Cobra F8 3-4 vs 5-6 wood

CDLgolf ·  
CDLgolfCDLgolf Members  982WRX Points: 157Posts: 982 Golden Tee
I'm interested in trying a Cobra F8 Fairway wood. Would like to play it with 4 wood loft, somewhere around 16* or 17* loft.

Any advantage in going with a 3 and lofting up or a 5 and lofting down ? I see the 3 goes from 13* to 16* and the 5 from 17* to 20*.

Will one be more open and one more closed when you change the loft or will both sit square ?

Thanks in advance, no where to demo Cobra in my area.
Posted:
Cobra F8
Ping G25 3 wood
Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
Ping i e1 6- uw
Ping Tour Glide 56 & 60
Toulon Atlanta

Comments

• Red4282Red4282 Members  664WRX Points: 267Posts: 664 Golden Tee
    Yes when you loft up, you close the face, loft down opens. If you fight hooks loft down. If you slice loft up. Need to watch that video in the sticky by tom wishon. This only happens when u sole the club. If you dont sole it you are not changing the loft if i remember correct
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers  8245WRX Points: 395Handicap: ScotchPosts: 8,245 Titanium Tees
    Been demoing the new F9s, home run with these babies!! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    Ping LST 3W Tour S
    Ping 4H Tour S
    i210 5-PW, UW Modus 105S
    Glide 3.0 56* Modus 105S
    Putter-TM Soto
    Tour Response yellow

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • ode1ode1 Members  3047WRX Points: 223Posts: 3,047 Titanium Tees
    If you want more of an open f.a. and more headweight and shorter clublength go with the 5.

If you want more of a closed f.a. and less heasweight and longer clublength then go with the 3.

Headweight and clublength you can adjust to suit your needs.
    Posted:
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members  3372WRX Points: 475Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,372 Titanium Tees
    Loft up = closed clubface

Loft down = open clubface

3/4 slightly bigger than 5/6.

All u need to know.
    Posted:
  • CDLgolfCDLgolf Members  982WRX Points: 157Posts: 982 Golden Tee
    Ok so if you want to play a 4 wood is it better to buy a 4 wood so the face sits square or does adjusting a club to that loft not make much difference ?
    Posted:
    Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Glide 56 & 60
    Toulon Atlanta
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members  1045WRX Points: 139Posts: 1,045 Platinum Tees
    CDLgolf wrote:

Ok so if you want to play a 4 wood is it better to buy a 4 wood so the face sits square or does adjusting a club to that loft not make much difference ?

Completely dependent on your needs.
    Posted:
    >7000yards: g410 lst 8* | hzrdusblack75  /  f8 15.5* | z4100m5 + /  p790 16*, 21* | x7  /  919t 4-9 | x7   /  sm6 48*10 | x7  /  sm7 54*8, 60*10 | x7  /  spiderx

<7000yard substitutions: f8 and sm7 54*8 out, sm7 52*12 and 56*10 in. 

Advertisement
  • CDLgolfCDLgolf Members  982WRX Points: 157Posts: 982 Golden Tee
    extrastiff wrote:

CDLgolf wrote:

Not sure I understand. Coming from fixed position clubs I assume they sit pretty square. So if I get a 14.5 and loft up to 16 will it promote hooks and if I get a 18 and loft down to 16.5 will it promote slices ? So is it not better to get a club at the stated loft so it sits mostly square and is the loft I'm after.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8
    Ping G25 3 wood
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Glide 56 & 60
    Toulon Atlanta
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members  1045WRX Points: 139Posts: 1,045 Platinum Tees
    CDLgolf wrote:

extrastiff wrote:

CDLgolf wrote:

Not sure I understand. Coming from fixed position clubs I assume they sit pretty square. So if I get a 14.5 and loft up to 16 will it promote hooks and if I get a 18 and loft down to 16.5 will it promote slices ? So is it not better to get a club at the stated loft so it sits mostly square and is the loft I'm after.
    they don't promote hooks and slices, bad swings do. But if u have a two way miss, square is what u want
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    >7000yards: g410 lst 8* | hzrdusblack75  /  f8 15.5* | z4100m5 + /  p790 16*, 21* | x7  /  919t 4-9 | x7   /  sm6 48*10 | x7  /  sm7 54*8, 60*10 | x7  /  spiderx

<7000yard substitutions: f8 and sm7 54*8 out, sm7 52*12 and 56*10 in. 
  • collingsom1acollingsom1a Chicago, ILMembers  852WRX Points: 101Handicap: 6Posts: 852 Golden Tee
    CDLgolf wrote:

So, I like buying the 5 wood and turning it down 1 degree to 17*, which is a weak 4 wood. I prefer to hit the smaller head off the fairway, its easier for me to hit than the 3 wood turned up to 16*. I draw the ball naturally and hit a lower ball, so for me I like turning the 5 wood down 1* and hitting the slight fade, becuz i get more height and carry on the shot. I also custom order it with 1/2" longer shaft (3 wood lenght) so I get a little more clubhead speed.

It hard for me to answer your question becuz I don't know your trajectory or flight pattern. If you get all of height on the ball, you'd probably like hitting the 3-4 better, but you will be drawing it.
    Posted:
    Hey man, I'm the dude
  • CwebbCwebb Members  6028WRX Points: 328Posts: 6,028 Titanium Tees
    CDLgolf wrote:

extrastiff wrote:

CDLgolf wrote:

Unless you're a player who expects to sit the head down and have it rest at your preferred perfect angle, then it's not as big a deal as some make it out to be. Yes it's nice to have them rest at neutral "square", but most will need to make slight adjustments and "aim" the face on their own.

Simply grip the club at the angle you want, then do whatever you want with it....touch the ground with sole, hover, etc
    Posted:
  • mustangmustang Members  58WRX Points: 55Posts: 58 Bunkers
    CDLgolf wrote:

I'm interested in trying a Cobra F8 Fairway wood. Would like to play it with 4 wood loft, somewhere around 16* or 17* loft.

Any advantage in going with a 3 and lofting up or a 5 and lofting down ? I see the 3 goes from 13* to 16* and the 5 from 17* to 20*.

Will one be more open and one more closed when you change the loft or will both sit square ?

Thanks in advance, no where to demo Cobra in my area.
    MY .02 5/6 every time. Shorter shaft = more consistent contact and more consistent distance. Excessive length in fwy and driver shafts is one of the biggest mistakes being made in golf clubs today.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • mitchdocmitchdoc Members  439WRX Points: 82Posts: 439 Greens
    I would add that the 5 wood will have smaller head and deeper rails. So all depends how much you will be using off the tee vs the deck.....
    Posted:
  • mpm1960mpm1960 Members  245WRX Points: 87Posts: 245 Fairways

CDLgolf wrote:

So, I like buying the 5 wood and turning it down 1 degree to 17*, which is a weak 4 wood. I prefer to hit the smaller head off the fairway, its easier for me to hit than the 3 wood turned up to 16*. I draw the ball naturally and hit a lower ball, so for me I like turning the 5 wood down 1* and hitting the slight fade, becuz i get more height and carry on the shot. I also custom order it with 1/2" longer shaft (3 wood lenght) so I get a little more clubhead speed.

It hard for me to answer your question becuz I don't know your trajectory or flight pattern. If you get all of height on the ball, you'd probably like hitting the 3-4 better, but you will be drawing it.

So, could you order the 3-4 wood at 1/2 an inch shorter length and then have Cobra put a heavier weight in the sole to bring the swingweight back to (or closer to) standard? Just curious ...

Mike

MPM1960
    Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy Driver, 11 Degrees, R Flex
    Ping G400 SFT 5W (1 degree strong) and SFT 7W, R Flex
    Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4-PW, R Flex
    Cleveland Smart Sole 3 Chipper and SW
    Cleveland CBX 2 50 Degree Wedge
    Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11 Putter, 34 inches

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.