Bryson DeChambeau is a modern day Bobby Jones

24

Comments

  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,641 ✭✭
    Jones was "influential" but not one of greatest.

    Bryson is also "influential" but not even close to greatness, yet.
  • Imhappyinthe80sImhappyinthe80s Members Posts: 441 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:
    Jones was "influential" but not one of greatest.

    Bryson is also "influential" but not even close to greatness, yet.


    Jones won 44% of his starts. I'd think that qualifies as one of the greatest. He won for USO 3 open Championships and 5 us arms and a British am. That's not greatness?
    Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
    Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
    Ping Glide 50 SS
    Cleveland CG16 , 56
    Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter
  • TheInfidelTheInfidel Gotta let the Big Dog eat.... Members Posts: 1,431 ✭✭
    Bryson does things his own way, and gets a huge amount of media focus because of that. His form in the last 6 months has been stellar, no arguments there. Guy is delivering.



    But until he's been in contention in the back 9 on a Sunday then his "Major" credentials are zero, flat zero.



    I'd bet my house he doesn't win two majors, never mind all four!

    Ping G400 9* Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5 (+16g head weight)
    Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
    Adams Idea A7 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged, Project X LZ 6.5 +0.5' 4-PW
    Mizuno S18 50* Project X LZ 6.0 +0.5'
    Nike Engage Raw 54* S400 +0.5'
    Nike Engage Raw 58* S400 +0.5'
    Odyssey Dual Force 990 

  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,313 ✭✭
    nichho wrote:


    Yes......................Bobby Jones was renown for being a bit of a cry baby when he first set out as well.




    Yes, but he was also 14 years old when he first played in the US Amateur.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,615 ✭✭

    imakaveli wrote:


    Guy never had a top 10 in a Major...




    Well, He's going to win every major from here on out until he hangs it up.




    Sure he will...
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,641 ✭✭
    Re: Jones won 44% of his starts. I'd think that qualifies as one of the greatest. He won for USO 3 open Championships and 5 us arms and a British am. That's not greatness?







    Jones was solid and consistent player at a time when golf was being played by fewer people.

    The odds were in his favor.
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 758 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:


    Jones was "influential" but not one of greatest.

    Bryson is also "influential" but not even close to greatness, yet.




    This of course comes down to the definition of greatness. I have read that about 25 million Americans play golf each year. Only 5 players in history have won both the NCAA Division I individual championship and the US Amateur in the same year. Knowing how difficult it is to win at that level makes those 5 players great using my definition, even if they never teed it up a a pro.
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z765 with SteelFiber R shafts
    or
    Cobra Black Forged Tec 4i - AW with Recoil F4 shafts
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

    I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members Posts: 463 ✭✭

    elwhippy wrote:


    Weak field in Dubai? Eh? Garcia, Els, Li, Wallace, Westwood.....




    This isn't making the point you think it is.




    Might have sounded better with Garcia, Fleetwood, Poulter, Wallace... maybe?

    Titleist TS3 8.5*
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 816 19*
    Titleist AP3/AP2/MB Irons 4- PW
    Titleist SM7 Black 52/58*
    Scotty Cameron California fastback

  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,736 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:

    DavePelz4 wrote:


    Bobby Jones was a helluva basketball player for the 76'ers in 70's. Think he averaged double digit points and was an all star a few times. This is probably what the OP is referring to in his post.




    Yeah he was good. But I think he’s referring to the televangelist




    2 MLB pitchers named Bobby Jones, I was thinking of..



    Anyway, I'm shocked. Bryson will win a major this year, last year is NOT important. The guy is on the trajectory to win a major soon, whether you like him or not.
  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,736 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:


    Re: Jones won 44% of his starts. I'd think that qualifies as one of the greatest. He won for USO 3 open Championships and 5 us arms and a British am. That's not greatness?







    Jones was solid and consistent player at a time when golf was being played by fewer people.

    The odds were in his favor.




    actually 4 US opens, 3 Opens.......and he was more than 'solid and consistent'......you just don't win 7 of these because the 'field wan thinner' at that time.
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,361 ✭✭
    mocokid wrote:

    dlygrisse wrote:

    DavePelz4 wrote:


    Bobby Jones was a helluva basketball player for the 76'ers in 70's. Think he averaged double digit points and was an all star a few times. This is probably what the OP is referring to in his post.




    Yeah he was good. But I think he’s referring to the televangelist




    2 MLB pitchers named Bobby Jones, I was thinking of..



    Anyway, I'm shocked. Bryson will win a major this year, last year is NOT important. The guy is on the trajectory to win a major soon, whether you like him or not.




    Majors are a different level, the best players trying to peak to play their best golf on some of the most challenging courses they will see all season. I don't know if BC has the game or proper mindset to win a Major yet but I do expect him to make a better showing that he has in past years.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • ExTrumpetExTrumpet Members Posts: 473 ✭✭
    Perhaps OP meant the late Davy Jones...



    pg-10-davy-jones-getty-640x420.jpg
    Ping K15 10.5, Aldila NV65 X
    Titleist 904F, Aldila NV85 S
    Ping G20 17* Hybrid
    Ping K15 4 Hybrid
    Ping S56 5-W
    Ping Tour-S Rustique 50, 54
    Ping Glide ES 60
    Ping B60 BeCu
  • Anchor44Anchor44 Members Posts: 901 ✭✭


    although a pro. If anyone can win all 4 majors in a single year; it’s him. 😀


    With your imagination you should move to Hollyweird and write science fiction.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,098 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:


    Jones was "influential" but not one of greatest.

    Bryson is also "influential" but not even close to greatness, yet.




    Jones was widely regarded as the greatest ever when he retired from the game. There were those who made a case for Hagen, or Vardon, but until Jack came along, he was regarded as the greatest major champion ever. A pure natural talent if there ever was one. Truly a legend in his spare time.

    Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • Imhappyinthe80sImhappyinthe80s Members Posts: 441 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:
    Re: Jones won 44% of his starts. I'd think that qualifies as one of the greatest. He won for USO 3 open Championships and 5 us arms and a British am. That's not greatness?







    Jones was solid and consistent player at a time when golf was being played by fewer people.

    The odds were in his favor.


    You beat who you play. Are Babe Ruth, Gehrig and cobb not all time greats because they never played with African Americans?
    Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
    Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
    Ping Glide 50 SS
    Cleveland CG16 , 56
    Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    mocokid wrote:

    dlygrisse wrote:

    DavePelz4 wrote:


    Bobby Jones was a helluva basketball player for the 76'ers in 70's. Think he averaged double digit points and was an all star a few times. This is probably what the OP is referring to in his post.




    Yeah he was good. But I think he’s referring to the televangelist




    2 MLB pitchers named Bobby Jones, I was thinking of..



    Anyway, I'm shocked. Bryson will win a major this year, last year is NOT important. The guy is on the trajectory to win a major soon, whether you like him or not.




    Wasn’t Sergio in that same trajectory?
  • ShutSteepStuckShutSteepStuck Grinding like Briny Baird The ValleyMembers Posts: 1,494 ✭✭
    wcbjr wrote:


    dechambeau-1.jpg




    Bryson definitely appears to grind emotionally as much as Jones, at least from what I see in Bryson and have read about Jones...I imagine that will take a toll on him as he approaches his 30's.



    The guy has so much talent though...almost every aspect of the game is strong and now that he's getting more comfortable with closing out W's, I wouldn't be surprised to see him win a pair of majors one of these seasons.
    g400max 9*- rogue 125 60tx
    m2 tour 15.8* - ad gp-8x
    m2 tour 19.8* - diamana s 83x
    4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
    mp-t10 56.10 - s300
    tvd 60m - ti s400
    piretti potenza ii 365g 34"
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,641 ✭✭
    Many of these "remarks" about Bobby Jones, included, but certainly not limited to "you beat who you play", are from the same people, I suppose, that have stated on this very forum that winning these days is "more difficult" due to the field being "deeper" with talent. Moreover, this logic was used to explain away "why" Tiger Woods won so frequently.





    I am simply trying to assert that Bobby Jones was an exceptionally gifted golfer during a time when the filed was not so "rich" with talent.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,098 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:


    Many of these "remarks" about Bobby Jones, included, but certainly not limited to "you beat who you play", are from the same people, I suppose, that have stated on this very forum that winning these days is "more difficult" due to the field being "deeper" with talent. Moreover, this logic was used to explain away "why" Tiger Woods won so frequently.





    I am simply trying to assert that Bobby Jones was an exceptionally gifted golfer during a time when the filed was not so "rich" with talent.




    You can make that argument, but the way I see it, if when you retire you are regarded the greatest ever, then you have done what you can do. To me the greatest golfers ever look something like this, simply because they were the greatest ever when they hung up the spikes.



    Young Tom Morris

    Harry Vardon

    Bobby Jones

    Jack Nicklaus

    Tiger Woods



    They each set the bar higher during their era, set a new standard on what could be done, then paved the way for those who followed. Some people might throw Hogan/Snead/Nelson in there but they all had their shortcomings even though they all 3 dominated in their own way. Those 5 all contributed to the game by setting a new standard of play, and all had huge influences on and off the course. Harry, Bobby, Jack and Tiger all grew the game through writing, instruction, media, course design and spreading the game around the world. Young Tom died too early, but his father and him combined were clearly the dominate force in the game during their era, with the father designing many courses including modernizing the Old Course.



    It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

    Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • RangeballzRangeballz Members Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    He's obviously very solid when things are going well, but I'm still not sold that he will remain stable when things start going sideways.....
  • toddnttoddnt Members Posts: 4,274 ✭✭
    iBanesto wrote:


    I'll have what the OP is having.


    Better make it a double, and a double at cask strength!
  • NPVWhizNPVWhiz Members Posts: 1,976 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:

    Ferguson wrote:


    Many of these "remarks" about Bobby Jones, included, but certainly not limited to "you beat who you play", are from the same people, I suppose, that have stated on this very forum that winning these days is "more difficult" due to the field being "deeper" with talent. Moreover, this logic was used to explain away "why" Tiger Woods won so frequently.





    I am simply trying to assert that Bobby Jones was an exceptionally gifted golfer during a time when the filed was not so "rich" with talent.




    You can make that argument, but the way I see it, if when you retire you are regarded the greatest ever, then you have done what you can do. To me the greatest golfers ever look something like this, simply because they were the greatest ever when they hung up the spikes.



    Young Tom Morris

    Harry Vardon

    Bobby Jones

    Jack Nicklaus

    Tiger Woods



    They each set the bar higher during their era, set a new standard on what could be done, then paved the way for those who followed. Some people might throw Hogan/Snead/Nelson in there but they all had their shortcomings even though they all 3 dominated in their own way. Those 5 all contributed to the game by setting a new standard of play, and all had huge influences on and off the course. Harry, Bobby, Jack and Tiger all grew the game through writing, instruction, media, course design and spreading the game around the world. Young Tom died too early, but his father and him combined were clearly the dominate force in the game during their era, with the father designing many courses including modernizing the Old Course.



    It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />




    Thank you. Saved me a lot of iPhone small keyboard typing. I concur.
    Taylormade r11s 9 Penley Stealth 70x 44.5" D-3
    > Taylormade 16 M1 8.5 GD AD TP6x 44.0" D3 PX Hzrdus Black 75 6.0 44.5" D-3
    Nickent 3DX Pro 14 MRC Diamana WB 83s
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 Grafalloy CNote ProtoX
    Mizuno MP62 DG x-100 Sensicore D-4 3-pw
    > Ping i200 DG120 S3 D-3 +1/4" Red 4-U.
    Vokey SM6 56-14/60-04M DG x-100 Sensicore 1xss D-5
    > Vokey SM6 56/10 60/4M DG 120 S300 35" D-5
    Scotty Golo
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,704 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:


    Bobby Jones was a helluva basketball player for the 76'ers in 70's. Think he averaged double digit points and was an all star a few times. This is probably what the OP is referring to in his post.




    Money from the elbow.
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Members Posts: 847 ✭✭
    Bobby Jones was a gentleman who’s contributions to golf went far beyond what he did on the golf course. There would not be a Masters without Bobby Jones and there are few that would argue that’s not the finest golf tournament going. Jones also conducted himself professionally on and off the course. Bryson is one of the brightest young talents out there but that’s where the comparisons end at this point.
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX Posts: 1,374 ClubWRX
    They are both humans...so there’s that



    Great op btw

    World class trolling...respect the hustle



    -Chris
    Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
  • PedronNiallPedronNiall Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭
    I think his biggest test will be being in contention for the majors and not having much of a following/hearing the crowds go for the other players around him. His swing is going to line up with how his personality comes off to many: rigid. I don't think he'll garner a lot of love out there with his pre-Sunday interviews, and I don't think what he does on the course will pull a lot of people in. Having the weight of those tournaments on him with a crowd that's hoping almost anyone else at the top but him wins is going to be brutal, and even if he breaks through I doubt that will change much in the future.



    Maybe I'm being a bit harsh with my expectations of how he'll be received on the whole when he's in contention, but I don't see it going well, especially with players who know the courses better using every bit of knowledge to get a leg up. His swing certainly does have the potential to keep him in play at something like the U.S. Open and safe from brutal rough, but I don't think the hardships that might crop up will suit his mechanical style at all.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,726 ✭✭


    Bobby Jones was a gentleman who's contributions to golf went far beyond what he did on the golf course. There would not be a Masters without Bobby Jones and there are few that would argue that's not the finest golf tournament going. Jones also conducted himself professionally on and off the course. Bryson is one of the brightest young talents out there but that's where the comparisons end at this point.




    To date, Bryson hasn't walked off the course during the third round of the British Open either.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

    just say NO.... to practice swings
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,115 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:






    brilliant! well played sir!!



    giphy.gif
  • NoFancyUsername.NoFancyUsername. Members Posts: 474 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:


    Biggest win is the memorial and no top 10s in majors. Wins an event in Middle East with a weak field and now he's the goat.



    I'm obviously missing something in my water




    Yeah, you missed putting more stupid pills in your water.
Sign In or Register to comment.