TaylorMade M5 cracking already ???

Comments

• wfrogge1wfrogge1 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭
    Big Ben wrote:

I wonder if TM will actually do anything at all. Lesson learned, don't buy a driver with a carbon fiber sole.

Carbon is stronger than titanium. This is an engineering issue....
  • bobcatbobcat Members Posts: 3,914 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 11:37am #273
    wfrogge1 wrote:

Carbon is stronger than titanium. This is an engineering issue....

If you actually believe that statement applies to TM's current line of M5 Drivers, then there's this great deal on some 'prime' Florida real estate located deep within the Everglades that will likely appeal to you as well!... image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
    Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
    Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
    Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
    Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
    Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
    Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
    Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
    Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft
  • Google Translate

The manufacturer has announced that some head specifications have been changed to improve productivity.

It is with the specification change for raising productivity by changing the shape of the rail part of the sole.

GYaPEQA.png
  • Tdogg1690Tdogg1690 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭
    We have these in stock in the shop and one of the sole plates fell off after 2 balls on a demo head
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,041 ✭✭
    And cue the speculation that one of the versions is hotter than the other...
  • mktroutmktrout Members Posts: 133 ✭✭

Google Translate

The manufacturer has announced that some head specifications have been changed to improve productivity.

It is with the specification change for raising productivity by changing the shape of the rail part of the sole.

GYaPEQA.png
    interesting, at least it doesnt look like the flap is just cut off like in the tour pic that was posted.
    Taylormade M5
    Taylormade M4 3HL
    Taylormade M4 5wd
    Srixon 585 w/ Pro Modus 120
    Cleveland CBX 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Bridgestone BXS
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,725 ✭✭
    mktrout wrote:

interesting, at least it doesnt look like the flap is just cut off like in the tour pic that was posted.

It doesn't? How can you tell?

And what's it matter if that's all that's been done to remedy the cracking? It looks like it was a completely unnecessary overhang anyway.
  • chris975dchris975d GeorgiaClubWRX Posts: 1,894 ClubWRX
    mktrout wrote:

Google Translate

GYaPEQA.png

It actually looks exactly the same to me in that photo vs the M5 Tour photo posted earlier.
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • blink3665blink3665 #TwistFaceExperience Members Posts: 5,967 ✭✭

**** this is scary! I haven't owned a TM club for years because I hated their marketing and now I see this post?!?!?! Well I've had mine for almost 2 months now and haven't seen any cracking (yet). If it does I'm just requesting a refund and moving to Mizuno.

If you do see cracking TM will send you a new head. They have been very good to me in regards to warranty replacement in the past.

Tdogg1690 wrote:

We have these in stock in the shop and one of the sole plates fell off after 2 balls on a demo head

Wait. What do you mean... "sole plates fell off"? We have seen issues with cracking, but I havent heard anything about a sole plate falling off. Pictures?
    Srixon z785 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65 / / Taylormade M4 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65
    Taylormade M3 HL MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
    Taylormade M4 19* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")
    Taylormade M4 22* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (39.75")
    Srixon 545 - 5-PW - 2* flat - Modus3 120s - Best Grips Classic
    Cleveland CBX 48* +1* loft - -0.75" - 2* flat
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 54* mid, 58* xlow -0.75" - 2* flat // TM Hi Toe 58* 2* flat
    Slighter Proto 1 - #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
    Odyssey OWorks 2ball - 32"
    GolfWRX (Nike Collegiate) bag (White) / Nike HyperAdapt

WITB Link
  • ignitewvuignitewvu Members Posts: 2,040 ✭✭
    Color me shocked there will be a V2 head & the M5Tour was delayed to grind the lip off of the weight track.
    M5 9.5 Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6 Stiff
    M3 15 3 Wood Mitsubishi Tensei AV 75 Stiff
    M1 19 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos Blue 80HB Stiff
    M1 4i @ 39" KBS Tour 105
    Bridgestone J15DPF 5-PW DG Pro S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56 & 60 DGS200
    Odyessey Exo 7 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • RH82RH82 Members Posts: 1,982 ✭✭
    Any reports of this happening with the m6 or is this purely an m5 issue with the track system?
    Cobra King KTD Pro (9.5*)
    Titleist 917 F2 (16.5*)
    Callaway Apex (20*)
    Srixon Z785 (4-PW)
    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)
    Toulon Madison
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,930 ✭✭
    With so many options out there I can’t see purchasing the V1 version of this driver. I’m sure the V2 has taken care of the issue. My only question is this, was there a reason for the initial design of that lip? Meaning, did they see something like tees jamming in the track during testing to develop it this way? I’m bet is yes. BB
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • 3 Jack Par3 Jack Par I only answer to "Ace" now Members, ClubWRX Posts: 6,075 ClubWRX
    RH82 wrote:

Any reports of this happening with the m6 or is this purely an m5 issue with the track system?

There’s nothing like that on the sole of the M6, so I wouldn’t expect there to be an issue. I hit the M5 a few days ago, and it’s a really good performer, so it’ll be good if they get this flaw fixed.
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
    Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
    Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
    Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
    Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400, (sometimes) Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
    Byron Morgan B-17, 35", Blue Oil finish or Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 38"
    WITB Link
  • t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,652 ✭✭
    Big Ben wrote:

With so many options out there I can’t see purchasing the V1 version of this driver. I’m sure the V2 has taken care of the issue. My only question is this, was there a reason for the initial design of that lip? Meaning, did they see something like tees jamming in the track during testing to develop it this way? I’m bet is yes. BB

TM will replace it with a brand new head, maybe even the whole club if you have issues. There’s no reason NOT to purchase it if it’s the driver you want/fits.
    Ping G400 Max 9* - Project X Evenflow T1100 White 6.5
    Callaway Alpha 816 DBD 14* - Diamana D+ 70x
    Callaway Alpha 815 20* - UST iRoD 85x
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 4-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 56.08M
    Callaway MD4 Raw 60.08C
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
    yea thats great, but i'm going on two weeks now without a driver...
    Taylormade M5
    Taylormade M4 3HL
    Taylormade M4 5wd
    Cleveland CBX 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Bridgestone BXS
  • mktrout said:
    yea thats great, but i'm going on two weeks now without a driver...
    That’s a problem 
    Got mine back today finally, and its Version 2! See photos, much less overhang.
    Taylormade M5
    Taylormade M4 3HL
    Taylormade M4 5wd
    Cleveland CBX 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Bridgestone BXS
  • ignitewvuignitewvu Members Posts: 2,040 ✭✭

@mktrout said:
    Got mine back today finally, and its Version 2! See photos, much less overhang.

Glad they made it right, the M5 is a really solid club but man this whole lip thing was not overblown at all. It's a fiasco IMO.....

M5 9.5 Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6 Stiff
    M3 15 3 Wood Mitsubishi Tensei AV 75 Stiff
    M1 19 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos Blue 80HB Stiff
    M1 4i @ 39" KBS Tour 105
    Bridgestone J15DPF 5-PW DG Pro S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56 & 60 DGS200
    Odyessey Exo 7 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • Ti-Cip Ti-Cip Members Posts: 813 ✭✭

just wondering if anyone has gotten any recent m5's and if tm has redesigned the sole yet?

• t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,652 ✭✭

@Ti-Cip said:
    just wondering if anyone has gotten any recent m5's and if tm has redesigned the sole yet?

There is photos of someone receiving the "fixed" one a couple posts up. Also saw photos of the revamped non-tour M5 version from another forum that a user had received straight from TM.

Ping G400 Max 9* - Project X Evenflow T1100 White 6.5
    Callaway Alpha 816 DBD 14* - Diamana D+ 70x
    Callaway Alpha 815 20* - UST iRoD 85x
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 4-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 56.08M
    Callaway MD4 Raw 60.08C
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g

isn't the pic above of a non tour m5?

what's really sad is I have talked to TM cs a number of times, in fact, just got off the phone with a guy no more than 20 mins ago, and no one there has heard of this issue. yet, so far I have seen a few pics of m5 tour and non tour that seem to revised this issue.

• Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,433 ✭✭

Wait, I thought these multi-million dollar R&D departments couldn't make a stupid mistake like this. Guess maybe they should hire more garage engineers!

BT

Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge

btw, not only did tm cs NOT know of this cracking issue, but they have no knowledge of a V2

• 11forgedblades11forgedblades Members Posts: 555 ✭✭

I'm skeptical that TM cs dept doesn't know. I'm sure the average Joe out there probably has no idea, but if WE know...how can they not?

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
    TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
    COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
    TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
    BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

@11forgedblades said:
    I'm skeptical that TM cs dept doesn't know. I'm sure the average Joe out there probably has no idea, but if WE know...how can they not?

i called them, and i am from a TM account, and the tm cs rep i talked too and I've talked to others in the last few months about this issue are telling me they haven't heard of any issues with the m5 nor have they heard of any v2.

well I clearly have a V2 that was a replacement and the guy at the store that called them said when he called they just said "it is cracked at the overhang? ok we'll send a new one"

Taylormade M5
    Taylormade M4 3HL
    Taylormade M4 5wd
    Cleveland CBX 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Bridgestone BXS

@mktrout said:
    well I clearly have a V2 that was a replacement and the guy at the store that called them said when he called they just said "it is cracked at the overhang? ok we'll send a new one"

im not questions you, im saying its sad that TM doesn't seem to acknowledge this problem nor that a v2 is avail.. that's what i'm saying. read my initial comment, i think it';s pretty clear what i'm saying. im actually very excited that there's proof that there is a design change.

wasnt disagreeing with you, just TM in general

Taylormade M5
    Taylormade M4 3HL
    Taylormade M4 5wd
    Cleveland CBX 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Bridgestone BXS
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,930 ✭✭
    edited Mar 30, 2019 5:15pm #301

TM would have no reason to embellish this situation unless you actually have a warranty claim. That’s just the nature of business. They are keenly aware of this defect in design. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1