so far. Granted its been all of a week but I have played a lot of golf and so far it is not even close. Although my brother is thrilled with the Cobras so go figure.

• RonSwansonRonSwanson Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it. ClubWRX Posts: 1,706 ClubWRX

@outgolfing thanks for the side-by-sides. Confirmed I made the right choice with the Blueprints.

edited Aug 15, 2019 9:07pm #1435

Got my new wedges today that I ordered same time I got my BP’s which I don’t have any longer , I like the glide 3 over the 2’s, the new CB2 really nice around green. The 50 is dead on 120.

Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
    edited Aug 16, 2019 12:05am #1436

My toe weights from Ping arrived, will play with weighting on 9i and PW

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,542 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just popping back in.

Still the best iron I ever hit.

And who dares post pics of these beauties next to those TM imposters ????

( kidding kidding. Tm faithful know I kid 😇)

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

Hey @JerryTBall, would you mind taking a top down pic of that 50 degree? I'm curious to see the shape/size of it. I've got the CBX wedges for 54 and 60, which I actually prefer the large forgiving heads as I struggle with pitching/chipping "yips" so the forgiveness is good for me. But on full swings from a 120 yards, I'm really not looking for a big shovel.

@bladehunter said:
    Just popping back in.

Still the best iron I ever hit.

And who dares post pics of these beauties next to those TM imposters ????

( kidding kidding. Tm faithful know I kid 😇)

As long as they play as well as TM’s it’s all good, I know you’re kidding!

Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter

@JakeW13 said:
    Hey @JerryTBall, would you mind taking a top down pic of that 50 degree? I'm curious to see the shape/size of it. I've got the CBX wedges for 54 and 60, which I actually prefer the large forgiving heads as I struggle with pitching/chipping "yips" so the forgiveness is good for me. But on full swings from a 120 yards, I'm really not looking for a big shovel.

Will this do?

Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter

Thanks @JerryTBall, mostly just wanted to see the top down. Thanks for taking the time to post those!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file