Your Easiest to hit blades?

StonewalledStonewalled Members Posts: 1,516 ✭✭
edited Feb 1, 2019 11:48pm in Equipment #1
Winter is upon us, cabin fever has not set in just yet. But..... Lots of time to think about last year's iron choices.

Went thru the lot of irons I seem to collect during the course of last year, and my best memories are from shots hit with my MB2's and MP-5's. I'm no low capper so my game with these irons starts at 7-pw, usually combo set something more GI in the longer irons.

Anyway just wanted to hear from the member's on there favourite easiest to hit blades.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭
    I thought the last 2 iterations of Maltby "blades" were very easy to hit. As far as major OEM goes, the Srixon 945/965's were probably the easiest for me all around.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members Posts: 932 ✭✭
    Nike VR TW and Callaway X-Prototype were by far my favorite. I also have no business hitting them, but had to scratch the itch. I would say the X-prototype were the "easier" of the two.
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,370 ✭✭
    My Mizuno MS-11s rank way up there, they've surprised me a few times. They also have a fair amount of bounce, 5* in the 3 iron to 6* in the 9 iron. MP-14s have a very low CG and would be great for those whose contact patterns could benefit from such. I've always thought the Ram Tour Grinds were moderately good in this regard, one reason I've kept using them.

The granddaddy of the blades I've hit might be the old Palmer Standards. Remember toe-hitting a 4 iron one day from 4 iron distance, and was shocked to find my ball past pin high. They're a little sharp on the leading edge, though. LOL
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    2h:  TM Stage 2 Tour, Nv105 stiff -or- 1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,059 ClubWRX
    For me, the Titleist 695 mb have been the easiest... owned them a few times, great sticks.
    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* Tensei orange CK 60
    Taylormade M2 2016 16.5* Matrix Tour Proto v-1
    Titleist 915hd 20.5* Rogue black 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT
    Titleist SM5 50/56/60
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV/Bridgestone BXS
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,272 ✭✭
    Always felt the TM RAC MB was rather easy to get around with. Feels like a blade but has CB hit zone.
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,130 ✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 9:47am #7
    My current set of Apex MB 18's are fairly easy to strike,

Also found my MP 5's, MP4's, MP 68"s, MP37's, MP33's, and MP29's fairly easy strike contenders

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • jaron6jaron6 Members Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Nike Vapor Pro blades image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver - [/font]Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9* w/ Even Flow 75 6.5
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Fairway Wood - [/font]Ping G Stretch 13* w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.3x
    Driving iron - Titleist 712U 3 Iron bent 2* strong w/ Aldila VS Proto 100x
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Irons - [/font]Nike Vapor Pro Blades 4-PW DG AMT S300
    Wedges - Taylormade EF 52* Ping Glide SS 56* Nike Engage Dual Sole 62*
    Putter - Odyssey Works Red 7s
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SCMembers Posts: 3,404 ✭✭
    It may not be the answer you're looking for but to be totally real with you, I wouldn't say any of the blades I've played over the years were any "easier" than the others. It's true that if you go back far enough blades start to shrink in size and get really sharp on the leading edge. That's not good. But virtually anything from Titleist, Mizuno, Nike, etc. that's come out in the last 15 years will all look and play more or less the same to someone just starting.

I've played the TW blades someone mentioned. They were great. I've played the ZM / 695 and current MB models from Titleist. You can't beat 'em. I've played a few options from Mizuno like the MP-37 and the MP-64. Those are great options, too.

You can't go wrong with any of them. They're all about 95% the same if we're perfectly honest. While you might perceive a slightly different feel at impact, the results will be more or less the same.

As a final note I would point out that the one of the most important parts of irons are the soles and the turf interaction that comes from it. While you'll immediately notice whether a club have perimeter weight or not, pay some attention to how rounded the sole is and how much bounce it has. Some blades tend to have flatter soles than others. I prefer a more rounded style such as Mizuno has done. The current Titleist offers have the ground leading edge which I think adds to the effective bounce, too. I have a set of 716 MB irons that are great in that regard.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3 (10.5) w. Tensei Pro Orange
    Fairway: Titleist 915 F (18) w. Diamana Blueboard
    Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics E8 (19)
    Irons: Titleist 716 CB (4-Pw)
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select
  • pearls24pearls24 Members Posts: 1,058 ✭✭
    Srixon 945
    Taylormade 2018 M4 with Project X T1100 (65g)
    Taylormade 2016 M2 (Tour Issue) fairway wood with Project X T1100 (75g)
    Callaway Apex Utility- 20* with Aerotech Steelfiber 125X
    Miura 501 Satin (4-PW) with Steelfiber 115x
    Vokey SM7 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with TT DG Black Onyx S400
    Odyssey O Works Black #2M CS
  • OsnolaKinnardOsnolaKinnard Members Posts: 427 ✭✭
    MacGregor Vfoil 1025m.

Seriously...they are so easy to hit...and gorgeous... and worth it.

I regret selling mine.
    LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,209 ✭✭
    any blade if your swing is good.
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,370 ✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 11:01am #13

MacGregor Vfoil 1025m.

I regret selling mine.

Hmmmm....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MacGregor-Tourney-VIP-V-FOIL-1025m-Cavity-Back-Forged-Iron-Set-2-PW-9-pieces/173503268143?hash=item286599c52f:g:YvoAAOSwiZZbhwpD:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    2h:  TM Stage 2 Tour, Nv105 stiff -or- 1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Members Posts: 1,680 ✭✭
    Titleist 695s and the Mizuno MP5s
    Callaway Rogue 9.0*
    Taylormade 2016 M2 16.5* fairway wood
    Mizuno JPX 900 3 and 4 hybrids
    Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #7
    Cleveland RTX 4 wedges 50*, 54* and 58*
  • ani5009ani5009 High Bridge, NJMembers Posts: 308 ✭✭
    I don't really know if they count as blades or not, but the Ping iBlades are ridiculously easy to hit. They definitely look like a blade, but they act like a GI iron. Not much of a penalty on anything slightly mishit, and anything drastically mishit doesn't kill you. Then again, if you're asking about blades, I'd guess you won't be drastically mishitting it much image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
    TM M2 2017 9.5*
    TM M2 3HL 16.5*
    TM P790 3 iron
    Mizuno MP-59 4-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5
  • BearQBearQ Members Posts: 3,489 ✭✭
    Srixon Z9 series.
    Cobra LTD Pro 9.5* - Matrix Type C 70X
    TM M2 Tour 15* - Matrix Black Tie 80M4-X
    Bridgestone XD-H 18* - Speeder TS 9.8X 
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*)  Nike VR Forged (56DS)  Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

• Shawn PaulShawn Paul The love you take is equal to the love you make Members Posts: 703 ✭✭
    I really liked the MP-33's (still play em once in a while) and the MP-5's. I can never hit a Titleist iron it's my kryptonite, no idea why. I also really really really like the Bridgestone J15MB but I don't know if those are really considered blades.
    Mizuno JPX900F on KBS Tour120S
    Cobra F8+ w/ HZRDS XS
    Cobra Fly-Z 3W
    Cobra Fly Z HB 3-4
    Bettinardi Studio Stock II
    Bettinardi 52/56/60 UnRusted but Trusted
  • Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Posts: 3,534 ClubWRX
    Callaway Apex MB's and Mizuno MP18's are both very player-friendly for being blades.

Love my VR Pro's but they're pretty demanding. Mainly because they want to shape the ball, it's not easy to hit a dead straight boring ball flight with them.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,264 ✭✭
    I dont see how anyone could go wrong with MB2's

I dont find my FG62 hard to hit but they are on the smaller side so my not work for everyone.
    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • pcedenspcedens Members Posts: 77 ✭✭

Winter is upon us, cabin fever has not set in just yet. But..... Lots of time to think about last year's iron choices.

Went thru the lot of irons I seem to collect during the course of last year, and my best memories are from shots hit with my MB2's and MP-5's. I'm no low capper so my game with these irons starts at 7-pw, usually combo set something more GI in the longer irons.

Anyway just wanted to hear from the member's on there favourite easiest to hit blades.

Anything Ping
  • swing thoughtsswing thoughts Members Posts: 261 ✭✭
    jaron6 wrote:

Nike Vapor Pro blades image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />

Wow. I;ve had 3 sets and they are the most unforgiving, finicky clubs I've ever hit, but they're pure magic when struck well. But that's just me.
    Ping G SL Tec 9* XS
    Callaway XR 15* R

Cobra Bio Cell Fairway 18.5 S
    Titleist 816 H1 21* S
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-9 S <or> Mizuno MP 69 4-9

Vokey SM6[background=transparent] 48* 10 S[/background]
    [background=transparent]Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 52* 10 S[/background]
    Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 58* ATV S

Odyssey Versa #7 35"
    Taylormade Daddy Long Legs 38"
    [background=transparent]Scotty Futura X5 38"[/background]
    [background=transparent]Callaway Bobby Jones blade 35"[/background]
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 12,047 ✭✭
    i have some easy to hit sets in the basement

PING s55, Bridgestone j15 mb's, Callway x-proto's
    Ping G400 LST 11* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* GD AD BB 6s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • GreenstealthGreenstealth Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Mp5 but I've hit a limited amount of blades.. So take my opinion for what it is worth.
  • 20six20six Members Posts: 569 ✭✭
    If by easiest to hit you mean most "forgiving," I would have to say those with tungsten plugs in the sole, such as the Cobra Fly Z Pro and the current MBs. To me, the Callaway MBs are the most demanding of the current MBs. If you are referring to true "blades," I don't associate the word "easy" with any of those beasts (of course, my handicap is not <4.)
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,126 ✭✭
    Yonex N1-MBs
    Cobra F9 Tour Length
    2016 TM M1 T3 12.5°
    TEE CBX 119 16° hybrid
    Cobra F9 4 Iron Ricke Special
    Miura CB57 5-PW
    Vokey SM4 52°/ Cleveland RTX 2.0 Raw 56°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    Odyssey Armlock
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green MichiganMembers Posts: 4,410 ✭✭
    "Easiest to hit" is entirely subjective in threads like this. WTS, I'll add my suggestion. The irons that proved to me that I could effectively play MB blades. Periodically, when the swing is decent. That blades are not as difficult to play as they're made out to be. That they contain a certain "purity of essence". Then again, I'm not trying to hit a MB from 190 yards out. I know my limitations. With the right shaft, from appropriate distances, have not found anything quite like them.

'99 Hogan Apex MB's.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • Josh L.Josh L. Members Posts: 396 ✭✭
    I've been using MP4's for the last few years, played Titleist 712mb's prior. Neither has really been any easier to hit than the other and both are very penalizing on the big misses.
  • StonewalledStonewalled Members Posts: 1,516 ✭✭
    Kingcat990 wrote:

I thought the last 2 iterations of Maltby "blades" were very easy to hit. As far as major OEM goes, the Srixon 945/965's were probably the easiest for me all around.
    I will have to look into the Maltby "blades" iv's seen some of there CB's but not the blades. Thx for the info. The 945/965's are pretty sweet irons, had the 945's, and now have the 965's. The x-100's in the 965's were perfect last year for me, but I couldn't seem to hit them year for some reason. Getting old King cat.
    CAT GOLFER wrote:

Nike VR TW and Callaway X-Prototype were by far my favorite. I also have no business hitting them, but had to scratch the itch. I would say the X-prototype were the "easier" of the two.
    Those TW v's look pretty sweet Cat. I have a set of the X-protos, i had some muscle backs and foolishly sold those. Got the X-protos to replace them but I have rarely hit them. Will give them a go again in the spring. Soft and pretty.
  • oldhamer25oldhamer25 Members Posts: 1,385 ✭✭
    I second the others who have said Srixon 965's. I have played them the last few years and love them. Played AP2's for a lot of years.
    917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
    SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
    SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
    Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
    Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
    Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

MacGregor Vfoil 1025m.

I regret selling mine.
    Lots of nice reviews on those. Well designed. These the Roy Mcavoy Tin cup model's?