Anyone Considering the Apex Pro 19/Apex CF-19 Combo Set?

2»

Comments

• paztormikepaztormike Members Posts: 175 ✭✭
    CT10 wrote:

paztormike wrote:

I've had these in my bag all week, hit the range a good handful of times, played 9 holes twice...

Loving these irons.

Great feel to the 8-P, they just feel amazing. The 5-7 are so easy to hit. The loft gapping seems to be really well done. I was worried that I'd hit the 7 iron 15 yards farther than the 8, but there is a good proper gap between these two clubs as well as through the rest of the set. The satin finish just looks great.

In short, I am not only pleased but surprised at how much I like these.

How do you find the feel in the 5-7 irons?

I have a fitting planned for tomorrow evening, been waiting on these for a while CF16 were the best irons I ever had!

They definitely feel great. I'm not sure what you have hit and what I can compare it to.

It's a good, powerful and full feeling club. When you hit it off-center it certainly feels different and not as full and solid.

I played the Srixon z765's a couple of years ago and have a similar feeling to those clubs in my memory.

They are not as soft feeling as the Apex Pro 19's. The Pro's are one of the best feeling irons I have hit this year.

They have a fuller and softer feel than I remember the P790's having.

I think they feel quite similar to the CF16's.

When I first hit one, a friend was hitting the Rogue irons next to me. While he hit the CF19, I hit his Rogue and the difference was pretty big between those two feels. CF19 just feels great compared to more harsh feeling of the Rogue.

Feel is such a subjective thing though.

Of the irons in their 'class' I'd be pretty confident saying that they feel as soft and full as anything.
  • MSUIRONDAWGSMSUIRONDAWGS Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    yellolab wrote:

The combo set was my plan, until I went in for a fitting Friday and saw them Apex's for the first time. They really did a great job of cleaning up the short irons- as such I'm just sticking with the full set of the regular Apex(non-pro).

Same here. Mine supposed to be here late next week. Just in time for more rain lol.
  • boycer11boycer11 ClubWRX Posts: 3,488 ClubWRX
    I ordered a set. Never had Callaway irons. Tried them at the range and they are good.
    Ping G400 max tensei orange pro
    Callaway epic flash sz 3 wood
    Ping g400 5 wd rogue black 7s
    ping g410 tensei hybrid
    Epon 705 5-aw limited black kbs flt matte black/Callaway Apex 2019 combo
    miura limited black tour 2018 54/58
    taylormade jdm itsy bitsy spider
    ping hoofer
    tp5x
  • jimbjimb Members Posts: 1,745 ✭✭
    edited Feb 9, 2019 11:11am #35
    My set of Apex Pro 19 irons came yesterday. It was late in the day so I got to go to the range for only a short period. I hit the 8 iron and the 5 iron only.

My gamers are 2013 X-Forged with XP-115 stiff shaft in them. The new Apex are shafted with the Elevate Tour in stiff.

Feel

Although the shafts are about the same in weight class, the Apex Pros felt lighter. The feel at impact was actually more muted with the Apex Pro, but the difference wasn't great. Both the Apex and X-Forged feel awesome. Miss hits with Apex Pros didn't punish the wrists or hands. Breeze through the turf.

Distance

Actually, not a huge gain in distance with the Apex Pros over the X-Forged, perhaps a few yards.

Flight/Spin

I typically hit relatively higher irons. The launch on both sets was about the same. Because of that my ball normally doesn't run much on the green. I am not worrying about these exploding on the greens. Just watching the flight of the ball, and I think you can perceive spin with the flight of the ball, these will work just fine.

When I hit the demo 7 iron at the PGA TSS I loved the feel and the flight on their monitor. These are just beautiful irons. They are keepers. I don't think it was a mistake to skip the combo set.
  • ProStrykerProStryker Zombie Hunter Members Posts: 476 ✭✭
    I’ve had the mixed set for a little over a week now. I’ve only gotten in one round with them so far, due to horrible weather. It was hard to get a good feel for them after only one round, but they seem good so far. My mixed set came matched, both with brushed satin finish. I custom ordered them with Modus Pro 120s. Will post some feedback after I’ve gotten in a few rounds with them.
    Ping G400, 9* GD ADDi 6
    Callaway Rogue 15*, GD ADDi 6
    Ping G410 hybrid, 19*, Tour 85
    Callaway Apex 19 Pro 4-GW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
    Titleist SM7 56 / 60
    Taylormade Spider X
    Titleist ProV1
  • gscott7gscott7 Members Posts: 4
    Apex 19 vs 16. Played the 16’s for awhile, but like some, had problems with distance control. Distance on well struck shots could easily vary 10+ yards. Is anyone having this issue with the 19’s?
  • weightroomweightroom Mediocre Shots Made With Exceptional Gear Members Posts: 69 ✭✭
    ProStryker wrote:

I’ve had the mixed set for a little over a week now. I’ve only gotten in one round with them so far, due to horrible weather. It was hard to get a good feel for them after only one round, but they seem good so far. My mixed set came matched, both with brushed satin finish. I custom ordered them with Modus Pro 120s. Will post some feedback after I’ve gotten in a few rounds with them.

Keep us updated--really curious as to whether the gapping is fairly even in the real world. Hard to get over a 30.5* 7 iron!
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway Epic, HZRDUS Red 6.5[/font]
    2017 M2 3HL, Oban Kiyoshi Purple
    Srixon U45 23* w/ Recoil Proto 125
    Mizuno MP18 Combo Set w/ Oban CT-115 S+
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cleveland RTX 3 50*, 54*, 60*[/font]
    Toulon Garage Custom Austin
  • RochesterGuyRochesterGuy Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    I ordered a combo set 6-AW with elevate 95 shaft. Will report back when I get them.
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan Members Posts: 822 ✭✭
    gscott7 wrote:

Apex 19 vs 16. Played the 16’s for awhile, but like some, had problems with distance control. Distance on well struck shots could easily vary 10+ yards. Is anyone having this issue with the 19’s?

Played both as well. Had the standard Apex 19 for about 4 weeks and they are much more consistent on distance then the CF 16.
    2016 TaylorMade M2 w/ Ventus 6s
    Callaway Epic Flash w/ AD-DI
    Titleist H1 816 w/ Diamana Blueboard
    Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 Raw 52
    TaylorMade 60* Hi-Toe
    TaylorMade Spider X
  • KmacKmac Members Posts: 718 ✭✭
    I'm torn on going just all Apex or getting the combo set. The HCP was going up last year as I didnt practice much, back got worse and then played poor golf as a result. But that being said I usually just dont hit massive GI shovels very well. Selling my i500's for these but dont want to make a mistake on the combo set and struggle to hit the Pro part of the combo...
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan Members Posts: 822 ✭✭
    In my opinion the standard Apex 19’s don’t look like shovels at all. I played MB’s last year so I expected these to look big in comparison and they don’t. I went all standard Apex irons and skipped the combo set since the standard short irons were close to the pros in size.

Of course, IMO.
    2016 TaylorMade M2 w/ Ventus 6s
    Callaway Epic Flash w/ AD-DI
    Titleist H1 816 w/ Diamana Blueboard
    Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 Raw 52
    TaylorMade 60* Hi-Toe
    TaylorMade Spider X
  • RochesterGuyRochesterGuy Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Picked up my apex combo irons today they are beautiful! Specs - lie and loft all checked and confirmed to standard - nice job callaway.

I hit them on the simulator I was getting 145 yards 23 launch with 8iron, 155 21 7 iron and 170 16 with 6.

I am heading to Florida on Friday for 5 days of golf so I will report back with some on course feedback.

Both the pro and regular 19s felt great. Looking forward to gaming these this year!
  • MSUIRONDAWGSMSUIRONDAWGS Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    CaseyDan wrote:

In my opinion the standard Apex 19's don't look like shovels at all. I played MB's last year so I expected these to look big in comparison and they don't. I went all standard Apex irons and skipped the combo set since the standard short irons were close to the pros in size.

Of course, IMO.

100% true statement....The regular apex are no where near shovels. SO close to size of the pros!
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,090 ClubWRX
    jimb wrote:

I decided to skip the combo set and ordered the Apex Pro 19 irons only. The scary thing is when I looked at the status of my order it says "Being Processed" but in the details it says "Backordered" 5-7 days.

When thinking about the combo set I just felt the spin numbers would be too low. All the videos of guys hitting the Apex CF19 were getting spin numbers that were very low. A 7 iron wasn't even spinning in the mid-6000s. Still the distance control needs to be there in the 7-PW I would think and the Pros are already one degree strong over the last version of the Pros in 2016. I'm just hoping they'll ship within the 5-7 days they showed on the webpage. I took the stock steel shaft plus 1/4" and 1 degree upright. Fortunately, I do like my current irons so it isn't the end of the world. It just seems that way. Time for my meds.

Where were you able to get a status report on your build? Is that just for clubs ordered off the website?
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* 4-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex Pro 5-Gap- Steelfiber i95
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Wilson Duo Urethane (this week)
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • WeritoK2WeritoK2 Members Posts: 158 ✭✭

Been playing the standard apex 19 since they came out, loved them but then i started hitting the short irons way long to the point my distance control was really bad because of choking on the clubs, making half swings, etc. Last week I was hitting P wedge 160 yards to a Par 3 where even the club pro hits an 8 iron with his blades.... just today I received 8-PW in the pro version of the combo set, played 6 holes with them, at first I was digging a lot, losing 20 plus yards on fat shots, once I went back and hit some balls with those short irons, everything changed! Feel is surreal, in those 8-PW, they fly way higher and land with tons of backspin, distance is spot on now with these, 170y 8 iron, 160 9 iron, 150 PW, thing to notice is that I do need to make a better swing with those irons than with the standard apex, one bad swing and you lose significant yardage.

Now, I love these short apex pro combo irons that I just need that feel and look for the whole set! Can anyone suggest something here? Can Callaway build some satin 4-7 pro irons? Should I just purchase 4-7 apex pro and tweak lofts? Should I get another model and make a different “combo set”? I just LOVE those 8-PW apex pro!!!!

• gibbyfangibbyfan Members Posts: 1,207 ✭✭

@WeritoK2 said:
    Now, I love these short apex pro combo irons that I just need that feel and look for the whole set! Can anyone suggest something here? Can Callaway build some satin 4-7 pro irons? Should I just purchase 4-7 apex pro and tweak lofts? Should I get another model and make a different “combo set”? I just LOVE those 8-PW apex pro!!!!

I do not think that you can get the pro's in Satin unless you know someone that has those like Joe ( from the other thread). As for your results, those are what I was hoping to read. I decided to place my order today and get the Pro's and Dots in the lower irons. I left the 4 iron spot open to see once the rest arrive where the gaps fall.

• WeritoK2WeritoK2 Members Posts: 158 ✭✭

So I called Callaway and basically the rep told me in order to get something as close to the pros in the combo but in the long irons, i should get a brand new full set of apex pros, yeah, right, like that’s happening....

So anyone can help here? Should I just get apex pros 4-7 and bend lofts stronger to match 8-P of my pro combo set?