Shortening Back Swing

bobcat88bobcat88 Members Posts: 240 ✭✭
What's the best advice/drill you know for shortening a backswing? My swing with my irons is a nice 3/4 controlled swing, but for some reason, with a driver/woods in hand I'm at parallel or passed it.

For the life of me I can't get myself to shorten it for more consistency.

Comments

• jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,358 ✭✭
    I shortened my swing about two years ago, and I agree with you - the woods are the most difficult part of the process. My timing, especially with the driver, was tuned to compensate for my overrun at the top. With the shorter swing, I could never get transitioned quickly enough with the longer clubs .

So, I started letting my wrists get a little softer at the top of my swing with the woods. This allows the shaft to get near parallel at the top, but I can keep my shoulder turn at 90*. That little bit of compensation gives me enough time to get off the right side and get everything cleared. Over time, I hope to take this little bit of overrun and turn it into more of a pause.

So, my compensation may not be the ideal solution for everyone. But, if your struggles are similar to mine, finding something that will give you a little bit more time in the transition just might help.

Good luck!
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members Posts: 923 ✭✭
    edited Feb 1, 2019 3:45pm #3
    just a clarifying question, are your arms still at "iron" length but your wrists break? Or is the arm travel longer too? Jholz's feel sounds like adequate arm travel but a compensation with wrists for timing. I do the former, arms travel, and I also find it difficult to shorten my swing. Practice parallel to parallel swings, with speed the momentum will carry the club further than parallel but still shorter than typical.

That has worked best for me.
  • jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,358 ✭✭
    CAT GOLFER wrote:

just a clarifying question, are your arms still at "iron" length but your wrists break? Or is the arm travel longer too? Jholz's feel sounds like adequate arm travel but a compensation with wrists for timing. I do the former, arms travel, and I also find it difficult to shorten my swing. Practice parallel to parallel swings, with speed the momentum will carry the club further than parallel but still shorter than typical.

That has worked best for me.

Yeah, I used to have arm overrun as well, and that's what I tackled first. I did 9 to 3 (or parallel to parallel) swings for a long time to make that initial change. Can't thank Slicefixer enough for that drill. It's a life changer.
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • chivachiva Members Posts: 2,477 ✭✭
    bobcat88 wrote:

What's the best advice/drill you know for shortening a backswing? My swing with my irons is a nice 3/4 controlled swing, but for some reason, with a driver/woods in hand I'm at parallel or passed it.

Spinal fusion??
    OB and water hazards you flunkies
  • cwglumcwglum Members Posts: 1,556 ✭✭
    Tour Striker Smart Ball
  • ferrispgmferrispgm Members Posts: 1,907 ✭✭
    Depends on the cause of the long backswing. For me it was excessive bending of my trail arm. I took half swings feeling my trail arm was straight and eventually my normal swing got shorter. It's still longer than it needs to be but way shorter than it was. The shaft before would get to or just past parallel with a 9 iron...i'm just shy of parallel now.
    Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
    FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
    54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
    58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
    Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,268 ✭✭
    Instead of trying to shorten your backswing, try starting the downswing sooner.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • esm85esm85 Members Posts: 24
    Follow the checkpoints in this drill (just use a hanger from your closet). It is impossible to have run off if you keep it pressed against the lead wrist from P2 on.

If it's primarily longer clubs it may be due to a very late wrist set. Try setting wrists sooner/ almost immediately going back and see what happens.
  • melly9melly9 Members Posts: 29
    Monte’s Nike drill helped me. “Just Do It”
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
    Tour tempo app. Find your preferred tempo, get used to the beeps, then set the app one tempo setting faster and just follow the beeps again.
  • vitalesanvitalesan Members Posts: 34
    It’s natural to swing longer clubs further than shorter clubs. Why are you trying to change that?
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,208 ✭✭
    I have chronic issues with this, arm over run, etc. Two things that help me are, simplify focus of hands down to creating width and staying away from head. The other is to elevate focus of shoulder rotation to create true depth and dictate rhythm of swing. When I combine both, much harder to have a swing that's "too long".
  • MillbrookMillbrook Members Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    Hands to shoulder height and no higher.
    All comments are made from the point of
    view of my learning and not a claim
    to expertise.
  • Club GuruClub Guru Members Posts: 101 ✭✭
    It’s more than likely your arms breaking down. Very very few individuals can go past parallel without that breakdown. I would recommend getting a swing extended training aid to give you the feel. (Link below)

The other possibility is that your right hand is not supporting the club at the top of the swing during transition so it gets a little floppy and appears like the swing is too long/past parallel but in reality it’s not the swing.

http://www.swingextender.com
  • RohlioRohlio Members Posts: 2,324 ✭✭
    I am still struggling with the same thing... I have it fixed when I get an earlier vertical wrist hinge combined with really focusing on keeping both arms as long as possible. It feels crazy... Like my right arm doesn't fold at all it just keeps pushing out straight. On video I can see it folding but to me it feels straight and rigid. When I do this well my driver stops at perfect parallel or just short... Do it not and I can see my clubhead out of my left eye down by my L knee...

My iron swing has gotten so much better from shortening up, but the woods have been a real challenge to trust on the course. I feel like I don't have enough time in transition. When I do it properly wow though the results are worth it.
    WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
    FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
    Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
    Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
    Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle
  • Conner GolfConner Golf ClubWRX Posts: 82 ClubWRX
    The turn and rotation of your left arm and hands can be timed from the start of the backswing to the top of a full shoulder turn or quickly for the shortest of shoulder turns. The key for consistency is by not hinging your wrists until your turn and rotation is complete. Hinging early takes your club face off plane and the weight of your club head now works against getting it back on plane.
    One more piece of food for thought.....make sure your shoulder turn isn't too flat in the backswing....can lead to arm lift and overrun as a result.
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:

Instead of trying to shorten your backswing, try starting the downswing sooner.

Bingo.
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. Members Posts: 543
    bobcat88 wrote:

Is your lead arm straight and lead wrist flat?

Might be just a breakdown in those?
  • duck hookduck hook Members Posts: 1,097 ✭✭
    For a driver ,try “hovering” the club head at address, for some reason it makes my backswing shorter, more controlled
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,853 ✭✭
    I made a swing extender with a piece of 3" PVC and a short bungee cord. Worked fine. Spinal fusion, particularly in the cervical area also works well.
  • bobcat88bobcat88 Members Posts: 240 ✭✭
    duck hook wrote:

For a driver ,try “hovering” the club head at address, for some reason it makes my backswing shorter, more controlled

Finally had a chance to go to the range this weekend and put this technique into play and I was shocked. Night and day as far as consistency of ball strike from what I had been doing before. I had a tendency to deloft the club on takeaway and hovering the club for a half second completely eliminated that and shortended the backswing for some reason.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,852 ✭✭
    For me it was when I realized that most of my backswing was arms. When I started the backswing with my core and just let my arms ride back in front of my body they stopped where they were supposed to. As opposed to reaching way back with just my arms . I am super flexible so I could do this. Turn just a little and then reach back with al arms. And get driver to my left eye at the top. Not an issue now when I turn full and arms aren’t reaching for the sky.

Good visual of this for me is tiger swing around 2000. Not talking anything but how connected it is. And I’ll also say it took thousands upon thousand of less than full speed swings.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • whiteout73whiteout73 Members Posts: 1,021 ✭✭
    Age and extra pounds will do the trick. When I was 30, My driver swing was still long enough that I could see the clubhead in my peripheral vision at the top of the swing. Now, 17 years later, my backswing looks like JB Holmes's. Probably not coincidentally, I've become a much better (i.e. consistent) driver in the last few years. Driver is now the most dependable club in my bag, it just doesn't go as far as it once did.

Sorry, I know there's no advice there, but I do like what others have said - hover the driver at address, and try to start the downswing sooner.
    D - Ping G400 10-degree SFT, Diamana ka'li 70S
    3W - Tour Issue TM RBZ Tour TP 14.5, Diamana kai'li 70S
    Hy - TaylorMade 2009 Rescue TP 19, Aldila RIP 85S
    4-U - Ping i25, Ping TFC 189i graphite stiff
    54 and 60 - Bettinardi H2 Cashmere
    P - Bettinardi BB28 Raw Limited

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file