Smoking while playing

Do people who smoke during a round bother you?

No big deal I just stay up wind.

How about cigars?

I do like the smell of them and have smoked one or two while playing a couple of times. I don't buy them or really smoke at all, just offered one.

How about weed?

Had a group that I played with sometimes and a couple of the guys smoked. They would always ride together. If you seen them pull off the side of the fairway stopped. They were smoking out of a pipe.Kind of Cheech and Chong type of guys. Funny.

How about smokeless tobacco?

I dipped for years. Still would if it was a lot healthier. It's a nasty habit though.

Comments

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Posts: 935 ✭✭
    Only thing that really bothers me is the illegal stuff. I don't want to be associated with it.

I tell people I don't care if they smoke while we play, even sharing a cart, but truthfully I would rather they didn't. It is not a make or break type of deal with me.
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,242 ClubWRX
    to each their own, as long it does not impact pace of play, or turn you into an idiot, enjoy yourself on the course. It has never bothered me.

I would rather play with someone that is high as opposed to drunk.
    F9 9* Atmos Black TS7
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 75
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 75
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,443 ✭✭
    Do people who smoke during a round bother you?

Nope.

How about cigars?

Nope.

How about weed?

No tolerance for Dopers.

How about smokeless tobacco?

Nope.
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Members Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    edited Jan 30, 2019 10:57am #5
    I much prefer not to be around it. I'm not interested in mixing smoking and golf.

My views are:

(1) Cigarettes are straight poison and no one should regularly smoke them--period.

(2) Cigars are pungent and can be problematic. They're better done as an everyone or no one type thing.

(3) Weed on the course? Never seen that. I don't see the point but I don't think it would be as noticeable as a cigar, which is good.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5)
    Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Black (16.5)
    Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 9031 (20 / 23)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (5-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52 (F) / 56 (F) / 60 (S)
    Putter: Nike Method Milled 003
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,304 ✭✭
    edited Jan 30, 2019 11:07am #6
    I smoked for over 20 years, but quit several years ago. I couldn’t care less if someone smokes on the golf course. The only thing that bothers me is when people throw their cigarette butts in the ground. Put it out, hang on to it, and throw it in one of the 18 tee box trash cans.

I occasionally smoke cigars on the course myself. I used to bring one for every round, but now it maybe 2-3 a year.

As for weed, if I didn’t have to pass hair drug tests for work, I’d probably be smoking it with them. I love the smell of cigars and weed, I just can’t smoke the fun stuff. One of these days, I’ll retire or win the lotto and not have to worry about it, lol. Till then, I’ll tow the line, but anyone else partaking has no effect on me. I’m not the one that has to go to jail if they get caught with it, and I don’t have to worry about providing for my family because I failed a drug test and lost my job.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,930 ✭✭
    You people are uptight, who gives a **** what other peeps do assuming it doesn’t effect your round.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • kmay__kmay__ Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Don't really care what others are doing out there, but leaving cigrit butts on the greens and teeboxes however **** me off big time. Weed, I smoke it every time I play, with very few exceptions, and its legal here now so no concerns that way. But we aren't leaving roaches behind and we aren't blowing smoke at people so it does not affect anyone.
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Bio-Cell 16.5*
    PING G30 4 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭
    Don't throw butts on the ground and don't spit juice on the green. That's it.

Show of hands: How many here have learned to check the divot sand box on the cart for roaches?
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Posts: 461 ✭✭
    I smoked for 25 years but quit 3 years ago, i actually vape now and i vape while im on the course, and no, other people smoking on the course wouldnt bother me, as long as they don't just throw the butts on the floor, i used to hate that even when i smoked.

What is "dipping"? (im not googling that on the works PC!)
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    I like to smoke a cigar during a round sometimes. So no, can't say I am bothered if others do it.

As for weed, I don't care if other people smoke weed on the course. I just prefer it not be anyone in my foursome since it's still illegal. The minute they make it legal, go nuts.
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • marmooskapaulmarmooskapaul Posts: 1,341 ✭✭
    I don't care if you run heroin...so,,,,, smoking anything doesn't bother me...lol.
  • fairways4lifefairways4life Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭
    Don't care if people smoke, but I just can not stand seeing cigarette butts on the course. It amazes me that smokers seem to think that it's okay to just toss cigarette butts on the ground. Golf course, sidewalk, wherever they please. It really isn't that hard to put them in a trash can on the next tee box. Or just pile them up in your cart and toss them after the round or something. Definitely one of my biggest pet peeves on the golf course.

I played with a guy recently who would vape on the greens. He would do it while I was putting and it was loud as ****. Kind of annoying.
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭
    I had a guy in group that vaped all day and it drove me bonkers. Not because he was vaping but because it smelled like pancakes and hot syrup and I had skipped breakfast. Had my mouth watering. it was awful. I was starving.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • payerasjlpayerasjl Members Posts: 724 ✭✭
    Land of the free.

Puff away, just make sure you pass image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,302 ✭✭
    Those that are against people smoking "weed" while golfing.

How about the use as a medicinal alternative? My pain Dr said I should use it to help with severe cervical stenosis. Also, it cuts down on the need for opoids.

I can't play much anymore regardless of which pain med I use. But without medical marijuana I couldn't play at all. I use a vape pen. Chances are you don't know when I use it. I do my best to be discreet.

It's a touchy subject I get it. In my case it's the only way I can even attempt to play anymore. I'm barley in my 50's and used to play 80-100 rounds a year.

Never thought I'd smoke later in life!!! It's kinda weird and funny ...
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,780 ✭✭
    I don't mind people smoking, as long as it's away from me. An occasional butt on the ground doesn't bother me. Dipping, with attendant spitting, is disgusting. Unfortunately, where I live, there are a lot of guys who dip. I've never played with anyone smoking weed, but they couldn't be worse than some of the drunk guys I've played with.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,930 ✭✭
    The weed smokers are not going to draw attention to themselves can’t see this effecting a sole.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,355 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 30, 2019 12:08pm #19
    Im okay with it an most people who do smoke that I run into try not to get the smoke in the groups directions or they are nice enough to ask if it bothers them. Im a casual cigar smoker especially in a scramble format where I know we are not going to shoot low enough to cover the sandbagging. To each their own. Now on the illegal stuff, Im on board with not wanting that stuff around me because you will tend to smell like those you hang out with after a four hour round and I dont want any hint of it especially since I have kids and of course licenses to protect. As far as dipping, its gross. I had a buddy who dipped and he was spewing spit everywhere. Not a pretty sight and if you ever saw a person with mouth cancer as I have due to dipping, not a pretty sight to say the least.
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB 50/54/60 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Taylor Made Ghost Long Hosel DA22
    Vice Pro +
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,593 ✭✭
    Don't care if you smoke anything at all.

BUT - That bucket of sand on the cart is NOT AN ASHTRAY!!!!!!
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    Now that you ask I can't remember the last time I played with someone who smoked. So I guess it's a non issue for me.
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,501 ClubWRX
    I don't care for any of it. Cigarettes or cigars are stupid to smoke, but if you do it well away from me it is your suicide. Dipping is disgusting. Weed is illegal and I don't want be around illegal activities. If it is medicinal then it is legal and not much to say about that.
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,237 ClubWRX

I don't care if you run heroin...so,,,,, smoking anything doesn't bother me...lol.

Would heroin help improve pace of play?
  • slide13slide13 Members Posts: 1,329 ✭✭
    I don't like the smell of cigarettes (anymore...I am an ex smoker but I find it pretty gross now, 10 years later). Cigars, pipes, etc aren't as bad. I'd prefer not to smell any of it during my round but whatever, not going to let it bother me either.

The one that would bother me the least is someone smoking weed. Usually done for shorter periods and the smell doesn't bother me as much. Surprised to see so many people would be bothered by that more.
    Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
  • PhreddyPhreddy Members Posts: 596 ✭✭
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em. I don't care. But please stop leaving your butts on the tee box or side of the green.

Much rather share a round with someone smoking weed than the guy who is a few cocktails past seeing only one ball at address.

Phred
    If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.
  • Hit em goodHit em good Hit em good Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭
    Smoking legal stuff and dipping don't bother me in the least.

Smoking dope is altogether different. I don't keep time with folks who do that.

Hit em good
    Driver: 07 Burner TP
    4 wood: Ping G25
    7 wood: Ping G25
    23° hybrd:  Ping G25
    5i - pw: Mizuno MP64
    Wedges 50° / 54° / 58°: Cleveland Rotex 2.0 (2 dot , 3 dot , 2 dot)
    Putter: Ping Redwood Anser
    Ball: Titleist Pro v1x / Pro v1
    Bag: Titlest Stand Bag / 4 way top
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,443 ✭✭

I don't care for any of it. Cigarettes or cigars are stupid to smoke, but if you do it well away from me it is your suicide. Dipping is disgusting. Weed is illegal and I don't want be around illegal activities. If it is medicinal then it is legal and not much to say about that.

Tell us how you really feel.
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,272 ✭✭
    Smoking makes you look cool.
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Posts: 1,051 ✭✭

Those that are against people smoking "weed" while golfing.

How about the use as a medicinal alternative? My pain Dr said I should use it to help with severe cervical stenosis. Also, it cuts down on the need for opoids.

I can't play much anymore regardless of which pain med I use. But without medical marijuana I couldn't play at all. I use a vape pen. Chances are you don't know when I use it. I do my best to be discreet.

It's a touchy subject I get it. In my case it's the only way I can even attempt to play anymore. I'm barley in my 50's and used to play 80-100 rounds a year.

Never thought I'd smoke later in life!!! It's kinda weird and funny ...

My only issue with weed is that it's illegal. If they make it legal, I don't have a problem if another member brings it along in my foursome. I won't smoke it, but at least I can't get in trouble by association.
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • altess27altess27 Northern MN Southpaw Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited Jan 30, 2019 1:31pm #30
    I smoke weed on the golf course, I have one of those vape pens with the oil like mizuno player so nobody can smell anything and most of the time nobody even knows I'm doing it. Cigarettes and cigars on the course don't bother me one bit, it's outside so it's not like the smell lingers.
    Titleist 913 D2 Driver
    Callaway XR 16 5 Wood
    Srixon Z H85 Hybrid
    Taylormade P760 Irons
    Piretti & Hi Toe Wedges
    Bettinardi BB8
  • ChristopherMcDonaldChristopherMcDonald Members Posts: 2,396 ✭✭
    Vape discreetly during the round and smoke weed on occassion depending on the group. Don't care what anyone else does, allow them to live their lives and enjoy golf in their own way
    King LTD Rogue 95 MSI
    2007 Burner 3 Wood Aldila Serrano 75
    2007 Burner 5 Wood Aldila Serrano 75
    Taylormade Jetspeed Hybrid True Temper Project X 6.0
    Adams XTD Tour 5-GW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Custom Cameron & Crown 5MB
    Wilson Staff Duo