Matthew Wolff

thirlthirl Members Posts: 27 ✭✭
Keep an eye out for this kid. He's just 19 years old and a sophomore at Oklahoma State. Won his first three college events of the season and just shot 67 today at Waste Management. His swing is unbelievable to watch and he absolutely murders the golf ball.

Hear's a good article about him: https://www.golfchannel.com/news/matthew-wolff-67-powers-through-nerves-first-pga-tour-round

And a golf channel segment as well: https://www.golfchannel.com/video/matthew-wolff-taking-golf-world-storm

His swing coach, George Gankas has a very interesting way of teaching and I like a lot of what he teaches. Check him out as well.

Comments

• lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,368 ✭✭
    Jim Furyk on steroids.Power for days. Love the drop into the slot

• ksuWildcatksuWildcat Members Posts: 59 ✭✭
    thirl wrote:

Keep an eye out for this kid. He's just 19 years old and a sophomore at Oklahoma State. Won his first three college events of the season and just shot 67 today at Waste Management. His swing is unbelievable to watch and he absolutely murders the golf ball.

Hear's a good article about him: https://www.golfchannel.com/news/matthew-wolff-67-powers-through-nerves-first-pga-tour-round

And a golf channel segment as well: https://www.golfchan...olf-world-storm

His swing coach, George Gankas has a very interesting way of teaching and I like a lot of what he teaches. Check him out as well.

I've been following GG for a few years now. I had to do a double take when I heard his name on the tube. Pretty cool. Wolff freakin' smashes it.

His swing "method" may seem unorthodox at first glance, but it's full of proven results and some sharp smarts to back it.
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,422 ✭✭
    That head on shot at full speed makes me a little nervous for his left knee.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,927 ✭✭
    He should stop holding back ; )
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members Posts: 655 ✭✭
    Lotta moving parts, got some Phil and Bubba mixed in there too.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,251 ✭✭
    Steele47 wrote:

That head on shot at full speed makes me a little nervous for his left knee.

Yep. I have had a very violent “posting up” on my left knee like that for 30 years and I am in really bad shape at 50. I can’t even squat down to read a putt anymore.

Alleve before every round and a pretty serious brace or I couldn’t even play anymore.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • DukeOfChinoHillsDukeOfChinoHills Orange County, CAMembers Posts: 322 ✭✭
    My knee and back hurt just watching him swing. I'll root for the kid, but will change the channel when he's being shown.
    "You're still away."
    917D2 - DiamanaD+ 70S
    917F2 - DiamanaD+ 80S
    818H1 - Tensei Blue 80S
    716 AP2 (4-PW) - DG300S
    Vokey 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.12K (All Grips are Winn Dri-Tac Grey)
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mid-Slant 35" w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT Tour

• GolfnutgalenGolfnutgalen Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 1:49am #9
    Brandel Chamblee would like that swing, got the left heal lift which he claims all the best swings have. But seriously, he's up on his toes ala Bobby Jones! I know Bubba does something similar, but I don't think it's quite to that extent. Also has an old school forward press.
  • oz dee ceeoz dee cee Members Posts: 495 ✭✭
    In terms of injury, left knee/leg will be in question but no worse than a lot of players, so really, it’s fake news.
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,340 ✭✭
    He’s got game and anyone who follows GG on Instagram has known about him for awhile.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,028 ✭✭
    Unreal talent and obviously it works but that swing...

Not sure about the coach as well. I followed him on Instagram, listened to a few podcats that he appeared on and he has definitely gotten results but I'm just not sure about the whole thing. In 10 years time, will we talk about his 'method' the same way that people talk about stack and tilt now?
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,655 ✭✭
    But that swing is kind of cool. Really whacks it, Charles Barkley meets Rory.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,652 ✭✭
    I'm a big fan of aesthetically pleasing golf swings but at the same time I appreciate a quirky action.

I really enjoyed seeing this guy in the coverage yesterday. I hope his good play continues.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,548 ✭✭
    Man. That left knee must be made of rubber!

If I practiced that move in the living room, I would have to do one of those “I’ve fallen and can’t get up” routines.
  • ibradleyibradley Members Posts: 361 ✭✭
    I stood behind him on 18 yesterday at the Waste Management and wow does he smash it. Very impressive!
  • bulls9999bulls9999 Members Posts: 727 ✭✭
    Yes, I've seen him here at OSU and I call his stroke a 'whipping' action of some sort. Funny, looking at that video reminds me of the instructional video I watched the other night on YouTube (on the TV panel in front of my treadmill, only way I can run without looking at my time is to keep something on the screen that keeps my attention) and they were doing this stance with a driver where you grip the club, then hold it straight up to the sky in front of you, while holding it there, you make your shoulder turn for your backswing while the club is pointing straight up, and from there you whip it into the downswing and through the ball. Forgot the 2 English dudes (why are most YouTube golf instructional persona English/British?). Well, his swing reminds me of the follow through you have by that training move which I believe was to get you to drop the club into the slot without going over the top.

lowheel wrote:

[media=]
    GHIN Index 13.8
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,390 ✭✭
    lowheel wrote:

Matthew Wolff's swing reminds me of Mickey Wright
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,564 ClubWRX
    why does his front foot jump back like that? just a reaction to that power?
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • jdljdl Masshole MassMembers Posts: 1,838 ✭✭
    He and Braden Thornberry, certainly have some young guys with unconventional looking swings on the rise.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,251 ✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:

Yes. He’s using the ground and actually almost jumping through impact. Reminds me a lot of JT. For his size JT might be the most powerful swing in golf.

9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
    you guys say Bubba I see Furyk
    TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,256 ✭✭
    First Johnny Miller, then Laura Davies, then Bubba, everyone is seemingly discovering ground forces nowadays
    Ping G410 LST 11.5* Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 13.5* Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 16.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprint 6i DG xp115 x100
    Ping Blueprint 7-PW DG s400 orange dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,587 ✭✭
    c7015 wrote:

I see Miller Barber. But more athletic.
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members Posts: 486 ✭✭
    gvogel wrote:

c7015 wrote:

I see Miller Barber. But more athletic.

I was about to say Miller barber, just a **** of a lot faster

Taylormade M6 10.5* (down to 9.5)
    Taylormade M6 Rocket 14
    3 wood
    Taylormade M6 18* 5 wood
    Taylormade P790 black 4 iron
    Taylormade R9 TP "B" stamp 5 - PW
    Taylormade MG black 52 & 56
    Taylormade Hi Toe 60
    Scotty Cameron Studio select laguna 1.5 (custom gun blue finish)

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,028 ✭✭
    c7015 wrote:

I see a potential devastating combination of the two!
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 1,027 ✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 11:41am #27
    MattyO1984 wrote:

Unreal talent and obviously it works but that swing...

Not sure about the coach as well. I followed him on Instagram, listened to a few podcats that he appeared on and he has definitely gotten results but I'm just not sure about the whole thing. In 10 years time, will we talk about his 'method' the same way that people talk about stack and tilt now?

FWIW, it's not like Wolff's swing is a manifestation of GG's "method." GG does have some students across the line with that extreme upright backswing but it's not like he's teaching everyone to swing like Matt. Granted, it's fair to say that one of his tenets is to have a backswing with the shoulder in internal rotation as opposed to trying to keep it pinned against you.

Sorry, don't want to turn this into a GG thread but we all know it's inevitable. ;-)
  • Oliver KlozoffOliver Klozoff Members Posts: 220 ✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 1:31pm #28
    Um, he's not new at all. He was an awesome junior player and played #1 at OK St almost all last year, ahead of the US Am winner. Everyone under 25 years old knows of him. Sort of like Karl Vilips and Akshay Bhatia. So many kids able to shoot low 60s it's scary.

His swing coach George Gankas is a surfer type and kinda unusual. Has very interesting videos on youtube. I think he was also working with Adam Scott all of last year.

ETA - sorry. didn't see someone already mentioned GG.
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,368 ✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 1:46pm #29
    gatorMD wrote:

The torque of the hard rotation does that, hes using the ground for leverage.Look at video of bubba watson or old video of greg norman to get the idea of what youre seeing.the foot is clearing to make room for the hips to turn.ground up so to speak. Love that his left heel comes off the ground.it adds so much turn, old school move
  • shadymgshadymg Members Posts: 183 ✭✭
    i can appreciate what the kid can do, my only fear would be for beginners to look at all his wonky motion and then when things aren't going well on the course or range say, "Hey, maybe i'll try it" and then cause more problems than had they just figured out the fundamentals.
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,564 ClubWRX
    GG and Wolff
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1