Hand path help - down before out -- need drills/feels - AMG lesson video

Recently got an online lesson with Athletic Motion Golf, and the main issue Mike diagnosed in my swing is a hand path that starts moving out towards target line too early in the swing and not enough down.

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar swing change and how they went about it. Looking for drills/feels to get the hand path moving more downward early in transition/top of the downswing. How do you get the hands moving down without yanking on the handle and without getting too laid off and stuck?

I'm reminded of the feel Jack and Justin Rose talk about with keeping the back facing the target a split second longer and then pick of the hands and club with the pivot after they've started to drop and turn the corner.

Here are links to my swing (first two links) and the AMG lesson (third link)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12UVQjTcx09i7QFZJhAvMtOnC00GzPMKo/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UDQqWvaWcUmcwM5EKRBtcp7DGWMlA9-i/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UV2GHGwoJZeQ4OLhod57u_gEZhjeHF7K/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• crapulacrapula Golf! Members Posts: 1,783 ✭✭
    What did the instructor tell you to do?
    Srixon Z 785 9.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z F85 13.5 Project X HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z H85 16 Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
    Srixon Z 785 3-PW KBS Tour 120 S
    Cleveland RTX-3 52, 58 KBS Tour 120 S
    Odyssey Toulon Memphis Stroke Lab
    Srixon Yellow ZStar XV
  • semper76fisemper76fi Members Posts: 22
    Try The Bertholy Method. Look up Master Move, Vertical Drop, or Buckle, Sit, Slide, Bump; all Bertholyisms. Better yet, get the book; http://dougferreri.com/. Doug is also also on Facebook. Doug answers all emails; really nice guy, and the SME for all things Bertholy. 8^)
  • Jacob MacJacob Mac Members Posts: 1,762 ✭✭
    I would set up shafts on the plane you want to swing on and swing between them. If you want to spend money on a training aid, the chiliwacker does precisely this. But shafts would be way cheaper.

Drills are ok, but the shafts will give you real world feedback on your actual swing.
  • Jacob Mac wrote:

I would set up shafts on the plane you want to swing on and swing between them. If you want to spend money on a training aid, the chiliwacker does precisely this. But shafts would be way cheaper.

Drills are ok, but the shafts will give you real world feedback on your actual swing.

That's what he suggested. Shafts on the ball-to-elbow plane and keep hands and club under it.
  • falllinefallline Banned Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Out of curiosity what did you pay for the AMG lesson?
  • Jacob MacJacob Mac Members Posts: 1,762 ✭✭
    fallline wrote:

Out of curiosity what did you pay for the AMG lesson?

$50 for people who belong to monthly subscription, $100 for those who don't.
  • falllinefallline Banned Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Reminded me of a soap series, the first few minutes recap previous episodes, the last minutes preview upcoming content, and carving out commercial time leaves a few moments in-between those ends for new content in that episode.

The first 1:40 was basically reinforcing the sequence. There were some other issues, like time spent drawing lines, dead air, etc., but basically it is a 9 minute lesson for $100.00, or about $650.00/hour, and I think the lesson content is, quite arguably, questionable in a few areas.
  • kobe123kobe123 Golf Is A Way Of Life Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,003 ✭✭
    It won't be yanking on the handle as long as your pivoting. Check out my post from AMG, the pump drill could help you. Feel the left shoulder go down and around not straight around. That make sense? I sort of feel as if I'm yanking the handle but you will see I'm not because I'm pivoting. AMG golf is great, btw, stick with what Mike says and you'll notice improvements!
    fallline wrote:

Reminded me of a soap series, the first few minutes recap previous episodes, the last minutes preview upcoming content, and carving out commercial time leaves a few moments in-between those ends for new content in that episode.

The first 1:40 was basically reinforcing the sequence. There were some other issues, like time spent drawing lines, dead air, etc., but basically it is a 9 minute lesson for $100.00, or about $650.00/hour, and I think the lesson content is, quite arguably, questionable in a few areas.

I take in-person lessons from AMG and have nothing but great things to say. Almost every lesson I've taken from any instructor is about 10-15 minutes of diagnosing the problem, the other 45-50 minutes is you working on it. If it was the other way around you'd never improve because you'd have 100 swing thoughts.

Jacob Mac wrote:

Chiliwacker is a great training aid and Eric Chiles is a great dude.
  • fallline wrote:

Thanks so much for your valuable insight.

fallline wrote:

Always nice to get those comments. My best advice is to listen to Mike. I've been getting lessons with him since last year. Feel free to pm me and we can talk about things!
  • BrooksButlerBrooksButler Members Posts: 6
    edited Jan 28, 2019 7:00pm #13
    kobe123 wrote:

fallline wrote:

Always nice to get those comments. My best advice is to listen to Mike. I've been getting lessons with him since last year. Feel free to pm me and we can talk about things!

Yep. As if it only took him 9 minutes to make that video.

Anyways, I like Mike and AMG's content. I think his analysis is useful, and I plan to listen to him. For what it's worth, I also did an online lesson with Monte (whose content and ideas I've always liked) using the same videos and he also mentioned the hand path, though he offered two other main things to work on (one of which he referred to an AMG video to help me understand). I will be taking Monte's advice, as well, as I think it will make it easier to execute what Mike is asking me to do.
  • dapdap Members Posts: 2,556 ✭✭

[color="#282828"]Recently got an online lesson with Athletic Motion Golf, and the main issue Mike diagnosed in my swing is a hand path that starts moving out towards target line too early in the swing and not enough down.[/color]

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar swing change and how they went about it. Looking for drills/feels to get the hand path moving more downward early in transition/top of the downswing. How do you get the hands moving down without yanking on the handle and without getting too laid off and stuck?

I'm reminded of the feel Jack and Justin Rose talk about with keeping the back facing the target a split second longer and then pick of the hands and club with the pivot after they've started to drop and turn the corner.

Here are links to my swing (first two links) and the AMG lesson (third link)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12UVQjTcx09i7QFZJhAvMtOnC00GzPMKo/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UDQqWvaWcUmcwM5EKRBtcp7DGWMlA9-i/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UV2GHGwoJZeQ4OLhod57u_gEZhjeHF7K/view?usp=sharing

I'm not a fan of dropping or inside looping the hands in order to get a more downward hand path. The keep the back facing the target longer can work. If you keep the upper torso closed for longer the hands will naturally drop more without having to yank them down. I prefer the thought of covering my right foot with my chest. This has the same effect of keeping the upper torso closed for longer.
  • i*windowsi*windows Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭

Malaska hands in club head out... on youtube.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the **** ball.[/font]
    TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.
  • smeal818smeal818 Members Posts: 144 ✭✭

Bobby Mo golf dome represent

• TB07TB07 Members Posts: 6,093 ✭✭

Nothing like Mike Malaska prescribes. He is way OFF with his prescriptions IMO.

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,590 ✭✭

@i*windows said:
    Malaska hands in club head out... on youtube.

Share the link so the dummies can watch it. Lol

• i*windowsi*windows Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭
    edited Apr 26, 2019 9:04pm #19

@BB28403
    feel v real, gold.
    His stuff just works for me, but it seems counter intuative to things like Monte teaches.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the **** ball.[/font]
    TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji