G410 irons...took the leap

bamagolfbamagolf Members Posts: 170 ✭✭
I have been looking at a set of discounted Ping G irons in my local shop for a while. I went in this week and hit them on the simulator and thought they were OK. After that I hit the demo G410 and the difference was huge in both feel and distance. I went ahead and ordered the G410. They felt great and were consistently 10 yards longer than the G. Hey, you only live once right?
Ping G400 LST 10* (set at 9*)
Ping G400 3W 14.5*
Callaway GBB Heavenwood (set at 20*)
Callaway XR OS 5H, 6H, 7H
Ping G410 7-LW
TM Spider X 35"

Comments

• RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,073 ClubWRX
    As soon as the P790’s I have listed sell I’m getting some. I think they really look good. If they perform as advertised they will be a good match for me.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • MacklessdaddyMacklessdaddy Members Posts: 504 ✭✭
    Shafts? Specs? Tell us more
    Ping G 10.5 Kuro Kage
    Ping G 3W
    Callaway Apex 3 and 4 hybrids
    Taylormade SLDR 5-Gap
    Cleveland CBX 54 58
    Odyssey White Ice DART
  • BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,660 ✭✭
    I have always played blades or players CBs, but I have a real soft spot for the G series irons. Every time I hit some, I tell myself I should play them. I recently moved a bit closer to a set by going from my MP18s to a set of i500s. I really should take the plunge and go all the way to the G's.
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,721 ✭✭
    Had the Gs, felt hard and 'clicky'. Demoed the 410s and these are a lot better in feel, look, performance for me. Great sticks and will be a great seller this yr.! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw Nippon 105R
    S18 50, 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • bamagolfbamagolf Members Posts: 170 ✭✭

Shafts? Specs? Tell us more

Stiff flex steel shafts, black dot (standard) lie angle. I didn’t see a need for a lie adjustment right away.
    Ping G400 3W 14.5*
    Ping G410 7-LW
    TM Spider X 35"
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭
    image/smilie_ping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smilie_ping:' /> image/worth.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':worth:' /> image/smilie_ping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smilie_ping:' />

image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
    sdandrea wrote:

image/smilie_ping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smilie_ping:' /> image/worth.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':worth:' /> image/smilie_ping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smilie_ping:' />

sdandrea wrote:

I’ll post pics when I get them. The shop ordered them from Ping while I was there. They said 7 to 10 days on delivery. All they had on hand was the heads on the fitting cart.
    Ping G400 3W 14.5*
    Ping G410 7-LW
    TM Spider X 35"
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭
    I'm interested in the G410's as well. Waiting to see reviews on here. Better put, I"m waiting to see if folks are 'really happy' with them or 'BLOWN AWAY' by them after multiple rounds.
    Steele47 wrote:

I'm interested in the G410's as well. Waiting to see reviews on here. Better put, I"m waiting to see if folks are 'really happy' with them or 'BLOWN AWAY' by them after multiple rounds.

I’ll give my thoughts after I get mine on the course. I will keep it real on my reviews.
    Ping G400 3W 14.5*
    Ping G410 7-LW
    TM Spider X 35"
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭
    bamagolf wrote:

sdandrea wrote:

sdandrea wrote:

I’ll post pics when I get them. The shop ordered them from Ping while I was there. They said 7 to 10 days on delivery. All they had on hand was the heads on the fitting cart.

You're off the hook........................for now! image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • DFDLTDFDLT Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    I’m planning on i500’s at this point but haven’t seen the G410’s in person. I for sure am getting G410 woods and not sure I want all G410 clubs haha.
  • pstmstrpstmstr Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    My fitting was 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Hoping they show up soon.
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,256 ✭✭
    edited Feb 5, 2019 9:00pm #14
    Last Thursday night I decided I was going to get a set of 410's. Friday night I changed my mind and decided on giving the I500's a try. Sunday I ordered a set of used Iblades. Who knows what will be in the bag by the time I actually get to play this spring. image/crazy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':crazy:' /> Hope you love the G410's.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • jeffrey rjeffrey r Members Posts: 2,039 ✭✭
    bamagolf wrote:

I’ll give my thoughts after I get mine on the course. I will keep it real on my reviews.

In the history of WRX, 6 people have followed through on these "will report back" posts. Do not fail us. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Seriously though, congrats, and please do tell us what you think. I am a longtime G guy, but they never really seem to stick in my bag. Still have a set of G30's around. Didn't really like the G's or G400's.
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy Driver 13.5*, Diamana S+ 60 stiff
    Ping G400 SFT 3W and 5W, Alta CB 65 S
    Ping G400 3 and 5 Hybrids, Alta CB 70 S
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Irons 6-AW, Nippon Modus Tour 105 S
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal SW and LW, Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter 34"
    jeffrey r wrote:

bamagolf wrote:

In the history of WRX, 6 people have followed through on these "will report back" posts. Do not fail us. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Seriously though, congrats, and please do tell us what you think. I am a longtime G guy, but they never really seem to stick in my bag. Still have a set of G30's around. Didn't really like the G's or G400's.

I’ll try my best to give a real, unbiased review. I’m still waiting on the irons to arrive and also for the rains in the south to allow us to play some meaningful golf. I plan on being #7 on wrx to report back. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Ping G400 3W 14.5*
    Ping G410 7-LW
    TM Spider X 35"
  • pstmstrpstmstr Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    #8 here. Should be in any day now.
  • WoodersonWooderson Members Posts: 1,995 ✭✭
    When can shops release the clubs. Thursday or Friday. Thanks
    Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
    Ping G400 Max 9° Tour 65 Stiff
    Callaway Epic Flash 15°/18°
    Ping G410 22°
    Titleist 818 H1 25°
    G410 6-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth GW/SW
    Ping Eye2 LW
    Piretti Potenza
    They arrived today. I hope to put them in play this weekend. By far the best looking irons and wedges I’ve ever had in my opinion.
    Ping G400 3W 14.5*
    Ping G410 7-LW
    TM Spider X 35"
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 804 ✭✭
    bamagolf wrote:

They arrived today. I hope to put them in play this weekend. By far the best looking irons and wedges I've ever had in my opinion.

All the way through the LW, I like it (not sarcastic - I play the G25 through the SW).
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭
    Wow Bama! Way cool.. What shafts did you get? Apologize if you mentioned above. I need to reread.
    agolf1 wrote:

bamagolf wrote:

They arrived today. I hope to put them in play this weekend. By far the best looking irons and wedges I've ever had in my opinion.

All the way through the LW, I like it (not sarcastic - I play the G25 through the SW).

Thanks! I like the same look all the way through my irons and wedges. I’m not great with wedges and I feel it helps me some.
    Ping G400 3W 14.5*
    Ping G410 7-LW
    TM Spider X 35"
    Steele47 wrote:

Wow Bama! Way cool.. What shafts did you get? Apologize if you mentioned above. I need to reread.

Stiff flex steel. Nippon AWT 2.0
    Ping G400 3W 14.5*
    Ping G410 7-LW
    TM Spider X 35"
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 804 ✭✭
    bamagolf wrote:

agolf1 wrote:

bamagolf wrote:

Thanks! I like the same look all the way through my irons and wedges. I’m not great with wedges and I feel it helps me some.

I'm thinking about the LW if/when I pickup a set of G410s. I agree on the consistency/feel point, and the truth is I don't hit every wedge shot perfectly / I like whatever help is in these clubs.

However, I use the SW for pretty much everything from 30-95 yards. I really only use LW for little shots around the green where I don't have much to work with. I'm thinking I'd still like something less bulky here (Eye 2 XG/Gorge, Eye 2+, any Glide TS/ES/SS, etc) but we'll see.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • jclinegolfjclinegolf ClubWRX Posts: 329 ClubWRX
    bamagolf wrote:

They arrived today. I hope to put them in play this weekend. By far the best looking irons and wedges I’ve ever had in my opinion.

I’m still waiting on my set 4-UW, but seeing this picture makes me want to get the SW...
    Ping G400 LST 8.5* | Ping Tour 65X
    Cobra F6 13.5* | Accra FX 2.0 300F M5
    Nike Vapor Speed 19* | Kuro Kage 70X
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-AW) | DG X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 Tour Raw 55F | DG TI S400
    Cleveland RTG 2.0 Raw 60W | DG TI S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2
    Srixon Z-Star XV/TaylorMade TP5x
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 457 ✭✭
    bamagolf wrote:

They look mean.. Waiting for mine that are supposedly arriving at the beginning of next week.

I had the same set up with my G400s 5 to LW. Now I changed into 5 to PW and 50/54/58 Glide Stealth SS. Very excited
  • Lancj1Lancj1 Members Posts: 885 ✭✭
    I got fitted by my Club Pro a couple of weeks ago for 6 - UW, Green dot, +1/2", Alta Reg.

Ten Minutes after the start of my 12 hour shift on Wed he text to say they had arrived.....yesterday was work also, so Im down there at 9am to pick them up. Its cold and raining so down to the range today - which is correct actually. If the first hits a thinned 6 iron on the course its bad karma.

TechnicallyI guess if id have been off on Wed id have had them before release (UK)....I had an XR 16 a couple of days early a few years back! hero for a day image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Big change for me is graphite. Goy a touch more length, ball speed and height than my "old" clubs....G400 with AWT 2.0 Reg
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • Cheesehead42Cheesehead42 Members Posts: 673 ✭✭
    bamagolf wrote:
    Steele47 wrote:

Stiff flex steel. Nippon AWT 2.0

After seeing yours, I am even more anxious to get mine. I went 4-SW. I have a low bounce 60* MD wedge that I cannot replace. I typically hit full shots with my SW so wanted the forgiveness.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]WITB:[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PING G400 LST 8.5 Kuro Kage 60g X-Flex[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Px LZ 6.5 2 iron[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno MP18 MMC 3i-PW Modus3 120 X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno S18 Wedges: 49,53,59 Modus3 120 X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Custom Black Lab Flow Neck Putter[/font]
  • Green ValleyGreen Valley Members Posts: 770 ✭✭
    bamagolf wrote:

Reviews?

What irons are you coming from?
  • golftejasgolftejas Members Posts: 429 ✭✭
    Looking forward to the upcoming reviews, especially G410 feel and forgiveness comparisons to earlier G (I play G25), i500, and i210! I have an itch for the i210, but the last time I was fit the G series won out over the i series, with the deciding factor being dispersion. Spring demo season is always fun.

bamagolf wrote:

Reviews?

What irons are you coming from?

Apex CF16
    Ping G400 3W 14.5*
    Ping G410 7-LW
    TM Spider X 35"