Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

TaylorMade M5 cracking already ???

Comments

• J9293J9293 Members Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t understand why people are waiting for an update before buying this. Recently TM products have been of poor quality and now an unreleased driver already has a major design flaw yet people still want to give their money to this company?

I’ve used TM clubs in the past so I’m not a TM hater for the sake of being one. It’s like buying a car that has known relatability issues when there are lots of other options available. I don’t understand this brand loyalty thing.
    Driver: [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Ping G400 Max - HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 6.0[/font]
    3 Wood:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Ping G400 - Alta CB[/font]
    Hybrid:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Ping G400 - Alta CB[/font]
    Irons: [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Bridgestone J40 DPC - LZ 6.0[/font]
    Wedges:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Callaway X-Forged - S300[/font]
    Putter:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Scotty Cameron Red X5[/font]
    Ball:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Titleist Pro V1x[/font]
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 7:14pm #183
    I was at my local store today and they checked all of the demo m5's and each one was cracked in the same spot.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • ignitewvuignitewvu Members Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was at my local store today and they checked Ll of the demo m5's and each one was cracked in the same spot.

Not an isolated issue at all......Hope TM fixes this ridiculous design & better yet I hope they replaced everyone who preordered one with the flaw with the V2 head once they get them built.
    M5 9 Fujikura Speeder Evo IV 661 Stiff
    M3 15 3 Wood Fujikura Motore Speeder VC8.1 Stiff
    M1 19 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos Blue 80HB Stiff
    M1 4i @ 39" KBS Tour 105
    Bridgestone J15DPF 5-PW DG Pro S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56 & 60 DGS200
    Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • Puttfordough91Puttfordough91 Banned Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Been at 2 golf shops today both same problem. Crazy
    TBD
    Tour issue 2017 m2 tour shaft tbd
    Nike vapor fly pro 3 fuji pro 115 ts
    4-9 jpx 919 tour c taper x
    Vokey 48 52 56 60 kbs c taper/hi rev
    Scotty buttonback newport 2
  • BeachsideGolferBeachsideGolfer Members Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    How was this not discovered and resolved during the initial prototype testing lol
  • TheSphynxTheSphynx “When is the next sloth eyed shootout?” Buckeye country Members Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that pro’s that was doing same, but I’m having a hard time thinking these demos aren’t eating shittt from people hitting them fatter than Golden Corral on a Sunday afternoon.
  • LemondeLemonde Members Posts: 745 ✭✭
    radiman wrote:

Would never happen with a SLDR-C.

That is the equivalent of this...

Post of the year so far.
    Driver - TM M5 Tour 435 10.5 Tensei Stock Orange X
    On Order - TM Original One Mini 13.5 Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
    Fairway - Ping G410 14.5 Evenflow Black 85 6.5 
    Hybrid - TM M6 19 Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
    Irons - W/S C300 Forged 5-GW KBS Tour V XStiff
    Wedge - Mizuno S18 56
    Wedge - TM Hi Toe 58
    Putter - Rife Phenom.Z 34”
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    When will they learn from the basic of Physics to make a better driver head than fitting pieces of different material together on smooth edge without room ( features) built in for tolerance of flexing ?

It'll keep failing at a high rate ( over 5%) until they figured out when pricing the drivers at such high price point, might as well make a better one with sound design.

But, then again, the design probably is not intended to last decades of use, so you can buy the next better model in a few years, anyway.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 2, 2019 7:53pm #190
    RobS14526 wrote:

Ti-Cip wrote:

there are 2 demo m5's at my country club that have cracked in this spot. the rep came by this week and this is what we were told. the demo clubs sent to ALL retailers are doing this. i am not sure if the first batch of m5 heads going out to customers have been changed, but the next batch is supposed to be more reinforced in this area. so in other words, TM knows of this problem and is in the works to fix it. what i noticed today is on the 2 m5 demos, if i push down on the carbon, where it cracked, i can feel the material compress down. thus this is causing the brittle carbon to crack.

very disappointing as i did get my m5 already, and looks like i am going to need to get an RA whenever i find out there are"v2" heads out.

Out of curiosity, is your club a grass range only or have the demos been striking the adjustable plastic tees on mats?
    I’ve read this a lot now, it shouldn’t matter these are common practice surfaces. Whether this happening on the practice mats or the course or the simulator, doesn’t matter. I’m sure TM will figure it out.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • RobS14526RobS14526 Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Ben wrote:

RobS14526 wrote:

Ti-Cip wrote:

there are 2 demo m5's at my country club that have cracked in this spot. the rep came by this week and this is what we were told. the demo clubs sent to ALL retailers are doing this. i am not sure if the first batch of m5 heads going out to customers have been changed, but the next batch is supposed to be more reinforced in this area. so in other words, TM knows of this problem and is in the works to fix it. what i noticed today is on the 2 m5 demos, if i push down on the carbon, where it cracked, i can feel the material compress down. thus this is causing the brittle carbon to crack.

very disappointing as i did get my m5 already, and looks like i am going to need to get an RA whenever i find out there are"v2" heads out.

Out of curiosity, is your club a grass range only or have the demos been striking the adjustable plastic tees on mats?
    I’ve read this a lot know, it shouldn’t matter these are common practice surfaces. Whether this happening on the practice mats or the course or the simulator, doesn’t matter. I’m sure TM will figure it out.

Oh, I agree completely. I was just curious because he mentioned his country club and I wanted to know if this was happening at grass ranges as well. It’s also not lost on me that Taylormade, more than any OEM, relies on moving their product through big box stores which makes this even more baffling.
  • TacTac Members Posts: 272
    I looked at the M5 for the first time today and can totally see how that edge could catch on the ground or perhaps even have a tee nick it.
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    kmay__ wrote:

Just saw this post on IG and noticed the piece of carbon is not present on this driver, they must already have the updated head in the works.

Looks like it's there to me.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • BaddsBadds Members Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 3, 2019 1:29am #194
    radiman wrote:

Would never happen with a SLDR-C.

That is the equivalent of this...

I love the Bobcat references. To this day I play the SLDR-C, which I bought after reading Bobcat's thread. It was less than $100 brand new! image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

You can keep your M5.
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This cracking problem is happening everywhere and the last thing TM needed. I would not be surprised to see TM on the market again, they have to be hemorrhaging money.
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s common knowledge that Taylormade reads this forum. I’m sure they’ve had emergency meetings and addressed the problem at the manufacturing level already.

The Question is, what do they do with the heads they’ve already made like this and haven’t shipped yet? The ones that are out already will just come back over the next year as warranty claims. Huge losses to be sure, but I wonder if they will actually alter the completed heads that haven’t shipped yet?
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • ignitewvuignitewvu Members Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It’s common knowledge that Taylormade reads this forum. I’m sure they’ve had emergency meetings and addressed the problem at the manufacturing level already.

The Question is, what do they do with the heads they’ve already made like this and haven’t shipped yet? The ones that are out already will just come back over the next year as warranty claims. Huge losses to be sure, but I wonder if they will actually alter the completed heads that haven’t shipped yet?

They need a slight redesign to where the CF is bonding inside a frame of titanium just like all of their other drivers. It shouldn't take too much effort or R&D, then the head will need to go through USGA certification.
    M5 9 Fujikura Speeder Evo IV 661 Stiff
    M3 15 3 Wood Fujikura Motore Speeder VC8.1 Stiff
    M1 19 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos Blue 80HB Stiff
    M1 4i @ 39" KBS Tour 105
    Bridgestone J15DPF 5-PW DG Pro S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56 & 60 DGS200
    Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • 3 Jack Par3 Jack Par I only answer to "Ace" now Members, ClubWRX Posts: 6,141 ClubWRX
    I was at a local store (Carl’s Golfland in Plymouth, MI), and I looked at the M5 demos they had out (probably about 8 heads), and I didn’t see any that were cracked in either spot. They also didn’t look like they’d been hit much yet. The demos there do take a beating, generally. They let you take out 3 clubs at a time and I really wanted to try the Epic Flash SZ, F9, and TS3, and those clubs all had mat scuffs on the soles and sky marks on the crown, and the TM clubs didn’t look like they’d been beaten up too much yet. They do use rubber tees there, FWIW.
    Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 8* Flat), Aldila Rogue Silver 130 70TX
    Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Aldila Rogue Silver 130 80TX
    Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X (or Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x)
    Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
    Titleist Vokey Forged 52F & 58K, Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200 (sometimes)
    Byron Morgan B-17, Blue oil finish, 34"
    WITB Link
  • 11forgedblades11forgedblades Members Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 3, 2019 4:23pm #199
    I don't understand how a manufacturer with the largest R & D golf budget in history could release a $500+ **** like this.
    COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
    TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
    COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
    TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
    BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"
    edited Feb 3, 2019 4:35pm #200

How was this not discovered and resolved during the initial prototype testing lol
    Thats the million dollar question, should be addressed too. They have upset loyal Customers. I for one would NEVER purchase this driver with known issues. Why would you??
    I checked out a demo head today. While it was not broken yet, it had some chips taken out in that area. Seems very plastic like.
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 3, 2019 6:55pm #202
    It's not the contact with the tee , not even so with the contact to the turf.

The design needs to allow the pieces to flex. Traditional bonding method will fail and fail again, anyone has the basic knowledge should know that. It's not how strong those pieces could bond together, the solution is to allow those pieces flex then return to shape. Epoxy or welding along the smooth lines will not work.
  • BaddsBadds Members Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It’s common knowledge that Taylormade reads this forum.

Well then they should re-release the SLDR-C!!
  • DNice26DNice26 Members Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m sure TaylorMade will make it right for those with the issue. If I had any issues with clubs in the past, they always sorted me out.

TaylorMade M6 10.5, Graphite Design 6X, 45.25"
    TaylorMade RBZ Tour Issue 18, Aldila Tour Blue 7X
    Ping G410 19 hybrid, Tensai Blue 8TX
    TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

• parmachineparmachine Members Posts: 16
    The M3 is known to have this problem with the carbon on the bottom, not surprising if the m5 has similar issues.
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    parmachine wrote:

The M3 is known to have this problem with the carbon on the bottom, not surprising if the m5 has similar issues.

Huh? I never saw (pics or in person) an M3 with damage to the sole.
  • jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX Posts: 2,193 ClubWRX
    parmachine wrote:

The only issues I'm aware of with the sole of the M3 are incidents where the player dropped an iron/wedge into the bag and the club head struck the sole of the driver wrong. Other than that, there is no known problem with the carbon sole of the M3.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Members Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    How many more sleeps until they release a revised head?
    On the road in Michigan and stopped at Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor, cool shop! They already have two cracked heads behind the counter. Not good...
  • milosmilos ms1 AustraliaMembers Posts: 142 ✭✭
    That flap isn't terribly different to the 2017 M1 driver, is it? Did they break as well?
    milos wrote:

That flap isn't terribly different to the 2017 M1 driver, is it? Did they break as well?

The flap wasn't carbon in 2017.
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights