Yesterday: An emotional high (99mph) and devastatingly low (story) day at the range. Warning, graphi

shadymgshadymg Members Posts: 166 ✭✭
edited Feb 2, 2019 3:44pm in General Golf Talk #1
I didn't have the heart to post this yesterday when it happened. It was an emotional day to say the least at the driving range.

First the emotional high of finally figuring out my swing and smashing drives, and seeing 99mph on my swing caddie! I couldn't wait to try out this new tweak of a swing on all my clubs. I was on cloud 9, so happy, couldn't wipe the smile off my face....

U3FuPWW.png

What happened just a few clubs later was the extreme opposite, emotional gut punch. My driving range has a slight ramp to it behind the mats, and there's very little flat space But i've always put my bag behind and never noticed (reference: I own one of those UA Armada Cart bags which i love) any issues. The day was a windy day, but I didn't even think anything of it--okay, that's a lie, a part of me thought of putting my bag next to where the balls/mat is, but i wanted to record this new swing from down the line view.......as I'm hitting hybrid, i commence downswing and.....BAM! My hybrid head goes FLYING into the range and i see the remains of my 3wood and Driver heads scattered around my mat. This is the end result. I guess a huge gust of wind came and toppled it just enough? Or did I hit it with my hybrid (but not my 3wood or driver) and just didn't notice?! Did my gf get karma revenge on me for rushing her out of the house so I could make it on time for a tee time?!?!

I still have not emotionally recovered....my these shafts rest in peace in golf heaven. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. So I'm sharing my story so others do not suffer the same--if you have a cart bag (no legs), then please, for the love of your clubs, be extremely careful where you place the bag!! Now I know why caddies on the tour put the bag lying down when on grassy areas. Was a very hard lesson to learn.

grHfv1Q.pngf9gCTkz.png

Comments

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Look on the bright side, perfect excuse to get some new sticks!
  • bamagatorbamagator Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Chin up! Easy fix...shaft replacements and you have new engines in your horses. Shop out some replacements and rock. Stuff happens....one of my motorcycles had a slow drop in the garage last week after the kickstand moved and I watched it. Pissed, cost me a few pennies to repair....repair done this week and rode it like a boss today. New shafts will make your sticks go farther man.
    Gamer Bag:
    Cobra F6+ Pro Driver 9.5 Deg, Cobra F6 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 5W Woods
    Titleist 990 3-PW Irons
    Vokey 52/08, 56/12 Wedges
    Odyssey Rossie ii Putter
    Snell MTB Ball (Black or Red)
  • shadymgshadymg Members Posts: 166 ✭✭
    Thanks fellas. And yeah once I was able to breathe and think clearly I realized all was not lost. My buddy said the same thing lol trying to get me to buy new clubs lol. But I'm not big on not budgeted purchases. So I got on the phone. Roger Dunn offered some sort of generic club but the way he described it, specifically no returns, made me nervous.

Conclusion: I went to Plaza golf and they hooked me up with the identical wood shaft (was actually for driver but they cut it down to size and gave me killer deal since it was a demo unit), a new Alta shaft for driver from the new ping series. Then I got lucky and found the identical shaft on eBay and the guy promised to ship priority today. I have a palm springs trip pga west next weekend so didn't have time to look at other shafts and I wanted to hopefully keep consistent feel to what I knew. All in the damage was $120, so I think i got extremely lucky!!
  • Maverick17Maverick17 Members Posts: 49 ✭✭
    “Honey, I need to talk. I work hard. Long hours, etc. I put in extra overtime to pay for the woods I’ve always wanted. Today at the range, look what happened. The shop looked at them and found them to be fakes which is why this happened. Worst part is, I paid full price. I got taken advantage of. I’m so depressed....I worked so hard to get these only to be found I got taken. I’m done golfing for good. Let’s go out to dinner tonight....I need to clear my head and forget this.”

If your wife/gf has any hint of a heart, you’ll have brand new woods to replace those in no time! 😁
    Taylormade SLDR 460 Tour Issue 9.5* w/Speeder 661 S
    Taylormade Rescue 11' TP 18* w/Aldila RIP 85 S
    Taylormade Rescue 11' TP 21* w/Aldila RIP 85 S
    Mizuno MP 57 3-pw w/ s300
    Cleveland Tour Action 588 TS 54* w/s300
    Cleveland Tour Action 588 TS 58* w/s300
    Taylormade Rossa Daytona Sport 1 35"
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,898 ✭✭
    jvincent wrote:

Like anyone on WRX needs an excuse...
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • bamagatorbamagator Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Don't put the bag in that spot again bro!...……………… Hit em strait
    Gamer Bag:
    Cobra F6+ Pro Driver 9.5 Deg, Cobra F6 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 5W Woods
    Titleist 990 3-PW Irons
    Vokey 52/08, 56/12 Wedges
    Odyssey Rossie ii Putter
    Snell MTB Ball (Black or Red)
  • brkuckbrkuck Members Posts: 1,619 ✭✭
    $120 isn't bad. Be happy that it could be a lot worse. Glad it worked out and you got them in time for the trip!
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 709 ✭✭
    My 6 iron head went flying onto the range the other day as I swung into a shot. I probably hit 150 balls and might have only hit 5 of them flush that day. This shot happened to be one of the 5, but it broke my 6 iron head off.

Fortunately, no-one was on the range so I walked out there and retrieved it. Now need to take it to my clubfitter friend to get fixed. I’m a little bummed because I’m going to have to buy a new shaft, but no big deal.

Breaking multiple clubs would stink, but I’d probably just use that as an excuse to buy new clubs.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • shadymgshadymg Members Posts: 166 ✭✭
    LeftDaddy wrote:

My 6 iron head went flying onto the range the other day as I swung into a shot. I probably hit 150 balls and might have only hit 5 of them flush that day. This shot happened to be one of the 5, but it broke my 6 iron head off.

Fortunately, no-one was on the range so I walked out there and retrieved it. Now need to take it to my clubfitter friend to get fixed. I'm a little bummed because I'm going to have to buy a new shaft, but no big deal.

Breaking multiple clubs would stink, but I'd probably just use that as an excuse to buy new clubs.

oh yeah, i forgot that detail of retrieving the head (the 5 bays were occupied with old white dudes), most noticed what happened and just felt bad for me. 2 old guys would not be stopped from hitting their balls. even when they saw me walking out to get my head (i thought they heard the other guys telling them MULTIPLE times to stop and let me get my head). Of course at that moment, all i cared about was my club head lol. #priorities
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,363 ✭✭
    shadymg wrote:

LeftDaddy wrote:

Fortunately, no-one was on the range so I walked out there and retrieved it. Now need to take it to my clubfitter friend to get fixed. I'm a little bummed because I'm going to have to buy a new shaft, but no big deal.

Breaking multiple clubs would stink, but I'd probably just use that as an excuse to buy new clubs.

oh yeah, i forgot that detail of retrieving the head (the 5 bays were occupied with old white dudes), most noticed what happened and just felt bad for me. 2 old guys would not be stopped from hitting their balls. even when they saw me walking out to get my head (i thought they heard the other guys telling them MULTIPLE times to stop and let me get my head). Of course at that moment, all i cared about was my club head lol. #priorities

Find a new range if guys wouldn't hold up practicing for a few minutes so you retrieved the heads. I would have had a few words with them and the range owner.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • PhreddyPhreddy Members Posts: 610 ✭✭
    Really sorry about your sticks. The only time I can recall breaking through 99 mph barrier it was with either two or four wheels under me.

Phred
    If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 924 ✭✭
    The horror, the horror....... the horror” Col Kurtz
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members Posts: 653 ✭✭
    I was once saw a guy trash his staff bag full of brand new Callaway clubs. He was so busy stashing beers in the cart he forgot to strap in the bag. Floored the cart and snapped off a few heads. Dumb azzzzzzz stuff.

• Big Oh!Big Oh! Knownuttin Members Posts: 51
    You are crafty Sir, I may use that myself!
    Driver - MizinoST-80 10.5 Degree
    Fairway - MIzuno ST180 15 and18 Degree
    Hybrid - Mizuno CLK Hybrid 22 Degree
    Irons - Mizuno - JPX-900 Hot Metal, 5 - PW
    Wedges - Mizuno S-18 50-56-60
    Putter - EVNROLL 1.2 Tour Blade
    Ball - Titleist AVX and Tour Soft
  • msh134msh134 Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited Mar 5, 2019 9:32am #16
    Sorry for your loss but there is a bright side to the story you were hitting your personal best before it happened. The golf gods were telling you it’s time for a reward of some new sticks
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,826 ✭✭
    3 heads with one pass has to be some sort of record

You're like the kung fu guys with wood planks

Be glad they weren't all $300 shafts and you were out a G note
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,641 ✭✭
    I recall reading a review on the UA Armada Bag - might have been at pluggedingolf.com or Seamus? They liked the bag overall but stated it was unstable when loaded. Regardless of the bag, it probably made no difference with the wind and slope issues.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,669 ClubWRX
    augustgolf wrote:

jvincent wrote:

Like anyone on WRX needs an excuse...

Exactly!
  • tonypizzletonypizzle Members Posts: 32 ✭✭
    oh god this is awful. im so sorry. RIP those clubs
  • bulls9999bulls9999 Members Posts: 696 ✭✭
    Ouch.... but guess what, it's a reason to get new toys!! I love a well-justified reason!! At least they're removable shafts....
    GHIN Index 13.8
  • sirukumasirukuma Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Tell the wife this is a sign these clubs have some bad ju-ju in them and it would be best to replace them quickly before it rubs off on the rest of the household.....
  • bulls9999bulls9999 Members Posts: 696 ✭✭
    Same reason my wife won't play with a 'found ball'..... says the fact it was lost has 'wayward ball' written all over it. image/tomato.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tomato:' />

sirukuma wrote:

Tell the wife this is a sign these clubs have some bad ju-ju in them and it would be best to replace them quickly before it rubs off on the rest of the household.....
    GHIN Index 13.8