ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Quick help with ball speed of 150-155

bradleyguyebradleyguye Lefty Boomers Posts: 849 ✭✭
Got through a fitting and after getting an m5 was told I should be staying away from prov1 or prov1x due to driver speed.

My ball speed was 150-155. Any truth to this?

Comments

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Advanced Members Posts: 1,348 ✭✭
    Nope. Swing and ball speed has nothing to do with any ball you choose. It's whatever you prefer the feel and spin of.
    Long Live Nike
  • AC168AC168 Advanced Members Posts: 825 ✭✭
    That you swing too fast or too slow? I’d think launch and spin would be helpful data.
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon Advanced Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    What were your side spin numbers? If you were constantly fading or drawing may be they meant you should go for a ball that spins less off the driver?

Pro v's are great if you have the ability to work the ball, but if not they can really punish a miss hit.

Better to have a ball in play 10-20 yards short than one further down in heavy rough in my opinion.
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]14 - Mini Dr - Bertha Mini 1.5 - Motore 70 R @42.5" - D2.5
    19 - Fairway - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 70 R @ 40.5" - D2
    22 - Hybrid - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 80 R 39" D1.5
    25 - Hybrid - Adams Idea (14) - Ozik X-con 8h R 38.25" - D2
    28 - hybrid iron - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D2.5
    32 & 36 - hybrid iron - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D3
    40 & 45- cavity back - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D3.5
    50 - wedge - Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB - 6 bounce - D4
    55 - wedge - Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB - 11 bounce- D4
    60 - wedge - Ping Tour-W - 8 bounce - D5
    56 - wedge - Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0 - 8 bounce - D4
    Odyssey 2 Ball fang - e6 soft - Sun Mountain Combo Cart / Bag

On the naughty step - Driver - Callaway GBB (animal style) - Speeder 665 R @ 43.5" - D3

90mph SS - longest drive 2018 (measured with GameGolf) - 264 yards
    [/font]
  • bradleyguyebradleyguye Lefty Boomers Posts: 849 ✭✭
    My side spin numbers were a bit high but 2500-3000. Nothing crazy.
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX Charter Members, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,801 ClubWRX
    IMO, the highest priority in ball selection should be how it performs 50 yards and in, then 100 yards, then 150 yards, then 200 yards and then from the tee.

I would gladly give up 5-10 yards with the driver for more spin and control around the greens. However, sometimes the same ball that provides exceptional spin around the greens also provides a little more spin with the driver, resulting in misses traveling a little further off line.

Testing is the only way to determine which ball is best for you. You have to find that sweet spot between green-side performance and driver performance.
    Callaway Customs Epic Flash 9* - HZRDUS Smoke
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 19* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 80
    Srixon Z785 4-PW - Nippon Pro Mosud 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Snell MTB Black
  • wfrogge1wfrogge1 Advanced Members Posts: 1,183 ✭✭

Got through a fitting and after getting an m5 was told I should be staying away from prov1 or prov1x due to driver speed.

Rough guess but that ball speed puts you somewhere in the 100-105 swing speed range and there are plenty of pros in your swing range and slower that play ProV1 and V1x just fine.... not that it matters. I select golf balls for how the perform inside of 100 yards and lastly the driver.

Kind of wondering, what ball did this fitter suggest?
  • MahamiltoMahamilto Advanced Members Posts: 1,816 ✭✭
    Play the AVX
    Titleist TS3 - 10.5 - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.5
    Titleist 917F2 - 15*, Diamana S+ LTD 80TX
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-PW - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM2 59.12* - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Titleist AVX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • bradleyguyebradleyguye Lefty Boomers Posts: 849 ✭✭
    wfrogge1 wrote:

Rough guess but that ball speed puts you somewhere in the 100-105 swing speed range and there are plenty of pros in your swing range and slower that play ProV1 and V1x just fine.... not that it matters. I select golf balls for how the perform inside of 100 yards and lastly the driver.

Suggested a chrome soft or Z star.

Had another pxg fitting and the fitter really liked the idea of the tp5x or prov1x.

Fascinating for sure.
  • BB28403BB28403 Advanced Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭
    wfrogge1 wrote:

Had another pxg fitting and the fitter really liked the idea of the tp5x or prov1x.

Fascinating for sure.

I love the TP5X!
  • playaplaya Advanced Members Posts: 8,689 ✭✭

wfrogge1 wrote:

Fascinating for sure.

Any chance these fitters had deals with Cally/Srixon. TM/Titleist?
  • cjyner97cjyner97 Advanced Members Posts: 82 ✭✭
    I have the same ball speed and absolutely love the tp5x
    9* Epic Subzero
    Hzrdus Yellow stiff

15* Rogue 3w
    Hzruds Yellow stiff

17* 790 UDI
    Hzruds Black stiff

MP 18 FLI HI 4
    Modus 105s

5-PW 900 tour
    Modus 105s

MD4 50, 54, 58
    DG S200

TM Spider tour black
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Advanced Members Posts: 1,167 ✭✭
    I have similar speed to you.

I swing my driver at 150-155 and use a Srixon XV.

Edit: Ball speed? Is that with a wedge?
  • bradskibradski Advanced Members Posts: 2,313 ✭✭

if this is side spin then it is a little bit crazy. Into the wind you will get a lot of movement on the ball. under 1k is good and under 500 rpm side is very ideal.
  • crispy830crispy830 Members Posts: 13
    Maybe he was thinking you would benefit from a ball with a bit lower compression like a Bridgestone RX or a Chrome Soft. I don't know a ton about, but I thought there was an idea that you get less performance if you can't fully compress the ball with your swing speed. For what it's worth, my driver ball speed is around 160 and I have great success with a TP5x as an all around ball.
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon Advanced Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    bradski wrote:

if this is side spin then it is a little bit crazy. Into the wind you will get a lot of movement on the ball. under 1k is good and under 500 rpm side is very ideal.

Seconded. When I read it first time I thought it was backspin numbers not side spin...
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]14 - Mini Dr - Bertha Mini 1.5 - Motore 70 R @42.5" - D2.5
    19 - Fairway - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 70 R @ 40.5" - D2
    22 - Hybrid - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 80 R 39" D1.5
    25 - Hybrid - Adams Idea (14) - Ozik X-con 8h R 38.25" - D2
    28 - hybrid iron - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D2.5
    32 & 36 - hybrid iron - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D3
    40 & 45- cavity back - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D3.5
    50 - wedge - Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB - 6 bounce - D4
    55 - wedge - Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB - 11 bounce- D4
    60 - wedge - Ping Tour-W - 8 bounce - D5
    56 - wedge - Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0 - 8 bounce - D4
    Odyssey 2 Ball fang - e6 soft - Sun Mountain Combo Cart / Bag

On the naughty step - Driver - Callaway GBB (animal style) - Speeder 665 R @ 43.5" - D3

90mph SS - longest drive 2018 (measured with GameGolf) - 264 yards
    [/font]
  • Hattie PantsHattie Pants Advanced Members Posts: 203 ✭✭
    playa wrote:

wfrogge1 wrote:

Fascinating for sure.

Any chance these fitters had deals with Cally/Srixon. TM/Titleist?

Kinda what I thought. Probably told the guy after you with 125 balls speed to stay away from Pro V, and the guy after him with 170 ball speed too
    TS3 9.5* accra tour z x 465 m5
    PXG 15* tensei pro blue 70x
    718 TMB 2i Pxi x
    PXG 0317x 22* tensei pro blue 80x
    718 AP2 4-9i modus 120x
    SM7 raw 48* c-taper 130x
    SM7 raw 54* c-taper 120s
    SM7 raw 60* vokey wedge shaft
    C&L CL-1
  • Natural1Natural1 Advanced Members Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited February 11
    I'm very much an average swing speed guy, with relatively low launch & high spin. Driver ball speed around 140-145, and the TP5x is the best all around ball I've found. Pro V1x second. Of course everyone is different, but I certainly don't buy in to the idea that you need a soft compression ball at average swing speeds. For me, I think the benefit of the "x" balls is that they are designed to flight a bit higher, and that's what I need. The TP5x somehow also keeps the driver spin down as well, which is a great combination for me.

Example: Titleist Tour Soft is shorter off the driver for me vs TP5x and Pro V1x. Again, everyone is different
  • Invisible-zInvisible-z Advanced Members Posts: 91 ✭✭
    if you have to stay away from Pro V1 with a 100MPH swing speed.... Titleist would be broke
  • LiquidLiquid Advanced Members Posts: 360 ✭✭
    I just got home from a driver fitting and I asked my guy about what ball to use. I was maxing out at 105mph, so he said use the TP5/ProV1, as the X versions were for 110mph+. He said the X's are 4pc and aren't being properly compressed at 103-105. I had never heard this before and he said it's not something Titleist wants to advertise. Has anyone else heard anything similar to this?
    PXG Gen2 10.5 Ventus 6S
    Epic 3 wood 15 degree Hzurdus S
    Mizzy CLK hybrid
    Mizzy JPX 919 forged
    Miura 55 & 59 degree
    Evnroll ER6
  • naj959naj959 Advanced Members Posts: 989 ✭✭
    Similar ball speed and I prefer the pro V1 over the X and chrome soft. I prefer the more penetrating flight.
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Advanced Members Posts: 880 ✭✭
    Liquid wrote:

I just got home from a driver fitting and I asked my guy about what ball to use. I was maxing out at 105mph, so he said use the TP5/ProV1, as the X versions were for 110mph+. He said the X's are 4pc and aren't being properly compressed at 103-105. I had never heard this before and he said it's not something Titleist wants to advertise. Has anyone else heard anything similar to this?

He is wrong.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman