Johnny Miller

Comments

• mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,327 ✭✭

nsxguy wrote:

McCann1 wrote:

Why is he retiring tomorrow and not on Sunday? Going to miss him announcing on Sundays

This.

Anybody catch why he's finishing on a 3rd round and not on Sunday ?

What ? He wanted to make sure he caught all of the Super Bowl ?

I read something somewhere that he wanted Sunday to be about the tournament winner and not himself.

That sounds like something he would say and do. He's gonna cry and he knew that would distract the viewers.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,098 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

dlygrisse wrote:

In his prime the GREATEST iron player that ever lived. Pretty good with the woods as well. If he had Jacks self confidence on the greens and ability to focus for 20 years instead of 5, he would be the undisputed greatest. If's and but's.....

Thanks Johnny.

I think me and you were charter members of the "Johnny Miller is a great announcer" club on WRX.

I've defended him since my first day here. I really like listening to him and it's too bad he's retiring, though he's earned it and best of luck to him.

May he enjoy his retirement, hitting 3-metals off the tee whenever he's playing a hog's back 4-par

And a trap draw! On a 3 par.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,098 ✭✭
    edited Feb 2, 2019 12:14am #34
    I didn’t play golf during his prime. So I wasn’t into the game. I did worship all things sports and devoured Sports Illustraded, Sport, The Sporting News and any other publication you could get in the days before cable TV and the internet.

I knew Jack, Arnie, Watson and Johnny from the articles. I knew they were special, just like Staubach and Bradshaw, Havlicek and Bird, Dr. j, Brett, Rose, Richard Petty. Borg, **** even Bruce Jenner and OJ. I could go on and on.

Johnny was in that class, you knew who he was because of his image. If social media were around he would have been huge. Maybe he isn’t a alltime great, but he lived at that level for a while. Plus I loved him as an announcer when it was obvious most of the other guys didn’t want to hurt the players feelings cause they were buddies. Johnny wa misunderstood, he wasn’t arrogant he was honest. He criticized himself and others for the same faults, he also praised others and himself for success. Call him what you want but he called it as he saw it.

I did watch every shot of the 94 Pebble Beech pro Am which was his last victory. He was a full time announcer then and it was shocking to see him win. I’ll never forget the low hook hw

E hit into 17 at PB with a 7 wood with a huge wind coming off the ocean. If he could putt he would have won by 10.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • ClintDaggerClintDagger Members Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Great guy, class act. By far my favorite announcer in any sport. He will leave a huge void.
    TM ’16 M2 Tour 8.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75g / 6.5
    TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14* Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 80 X
    TM P-790 (2-4 iron) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    TM P-760 (5-7 iron) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    TM P-730 (8-PW) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    Titleist Vokey SM 6 52* 08-F
    Titleist Vokey SM 5 60* 04-L
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Te I3
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭
    Not many golfers can say they influenced the game in some shape or form but Johnny Miller can.

johnny-miller-oakmont-scorecard_640.jpg
  • forgedforeverforgedforever Members Posts: 1,750 ✭✭

nsxguy wrote:

McCann1 wrote:

Why is he retiring tomorrow and not on Sunday? Going to miss him announcing on Sundays

This.

Anybody catch why he's finishing on a 3rd round and not on Sunday ?

What ? He wanted to make sure he caught all of the Super Bowl ?

I read something somewhere that he wanted Sunday to be about the tournament winner and not himself.

That sounds like something he would say and do. He's gonna cry and he knew that would distract the viewers.

Spot on! He was crying already yesterday in a show of true emotion. What I enjoyed hearing was his plans to be greatly involved with his 24 (I think) grandchildren. Paraphrasing here, he said he wanted to be able to teach them some life lessons, to not make the mistakes he has, and to take them fly fishing etc. He noted this while acknowledging how difficult times are today for

teenagers growing up.

Johnny will be missed!
  • OBbogey5OBbogey5 Falconer Members Posts: 960 ✭✭
    I gotta jump in here on this one. When I was 12 or 13 years old, Johnny just started announcing.

My first two memories of him were my dad telling me that if he could take a lesson from anyone in the game it would be Johnny Miller. Don’t know why that stuck with me, but from then on I always listened to everything he ever said about playing the game.

The other memory was his “Hogan would be turning over in his grave” comment. I loved it. And I loved knowing that Johnny was going to speak his mind, Golf snubs be dammed.

I also read a book of his (or maybe it was an article?..long time ago) where he explained that life lessons can be taught to a son or daughter or young person while you teach them a sport - fishing, hitting balls on the range, etc. That always stuck with me and it’s something I strive to do.

So yeah, Johnny impacted my own life. I didn’t just listen to what he said in the Booth; I appreciate how he has affected how I live my life. Thank you, Johnny. You have certainly made your mark. Congrats and live well, old friend. You’ve earned it.
  • bamagatorbamagator Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    I'll be naughty and say I won't miss him. I respect what he did as a player but his bitter tonality was constantly on display in his commentating and it crossed the line from being critical as a coach would be, to cynical and overly judgmental imho. Apples and oranges, but you don't hear Duval with that tone despite him having a short but amazing pro career.

Remember when Miller showed out during a Ryder Cup event and then got bashed by 3 or more players on live TV? Ahhhhhh….memories.
    Gamer Bag:
    Cobra F6+ Pro Driver 9.5 Deg, Cobra F6 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 5W Woods
    Titleist 990 3-PW Irons
    Vokey 52/08, 56/12 Wedges
    Odyssey Rossie ii Putter
    Snell MTB Ball (Black or Red)
  • vernonvernon Hi! I'm Holly! Members Posts: 1,184 ✭✭
    bamagator wrote:

I'll be naughty and say I won't miss him. I respect what he did as a player but his bitter tonality was constantly on display in his commentating and it crossed the line from being critical as a coach would be, to cynical and overly judgmental imho. Apples and oranges, but you don't hear Duval with that tone despite him having a short but amazing pro career.

Remember when Miller showed out during a Ryder Cup event and then got bashed by 3 or more players on live TV? Ahhhhhh….memories.
    Yeah, but I can't remember a single thing that Duval has ever said since he picked up a microphone whereas the list of memorable quotes from Johnny Miller are too many to count.

Like most everything in life it all comes down to one's perspective I guess.
  • McCann1McCann1 Tour Player Members Posts: 1,728 ✭✭
    vernon wrote:

bamagator wrote:

Yeah, but I can't remember a single thing that Duval has ever said since he picked up a microphone whereas the list of memorable quotes from Johnny Miller are too many to count.

Like most everything in life it all comes down to one's perspective I guess.
    agreed everyone has their own opinion but Miller isn’t supposed to critique like a coach. He’s supposed to say what we’re all saying on our couches. Which he was incredible at doing
    Enjoy the chase.
  • Chief IlliniwekChief Illiniwek Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭
    GOAT announcer. Great combination of having been there done that at an incredible level, while telling it like it is in the announcers booth which is how I like my sports commentary as long as it's not over the top, which he wasn't. Will be missed!
  • carrier streetcarrier street Members Posts: 1,174 ✭✭
    I never really cared for him as an announcer. Didn't think he was particularly insightful and he was the original FIGJAM.
    M3
    910 FD
    P790 UDI 2 iron
    3-PW MP18 MB
    Vokey 54S and 60L
    Scotty TEI3 Newport
  • jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,525 ✭✭
    Sad to see him go. He was my favorite player growing up and loved watching him and Nicklaus go at it. He's been really good as a commentator too and I like that he didn't hold any punches. Big ego but always a joy. He will be missed. Disappointed Azinger is replacing him though.
  • eddie_maxeddie_max Members Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    edited Feb 2, 2019 4:11pm #45
    My God shut your hole, Miller. You were the first person in history to try the anchor arm putter? GTFO.

Carry on image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,700 ✭✭
    eddie_max wrote:

My God shut your hole, Miller. You were the first person in history to try the anchor arm putter? GTFO.

Faldo???.... Is that YOU ? image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />
  • eddie_maxeddie_max Members Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

eddie_max wrote:

Faldo???.... Is that YOU ? image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />

MAYBE
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,461 ✭✭
    Poor Johnny. Announces golf for almost 30 years then weeks after he retires he could have broadcast the women’s amateur at Augusta National.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,361 ✭✭
    I'll miss Miller as an announcer, wish him the best.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,760 ✭✭
    At least they didn’t make a really lame song for Johnn- oh crap spoke too soon
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Ok. I shed a few tears....

I know some dislike him but I’ll definitely miss Johnny.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • SimpSimp Members Posts: 2,908 ✭✭
    He'll be missed.
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    Mizuno MP18 SC's Fli-Hi 4&5
    Cleveland RTX3 50,54 & 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
  • thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends... Members Posts: 433 ✭✭
    I hadn’t heard of his Cheez Whiz habit before today. That’s revolting.

Will echo comments from others - OG FIGJAM.
    Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD GP
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 50° 54°
    Hi-Toe 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
  • falllinefallline Banned Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Flushed from the fairway and the booth, he'll be missed.
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,461 ✭✭

I hadn't heard of his Cheez Whiz habit before today. That's revolting.

Will echo comments from others - OG FIGJAM.

Johnny also broadcasts barefoot. Probably pantsless too.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • bigchucksrbigchucksr Members Posts: 308 ✭✭
    I've never been a Miller fan, either his golf career or as a commentator--a bit too arrogant for my taste but I will congratulate him and NBC for the professional manner in which they handled the departure today. It was impressive by being just right with a minimum of bathos. Good work for all concerned and I wish Miller well during his retirement.
  • spbrooksspbrooks Members Posts: 323 ✭✭
    Gonna miss Johnny's raw honesty, certainly like his approach more than Brandle's.
    Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Oban Kiyoshi HB

Ping G 14.5

Callaway Apex UT 21* or Titleist 816H 19*

Titleist 918 AP2 4-pw Project X 6.0

Titleist SM6 50,54,58

Scotty Laguna

TM TP 5
  • Need4spdNeed4spd Members Posts: 1,527 ✭✭
    edited Feb 2, 2019 6:37pm #58
    As a brutally honest individual myself, I’m a big fan. All good things come to an end.
    In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    TaylorMade M2 15° Aldila ROGUE Silver 110 M.S.I. 70X
    TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 KBS TOUR Hybrid Prototype 95X
    Srixon Z965 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 60.12D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura 6M 
    Titleist ProV1X 
  • PuttCurseRepeatPuttCurseRepeat It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it! Members Posts: 822 ✭✭
    edited Feb 2, 2019 6:52pm #59
    Just happened to turn on the WMTO and see the references to Miller's retirement and I thought, Oh, he's retiring this year. Then the more I watched I realized he's retiring at the end of this tournament. Wasn't until I saw Maltby crying on the 18th fairway that I realized that he was retiring after today's round, so I'm glad I happened to tune in.

When I think of the best or my favorite golf announcers, Johnny Miller is not a name that comes to mind, but I have closely associated golf on NBC with him for years. So, his retirement is a momentous occasion, in my opinion.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,726 ✭✭
    I'm not a fan of Johnny Miller as a golf announcer, but he was definitely better at it than Jack.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,832 ✭✭
    Need4spd wrote:

As a brutally honest individual myself, I'm a big fan. All good things come to an end.
    golf is a game of honesty
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag