Carte Blanche anywhere in world - where's the best bang for buck golf location?

shadymgshadymg Members Posts: 167 ✭✭
I go twice a year to China for work, and travel quite a bit domestically, so I have a few frequent flyer miles i'm looking to use on vacations with my gf. She doesn't love golf, but she's very good and will play with me when we travel as long as we do some other tourist stuff while we're there. Not just looking for cheap golf, but gorgeous view/golf courses that are very affordable.

Which leads me to thinking, what locations have the best bang for your buck golf courses. I figured it would be 3rd world countries, but wanted to know if i'm missing out. I thought i remembered reading somewhere that many courses in Scotland were nice and cheap? What about Central/south america given i'm on the west coast of US?

Just from my expereinces, here's where i've been thus far and my impressions:
  • Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh) - Very nice courses, very affordable
  • Philippines (Borocay/Clark Air Force Base) - nice course conditions, decent price (around $75/round not including caddie)
  • China (Mission Hills) - stupid expensive
  • EDIT: Forgot about Australia: Melbourne & Queensland, both very affordable for stunning courses. No caddie required which was nice and saves $$$. Only issue is weather was quite unpredictable.

Ideally the location would be on a good route that I could get to without having to spend a ton of miles.

All suggestions/ideas welcomed!

EDIT: This would be a short trip/vacation, think 1 week max. Gf would kill me if i tried to play golf more than 4 out of 7 days.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members Posts: 2,102 ✭✭
    I have no hope of ever doing this myself but I’m following this thread because I’m sure there will be lots of places suggested of which I have never heard.
  • rcb1586rcb1586 Members Posts: 378 ✭✭
    I've always wanted to visit Thailand. Some of my friends have been and said it is very affordable in general. I'm not sure about the golf though.
    TM M3 460, Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    TM M3 3HL, Fujikura Pro Tour spec 73X
    TM P790 3, DGS300
    Mizuno MPH5 4-6, DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MP15 7-PW, DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MPT5 50.07, 54.12, 62.08, DG Wedge
    Mizuno Bettinardi C-03H 34"
  • shadymgshadymg Members Posts: 167 ✭✭
    rcb1586 wrote:

I've always wanted to visit Thailand. Some of my friends have been and said it is very affordable in general. I'm not sure about the golf though.

I definitely have thought of Thailand. Someone on another forum mentioned it's not as affordable as you would think. I guess they jack prices up since mostly for tourists.

Also I should say I've heard south Korea is insane expensive
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,795 ✭✭
    Phuket is great for sure. I used to spend many weekends there play golf when I lived in KL. The golf isn’t all that cheap but everything else is so that makes up for it.
  • robdalkyrobdalky Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Bandon
    Callaway EPIC 9.5 Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    TM SLDR S 17* Fujikura F3 90
    Callaway XR Hot Pro 20* Accra Dymatch MT-H 85
    PING i25 4-PW KS Tour 120
    Titlest SM6 50F-54S-58K, X100
    Odyssey O-Works #7S
    Titleist ProV1
  • Zac1321Zac1321 Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
    in august i was in australia for work and made a 3 day stop on the tail end of it down to Barnbougle on tasmania. Very very affordable. Considering the course conditions and location it seemed like an absolute steal. i loved every second of it. i know weather can be unpredictable down there but its an easy flight (but long) from the west coast to melbourne and a quick hop from there down to tasmania
    Zac1321 wrote:

in august i was in australia for work and made a 3 day stop on the tail end of it down to Barnbougle on tasmania. Very very affordable. Considering the course conditions and location it seemed like an absolute steal. i loved every second of it. i know weather can be unpredictable down there but its an easy flight (but long) from the west coast to melbourne and a quick hop from there down to tasmania

Can't believe I forgot about this!! I agree!! I've actually been to Australia and agree with everything you said. Even got to lose a ball to an all too close male kangaroo lol. I'll definitely go back there
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,017 ✭✭
    I'd say find a place in Scotland. You can join a world top 100 course for less than $500 a year.
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 531 ✭✭
    If you stay away from the Open rota and big name courses then Scotland and Ireland have a LOT of courses that fit the bill. Often the courses/clubs are a couple of hundred years old.

In and around St Andrews as an example there are places like Crail and Elie.

Since most of the courses in Scotland and Ireland are on the ocean the views are generally pretty good. Be prepared for the weather though.
  • DancinDancin Members Posts: 258 ✭✭
    I think links golf is the best so I'm a little biased but even without that, Scotland and Ireland is definitely it. Joining one of the clubs as an overseas member is ridiculously cheap and usually gets you reciprocal discounts and free golf at other clubs too. You'll play courses with features you won't see anywhere else in the world because nobody would build some of those courses that way today.

People I know have done Ireland golf trips including the flight cost for cheaper than what a trip to Bandon costs and that's without having an overseas membership.
    jvincent wrote:

If you stay away from the Open rota and big name courses then Scotland and Ireland have a LOT of courses that fit the bill. Often the courses/clubs are a couple of hundred years old.

Since most of the courses in Scotland and Ireland are on the ocean the views are generally pretty good. Be prepared for the weather though.

So i did hear correct! Do you have a ballpark around how much is a round of golf average? Caddie required?
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭
    Do Hawaii and New Zealand
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 531 ✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 12:43pm #14
    shadymg wrote:

jvincent wrote:

So i did hear correct! Do you have a ballpark around how much is a round of golf average? Caddie required?

We didn't play any courses in Scotland where a caddie was required. Most (all ?) will have push carts (or trolleys as they refer to them) for rent.

Costs will vary by season. We went in the shoulder season so the less famous courses were in the 75 pound range.
    cardoustie wrote:

Do Hawaii and New Zealand

Hawaii was a good call, especially as i live in California. I've been to Kona (Big Island) once and the deal sites had pretty good deals on some pretty nice courses.

New Zealand would be interesting...i thought my mate down there told me it was more expensive than Australia, but maybe he was talking about a particular old famous course?
    Anyone have any experience with Latin/South America? Especially thinking of places like Brazil or Argentina where the dollar goes so far. I think I recall Mexico and Costa Rica being somewhat expensive because they're always near/for resorts and tourists...
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,536 ✭✭
    IME Golf is very expensive in places that are otherwise cheap to live (Southeast Asia, Latin America, etc). It’s mostly isolated in very high end resorts that want huge greens fees. Conversely, there are some places with very cheap golf, but relatively higher living costs (Scotland). My guess is that a place like Myrtle Beach or the RTJ Trail, or maybe someplace in Central Europe or the Balkans optimize on these two axes.
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,752 ✭✭
    Anywhere Links courses are affordable. (True Links) (Ireland, Coast of England.) Then Kenya to Southern Africa
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,599 ✭✭
    North Dakota. Not big names there by any means but some of the best golf you can play; Hawktree, Links of ND, Bully Pulpit, King’s Walk. All fantastic 18 hole clubs, plus every little municipality has (and takes extreme pride in) their 9 hole club. Larimore ND has a fantastic 9 hole course that has some extreme elevation changes as it goes in and out of the valley.
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,717 ✭✭
    Probably not Central America. Not a lot of golf other than Mexico. What else is out there is mostly private.
  • OufcfanOufcfan Banbury, Oxfordshire , EnglandMembers Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Portugal, Turkey & Bulgaria .

Never been myself but have heard great things from friends who’ve been.

Just hope I get a chance to try them soon too!
  • gentlesgentles Members Posts: 1,867 ✭✭
    Pick a place in Scotland and join a course. For example, an out of town membership at Brora is ~$500 or so, and with it you get passes to play all the other courses in the region for cheap too, including dornoch at certain times. Ever since we went last summer I’ve been trying to figure it out!
    Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
    Taylormade 2016 M2 DF 3hl Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Callaway Apex 20* Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Taylormade RSI UDI 4i DG AMT x100
    Taylormade P770 5-P DG AMT x100
    Ping Glide 51,55, 59 DG S400
    Ping Anser Milled 5

On the bench/testing: G400 LST, Callaway 3deep, Cobra LTD 3-4, Callaway Apex 23*, UDI 2 and 3 irons, Ping Glide 53, PM Grind 64
    gentles wrote:

Pick a place in Scotland and join a course. For example, an out of town membership at Brora is ~$500 or so, and with it you get passes to play all the other courses in the region for cheap too, including dornoch at certain times. Ever since we went last summer I've been trying to figure it out!

help me understand. if you have to pay $500 for a membership and then only be there for a week, wouldn't that be pretty expensive? or you saying makes sense if you're going for several months?
  • MalvernMalvern Members Posts: 428 ✭✭
    From the west coast unfortunately South Africa is probably the bridge too far but it ticks every other box.

New Zealand has some of the best value golf and high end if you want that as well.

Queenstown is a cracking place, plenty of other things to do. Google Jacks Point and then book your ticket
  • DancinDancin Members Posts: 258 ✭✭
    shadymg wrote:

gentles wrote:

Pick a place in Scotland and join a course. For example, an out of town membership at Brora is ~$500 or so, and with it you get passes to play all the other courses in the region for cheap too, including dornoch at certain times. Ever since we went last summer I've been trying to figure it out!

help me understand. if you have to pay $500 for a membership and then only be there for a week, wouldn't that be pretty expensive? or you saying makes sense if you're going for several months?

Most courses in the summer season are going to run $100 and up a round and having a membership at one of them almost always includes highly discounted rounds at other courses. So as long as you make a trip once a year and play your course a couple times, you're probably getting your money's worth. Also non member play is often limited to certain days of the week; whereas, having a membership lets you play any day. Again the reciprocal agreements may get you on other courses on days the general public can't play too.
  • blakej824blakej824 Members Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Portugal should be the choice based on your stipulations. Amazing golf, dirt cheap for Americans to visit the country, great vibe of the people and environment. They literally just drink and eat all day and night. There are numerous hotel based courses that offer stay and play packages around 700 euros for 5 nights and unlimited golf. PM if you'd like details, I've visited the country 5 times now.
  • gentlesgentles Members Posts: 1,867 ✭✭
    shadymg wrote:

gentles wrote:

Depends how long you're planning on going for. I read your OP that you were looking for a slightly longer term (>1 month) stay in a single place. For a shorter term dash you're better off just going to pay Green fees.
    Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
    Taylormade 2016 M2 DF 3hl Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Callaway Apex 20* Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Taylormade RSI UDI 4i DG AMT x100
    Taylormade P770 5-P DG AMT x100
    Ping Glide 51,55, 59 DG S400
    Ping Anser Milled 5

On the bench/testing: G400 LST, Callaway 3deep, Cobra LTD 3-4, Callaway Apex 23*, UDI 2 and 3 irons, Ping Glide 53, PM Grind 64
  • TigerTomTigerTom Members Posts: 14
    I have played in some of the destinations you are looking at. From Australia to Costa Rica and Brazil and from Spain to Dubai with stops in Ireland and Scotland.

If your trip was pure golf Ireland/Scotland would be a no brainer but in order to keep your girlfriend happy I would go elsewhere.

Based on your criteria I would say Mauricias, maybe Dubai, southern Spain or Belek but would have to agree that Portugal is the best call. Great weather, pristine beaches, the food (especially the fish and seafood) and wine is unbeatable.

And you’ll play some brilliant courses like: Palmares, Vale do Lobo, Monte Rei, San Lorenzo in the Algarve or West Cliffs, Praia del Rei and Royal Obidos in Peniche. Around Lisbon you have Oitavos Dunes, Penha Longa or Troia.
  • chano14chano14 Members Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited Feb 5, 2019 9:18am #29
    In Argentina golf is very affordable, but is a rare case in latin america.

In Buenos Aires, you can play PILARA GOLF CLUB a Nicklaus Signature Course, home of 2018 Argentina Open (PGA Latam Tour) for less than 20USD on weekdays. It s crazy cheap

Buenos Aires has too many public golf courses (+80 within one hour of the city centre). The offer is so big, that public courses like PILARA, cannot charge you 200USD because it would be empty. There are just 5-6 clubs that are completely private that you cannot play even on weekdays.

I ve played more than 25 courses around the world (Trump Doral, TPC Sawgrass, Le Golf National, PGA National, The European Club, Carton House, Olympic Course in Rio) I can tell you in Buenos Aires you can find 7-8 courses in superb shape and with interesting designs (old school english courses, nicklaus-style modern courses) that will definetely worth the money.

In Patagonia, in the lakes area, you have 3 Courses: "Chapelco Golf" (nicklaus, PGA Latam), "El Desafio" (Greg Norman, finishing back 9, absolutely spectacular) and "Arelauquen" that are 3 solid courses, in great shape and located in beautifull valleys in the mountains and you will not pay more than 30-40usd a round

There are some other great courses in Argentina and I don´t think you will pay more than 40-50usd in any of them. But again Argentina is a rare exception.

(also great wine, meat, nightlife, natural monuments to see)
  • Luke.SuttonLuke.Sutton ClubWRX Posts: 120 ClubWRX
    I’ve read caddies are $2/day in Nepal. I’ve been really wanting to visit Himalayan Golf Course.
  • MalvernMalvern Members Posts: 428 ✭✭

I've read caddies are $2/day in Nepal. I've been really wanting to visit Himalayan Golf Course.

Seems like a place Matt Kuchar might enjoy