Apex Pro 19 vs Apex Pro 16 - Is The Juice Worth The Squeeze

jimb

I am near to pulling the trigger on the new Apex Pro 19, but I can get a nice set of Apex Pro 16 for half the price. Currently I'm playing the 2013 X-Forged, but never hit the Apex Pro 16 irons. I am so sick of making dumb moves with golf clubs I thought I'd ask for feedback. Has anyone hit both of those and is there an appreciable difference?

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm currently playing the 16 Apex Pros and am considering moving to the 19's because of their thinner top line and sole. I'm not a fan of the 16's turf interaction after playing them for 1.5 seasons now. I'm a 5 handicap and have always played Mizuno sets before moving to Callaway. The feel is just not the same (obviously) and they feel sort of dull /masked from true feedback. They play well and give forgiveness when needed. Apparently the 19's have a bigger sweet spot, due to new weighting. The x-forged 13's (I wish I had picked them up) you've currently got feel waaaay better than the 16's (13's were Roger's first set for Callaway - even the new x-forged version just released doesn't compare with the feel of the 13's (everyone is returning them already)). Based on your current set, I'd recommend the 19's, not the 16's. If you want to save a few bucks, the 16's are still solid clubs and your game won't suffer. I just think you'll feel more smooth buttery shots with the 19 Apex Pros. Would love to hear your feedback  

• Like 1

I have the 16s and have held the 19's. I wouldn't say there's a major difference in terms of size. I mean nothing that's gonna be a real impact to your confidence standing over the ball

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• 1 month later...

Never liked the look of the Apex 16s, standard or pro. Feel was none too lively either. Really do like the look of the ‘19 Pro and will try it at some point. The Pro head is the one they improved the most IMO.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

The ‘16 is basically the ‘13 x forged with tungsten weighted long irons. Granted they don’t feel as soft as the x forged but the curves and shapes of the clubs are similar. In the ‘19 you will notice a big difference in the mid to long irons. They have the 360 cup face which is a thin and springy face just like Gi irons. The Umicro spheres dampen the feel to make it appear soft. You’ll have to decide if you want the benefits of that technology in your set.

thecc said:
Hi, I'm currently playing the 16 Apex Pros and am considering moving to the 19's because of their thinner top line and sole. I'm not a fan of the 16's turf interaction after playing them for 1.5 seasons now. I'm a 5 handicap and have always played Mizuno sets before moving to Callaway. The feel is just not the same (obviously) and they feel sort of dull /masked from true feedback. They play well and give forgiveness when needed. Apparently the 19's have a bigger sweet spot, due to new weighting. The x-forged 13's (I wish I had picked them up) you've currently got feel waaaay better than the 16's (13's were Roger's first set for Callaway - even the new x-forged version just released doesn't compare with the feel of the 13's (everyone is returning them already)). Based on your current set, I'd recommend the 19's, not the 16's. If you want to save a few bucks, the 16's are still solid clubs and your game won't suffer. I just think you'll feel more smooth buttery shots with the 19 Apex Pros. Would love to hear your feedback 

Well, I picked up the Apex Pro 19 and couldn't be happier.  Great distance and soft feeling.  For my swing the stock Elevate Pro shafts have been outstanding.  I am about a half club longer with the new irons over the 2013 X-Forged.  I am not sorry I made the move and I am glad I didn't go the combo route because there was no need. 

> @BYK said:

> I know it sounds way too obvious but make sure you swing em first. I’m still in the original apex cause I don’t like any of the more recent apex lines. I’m almost pulled the trigger on some 16s, tried em our first and hated them. Saved a bunch of money lol

I bought the Apex Pro 19 with the Elevate Pro shafts and couldn't be happier. They are just super irons for my game. Relatively forgiving and are controlled rocket launchers. Was at the range with them today for about the 30th time since I bought them and just love to hit them.

The Apex Pro 19 has Face Cup technology so most people see higher ball speeds and more distance with them compared to the Apex Pro 16. The Elevate Tour shafts are designed to hit the ball with a higher flight apex so that the ball comes down at a steeper angle of descent, making it easier to stop the ball on the greens. Other shafts may not do this however. The Apex Pro 19 also has urethane microspheres in the head to give it a softer feel and sound.

• Like 1

The 2019 Apex and Apex Pro are both really great irons. I would be using a set of the pros had I not stumbled on a set of MP18-SC in the classifieds. I've hit the Apex and Apex Pro and the performance is awesome all over the face, especially on the Apex. The surprising thing is that the Apex does not look "big", just bigger than the Pro. I've read a few people gripe about feedback on mishits. I mean... you can certainly tell you missed the sweetspot on the Pros. Without a doubt. But the ball still goes, and the feel is just better than expected. Probably the best iron's I've hit recently, with great looks. I'd shell out for the '19s over the '16s for sure. Looks, feel, and performance all increased.

• Like 1