Best Driver in the last 5 years?

Comments

• swing thoughtsswing thoughts Members Posts: 259 ✭✭

The G400 Max is the best fairway finder I think I've ever hit. Been in play for 8 rounds and I've missed 3 fairway's with it and those were just horrible swings or trying to reach places I shouldn't try to reach in winter weather.

So 8 rounds is like 100 driver shots... you're hitting >95% fairways???
    Ping G SL Tec 9* XS
    Callaway XR 15* R

Cobra Bio Cell Fairway 18.5 S
    Titleist 816 H1 21* S
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-9 S <or> Mizuno MP 69 4-9

Vokey SM6[background=transparent] 48* 10 S[/background]
    [background=transparent]Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 52* 10 S[/background]
    Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 58* ATV S

Odyssey Versa #7 35"
    Taylormade Daddy Long Legs 38"
    [background=transparent]Scotty Futura X5 38"[/background]
    [background=transparent]Callaway Bobby Jones blade 35"[/background]
  • buckeyewaltbuckeyewalt Members Posts: 118 ✭✭
    G400 Max and it's not even close.
  • AutomaticTwoDownAutomaticTwoDown Two down after two, time to get to work Members Posts: 431 ✭✭

The G400 Max is the best fairway finder I think I've ever hit. Been in play for 8 rounds and I've missed 3 fairway's with it and those were just horrible swings or trying to reach places I shouldn't try to reach in winter weather.

109/112 fairways is very impressive. Over 97%.
  • 300_Straight300_Straight Members Posts: 954 ✭✭
    Currently testing the Epic SZ & King LTD Pro. They are both very similar in feel and performance I find. I have always had the LTD Pro in my heart since the 1st time I hit it, so there's that. Plus I feel more comfortable over the ball with the shape. Both great drivers though.
    King LTD Pro 7.5 F / Pro Orange 70TX Tipped 3/4" - 44.5"
    Exotics XCG7 Beta 13*
    '94 Callaway Big Bertha 3 - 9 irons
    46* SM7 / 50* (TBD) / 54* Top Flite / 58* (TBD)
    Old Odyssey Mallet
  • mtgjrmtgjr Members Posts: 604 ✭✭

That is truly remarkable. You missed only 3 out of around 100 fairways?!
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Diamana S+ 60 LTD
    TItleist 917F2 16.5* Diamana S+ 70 LTD
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i Modus 120 -OR- TM V Steel 7W 21* NV 75
    Ping i210 4-UW DG 120
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* & 58* SS
    Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
    JStang wrote:

For whatever reason, I just didn't hit my TS3 all that great. I hit my 917D3 farther which was strange. I went back to my tour issue 2016 M2 yesterday at the range and fell in love all over again. The sound/feel off that head with hot melt is perfect. I was hitting it really high but I think that has more to do with my positive angle of attack than anything.

I also have an F9 inbound that I got at a price I couldn't say no to so there will be a nice shootout soon.

Everytime I try to replace my 2016 M2 8.5 head I end up wondering what the **** I'm doing and go right back. It's the Michael Jordan of driver heads.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,399 ✭✭
    Let me get one of your backups Toll. Is the 8.5 really that much hotter than the 9.5?
    F9 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | 718 CBVokey SM6 52, 58Byron Morgan DH89
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
    JStang wrote:

Let me get one of your backups Toll. Is the 8.5 really that much hotter than the 9.5?

I only have one backup head and I can't risk selling it. I don't play a 9.5 driver so I don't really hit those lofts unless it's for fun in the cage but compared to just about anything else in the same loft, the ball speeds off my 8.5 heads are always at the highest end of the spectrum, even against this year's heads.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,325 ✭✭
    Lot of snarky shots at the SLDR...yet it’s clear there’s this awesome respect for the sheer power...almost a longing to be able to slay the beast...with your cruddy swing? Dream on.
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    Mizuno MP-15 5-PW
    Epon 210KGX 52* 56*
    Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport Longneck
  • SpeedyProSpeedyPro Members Posts: 565
    I hit at least 20 to 30 yds longer drive with Cobra F8+ compared to other drivers.

But I am struggling with my swing, so I don't think I can say others are not as good.

I am just saying that F8+ gets my vote.

I am very curious if I will get better results with F9.
  • 3woodvt3woodvt 5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    F9 weight forward!
    Cobra F9 8.0 Atmos TS Black7x
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Adams A12 19* VTS Proforce 100hs
    Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Cleveland 2.0 51**,55**,59*
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • agadawg17171agadawg17171 Bomb and Gouge The ATLMembers Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    The 2016 M2 was is still is the best. I wish I would have kept one around. The one I had with a little hot melt in it was a solid feeling cannon!
    Taylormade- M5 9.5* Tensei Orange X-Flex
    Callaway- Epic Flash 13.5* PX Hazrdous Smoke 6.5
    Callaway- APEX 19* Hybrid PX Evenflow Black 6.5
    Taylormade- P790 4-9i SteelFiber 110 S
    Vokey- SM7 46F, 50F, 56S, 60D DGTi S400
    Scotty Cameron- Phantom X5
    WITB Link
  • tangojaytangojay Members Posts: 928 ✭✭
    tcatone5 wrote:

I currently game the XR16 and still get great distance with it and have been generally happy with it. I am thinking about making a switch to a new driver mainly because the new models came out and last years have gone down in price.

What is the best driver that has come out in the last 5 years?

How much better could the clubs really be getting if they release a new model every year?

Same here, bought a 10.5 XR16, White Tie shaft for $150 on eBay, never been happier !!! Took it to the PGA Superstore to compare it to a Taylormade M3, salesman tried to talk me into spending $349 because my "numbers" were so much better with the M3,,, simulator said +3 yards distance and -1 dispersion,,, NOPE, not enough,,, did buy a drink because I was tired of trying out shafts on the M3,,,,
  • manima1manima1 Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:

JStang wrote:

I only have one backup head and I can't risk selling it. I don't play a 9.5 driver so I don't really hit those lofts unless it's for fun in the cage but compared to just about anything else in the same loft, the ball speeds off my 8.5 heads are always at the highest end of the spectrum, even against this year's heads.

I really hope I never crack mine. Wish I bought a backup a couple years ago while they were still readily available. If anyone ever finds a source, please DM me.
    M5 9.0 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,680 ✭✭
    edited Feb 20, 2019 3:20pm #106
    G400LST or 400 Are hard to beat.

The 400Max didn't work all that well for me.

As long as I'm swinging OK, the G400 is in the fairway. Swinging really well, 15 yards past my Epic

Compared to my Epic, forgiveness is way better.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
     Bettinardi '16 BB1 / '16 Bettinardi Tiki /  '17 Studio Stock 8
    Chrome Soft / TP5/ Wilson Staff FG Tour
  • JackrwestyJackrwesty Members Posts: 244 ✭✭
    Burner superfast 2.0, easily 15-20 yards longer then my m2 I use now, but my m2 is so much more forgiving !!!! ...why did it have to break ! :'(
    Taylormade M2 12° Driver

Callaway Rouge 14.5° 3 Wood

Taylormade R15 5 Wood

Bridgestone J15s, 5-OR

Titleist SM6; 50°, 54°, 60°

Odyssey 2 Ball

MG C4 (OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!)
  • Milez28Milez28 Members Posts: 422 ✭✭
    2016 M2 by far

Every year I get the new drivers, and I always go back to the OG M2
  • Ryan5508Ryan5508 Members Posts: 462 ✭✭
    G400 max

Longest and straightest driver I have owned and I am a driver ho.

Ping G400 Max - Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ - Aldila Rogue Silver 130 msi
    Callaway Epic SZ 3 wood - Aldila Rip Alpha
    Callaway Apex 2019 3h - Project X Catalyst
    Ping i210 - Pw-3 X100
    Ping Glide - 50/56/60
    Taylormade - Spider X slant neck

• shepardshepard Members Posts: 54
    2016 M 2. Was at the Senior Tour stop in Boca this weekend and I'm seeing a number of the pros still using it and they are not being paid to do so. If this isn't an endorsement then I don't know what is. But know your loft and definitely try out a few shafts at a fitter.
    TollBros wrote:

JStang wrote:

Do you have any experience with the 2016 M1 in 8.5 loft? I wonder if it's as hot as the M2?
  • manima1manima1 Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    JStang wrote:

TollBros wrote:

JStang wrote:

Do you have any experience with the 2016 M1 in 8.5 loft? I wonder if it's as hot as the M2?

Not trying to be a smartass, but he has that comp in the first page of this thread. 16 M2 is a ballspeed freak.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1718984-taylormade-tour-issue-2016-2018-m-series-driverstrackman-comparison-data/
    M5 9.0 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line
  • longofftheteeslongoffthetees GeorgiaMembers Posts: 966 ✭✭

I only hit driver 6 holes on my home course. Fairly wide fairways. I've changed my driving philosophy over the last year. I am happy with 260-270 as long as it's in the short stuff and very rarely go after my driver.
    Ping G400LST 10* Aldila Cinnamon 65x
    Cleveland Hi-Bore 12* 2W TA Steel "The Unicorn”
    TaylorMade V-Steel TS 13* Aldila NV 75s
    Cobra F9 OL 3H w/ Atoms Black
    Cobra F9 OL 5-SW KBS Stiff
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60* Aldila Lobster 
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #2
    ’19 Pro V1x Yellow
    manima1 wrote:

JStang wrote:

TollBros wrote:

JStang wrote:

Not trying to be a smartass, but he has that comp in the first page of this thread. 16 M2 is a ballspeed freak.

http://www.golfwrx.c...omparison-data/

Thanks, I didn't even think to reference that.
  • longofftheteeslongoffthetees GeorgiaMembers Posts: 966 ✭✭
    mtgjr wrote:

That is truly remarkable. You missed only 3 out of around 100 fairways?!

I hit 3 wood more than driver. I only hit driver 5-6 times a round and use a very smooth swing and just try to place the ball. Have fairly wide fairways at my home course. I always aim middle and if I fade or draw a couple yards I'm still in good shape.
    Ping G400LST 10* Aldila Cinnamon 65x
    Cleveland Hi-Bore 12* 2W TA Steel "The Unicorn”
    TaylorMade V-Steel TS 13* Aldila NV 75s
    Cobra F9 OL 3H w/ Atoms Black
    Cobra F9 OL 5-SW KBS Stiff
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60* Aldila Lobster 
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #2
    ’19 Pro V1x Yellow
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,149 ✭✭
    edited Feb 13, 2019 7:23pm #116
    Recently bought a 2016 M2 head just to see what all the fuss is about, won't be able to hit it for awhile though.
    '16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
    Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,195 ClubWRX
    TollBros wrote:

rt_charger wrote:

TollBros wrote:

There was only 1 non paid Titleist driver in play last week. You are correct.

To be honest, I don't think that's a useful metric in any way. All the guys who would want to play TS are already Titleist guys otherwise everyone else has their preferred or brand paid driver OR they're playing Tmag for the tee-up money. What is more impressive is Mizuno's ST190 being a brand that isn't known for woods and doesn't advertise and market their products to pros. When you have more than 1 pro put it in the bag when they aren't paid to for a company that doesn't have a rep for good woods it says something.

Taylormade does not pay tee up money. Everyone else still does though. For the record Taylormade had 68% of all the non contracted drivers in play last week. When players are not paid you can count on 4 things. They will play Taylormade drivers, Mitsubishi shafts, Mizuno irons and Scotty putters at an overwealming percentage.

On the money. I was at Torrey Pines and Riviera and no doubt the TM drivers dominate. It’s not even close. And you know, of the four brands listed here I can see it with three of them. TaylorMade drivers, Mitsubishi shafts (Diamana remains an all-time fave of mine) and Mizuno irons are all really strong. Mizuno irons are my choice most of the time. I just like how they play.

The only one I have never understood is the Scotty putters. Never have been drawn to them even after multiple demos. And mine is not the most prevalent opinion but I think the TaylorMade putter insert is the best one going. I bought a discounted Chaska last summer and that insert gets the ball rolling so well. I get really consistent distance control with it.

Guys who play Titleist like the TS3 and they are smashing it, but these guys smash everything. TS3 over the TS2 for most, but TS2 fairways are the choice off the turf.

Also, there is a lot of buzz about this year’s Mizuno drivers. Probably not enough to get TM players to switch but it certainly is recognized as a big step forward for Mizuno drivers. It is worth watching Keith Mitchell just to see him hit the ST190.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,325 ✭✭
    edited Feb 20, 2019 4:32pm #118
    Hardest thing is finding the right shaft. The head differences are there but it has always been about finding that shaft that you can swing fully with and get the results desired.

JP thinks that driver head changes from OEMs are mostly small and incremental, and more marketing than tech. As such, the focus on the driver head is a little too accentuated....but we are all prey to shiny pretty new things yes...
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    Mizuno MP-15 5-PW
    Epon 210KGX 52* 56*
    Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport Longneck
  • Whit1969Whit1969 Members Posts: 973 ✭✭
    M2 either 2016 or 2017. The 2017 was a tad more draw bias than the 2016 though. The 2016 just provided a more solid feel, sound, and a little less spin for me. Haven’t found anything to beat it out yet. Have a Diamana D+ in mine and it’s a great combination.

Also the Cobra Fly Z+ is a great option at a fantastic price now.
    Taylormade 2016 M2 PX Smoke 70
    Callaway Rogue 3 wood PX Evenflow Blue 75
    Titleist 915H 2 Hybrid Diamana S+ 70
    Titleist 718AP2 4-PW DG AMT Tour White (looking for JPX 900 Forged Pro Modus 3 105)
    Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey O-Works #7
    Snell MTB-Black
  • bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 736 ✭✭
    Of the ones I have tried I would go with:

Vapor Fly

2016 M2

TS3

Best all rounder of the 3 for me was the Vapor Fly, although I didn't get a chance to try the TS3 with my choice of shaft. 2016 M2 was slightly longer, but not as accurate and I hated the feel - the Vapor Fly is an absolute beast for me since I put the Speeder 757 in it. Swing as hard as I want and it just flies high and straight.
    The Blue Thunder: Nike Vapor Fly - 9.5 degree - Speeder Evolution 757X
    The Stenson: Nike Vapor Fly 3W - Mitsubishi JvlnFX 74 X-Flex
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

Also in Rotation:

Driving Iron: Nike Vapor Fly 2 iron - KBS C-Taper 120S
    Wedge: Nike Engage 58 Dual Sole
    Putters: Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged / Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can / Scotty Cameron California Del Mar