Johnny Miller

13»

Comments

• bamagatorbamagator Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Who the flip squrits cheese wiz direct into their mouth...especially as a former professional elite athlete? Okay, the tribute today did make me soften my stance vs my prior comment...……….nah kidding....his lack of filter sucked and if I was a player on tour that he spewed bitter cheese wiz tea on I would have met him outside the trailer or whatever he sits in and had a chat old school style if he flamed me.

Faldo was the ice king in competition and many players hate him or can't get over his mental game approach. On air he is a charming funny SOB...shortened career but not a whine/cheese wiz guy, yes pun intended and I call it!
    Gamer Bag:
    Cobra F6+ Pro Driver 9.5 Deg, Cobra F6 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 5W Woods
    Titleist 990 3-PW Irons
    Vokey 52/08, 56/12 Wedges
    Odyssey Rossie ii Putter
    Snell MTB Ball (Black or Red)
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,826 ✭✭
    Faldo's peers hated him as a player ....
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • MiggaletoeMiggaletoe Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
    How are people calling him honest? He was just a ***** who disguised his invalid criticisms as being "honest" for the most part. He would trash people from making playing mistakes because he was in the booth and saw the same mistake being made throughout the day, as if the pros had that same knowledge....
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,826 ✭✭
    Maltby's send off was so nice and straight from the heart

I can tell you that my interactions with him ... including a lesson and playing some holes at Pebble on a golf sim ... revealed him to be one heck of a human being

His delivery took away from his incredible insight to a degree but that was part of the appeal
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

Faldo's peers hated him as a player ....

And how many of them have more majors than him?!
  • PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,391 ✭✭
    elwhippy wrote:

He said what he thought. Which is rare in these snowflake PC days.

Exactly. I'll miss him in the booth.
    R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,659 ✭✭
    edited Feb 3, 2019 9:16am #68
    Miggaletoe wrote:

How are people calling him honest? He was just a ***** who disguised his invalid criticisms as being "honest" for the most part. He would trash people from making playing mistakes because he was in the booth and saw the same mistake being made throughout the day, as if the pros had that same knowledge....

Correct. It wasn't honesty; it was candor passed off as honesty. He's part of the Jim Romeification of American sports broadcasting.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 460 ✭✭
    You’d figure he invented television, microphones, and sports announcing while curing cancer.

Relax, opinionated old dude is retiring, happens all the time.

• lchanglchang Members Posts: 541 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

Maltby's send off was so nice and straight from the heart

I can tell you that my interactions with him ... including a lesson and playing some holes at Pebble on a golf sim ... revealed him to be one heck of a human being

His delivery took away from his incredible insight to a degree but that was part of the appeal

I also really liked Maltby’s little speech.
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX Posts: 1,388 ClubWRX
    Johnny Miller rules....

He and Colin Montgomerie are the most misunderstood in golf history imho...

-Chris
    Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,385 ✭✭
    For a three year stretch or so, from 72-74 on tour, Miller was the absolute best iron player I have ever seen. And his calls as an announcer about the mental side of the game were golden as well.

I'll miss his calls.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • chivachiva Members Posts: 2,477 ✭✭
    Johnny Miller is the man!!!
    OB and water hazards you flunkies
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,432 ClubWRX
    It is not hard to figure out the Cheeze Whiz. As an announcer they miss some meals, and a can of CW can get you by. Maybe I will throw a can in the bag?
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,582 ✭✭

Miggaletoe wrote:

Correct. It wasn't honesty; it was candor passed off as honesty.

What some will go through to get in a "shot". image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

can·dor

The quality of being open and honest in expression; frankness.

frank·ness

The quality of being open, honest, and direct in speech or writing

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Evnroll 1.2 (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,355 ✭✭
    edited Feb 3, 2019 11:26am #76
    Miggaletoe wrote:

Typical golf announcer, "Im sure he would have liked to have hit that a little closer"

Johnny, "thats a terrible shot for a pro"

I prefer the latter.
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,363 ✭✭
    Miggaletoe wrote:

95% of the time I thought his criticisms were valid. The top golfers in the world shouldn't miss by 30' from 120 yards in, that might be good for me, but I'd expect a top pro to be closer. Miller called them out when they messed up, not make excuses for them like most announcers, he's not from the give everyone a participation generation.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

Miggaletoe wrote:

Typical golf announcer, "Im sure he would have liked to have hit that a little closer"

I prefer the latter.

I haven't read this whole thread but as quick as he could be to call a bad shot what it was, he was equally willing to call a great shot a great shot. He wasn't an entirely one sided announcer.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    W/S C300 15* - Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* - Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S FG Tour Forged - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Bucktown
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,669 ClubWRX
    I stuck with the replay coverage while doing other stuff last night waiting and waiting to have them cut to Roger Maltbie - just about my favorite announcer ever. Heartfelt and real.

I had to laugh as they rolled footage of all the guys Johnny shared a booth with - a few that were just not great, lol, and Dan isn't my favorite, but so what.

Have always appreciated his approach, when genuine folks like Maltbie and Nicklaus count someone among their very close friends you kind of get a little insight into their character.

Incredible player, great in the booth for a long, long time.

I'm not looking it up, but once upon a time, before he became an announcer, I believe Azinger called Johnny, "the biggest moron in the booth" or words to that effect. Later when asked about it, he joked that he said or meant Johnny was the biggest Mormon in the booth, which was pretty funny. Guessing he sees the other side of that now after doing TV work and with this job becoming reality.

All the shots Johnny has taken over the years and with the platform he's had all that time, you never really saw him abusing it or trying to get back at folks, etc. I'll miss him when I do watch NBC golf.

I commend to anyone's watching the Feherty episode with Johnny Miller. It is great and you get a real sense at times of Johnny as a person.
    bscinstnct wrote:

Miggaletoe wrote:

I prefer the latter.

Except that often times, the shot wasn't bad but rather the player didn't judge something about it correctly. Miller would use his knowledge from the booth and think the players should know the same things. There was times where every single pro was coming up short/long or missing a putt high/low and then have Miller s*** on them for it being "obvious".
    Miggaletoe wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Miggaletoe wrote:

I prefer the latter.

Except that often times, the shot wasn't bad but rather the player didn't judge something about it correctly. Miller would use his knowledge from the booth and think the players should know the same things. There was times where every single pro was coming up short/long or missing a putt high/low and then have Miller s*** on them for it being "obvious".

How about "chunks" ? image/ninja.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ninja:' /> "Oops, he got that just a touch heavy". image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

If there were extenuating circumstances like wind, rain, a poor lie, etc. JM would be the first to mention that any of those might be the reason the player "missed". "Green light special with a wedge". "That was a poor shot".

Funny how one's memory works (or not), isn't it ? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Titleist AVX
    nsxguy wrote:

Miggaletoe wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Miggaletoe wrote:

I prefer the latter.

How about "chunks" ? image/ninja.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ninja:' /> "Oops, he got that just a touch heavy". image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

If there were extenuating circumstances like wind, rain, a poor lie, etc. JM would be the first to mention that any of those might be the reason the player "missed". "Green light special with a wedge". "That was a poor shot".

Funny how one's memory works (or not), isn't it ? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I don't really give two craps about recognizing someone for doing their job correctly...
    Miggaletoe wrote:

nsxguy wrote:

Miggaletoe wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Miggaletoe wrote:

I prefer the latter.

I don't really give two craps about recognizing someone for doing their job correctly...

I hope your boss doesn't/didn't feel the same way. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Titleist AVX
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,355 ✭✭
    Miggaletoe wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Miggaletoe wrote:

I prefer the latter.

And the best part is that he was

Suckin on a can of cheez wiz, barefoot

While he busted everones *alls ; )
  • IVMIVM Members Posts: 454 ✭✭
    The only thing to be said .

Johnnie Miller you will be greatly missed.
  • hogans71hogans71 Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me Members Posts: 10,701 ✭✭
    Twenty five odd years in my family room has offered up great viewing memories. He was awfully good on and off the course.

I wish him the best as he will be missed.
  • Chef OttoChef Otto I Surf Snow & Putt For Dough Members Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Going to really miss him in the booth. As a kid in the 70’s he was my first golf hero and I have been lucky to have met him many times the past 24 years and he is a class act.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
    Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
    PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
    PING i500 4-U Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
    Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"
  • nicoy3knicoy3k Members Posts: 730 ✭✭
    My fav announcer- will be missed.
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,898 ✭✭

Johnny Miller rules....

-Chris

Mac O'Grady - who really understood him????

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:4693342]
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 758 ✭✭
    Miggaletoe wrote:

nsxguy wrote:

Miggaletoe wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Miggaletoe wrote:

I prefer the latter.

100% the opposite here....recognition for doing the job correctly grows teams and grows individuals. Most humans value recognition and that motivates them to move forward, push the envelope, and soon enough the bar that identifies correct moves higher.
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z765 with SteelFiber R shafts
    or
    Cobra Black Forged Tec 4i - AW with Recoil F4 shafts
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 650 ✭✭

Johnny Miller rules....

-Chris

+1
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .