Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

2019 Ping Blueprint Irons - New in hand photos

1454647484951»

Comments

• CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood? Members Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Curious, though I'm not interested in P7TW, what makes the BPs easier to hit? The toe weight?

• OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAMembers Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gambit said:

@OrangeGravy said:
    They've been in hand for a while now. Anyone reach the end of the honeymoon phase yet? I know Blade and Cardoustie are never gonna fall out of love. It's really amazing that Ping have managed to produce a tiny blade that appears to have Ping's signature play-ability (for this type of iron profile anyway) and looks/feels awesome. I play any and all clubs no matter the OEM, but Ping has long been my favorite.

Nope...absolutely still in love with these. Just absurdly easy to hit. I think the last 2 rounds I only hit bad shots when I got really tired, and started cramping in my left calf, from walking as I'm trying to get myself into shape for Bandon next year and it was the first 2 rounds I've walked in a couple of years.

Good move on prepping for Bandon. I went in cold one year and we were played 36 each of the first 2 days. After day one of walking 36, I didn't think I was gonna make it to day 2!

• gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@OrangeGravy said:

@gambit said:

@OrangeGravy said:
    They've been in hand for a while now. Anyone reach the end of the honeymoon phase yet? I know Blade and Cardoustie are never gonna fall out of love. It's really amazing that Ping have managed to produce a tiny blade that appears to have Ping's signature play-ability (for this type of iron profile anyway) and looks/feels awesome. I play any and all clubs no matter the OEM, but Ping has long been my favorite.

Nope...absolutely still in love with these. Just absurdly easy to hit. I think the last 2 rounds I only hit bad shots when I got really tired, and started cramping in my left calf, from walking as I'm trying to get myself into shape for Bandon next year and it was the first 2 rounds I've walked in a couple of years.

Good move on prepping for Bandon. I went in cold one year and we were played 36 each of the first 2 days. After day one of walking 36, I didn't think I was gonna make it to day 2!

I have 7 round over 4 days lmao...every round till then will be carry or push cart. Walking 18 and cramping is embarrassing lol

• OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAMembers Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gambit said:

@OrangeGravy said:

@gambit said:

@OrangeGravy said:

I have 7 round over 4 days lmao...every round till then will be carry or push cart. Walking 18 and cramping is embarrassing lol

We played 36, 36, 18, and 18. I never cramped up, but my feet/ankles hurt like ****. Day 3 & 4, I must have loosened up the scar tissue in there and I felt great/played much better.

• gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@OrangeGravy said:

@gambit said:

@OrangeGravy said:

@gambit said:

@OrangeGravy said:

We played 36, 36, 18, and 18. I never cramped up, but my feet/ankles hurt like ****. Day 3 & 4, I must have loosened up the scar tissue in there and I felt great/played much better.

We're doing the same as you, just add 18 on day 3. I haven't walked a course in a couple of years. Once I booked the trip I walked my last 2 rounds. Didn't realize how out of shape I was until the last round. Cramp walking off the green on 14 in my left calf. Cramped whatever muscle that is around the right shin. Went get something out of the bag and cramped in my right groin. Grab water and cramp in my left side. Could not hit a decent shot after all that. Started running hills yesterday.

• howeberhoweber Members Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gopherlover said:
    set up with i500 3&4 iron with s55 5-pw. I agree that the i500 feels more like a wood/hybrid, but the performance is incredible. My 4-iron launches significantly >higher with about 20 more yards than my 5-iron.

Yeah my 4 is 22* -- more like a classic 3. Usually it's the longest iron I carry. Fits the gap perfectly.

Definitely still in the honeymoon phase, but I haven't had my expectations met/exceeded on clubs like this in a long time.

• JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭

When this thread started most knew I had one of the first sets of BP’s, loved them, worked my way into them, then when I felt I could be more aggressive, I realized I had wrong shaft, swing weight might of been too light. Then as more of you got them, different swing weights, shafts, power Spec, I knew I jumped into them in the beginning too quickly without thinking, like my 919’s, they came D2 to D3, my BP’s came D0, I just figured ping would come same, but nope.
    Know how out of the gate I hit them, and how much I’m loving my Ping 410’s, I’m off loading my Srixon Z forged irons, my Mizuno 919’s, and ordering 4-PW BP’s with power spec PXLZ shafts, D2. I hope I get it right this time. This week got my driver right, today all FW’s hit, fluke, who knows, but I’m loving the M5 10.5, enough to trade my 410 plus for it, I love the muffled sound you get.

backintheBpfold

I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • jblough99jblough99 Members Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea how heavy Ping can make these heads? I would assume the hole for the toe weight is only so big and there is a max size screw they can add, same assumption for the hosel weight. Reason I ask is I like my irons heavy, high D to low E progression, but I play standard length with midsize grips, so getting to that swing weight range with heavy grips and standard length can be tough. Don’t really want to ugly these up with a bunch of lead tape.

@jblough99 said:
    Anyone have any idea how heavy Ping can make these heads? I would assume the hole for the toe weight is only so big and there is a max size screw they can add, same assumption for the hosel weight. Reason I ask is I like my irons heavy, high D to low E progression, but I play standard length with midsize grips, so getting to that swing weight range with heavy grips and standard length can be tough. Don’t really want to ugly these up with a bunch of lead tape.

Just from reading past posts, I’m sure can go at least D4. Mine ordered yesterday were requested D2, letting ping assemble completely to get weight closest. I use CP2 standard grips and my shop usually orders my clubs grip off cause when I trade clubs they swap my grips, but they weren’t sure they could get exactly right SW, so paying a little extra for Ping to install grip option to get swing weight right.

I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • Fairway14Fairway14 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@jblough99 said:

Compared to Ping's standard grips, he midsize grips alone will lighten the SW by 3 points.
    Compared to Ping's standard screws, my guess is that Ping's heaviest screw weights can bring SW higher by about 3 or 4 points.
    If you want standard length irons and mid size grips, with a SW in the high D's, or low E's. I think the only way to get it will be by using Winn's super lite midsize grips.
    For example, Winn's mid size weighs only 23 grams , which is about 40 grams lighter than most mid size grips, and the difference equals roughly 8 swing weight points.

• ShakespeareShakespeare Members Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

@Fairway14 said:

@jblough99 said:

Compared to Ping's standard grips, he midsize grips alone will lighten the SW by 3 points.
    Compared to Ping's standard screws, my guess is that Ping's heaviest screw weights can bring SW higher by about 3 or 4 points.
    If you want standard length irons and mid size grips, with a SW in the high D's, or low E's. I think the only way to get it will be by using Winn's super lite midsize grips.
    For example, Winn's mid size weighs only 23 grams , which is about 40 grams lighter than most mid size grips, and the difference equals roughly 8 swing weight points.

I coild be wrong, but i thought it was 9 grams in the shaft or grip that equates to 1 sw...2 grams in the head does the same

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Shakespeare said:

@Fairway14 said:

@jblough99 said:

I coild be wrong, but i thought it was 9 grams in the shaft or grip that equates to 1 sw...2 grams in the head does the same

9 grams in the shaft was the rule of thumb I remember, but it's 4g in the grip.

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS 9.5* set to 10.5*, Xcaliber T6+, TS, 44.25", D6
    3w:  Bridgestone J's Professional Weapon 14*, stock stiff, 42.5", D5
    1i:  Golden Ram Vibration Matched, DGS400
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
    SW:  Scratch 8620 58*, DGS400
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game

@Shakespeare said:

@Fairway14 said:

@jblough99 said:

I mess around with putter grips and swing weights often. Depending on the grip profile (for example, where within the grip the weight is positioned), swing weight is affected between 1 point for every 4 to 6 grams of weight, so on average 1 swing weight point for every 5 grams. Head weight is definitely a ratio of 1 swing weight point for every 2 grams of head weight change.
    9 grams of shaft weight will change swing weight by 1 point, however that is somewhat dependent on where the weight is located within the shaft.

• kro88kro88 Members Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

I think they're just trolling us by putting that screw in the toe.

Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker
    Driver: Ping G40 Max 10.5 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X
    Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s - setting C1 | Titleist 975f 20.5 w/ Grafalloy ProLite S Flex
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/Nippon Modus 120 Stiff 4-PW std lie
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Sm7 50 - 2 flt - 1 wk w/KBS 610 | Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610 | Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev | Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev
    Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches - SS 3.0 grip
    Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

@kro88 said:
    I think they're just trolling us by putting that screw in the toe.

It's been about a year now but back when I purchased my set of G700's with mid size grips a Ping rep told me they could meet my D2 swing weight request by using a heavier toe screw. I think he told me they have screws ranging from 4 to 8 to 12 grams, but I am not sure if those were exactly the numbers. My recollection is that (by using different screw weights), Ping could manipulate swing weight by up to about 4 points.

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The toe screws are diff weights, I have some
    My set progresses d6 to e0. ... but are longer than std length
    Hope some of this helps

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 
    Ping iWedge 50* Tour Concept x100
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • jblough99jblough99 Members Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 13, 2019 1:42am #1518

@cardoustie said:
    Hope some of this helps

How much over length are they? After looking at the specs I may end up going +1/4” to +1/2” on the Blueprints to match my last set of 919 Tours that were “standard” Mizuno length.

Also on the grips, I just got a free superstroke traxion tour midsize grip with my last order from golfworks. Feels pretty good and weighs the same as a standard size tour velvet. Would help keep swing weight up with a larger grip.

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jblough99 said:

@cardoustie said:
    Hope some of this helps

How much over length are they? After looking at the specs I may end up going +1/4” to +1/2” on the Blueprints to match my last set of 919 Tours that were “standard” Mizuno length.

Also on the grips, I just got a free superstroke traxion tour midsize grip with my last order from golfworks. Feels pretty good and weighs the same as a standard size tour velvet. Would help keep swing weight up with a larger grip.

3/4" over

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 
    Ping iWedge 50* Tour Concept x100
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • arobbins3arobbins3 MichiganMembers Posts: 59 ✭✭

There's a set available with the shafts I need in them. The question is... Should I do it?

Cobra F9 (9.5°) - Atmos Black 6s
    Cobra F9 (14.5°) - Atmos Blue 7s
    Titleist T-MB (3) - Modus 105s
    Callway Apex Pro 19 (4-9)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Slate Blue (46°)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw (51-56-60°)
    TaylorMade Spider X

@arobbins3 said:
    There's a set available with the shafts I need in them. The question is... Should I do it?

The only way to know whether a set of irons is good for you is to buy and try.
    Shafts are a major part of how an iron plays, so is the shaft you're considering one you've played or is it a new model to you ?

• arobbins3arobbins3 MichiganMembers Posts: 59 ✭✭

@Fairway14 said:

@arobbins3 said:

Shafts are a major part of how an iron plays, so is the shaft you're considering one you've played or is it a new model to you ?

It is one that I have swung many times and have been fit into.

Cobra F9 (9.5°) - Atmos Black 6s
    Cobra F9 (14.5°) - Atmos Blue 7s
    Titleist T-MB (3) - Modus 105s
    Callway Apex Pro 19 (4-9)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Slate Blue (46°)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw (51-56-60°)
    TaylorMade Spider X

• Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭✭

@arobbins3 said:

@Fairway14 said:

@arobbins3 said:

You have answered your question. I still need to read a bad comment on this irons. If you have the game, do it. Worst case you will sell them after a month and you will lose 100 dollars..

@arobbins3 said:

@Fairway14 said:

@arobbins3 said:

If you've had a set or irons with the shafts and played rounds of golf with same, then I expect you will like the Blueprint irons just fine.
    If you've only swung the shafts on a range there is a chance you will not like playing rounds of golf with them.
    Regarding head design, I expect Blueprint is about the same as iblade, i200, i210, the older S59-58-57-56-55 Ping models etc... I think all these models are relatively the same compact head size , so the major difference in how one plays from the next will be the shaft.

• Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Marco Colo said:

@arobbins3 said:

@Fairway14 said:

@arobbins3 said:

You have answered your question. I still need to read a bad comment on this irons. If you have the game, do it. Worst case you will sell them after a month and you will lose 100 dollars..

Txg just reviewed them. Said they were clicky and hard feeling compared to the 620mb

Ping g410 plus 8* 1 flat Fuji pro 2.0 Ts 6x
    Titleist TS3 16.5* evenflow white t1100 6.5 75g
    Ping g410 19* hybrid 
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 34” navy with true path alignment
    edited Sep 13, 2019 7:44pm #1526

@Kale_m said:

@Marco Colo said:

@arobbins3 said:

@Fairway14 said:

@arobbins3 said:

Txg just reviewed them. Said they were clicky and hard feeling compared to the 620mb

As I said in an earlier post, I had a set of the BP’s with wrong shaft, traded in, now ordered new set with the shaft I always use.
    I can’t attest to 620’s, but in the last year I’ve owned i210’s, Srixon Zforged, Srixon 785, TM P790’s, Ping 410’s, Mizuno mp18 mmc, Mizuno 919tour, cobra black tech one length, Callaway cf16’s, there’s probably more, lost track, but I can say that the i200 is not same head size, the BP’s, even with wrong shaft at the time, had the smallest head of any iron I’ve owned, and if I had to pick a iron with the closest feel, I would say TM P790. Maybe it’s the ball, and I’m sure my fellow brethren will back me up, but to me, the BP’s have a solid feel, muffled sound, like pounding a marshmallow 😆. If compared to new irons that are out, or just now coming out, these possibly have the smallest heads, but probably the easiest iron I’ve ever hit. IMHO, I think I hit these better possibly due to the smaller head. I’ve noticed that on other blade type irons. My 410’s, which I’m currently gaming for now I hit well, but all over the face, but due to their MOI hit their targets.
    You can’t go wrong with the BP’s in my opinion.

Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • Commack350ZCommack350Z Members Posts: 43 ✭✭

I must say I never owned Ping irons before but these blueprints are special. I don't know if it's the 8620 carbon steel but the feel is not as good as my MP5. But they don't feel crappy. It's just little different from Mizunos. But I really like how durable these irons are. I put about 10 rounds and numerous range sessions and not a scratch on them yet.

• kro88kro88 Members Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

I am new to Ping. Am loving my new BPs but have a question. Compared with other sets I've owned it looks as though the lie angle progression from 4-PW is a bit unusual. a black dot set's specs go from a pretty standard, maybe even flatish longer iron to more upright in the shorter irons. Has anyone bent the set to a more standard progression?

Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker
    Driver: Ping G40 Max 10.5 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X
    Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s - setting C1 | Titleist 975f 20.5 w/ Grafalloy ProLite S Flex
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/Nippon Modus 120 Stiff 4-PW std lie
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Sm7 50 - 2 flt - 1 wk w/KBS 610 | Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610 | Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev | Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev
    Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches - SS 3.0 grip
    Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file