Johnny Miller

cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5'sTasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,257 ✭✭
https://www.pgatour.com/long-form/2019/01/29/johnny-miller-king-of-the-desert-waste-management-phoenix-open.html

full disclosure: I am a huge Johnny Miller fan. He was my idol as a competitive junior golfer.

Followed him around at Canadian Open's as a kid at Glen Abbey GC in Oakville, ON. Still have some pics
Ping G410 LST 11.5* Blueboard 53x
Ping G400 13.5* Blueboard 63x
Ping G400 16.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
Ping Blueprint 6i DG xp115 x100
Ping Blueprint 7-PW DG s400 orange dot
Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
Tagged:

Comments

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,325 ✭✭
    In his prime the GREATEST iron player that ever lived. Pretty good with the woods as well. If he had Jacks self confidence on the greens and ability to focus for 20 years instead of 5, he would be the undisputed greatest. If's and but's.....

Thanks Johnny.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,257 ✭✭
    There is a couple of Johnny Miller bunkers as well ... that I know of anyways

One at Carnoustie where he failed to get out of a fairway bunker on 18 with a 6 iron

There is also a great story with a fairway bunker on a par 5 at Muirfield Village. 7th IIRC? Nicklaus couldn't believe Miller hit the green with a 3 wood and promptly made it much deeper before the following year's tournament
  • vernonvernon Hi! I'm Holly! Members Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    I'm gonna miss him. I'll be 66 in March so I followed him pretty closely during his prime and have really enjoyed him in his role as an announcer.

Of course, I'm the guy that likes the guys that everybody else hates: Nantz, McCord, Feherty, et al.

I also hate to see the guys that were childhood heroes get old.

Can be a little depressing but that's life.

I hope that the rest of his is rich and fulfilling.
  • GautamaGautama Members Posts: 784 ✭✭
    Golf announcers are so love em or hate em for some reason and I know he has his share from the latter, but I was a fan and always enjoyed his directness and player's insight. I'll definitely miss him (but won't miss all the threads and posts about how much people don't like him, lol).
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • mupepperboymupepperboy Members Posts: 88 ✭✭
    Tough shoes to fill in the booth. Hope the finale is a worthy end!
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,200 ✭✭
    He said what he thought. Which is rare in these snowflake PC days. Ditto the comments on being a great iron player.
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,564 ClubWRX
    not that much of a fan as an announcer, BUT MAN did he have some unbelievable game....
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,533 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 31, 2019 8:58pm #9
    elwhippy nailed it. Too bad the pros are such cry babies as I really enjoyed his insight, and he knew what he was talking about. I am very sore at how the media treated him because of his not pc views, go Johnny!
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,150 ClubWRX
    Best golf announcer ever.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 1,110 ✭✭
    Dudes interview on GC a minute ago **** near had me shed a tear watching him shed a tear.
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,117 ClubWRX
    Best iron player I've ever seen. I watched him in Las Vegas shoot a 64 that should have been about 57. Every shot just went right at the pin. I can remember that round even though it happened over 40 years ago.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,257 ✭✭
    I can still remember him striping an old persimmon driver and then a 2 iron into a long par 4 at Glen Abbey. Made the 12 footer for bird. Was great to follow him for 18. He strolled around like he had zero interest and still managed to shoot 67. I know he wished he'd won the Canadian Open. Cook beat him in a monster playoff (6 holes IIRC) in 1983. I was 15.5, Johnny was past his prime
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,711 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:

In his prime the GREATEST iron player that ever lived. Pretty good with the woods as well. If he had Jacks self confidence on the greens and ability to focus for 20 years instead of 5, he would be the undisputed greatest. If's and but's.....

Thanks Johnny.

I love Johnny ! Met him at Bethpage Black US OPEN, had lunch with him... and he is the nicest guy on the planet. Haters should meet him before hatin'. As far as if's and but's...if my Aunt had nuts, she'd be my Uncle ! image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,927 ✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 6:01pm #16

dlygrisse wrote:

Thanks Johnny.

I love Johnny ! Met him at Bethpage Black US OPEN, had lunch with him... and he is the nicest guy on the planet. Haters should meet him before hatin'. As far as if's and but's...if my Aunt had nuts, she'd be my Uncle ! image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />

Whatja eat?

Johnny strikes me as a chicken salad on white toast, fries, and coke guy.

And what did you talk about?

Cmon, sheldon ; )
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,422 ✭✭
    I'm a pro Johnny guy. Will miss his commentary. Many moons ago I was working bagroom in CA desert and he walks around the corner (during the Hope) and just hung out with us scrubs for like 10 min shooting the breeze. Seemed like cool dude.
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX Posts: 1,454 ClubWRX
    My avatar speaks for itself...

Wow what a swing he had....absolutely went for it every time...

-Chris
    Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,389 ✭✭
    At first I was not a fan. It was so out of left field for golf commentary. The more I heard and the more the players hated what he said the more I liked him.

• McCann1McCann1 Tour Player Members Posts: 1,732 ✭✭
    Why is he retiring tomorrow and not on Sunday? Going to miss him announcing on Sundays
    Enjoy the chase.
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,711 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

dlygrisse wrote:

Thanks Johnny.

Whatja eat?

Johnny strikes me as a chicken salad on white toast, fries, and coke guy.

And what did you talk about?

Cmon, sheldon ; )

In a hospitality tent...the usual...cocktail shrimp, roast beef, caesar salads, chocolate-chip cookies, ice-cream...the works. I had a grey goose and tonic...Johnny had a diet coke. We talked about his family...24-count 'em-grand kids !!!...the guy has TWENTY-FOUR grandkids. We also talked a lot about golf technology...comparing iPhone GPS apps...and he had a cool app he showed me called "Breakmeter" which helps ya read greens. Overall great guy. Seriously, Bscinstnct, All the Johnny Miller Haters should really meet him. image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />
  • naval2006naval2006 ArgentinaMembers Posts: 971 ✭✭
    JM is the real deal. When I was a kid my buddy and I always wanted to be Johnny MIller, not Nicklaus. He had the swing and the style. And true, he always says what first comes up to his mind, which is priceless on tv these days. Diehard fan of JM. The best for him in retirement.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,325 ✭✭
    naval2006 wrote:

JM is the real deal. When I was a kid my buddy and I always wanted to be Johnny MIller, not Nicklaus. He had the swing and the style. And true, he always says what first comes up to his mind, which is priceless on tv these days. Diehard fan of JM. The best for him in retirement.

For all you young bucks out there, who think JM is and old crusty mean jerk, keep in mind when he was in his prime as a player, he was the young, cool, hip guy that was challenging Jack, Arnie, Lee, and Billy. Johnny was the man, he wore the coolest clothes, had the best hair, he was kind of the Rickie Fowler of the day, except that he actually won a lot.

anyway, carry on.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,533 ClubWRX
    He could have won more, but he loved his family more than golf, and look at his family!! He said building the log cabin with his family destroyed his golf, because it developed the wrong muscles. I wish the **** media had left him alone and let him make more comments with his brilliant insight, of which the rest were so **** jealous of. There's a training video he did with Nicklaus and the other greats, pretty cool.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,918 ✭✭
    McCann1 wrote:

Why is he retiring tomorrow and not on Sunday? Going to miss him announcing on Sundays

This.

Anybody catch why he's finishing on a 3rd round and not on Sunday ?

What ? He wanted to make sure he caught all of the Super Bowl ?
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Silver (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,581 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:

Thanks Johnny.

I think me and you were charter members of the "Johnny Miller is a great announcer" club on WRX.

I've defended him since my first day here. I really like listening to him and it's too bad he's retiring, though he's earned it and best of luck to him.

May he enjoy his retirement, hitting 3-metals off the tee whenever he's playing a hog's back 4-par
    Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20H w/Diamana D+ 90
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC northwood center shaft 400gram
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭
    I'm mixed about him. In general, I don't mind the directness and saying things others wouldn't say.

However, his career is not that good to speak down upon everyone that isn't Tiger.

Maybe it's not intentional (or maybe it is and was done as a "business decision"), but it comes across that way.

And yes, he was great for a while but in the grand scheme of things his record blends in with many.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • forgedforeverforgedforever Members Posts: 1,752 ✭✭
    nsxguy wrote:

McCann1 wrote:

This.

I read something somewhere that he wanted Sunday to be about the tournament winner and not himself.
  • PulledabillPulledabill Members Posts: 351 ✭✭
    Great player during a time for sure, but no love for him in the booth. z
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,693 ✭✭

nsxguy wrote:

McCann1 wrote:

This.

I read something somewhere that he wanted Sunday to be about the tournament winner and not himself.
    Exactly this. It sounds like much of the broadcast tomorrow will be about Johnny and not the tourney.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!