Anyone else alarmed by price increases?

Cornwall1888Cornwall1888 Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
This year prices seem to be going crazy, if you go with a top manufacturers a full set of new gear will cost you nearly £3000

Driver £500

Wood £270

2 hybrids/driving irons £440

Irons £1000

3 wedges £360

Putter £300

Drivers are becoming expensive due to the carbon, taylormade charging £230 for the gapr, callaway, ping and taylormade charging over £1000 for hollow irons, some wedges like ping glide forged and new vokey are over £150, scotty’s have always been expensive but now Taylormade are charging £300 for a putter...

When one company increases prices they all follow, Cleveland rtx 3 were £89 when I bought them new, rtx 4 suddenly jump about 50% to £130 in one generation!!

Being in my 20’s I’m getting more and more financial responsibilities so I’m feeling the price increases, it hasn’t stopped my playing the game but it has made me move from considering new £1000 cf19’s to £220 cf16’s on eBay

I understand inflation and most of us live in capitalist countries and if you don’t want to pay that much you don’t have to buy but I can’t help but feel these prices will discourage millions of potential young players from getting into the game, yesterday i told my cousin one club can be £500 these days, he almost fell off his chair shouting back ‘for one club!?!?!’

I think the average age of golfers is about 50 and the clubs are obviously selling well to certain demographics but eventually these prices will force many to take up another sport

Thoughts?

Comments

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,286 ✭✭

This year prices seem to be going crazy, if you go with a top manufacturers a full set of new gear will cost you nearly £3000

Driver £500

Wood £270

Irons £1000

3 wedges £360

Putter £300

Drivers are becoming expensive due to the carbon, taylormade charging £230 for the gapr, callaway, ping and taylormade charging over £1000 for hollow irons, some wedges like ping glide forged and new vokey are over £150, scotty's have always been expensive but now Taylormade are charging £300 for a putter...

When one company increases prices they all follow, Cleveland rtx 3 were £89 when I bought them new, rtx 4 suddenly jump about 50% to £130 in one generation!!

Being in my 20's I'm getting more and more financial responsibilities so I'm feeling the price increases, it hasn't stopped my playing the game but it has made me move from considering new £1000 cf19's to £220 cf16's on eBay

I understand inflation and most of us live in capitalist countries and if you don't want to pay that much you don't have to buy but I can't help but feel these prices will discourage millions of potential young players from getting into the game, yesterday i told my cousin one club can be £500 these days, he almost fell off his chair shouting back 'for one club!?!?!'

I think the average age of golfers is about 50 and the clubs are obviously selling well to certain demographics but eventually these prices will force many to take up another sport

Thoughts?

This is one big reason that you shouldn't change clubs as often as you change underwear. The benefits of this years club over last years club are negligible, so why would any of us consider spending the money for it? And sure, that's huge money for a beginner to spend, but he could get previously owned clubs for a fraction of that price. I can't say I love the way the club prices are going, I just bought a new driver. But if I keep it as long as the previous one (Titleist 910), the per year cost really isn't that crazy.
  • Double GeeDouble Gee Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭
    Nothing to do with carbon. To do with making as much money from a smaller amount of ' affluent ' golfers.

PXG created new level of pricings that other companies thought we can do that.

It certainly is nothing to do with performance or alleged R & D costs.

I stopped buying new premium 5 or 6 years ago , buying more budget clubs that still match performance or second hand stuff.

Incredibly, I'm still alive, the world hasn't stopped spinning and my handicap (12.7) has not rocketted upwards.

Those that endorse spending big, have a lot to answer for 😉
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,573 ✭✭
    It's come up many times on this board recently, essentially we mostly feel:

1) the price of clubs now is actually less than what they were 20-25 years ago relatively speaking

2) not every company is doing this. Cobra for example has kept prices relatively consistent while actually offering more stock shafts on some models

3) secondary market there is still a lot available

If you aren't a homer for a certain brand, you can find good deals
    Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20H w/Diamana D+ 90
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • mukstermukster The secret IS in the dirt North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,539 ✭✭
    Last year's models and lightly used ("minty") equipment is still quite affordable. It's just when you want to buy something and then change shafts, etc. afterwards that makes buying brand new attractive, if the company offers free upgrades.

The sticker shock is real, especially if it looks high and then you realize you are looking at US$ prices and you haven't made the conversion to Canuck bux yet..........
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood, Tensei Blue shaft
    Nickent 3D 3 hybrid, generic shaft
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,218 ✭✭
    I'm with the OP. I have way more equipment than a person needs - for 10 lifetimes really - but I still think the jump pricing in 2 single back to back seasons is crazy

Single irons $275 .... WOW

Picked up a "set" of clubs thru Cally pre-owned ... CF16 6 and 7 and CF16 combo pro 8 and 9 for dirt cheap

I get what Poutine Boy is saying, that relatively the equipment pricing is well in line over the last 30 years, but still
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway x2hot 14.5* 3 Deep Oban Gold 65s
    Callaway x2hot 18.5* 5 Deep Oban Purple 55x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprint 6i DG xp115 x100
    Ping Blueprint 7-PW DG s400 orange dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • KMo23KMo23 Members Posts: 144 ✭✭
    Disagree with those alarmed at prices- I had a Mizuno Pro 300s with Fuji Soeeder Shaft a long time ago and that was the first Uber expensive driver I had (just shy of $1k combo). The Biggest Big Bertha was $500 in the 90’s and if you paired that with an AJ Tech, Harrison, or Penley it was way more.

R7 425 TP was $750 as was the R7 Superquad TP

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,218 ✭✭
    KMo23 wrote:

Disagree with those alarmed at prices- I had a Mizuno Pro 300s with Fuji Soeeder Shaft a long time ago and that was the first Uber expensive driver I had (just shy of $1k combo). The Biggest Big Bertha was $500 in the 90's and if you paired that with an AJ Tech, Harrison, or Penley it was way more.

We all know that and I agree. I can remember a TiSi tec fairway with AJ Tech coming in at $720 ... but

Iron sets new here have basically gone from $1,000 to $1800 in 18 months. I can still remember paying $700 for Titleist tour model blades in 1985

And the poor OP is in Europe where they just get raped on golf equipment pricing
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway x2hot 14.5* 3 Deep Oban Gold 65s
    Callaway x2hot 18.5* 5 Deep Oban Purple 55x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprint 6i DG xp115 x100
    Ping Blueprint 7-PW DG s400 orange dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Cornwall1888Cornwall1888 Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
    I don’t change equipment that often, generally every 4-5 years, maybe 2 year for wedges

I know there has always been expensive equipment like special £500 drivers years ago, but know it’s becoming the norm

The prices are increasing faster than inflation, I remember in 2012/2013 my r11s was £300 and ping g25 irons were £529, now the equivalent would is £450 and £850
  • Double GeeDouble Gee Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭
    KMo23 wrote:

Disagree with those alarmed at prices- I had a Mizuno Pro 300s with Fuji Soeeder Shaft a long time ago and that was the first Uber expensive driver I had (just shy of $1k combo). The Biggest Big Bertha was $500 in the 90’s and if you paired that with an AJ Tech, Harrison, or Penley it was way more.

I'm 64 years old, been playing since I was 18.... so that's 46 years.

At no time in my early years did I ever think golf clubs were too expensive. This was before eBay and massive marketing and sponsorship.

The average golfer used cheaper sets from the Pro shop or hand me downs from relatives.

When a new club arrived like the Big Bertha or Quad 7 you looked and wished ' one day'.

The pressure to buy now is immense. Continuous stats and data thrown in your face, ears , everywhere.

The statement of clubs being more expensive years ago maybe true but there was no pressure to have the best, be seen with the latest
  • CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members Posts: 934 ✭✭
    Prices will increase until the market demands that they can't. Same thing happens with the watch industry, a few too many brands trying to play catch the leader get caught with their hands in the honey pot. Granted, prices will likely never go back down, I think at some point they will level off.

Let other people pay retail.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,573 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

I'm with the OP. I have way more equipment than a person needs - for 10 lifetimes really - but I still think the jump pricing in 2 single back to back seasons is crazy

Picked up a "set" of clubs thru Cally pre-owned ... CF16 6 and 7 and CF16 combo pro 8 and 9 for dirt cheap

I get what Poutine Boy is saying, that relatively the equipment pricing is well in line over the last 30 years, but still

I don't even like poutine!!!
    Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20H w/Diamana D+ 90
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 3,459 ✭✭
    edited Jan 31, 2019 5:15pm #13
    I know I saw some new stuff the other day marked:

$500 - Driver

$300 - Fairway

$300 - Hybrid

$250 - Driving Iron

The $50 to $100 bump in driver prices doesn't seem nearly as offensive as the $300 hybrid or the $250 iron. Those are shocking. In truth though, the fairways, hybrids and irons are only catching up to the inflated driver prices. It was always going to happen. But yeah, it all feels like a cash grab.

It just feels like there's a ton of money being poured into adverting that stuff. Still, I just picked up my M3 for under $200, haha. Can't be mad about that! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5) w. Tensei Pro Orange
    Fairway: Titleist 915 F (18) w. Diamana Blueboard
    Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics E8 (19)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select
  • bigmoneypbigmoneyp MichiganMembers Posts: 3,318 ✭✭
    I'm fine with it. When new stuff comes out the "old stuff" gets majorly discounted and even in excellent condition can be had for 30% of what it was.
  • ezpzezpz Members Posts: 469 ✭✭
    Obviously cheaper would be better, but I don't mind it too much because I rarely buy clubs anyway.
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,659 ✭✭
    Poutine boy. Love it.

Don’t love the price increases.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,897 ✭✭

Driver £500

Wood £270

Irons £1000

3 wedges £360

Putter £300

Drivers are becoming expensive due to the carbon, taylormade charging £230 for the gapr, callaway, ping and taylormade charging over £1000 for hollow irons, some wedges like ping glide forged and new vokey are over £150, scotty's have always been expensive but now Taylormade are charging £300 for a putter...

Being in my 20's I'm getting more and more financial responsibilities so I'm feeling the price increases, it hasn't stopped my playing the game but it has made me move from considering new £1000 cf19's to £220 cf16's on eBay

I understand inflation and most of us live in capitalist countries and if you don't want to pay that much you don't have to buy but I can't help but feel these prices will discourage millions of potential young players from getting into the game, yesterday i told my cousin one club can be £500 these days, he almost fell off his chair shouting back 'for one club!?!?!'

Thoughts?

What were the prices last year ? About 2700 pounds ? image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Silver (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,525 ClubWRX
    I guess they are going to increase them anyways, whether it bites them in the a** later on or not. I may buy new this year?
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • YrrdeadYrrdead Better Living Through Chemistry Members Posts: 1,625 ✭✭
    I mean I'm 37 but I feel like prices have been pretty flat if not down since I started playing and buying equipment. Sure there had been a rise in premium pricing but a little googling can show you some crazy things.

Callaway erc ii in year 2000....msrp $625

That's almost $1000 now.
    G400 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
    Steelhead 15*
    Apex 21* Hybrid
    Apex Pro('14)4-P
    Exo #7

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭
    Nope
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • InterpolInterpol POWWWWWW Members Posts: 1,023 ✭✭
    edited Jan 31, 2019 11:45pm #21
    Not alarmed at all. This is capitalism at its finest.

Nobody is forcing you to buy the latest and greatest new equipment on day one. There's a very healthy used/secondhand market for golf equipment out there.
    Cobra King F9, Atmos TS 7X
    Ping G 3W
    Ping G30 3H
    TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52, 56
    Nike X3X 60
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5
  • mdgboxxmdgboxx Put lipstick on a pig - - - it's still a pig Members Posts: 5,233 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

cardoustie wrote:

I don't even like poutine!!!

I'll make a detour to have a "La Belle Province" smoked meat submarine...Not a poutine man either. You're not alone, we're out there.
    DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
    3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
    5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
    IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2,
    Red Dot
    PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
    WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts

BALL: Srixon XV
    CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
    BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
    BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)
  • soregongolfersoregongolfer Members Posts: 1,331 ✭✭
    I am. It wasn't that long ago when drivers were $299, woods were $249, iron sets were $699 and wedges were $99 or $119. Prices of new clubs blow me away.
  • MoxleyMoxley Members Posts: 47 ✭✭
    As dave has said, the yoy improvements are negligible, so either buy something older, or change less frequently, it won't noticeably hurt your game
  • YrrdeadYrrdead Better Living Through Chemistry Members Posts: 1,625 ✭✭

I am. It wasn't that long ago when drivers were $299, woods were $249, iron sets were $699 and wedges were $99 or $119. Prices of new clubs blow me away.

I just feel like these types of statements are deliberately misleading. It doesn't take a lot of searching to find that golf club prices have been flat or negative once adjusted for inflation.

Some quick googling on just a few Callaway releases over the past 10+ years;

GBB - 2015 - $500

BBA - 2014 - $625

RFE - 2013 - $500

RF - 2012 - $500

FT Tour -2010 - $625

FTiq - 2008 - $625

Some random iron sets;

XHot Pro - 2012 - $1000

Diablo Forged - 2010 - $1250

Big Bertha - 2008 - $740

Big Bertha - 2006 - $960

Big Bertha Fusion - 2006 - $1280

And those numbers aren't adjusted. So new drivers being $500-600 doesn't seem alarming.
    G400 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
    Steelhead 15*
    Apex 21* Hybrid
    Apex Pro('14)4-P
    Exo #7

• aweldayawelday FlatShtick Members Posts: 36 ✭✭
    You’re probably suffering from the Brexit effect ... and it’s probably going to get worse unless you convert your golf equipment budget from pounds to dollars today.
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,970 ✭✭
    I was more alarmed by the recent polar vortex.
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 12:46pm #28
    EVERYTHING and I mean everything is going up in America. It’s all about corporations wanting unrealistic profits so their shareholders can have gains.

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,328 ✭✭
    Higher costs of labor, higher cost for materials, higher cost to transport materials, more marketing and r&d money being spent so prices are going to go up to cover the costs and provide a profit
  • Togatown22Togatown22 Saratoga Springs, NYMembers Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

KMo23 wrote:

Disagree with those alarmed at prices- I had a Mizuno Pro 300s with Fuji Soeeder Shaft a long time ago and that was the first Uber expensive driver I had (just shy of $1k combo). The Biggest Big Bertha was $500 in the 90's and if you paired that with an AJ Tech, Harrison, or Penley it was way more.

We all know that and I agree. I can remember a TiSi tec fairway with AJ Tech coming in at $720 ... but

Iron sets new here have basically gone from $1,000 to $1800 in 18 months. I can still remember paying $700 for Titleist tour model blades in 1985

And the poor OP is in Europe where they just get raped on golf equipment pricing

If you grab an inflation calculator on google you'll see that $700 in 1985 equates to about $1,640 in today's dollars. Using your numbers, there really hasn't been a big price jump in equipment.
    Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design AD-IZ 6S
    Rogue 15  fairway stock PX Even Flow Blue S
    Rogue 21 4 hybrid stock Synergy S
    718 AP3 4,5 DG AWT Black S
    718 AP2 6-Gap DG AWT Black S
    SM7 54.10M, 58.04L DG TI Onyx S400
    Futura 5.5W
  • InterpolInterpol POWWWWWW Members Posts: 1,023 ✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 4:19pm #31
    BB28403 wrote:

EVERYTHING and I mean everything is going up in America. It’s all about corporations wanting unrealistic profits so their shareholders can have gains.

Not unrealistic at all. Even at higher prices, consumers are still buying, so what’s the problem? The market will bear out when the line has been crossed. Sorry if you feel squeezed out. If you must blame someone, then blame the people who are willing to buy at these prices that you consider unreasonable. Obviously demand still exists.
    Cobra King F9, Atmos TS 7X
    Ping G 3W
    Ping G30 3H
    TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52, 56
    Nike X3X 60
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5