ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Cobra F9 irons!!!!!!

Comments

• lang30lang30 Hawkeye Advanced Members Posts: 313 ✭✭

Well that can be distracting, I'll agree. It might be enough distracting that some people just can't get past it. On the other hand, if the results of the iron's performance is overwhelming in and of itself, then it can be very easy to overlook this issue.

Whatever,..........to each his own.

This is what you are looking down at in the 4 iron. A chunky iron has never bothered me - ultimately the performance is all I care about. The last pic is the wedge, which i think looks good at address.
    G400 Max 9 Degree Tour75x
    G400 3 Wood Tour75x
    G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
    Cobra F9 4 - GW C-Taper s+
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 & 58 DG x100
    Taylormade Spider X
  • ode1ode1 Advanced Members Posts: 2,806 ✭✭
    To be fair, quite a few driving irons are going to be showing their drawers! I get the sentiment and think the sole/cavity is gawdy, but they look good at address.....not sure where the cut off point is where you can start to see the sole/cavity?
    ode1 wrote:

To be fair, quite a few driving irons are going to be showing their drawers! I get the sentiment and think the sole/cavity is gawdy, but they look good at address.....not sure where the cut off point is where you can start to see the sole/cavity?

Not sure if this is what you were asking, but you will see a sliver of the sole in the 7 iron, but nothing from the 8 down.
    G400 3 Wood Tour75x
    G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
    Taylormade Spider X
  • LobberLobber Advanced Members Posts: 2,368 ✭✭
    lang30 wrote:

Well that can be distracting, I'll agree. It might be enough distracting that some people just can't get past it. On the other hand, if the results of the iron's performance is overwhelming in and of itself, then it can be very easy to overlook this issue.

Whatever,..........to each his own.

This is what you are looking down at in the 4 iron. A chunky iron has never bothered me - ultimately the performance is all I care about. The last pic is the wedge, which i think looks good at address.

Thanks for posting these pics. The 4 iron is about the same as a Srixon 585 and does not look that bad
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,861 ✭✭
    I don't get along at all with the new Cobra F9 driver but these irons are a different story.

I've hit the 7 iron in the store a couple of times (latest today) and this iron is seriously good. I get that "players" won't like it because of the depth of the sole, how big it is and how the back flange shows at address but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Feels almost like the entire face is the sweet spot. Forgiveness, which is pretty much what GI clubs are for, is excellent.

Despite the forged face I don't think anyone will confuse it with a true forged iron.

Hit it anywhere near the sweet spot and it feels flush. Distance is excellent and beats out the 790 and new M5 (which is very good as well BTW) irons but with irons it's all about dispersion; distance is secondary.

Today I tried several shafts with the F9; DG X100, DG AMT White, KBS Tour FLT 120 and a Modus-3 105. All were very good but the straightest one was, surprisingly to me, the KBS.

Been thinking of changing the whole bag this early part of '19 and, while a fair bit more testing is need, these will be serious contenders.
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
    lang30 wrote:

ode1 wrote:

Not sure if this is what you were asking, but you will see a sliver of the sole in the 7 iron, but nothing from the 8 down.

Yes, thx!
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Advanced Members Posts: 301 ✭✭
    I was a little concerned about the look of the long irons at address, but seriously, when you see the result of your shot you forget all about how it looks before you hit it.
  • TommyjTommyj Advanced Members Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited February 12
    Just checked and Cobra is offering a good selection of steel shafts at no up charge - pretty well the full range of KBS shafts, Nippon 950/Modus105/Modus130, TT XP95/DG/DG AMT. Too bad its parallel and not taper tip shaft.

Standard length is a bit on the long side, 38" 6 iron and 36" GW. The F9's actually have less offset than the F8's, 0.5mm less in the 6 iron increasing to 1.5mm less in the PW. Strange because my first thought when I set them down was that they had more offset than last years. Wasn't going to hit them, but I'll have to give them a shot based on what you guys are saying.
  • PolkSaladArniePolkSaladArnie Members Posts: 1
    ode1 wrote:

I really like them as well when I demo,d them, hit both the SL and regular version. Although they are fugly from the sole/cavity, they look good at address, IMO what actually matters. Offset did not appear to be that much, topline was good there is bevel to reduce.the size, and what I would consider a generous blade length without being huge. They are definitely not compact. Forgiving,feel is good, and easy to hit. What I'm not a fan of is the stock shaft offering, too light. Kudos to cobra as they have a really good list of no upcharge shaft offerings on their site, but that does not help when wanting to demo one, you are stuck with what they have in the store. And the lies are 1* more upright than standard, so if you need any more than 1* flat (from a regular standard) you are out of luck. As a result these are a no go for me. Likely was not buying them anyway, but the lie angles rule these out from the jump!

Just FYI Ode, you can order these sticks up to 3* flat directly from Cobra, or your chosen fitter, that's what I did!

ode1 wrote:

I really like them as well when I demo,d them, hit both the SL and regular version. Although they are fugly from the sole/cavity, they look good at address, IMO what actually matters. Offset did not appear to be that much, topline was good there is bevel to reduce.the size, and what I would consider a generous blade length without being huge. They are definitely not compact. Forgiving,feel is good, and easy to hit. What I'm not a fan of is the stock shaft offering, too light. Kudos to cobra as they have a really good list of no upcharge shaft offerings on their site, but that does not help when wanting to demo one, you are stuck with what they have in the store. And the lies are 1* more upright than standard, so if you need any more than 1* flat (from a regular standard) you are out of luck. As a result these are a no go for me. Likely was not buying them anyway, but the lie angles rule these out from the jump!

Just FYI Ode, you can order these sticks up to 3* flat directly from Cobra, or your chosen fitter, that's what I did!

Not an option on line, so must be call in only!
  • clichecliche Advanced Members Posts: 754
    can anyone compare these to the cobra tour forged irons that were released maybe 1,5 years ago?
  • andrieddleandrieddle Advanced Members Posts: 1,793 ✭✭
    cliche wrote:

can anyone compare these to the cobra tour forged irons that were released maybe 1,5 years ago?

They are 2 different "class" of irons, so not sure if they can be compared head to head directly.....
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • casey_0507casey_0507 Advanced Members Posts: 1,627
    andrieddle wrote:

cliche wrote:

They are 2 different "class" of irons, so not sure if they can be compared head to head directly.....

The Tour Forged will be less forgiving, smaller profile (slightly bigger than AP2), probably spin a bit more due to design, and be shorter iron vs iron due to the loft difference (Forged Tour 6 iron 29* vs F9 6 iron 25.5*). Below is the "rank" of Cobra Irons over the last few years by category they fit under.

1. King Forged MB/CB, Amp Cell Pro, Fly Z Pro

2. Cobra Forged Tour, Amp Forged, Fly Z+

3. Forged Tec Black and Forged Tec

4. F9, Amp, Fly Z, F6, F7, F8
    Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x
    Cobra F7 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
    Cobra King Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
    Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
    Spider Tour Red
  • BigHook25BigHook25 Advanced Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭
    Pack7483 wrote:

jjmurry wrote:

I'm also wondering if anyone has turned the 4i into a driving iron. I was looking to basically recreate Rickie's 4i that he beats with the AD IZ shaft that comes out next month.

Has anyone had any luck with throwing a hybrid shaft into the 4i? Any tipping required?

Thanks!

I emailed Cobra about the f9 4i as a driving iron. They recommended I have them install an 80 gram KBS TGI graphite in it, bend strong, and at 3 iron length. Not sure what the cost will be, but I imagine it will come out cheaper than the P790 UDI I have had my mind on.

Also considering the 4-iron as a driving iron. Play it at about 3 iron length and maybe bend one degree strong.
  • Prime21Prime21 Members Posts: 13 ✭✭
    BigHook25 wrote:
    Pack7483 wrote:
    jjmurry wrote:
    I'm also wondering if anyone has turned the 4i into a driving iron. I was looking to basically recreate Rickie's 4i that he beats with the AD IZ shaft that comes out next month. Has anyone had any luck with throwing a hybrid shaft into the 4i? Any tipping required? Thanks!
    I emailed Cobra about the f9 4i as a driving iron. They recommended I have them install an 80 gram KBS TGI graphite in it, bend strong, and at 3 iron length. Not sure what the cost will be, but I imagine it will come out cheaper than the P790 UDI I have had my mind on.
    Also considering the 4-iron as a driving iron. Play it at about 3 iron length and maybe bend one degree strong.

Yep - same here. I am in the market for a new driving iron and with being a big fan of Fowler and seeing how he hit that 4i, I am super interested. I would be curious to know Cobra's answer back to the guys that inquired about this with the IZ hyrbid shaft when/if they get back to you.
  • jjmurryjjmurry Members Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Prime21 wrote:

BigHook25 wrote:
    Pack7483 wrote:
    jjmurry wrote:
    I'm also wondering if anyone has turned the 4i into a driving iron. I was looking to basically recreate Rickie's 4i that he beats with the AD IZ shaft that comes out next month. Has anyone had any luck with throwing a hybrid shaft into the 4i? Any tipping required? Thanks!

Yep - same here. I am in the market for a new driving iron and with being a big fan of Fowler and seeing how he hit that 4i, I am super interested. I would be curious to know Cobra's answer back to the guys that inquired about this with the IZ hyrbid shaft when/if they get back to you.

I actually spoke to a few people regarding this - both at Cobra and at GD. What I was able to gather is that the AD IZ isn't exactly the same profile as the one in Rickie's 4iron, his is stiffer in the mid and tip section, so it was recommended that an AD IZ is installed into the F9 tipped 1" but can play 0.5" tipped if you're looking for something a bit softer. I plan to try this once the AD IZ hybrid shaft is release in the coming weeks.
    TS 3 - 8.5* GD AD IZ 7X
    TS2 - 15* EvenFlow T1100 75S
    Cobra F9 Speedback 4i - 18.5* AD IZ 95X Hybrid shaft
    JPX 900 Tour PW-4i - C-Taper 130x
    Vokey SM7 - 52*, 56*, 60*
    Ping Anser 2
    TP5X
    casey_0507 wrote:

andrieddle wrote:

cliche wrote:

The Tour Forged will be less forgiving, smaller profile (slightly bigger than AP2), probably spin a bit more due to design, and be shorter iron vs iron due to the loft difference (Forged Tour 6 iron 29* vs F9 6 iron 25.5*). Below is the "rank" of Cobra Irons over the last few years by category they fit under.

Kinda surprised that you rate the forged tour irons "higher" than the forged tec.

is there a reason why?
  • Prime21Prime21 Members Posts: 13 ✭✭
    jjmurry wrote:

Prime21 wrote:

BigHook25 wrote:
    Pack7483 wrote:
    jjmurry wrote:

I actually spoke to a few people regarding this - both at Cobra and at GD. What I was able to gather is that the AD IZ isn't exactly the same profile as the one in Rickie's 4iron, his is stiffer in the mid and tip section, so it was recommended that an AD IZ is installed into the F9 tipped 1" but can play 0.5" tipped if you're looking for something a bit softer. I plan to try this once the AD IZ hybrid shaft is release in the coming weeks.

I may do the same - thanks for the info
    cliche wrote:
    casey_0507 wrote:

andrieddle wrote:

cliche wrote:

Kinda surprised that you rate the forged tour irons "higher" than the forged tec.

is there a reason why?

They aren’t ranking but more the category they fall in from players to game improvement.

So 1 = Players/blade style irons (although technically the cbs aren’t blades)

2 = Players CB

3 = Players/Game Improvement Forged

4 = game improvement

Or something along those lines.
    Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
    Spider Tour Red
    casey_0507 wrote:

cliche wrote:
    casey_0507 wrote:

andrieddle wrote:

cliche wrote:

is there a reason why?

They aren’t ranking but more the category they fall in from players to game improvement.

So 1 = Players/blade style irons (although technically the cbs aren’t blades)

2 = Players CB

3 = Players/Game Improvement Forged

4 = game improvement

Or something along those lines.

i got your ranking

In just think that the forged tec is a little more of of a players iron than the forged tour. but hey. who really cares image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> all good
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Advanced Members Posts: 2,316 ✭✭
    gdb99 wrote:

Lofts aren’t jacked? Maybe compared to the Pings. But these are 3-4* less loft per club than my 712 AP1’s! That’s jacked!

Yep. Since jacked lofts have become the new norm, lofts have to be super-jacked to be considered jacked. Make sense?
    Callaway Fusion
    Pinhawk SL 5w
    TM Burner Superfast 4h
    TM Burner XD 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • gdb99gdb99 Advanced Members Posts: 1,591 ✭✭
    The original Forged Tech are huge compared to the Forged Tour.
    Cobra King LTD, Black Tie Regular flex
    Titleist 917F 16.5, Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
    Cleveland DST 3 hybrid, Diamana Redboard regular
    Mizuno MP-4's
    Vokey SM7 54M
    Odyssey #2
    edited February 15
    cliche wrote:

i got your ranking

In just think that the forged tec is a little more of of a players iron than the forged tour. but hey. who really cares image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> all good

I have some Forged Tec Black and King Forged CB being delivered tomorrow. I also own Amp Forged so I'll snap a pick and show size differences.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
    Spider Tour Red
    Ordered F9 7 iron built to my specs on Monday and it arrived today. Mosonnal rains here in So Cal so I could only hit two balls at a local park. Easy to elevate with excellent feel. High boring trajectory. Need to get it on the course to see if I might game an entire set. Looks a bit wide on the bottom but not too bad up top and on back. Probably time to put playability ahead of looks
  • jjmurryjjmurry Members Posts: 47 ✭✭
    To follow on - I went to my local shop today and hit their test 5 iron using a few different shafts and enjoyed the Project X LZ 6.5 graphite shaft. I had never heard of the shaft but was launching the 5 iron 215+ carry (normal 5 iron is around 200) with about 10-15 yards roll. Order has been placed and can't come soon enough! I will still end up buying the AD IZ hybrid for this thing at some point just to try.
    TS 3 - 8.5* GD AD IZ 7X
    TS2 - 15* EvenFlow T1100 75S
    Cobra F9 Speedback 4i - 18.5* AD IZ 95X Hybrid shaft
    JPX 900 Tour PW-4i - C-Taper 130x
    Vokey SM7 - 52*, 56*, 60*
    Ping Anser 2
    TP5X
  • DandyDonDandyDon Advanced Members Posts: 184
    casey_0507 wrote:

andrieddle wrote:

cliche wrote:

Interesting ranking. I bought the AMPs the first day they hit the market...Little did I know it, but my best iron play would be with those. I started learning to shape shots, so I wanted something better for that and went with Ping I25s. Had to leave those because the distance loss was too great and have been playing the Apex for 3 years. Now looking at new irons and I accidentally stumbled across the Cobra F9, I hate the looks, but they have out performed every club I have hit them against in 3 or 4 visits to the shop.

I am getting fitted Monday, will see if it wins out...If it wasn't for the ego, I would probably demand them, ha
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,861 ✭✭
    FWIW I hit these again today. Hard to figure how they go so far. Once again experienced a very forgiving head. The 7 iron is 29.5* - only 1/2* stronger than my current Ap-1s but according to the LM I am hitting it 1-1.5+ clubs longer.

My normal 7 iron carry is about 152. Tried the F9s with Modus3 120, KBS Tour FLT 120 and DG AMTs. Good strikes carrying in the 163 range.

Then, for no other reason than I saw it there in the back of the rack, I put a KBS $-Taper 120 in it. Hit 170 on a few strikes and routinely got 167 or so.

I'm not big on distance for irons but if I can hit 'em where I want and the distance is consistent, I'll take the extra distance. And the dispersion, especially with the $-Tapers was excellent. I should note that these shafts all spun in the 3900 or so range, some 3-400 rpms lower than my AP-1s so I have to wonder how well they'd stick when hit to a green.
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
    nsxguy wrote:
    FWIW I hit these again today. Hard to figure how they go so far. Once again experienced a very forgiving head. The 7 iron is 29.5* - only 1/2* stronger than my current Ap-1s but according to the LM I am hitting it 1-1.5+ clubs longer.

My normal 7 iron carry is about 152. Tried the F9s with Modus3 120, KBS Tour FLT 120 and DG AMTs. Good strikes carrying in the 163 range.

Then, for no other reason than I saw it there in the back of the rack, I put a KBS $-Taper 120 in it. Hit 170 on a few strikes and routinely got 167 or so.

I'm not big on distance for irons but if I can hit 'em where I want and the distance is consistent, I'll take the extra distance. And the dispersion, especially with the $-Tapers was excellent. I should note that these shafts all spun in the 3900 or so range, some 3-400 rpms lower than my AP-1s so I have to wonder how well they'd stick when hit to a green.

Were the F9 7 spinning less than your AP1 6 iron? Reason I ask is if you are hitting the F9 1-1.5 clubs longer, probably makes sense to compare spin numbers to what club you’d hit into a green at 165 for example and not go 7 vs 7.
    Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
    Spider Tour Red
  • Pack7483Pack7483 Advanced Members Posts: 602 ✭✭
    Talked to cobra yesterday, and asked again about a "Rickie" version of the f9 4iron. They said they are selling a few of the 4i with the stock Attmos 7 shaft from the f9 hybrids. It was going to be the same price as the stock iron graphite so I will probably order one. Just curious if anyone has hit that shaft, and what you think it would play like as a driving iron?
    edited February 15
    casey_0507 wrote:

cliche wrote:

i got your ranking

I have some Forged Tec Black and King Forged CB being delivered tomorrow. I also own Amp Forged so I'll snap a pick and show size differences.

I'd say actually looking at these, that the differences in size between the King Forged CB and Amp Forged are pretty much the same size differences between the Amp Forged and Forged Tec Black.

As an fyi, I don't have a 6 forged tec black, so the pics are not completely apples to apples.

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
    Spider Tour Red
  • TommyjTommyj Advanced Members Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited February 15
    Had a chance to hit the F9 today and really impressed. I was comparing it to the G410, 7 irons in both. I liked the feel of the F9 better, it had denser feel to it on contact - if that make an senses. Also liked that it had less offset than the Ping (F9 at .125" vs the Ping at .18"). Wasn't keen that you could see a bit of the cavity with the F9, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I was hitting the F9 more consistently and getting about 5-8 yards more than with the G410 - the F9 is 0.5* stronger and 1/2" longer but I assume that at least 1/4" of the additional length is the Connect grip. I was hitting off mats and would be interested in hearing from those who have put these in play - specifically how they perform off the turf and also how the shorter irons play.
    So I got in a quick 9 today and put my F9 7 iron into play. I was super impressed with the feel off the face. Really nice forges feel. Ball flight was a high piercing but not ballooning flight. 177 yd uphill Par 3 into a slight wind. Hit the green and stopped after a skip or two. Birdie putt. Of course I pulled it for par. Looks not bad at all although definitely bigger than my Apex Pro. But then again a **** of a lot easier and more forgiving. Also hit a few partial shots with the 7 with good results. Need more on course testing to see if I’m all in on the game improvement iron type in 19. My heart knows I need to be but my ego is whispering don’t do it don’t do it. I will say this. If I do go to add a game improvement set to my stable it will be the F9
    Lobber wrote:

So I got in a quick 9 today and put my F9 7 iron into play. I was super impressed with the feel off the face. Really nice forges feel. Ball flight was a high piercing but not ballooning flight. 177 yd uphill Par 3 into a slight wind. Hit the green and stopped after a skip or two. Birdie putt. Of course I pulled it for par. Looks not bad at all although definitely bigger than my Apex Pro. But then again a **** of a lot easier and more forgiving. Also hit a few partial shots with the 7 with good results. Need more on course testing to see if I'm all in on the game improvement iron type in 19. My heart knows I need to be but my ego is whispering don't do it don't do it. I will say this. If I do go to add a game improvement set to my stable it will be the F9

Good to hear. What shaft do you have in it? I will play a couple rounds in a few weeks and can't wait to get these outdoors.
    G400 3 Wood Tour75x
    G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
    Taylormade Spider X
  • RhumpRhump ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 11 ClubWRX
    I’ve had a set of F9 OL for a few weeks now (ordered direct from Cobra and they actually showed a few days before the official release) and I really like them. The clubs are a thousands times more durable then the F8s. I’ve hit a lot of balls with them and they still look like new.
    lang30 wrote:

Lobber wrote:

So I got in a quick 9 today and put my F9 7 iron into play. I was super impressed with the feel off the face. Really nice forges feel. Ball flight was a high piercing but not ballooning flight. 177 yd uphill Par 3 into a slight wind. Hit the green and stopped after a skip or two. Birdie putt. Of course I pulled it for par. Looks not bad at all although definitely bigger than my Apex Pro. But then again a **** of a lot easier and more forgiving. Also hit a few partial shots with the 7 with good results. Need more on course testing to see if I'm all in on the game improvement iron type in 19. My heart knows I need to be but my ego is whispering don't do it don't do it. I will say this. If I do go to add a game improvement set to my stable it will be the F9

Good to hear. What shaft do you have in it? I will play a couple rounds in a few weeks and can't wait to get these outdoors.

C Taper Lite XFlex. Jumbo max grip. Man that puppy is fat
  • Pack7483Pack7483 Advanced Members Posts: 602 ✭✭
    Rhump wrote:

I've had a set of F9 OL for a few weeks now (ordered direct from Cobra and they actually showed a few days before the official release) and I really like them. The clubs are a thousands times more durable then the F8s. I've hit a lot of balls with them and they still look like new.

Stock shafts? I am thinking of selling my F7 one lengths for the F9s.
    For those considering the variable length, for some reason Cobra chose to increase length by 3/4 inches from 6 to 5 iron and 5 to 4 iron. I don't know if this is becoming a common practice, but I find it annoying and didn't catch that before placing my order. I had a local club builder adjust my 4 and 5 down to the normal half inch progressions.
    G400 3 Wood Tour75x
    G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
    Taylormade Spider X
  • Les StrokesLes Strokes Advanced Members Posts: 376 ✭✭

229 yd 7 iron. Looking forward to more reviews and hopefully trying them myself in the next few weeks. Wasn't even considering these until I saw this thread.
    has anyone tried these with recoil 760/780 or a steelfiber shaft in it?
    Has anyone tested the F9's against the CF16 or 19?
  • BigHook25BigHook25 Advanced Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭
    Considering the price of these irons, I think I might just pick up the 4-iron and try it as a driving iron.
  • DandyDonDandyDon Advanced Members Posts: 184
    I currently play the CF 16s and just hit the 19s against the F9. Was not my best day of swings, but got about 7 yards more carry with the F9, more distance on my favorite miss, the toe....I do like the Apex looks so much more though...
  • boggymanboggyman Advanced Members Posts: 2,525 ✭✭
    Are the 9s that much an improvement or better than the 8s??
  • K13K13 Advanced Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    boggyman wrote:

Are the 9s that much an improvement or better than the 8s??

I don't think the 8s had a forged face, did they? If not, would make a difference.

I really loved playing the original Forged TEC irons, and those also had the forged face in a multi material head.

Really glad to see Cobra irons generally being well reviewed. I've liked them for a while, but something about a giant KING being on them really turned me off of their newer stuff visually. I know that's where they decided to focus branding and marketing. Just not for me.

DandyDon wrote:

I currently play the CF 16s and just hit the 19s against the F9. Was not my best day of swings, but got about 7 yards more carry with the F9, more distance on my favorite miss, the toe....I do like the Apex looks so much more though...

thanks. What shaft was in each?
    They are long, gel good and forgive. But they are just too big for my eye. Can’t fault the performance in anyway. Great sticks for those who aren’t Fixated on thin top lines and soles
  • GeneralCG21GeneralCG21 Members Posts: 21
    Just grabbed a set of F9, could hit the stiff KBS like i wanted, so I went R+.

Anyone else go through the same thing?
  • eddiebigeddieeddiebigeddie Advanced Members Posts: 1,785 ✭✭
    Wondering if anyone has compared these to the Mizuno 919 Hot Metals?
    Cobra F9...….…………………..Aldila Tour Blue 65
    Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5)…......…Project X HZRDUS Red 75
    Cobra F7 Hybrid (20.5).........….Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Mizuno JPX 919 HM (5 - Gw)…Project X LZ 6.5
    Cobra King Black (54/10)......….Project X LZ 6.5
    Taylormade Hi-Toe (60/10)........KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Adjuster (Damascus)[/background]

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Adjuster (303 Stainless-Naked)[/background]

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Fixer (303 Stainless-Torched)[/background]

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
  • leo the lionleo the lion Advanced Members Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Great review here. Very consistent yardages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6cyspTSKLQ&t=485s
    Driver, Fairway and Hybrid  G400 LST 8.5 Tour Stiff 65, G30 3 Wood Tour Stiff 80 and G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 
    Hybrid  Tour Edge Exotics CBPro U Limited Edition 17* #2 Kuro Kage Stiff 90HY
    Irons  G irons 4-UW AWT 2.0 Stiff white dot +1/2" plus Odyssey Duel Force 56 degree 
    Bag  Hoofer 14 2016
    Putter 7i2gBOQ.png Queen Bee #8 
    Balls Titleist ProV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X 
  • JohnKHawkJohnKHawk Advanced Members Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Just got my F9 irons. I was curious to see if the gap wedge & sand wedge were different from the F8's. I could not find any specific images of them. The F8's had that specialty wedge look going for them which I really didn't care for at all. Didn't like them one bit really. Looks as though they have gone away from that look.

I think they fit better in with the rest of the irons. I had the same problem with the F8 gap wedge as I did the Mizuno JPX900 gap wedge. Seemed to lose distance & have to big a gap between the PW & GW. Have to test them out but I certainly like the looks of the F9 gap & sand wedge better than the F8's. Just my opinion.