G410 irons...took the leap

Comments

• sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2019 2:21pm #32
    bamagolf wrote:

They arrived today. I hope to put them in play this weekend. By far the best looking irons and wedges I’ve ever had in my opinion.

Thanks for posting the pics. Beauties! They look better in your bag than on the website. I like the finish.

Cobra F Max 10.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood
    Cobra Baffler 5H
    PING S57 7-W
    Cleveland CG15 52*, 56*
    Odyssey V Line

• tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking sticks. There was a definite buzz in the PING booth. They hit great on the sim. Still debating if I want to put them in play though.
    G410 9 Degree - Yonex Red
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Yonex Blue
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - UST Recoil
    G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • philly2kukphilly2kuk Members Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    golftejas wrote:
    Looking forward to the upcoming reviews, especially G410 feel and forgiveness comparisons to earlier G (I play G25), i500, and i210! I have an itch for the i210, but the last time I was fit the G series won out over the i series, with the deciding factor being dispersion. Spring demo season is always fun.

I’m also playing G25s and in the same boat looking at the same three clubs. The G25s are just so good.
    Taylormade M3 with Evenflow Blue
    Ping G 17.5° with Tour 80
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 22°
    Ping G25 4-PW
    Ping Tour W 50°
    Vokey SM7 56°/14° and 60°/10°
    Scotty Cameron T22 Newport
    Titleist Pro V1x

Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number.
  • BirdieRollBirdieRoll Members Posts: 372 ✭✭
    philly2kuk wrote:

golftejas wrote:
    Looking forward to the upcoming reviews, especially G410 feel and forgiveness comparisons to earlier G (I play G25), i500, and i210! I have an itch for the i210, but the last time I was fit the G series won out over the i series, with the deciding factor being dispersion. Spring demo season is always fun.

I’m also playing G25s and in the same boat looking at the same three clubs. The G25s are just so good.

I play the G25's as well. I think the biggest issue is that the 410's shafts are longer than the G25's. I don't need longer shafts so I'm hard pressed to get new irons just to have them cut down to the specs of the 25's.

Plus, I have to say it, I think the black/red color combination looks cheap.
  • bamagolfbamagolf Members Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    sdandrea wrote:

bamagolf wrote:

They arrived today. I hope to put them in play this weekend. By far the best looking irons and wedges I've ever had in my opinion.

Thanks for posting the pics. Beauties! They look better in your bag than on the website. I like the finish.

Yes I'm very pleased with the looks of the G410.
    Ping G400 LST 10* (set at 9*)
    Ping G400 3W 14.5*
    Callaway GBB Heavenwood 20*
    Ping G410 5-U
    Callaway 56* W Grind, 60* X Grind MD4, Sure Out 64*
    TM Spider X  35”
  • pstmstrpstmstr Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Mine came in today as well. Looks playable maybe Sunday afternoon and for sure Monday. They do hit plastic balls really nice around the house. 31 for a high here today.
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What I'm most curious about is to hear about the 4, 5 and 6 irons in terms of height achieved with those lofts. If they do indeed launch noticeably higher than other clubs with same loft then I will consider a 4 iron in the bag. But I'm thinking with those lofts I may just need 5-PW or thru UW.
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2019 4:49pm #39
    Steele47 wrote:

What I'm most curious about is to hear about the 4, 5 and 6 irons in terms of height achieved with those lofts. If they do indeed launch noticeably higher than other clubs with same loft then I will consider a 4 iron in the bag. But I'm thinking with those lofts I may just need 5-PW or thru UW.

There is no issue getting a G400 4 iron into the air, so I doubt there will be with the G410.

I went power spec on my 4 at 19*, gives me about 15-20 yards on my normal spec 5. Bought it primarily as a driving iron, but it’s easy to hit from the deck, even on a poor lie. The latest G irons go very high indeed as a set.

I’m debating getting some G410s too, but I don’t really need them, my G400s are going dreamily at the moment. But I do fancy some!
    Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Cleveland RTX4 54 MID
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3, Studio Stock #28 Slotback, Studio Stock #38 & BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    bamagolf wrote:

They arrived today. I hope to put them in play this weekend. By far the best looking irons and wedges I’ve ever had in my opinion.

Seeing pics like these makes me want to buy some right this minute!

Oh god, no. I can’t justify or afford it!
    Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Cleveland RTX4 54 MID
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3, Studio Stock #28 Slotback, Studio Stock #38 & BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
  • DFDLTDFDLT Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    I looked at them at Dick’s today. I think they look better in person.
  • NorthTXGolfNorthTXGolf Members Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    considering those or maybe the Mizuno JPX 919 Hot metal's as my next irons. Gonna go to my local PGA superstore and see if I can try them both
    PXG 0311XF 4-PW Modus Pro 120
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro
    Bettinardi BB1
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2019 5:54pm #43
    Another G25 guy here. Check sig.

I stopped by Dicks on the way home from work just to take a look. I don’t think my local shop has them in yet as they don’t have the buying power of Dicks.

I’ve got more than enough credit built up and the 410 are on the list. I’m thinking 5-P and going another route with the gap wedge but that’s not certain yet.
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U (coming soon = G410)
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    edited Feb 8, 2019 6:02pm #44
    My dilemma. I have G400 6-Uw and love them. They stay in Florida at our fall/winter home. My bag in VA is sitting empty and we'll be back there late April for the spring/summer. I have $700 in shop credit in VA. Do I buy another set of G400s or get the G410s? My only hesitation is the reduced offset of the G410.....I like offset.

Cobra F Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler 5H
    PING S57 7-W
    Cleveland CG15 52*, 56*
    Odyssey V Line

Cwing wrote:

I stopped by Dicks on the way home from work just to take a look. I don’t think my local shop has them in yet as they don’t have the buying power of Dicks.

I’ve got more than enough credit built up and the 410 are on the list. I’m thinking 5-P and going another route with the gap wedge but that’s not certain yet.

You go first C! If you get 'em, I'll bite!

Cobra F Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler 5H
    PING S57 7-W
    Cleveland CG15 52*, 56*
    Odyssey V Line

• Flat4BoxerFlat4Boxer Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2019 6:43pm #46
    I hit the 7 iron G410 vs my G700 7 iron yesterday, same shaft flex and all. The G410 was 2 ft higher on average and the spin rate was higher by an average of about 700 but the distances were exactly the same. Not enough for a normal person to make the switch, unless I find someone to make a decent offer on my barely used 700's, image/blink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> but still tempting on looks alone.
  • miles2gomiles2go Members Posts: 329 ✭✭✭✭
    Have played almost every G series from G2 to 30 at some point in the last 20 years. Switched to Callaway awhile back mostly out of boredom. These may bring me back to Ping. They look fantastic and less offset is a big plus for me.
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2019 7:59pm #48
    sdandrea wrote:

My dilemma. I have G400 6-Uw and love them. They stay in Florida at our fall/winter home. My bag in VA is sitting empty and we'll be back there late April for the spring/summer. I have $700 in shop credit in VA. Do I buy another set of G400s or get the G410s? My only hesitation is the reduced offset of the G410.....I like offset.

I like offset too. I'm thinking about getting the 7 iron - SW with the PowerSpec loft. Not that I want to hit the ball farther or lower, but I'd just like some of the offset reduction added back.

I'm interested in the longer irons here but I can't imagine they are any easier to hit than the G400s. In truth, with the loft creep over the years (no change this model but in general) the 4 iron, 5 iron, and even 6 iron are probably not well suited to most of the buyers of these (GI/SGI) clubs. I carry the G25 8 iron (36*) 150 yards, which is by no means big, but it is probably at least average among the users of this type of iron (9 index if that matters). In the G25s, the 5 iron (26*) is the questionable club for me. I can hit it fine on the fairway/tee box, but out of the rough or any sidehill/downhill lie or with pressure and the success rate really starts to drop. Hence, I am even hesitant about the 6 iron in the G410s (I've played the 6 iron in the G400s with the same mixed success as the G25 5 iron).
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • SteelheadSteelhead Orlando, FloridaClubWRX Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2019 10:02pm #49
    Flat4Boxer wrote:

I hit the 7 iron G410 vs my G700 7 iron yesterday, same shaft flex and all. The G410 was 2 ft higher on average and the spin rate was higher by an average of about 700 but the distances were exactly the same. Not enough for a normal person to make the switch, unless I find someone to make a decent offer on my barely used 700's, image/blink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> but still tempting on looks alone.

Made the move to Florida this winter with my 700s, coming from my beloved 718/AP1s I’m just not loving the 700s like I hoped I would. I’m an old G iron dog so these have my complete attention. Is it because they are new? Probably. Or maybe “Once a G iron guy always a G iron guy”? I’ll probably follow this thread long enough to talk myself into a set before too long:-)
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sdandrea wrote:

You know the answer 😉😉
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flat4Boxer wrote:

What about sound and feel?
  • JrhemmingJrhemming Members Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    I hit the 410 next to the 400 this last week and I thought the sound and feel of the 410 was way better. The 400 was louder clickier and not as soft feeling. I think the back of the 410 looks so much better too the 400 looked cheap to me.
  • philly2kukphilly2kuk Members Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sdandrea wrote:
    Cwing wrote:

You go first C! If you get 'em, I'll bite!

Yeah, I’m waiting to see if another G25 user switches before I consider it. Tried the G400 and still preferred my 25s so not expecting much!
    Taylormade M3 with Evenflow Blue
    Ping G 17.5° with Tour 80
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 22°
    Ping G25 4-PW
    Ping Tour W 50°
    Vokey SM7 56°/14° and 60°/10°
    Scotty Cameron T22 Newport
    Titleist Pro V1x

Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number.
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    lawsonman wrote:

Last Thursday night I decided I was going to get a set of 410's. Friday night I changed my mind and decided on giving the I500's a try. Sunday I ordered a set of used Iblades. Who knows what will be in the bag by the time I actually get to play this spring. image/crazy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':crazy:' /> Hope you love the G410's.

Had Iblades for about 3 weeks now.....very happy with my decision....especially now that I've found a shaft that fits properly
    Marco Colo wrote:

Flat4Boxer wrote:

What about sound and feel?

Feel was identical but the 700's do have that "ting" sound when you hit them just right which does not bother me at all.
  • hardtenhardten Members Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Flat4Boxer wrote:

Just got to ask one of the posters in this thread that mention looks of the 410 irons if they don’t see the cavity as being very busy and plastic looking? I have hit them and having owned 40 sets over the years of all makes and types including Pings from s56 to g30s I really liked the profile change and “build” of club but looks.? Probably grow on me but this crowd seems adverse to any colors in the cavity other than the bare metal which I understand.
    hardten wrote:

Flat4Boxer wrote:

Just got to ask one of the posters in this thread that mention looks of the 410 irons if they don’t see the cavity as being very busy and plastic looking? I have hit them and having owned 40 sets over the years of all makes and types including Pings from s56 to g30s I really liked the profile change and “build” of club but looks.? Probably grow on me but this crowd seems adverse to any colors in the cavity other than the bare metal which I understand.

I suppose they way clubs "look" is a subjective observation. To me they look great and personally like them over my 700's and, there are various other irons on the market that I prefer the looks of as well. My observation was only that to my eye, the 410's are preferable vs the 700 but performance wise they were identical for my skill level.
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Flat4Boxer wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something but if your ball striking is good enough that you only have a 2 foot difference between G700's and the 410's, why are you playing G series irons? You should be bagging blades up to a 2 iron!
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the 700's once in person and was a lil overwhelmed how large they looked plus the offset was quite a lot as well. I have yet to see the 410's in person but from what I can tell from the in hand pics the offset is not over the top (which is a plus imho)

Bama's pic of the 410's in the bag look fantastic as far as the finish is concerned so that's a plus as well.

Does anyone know if the 410 head length gets shorter as you move from the long irons to the short irons? Like the i25 was.
    edited Feb 9, 2019 9:12am #60
    lawsonman wrote:

Flat4Boxer wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something but if your ball striking is good enough that you only have a 2 foot difference between G700's and the 410's, why are you playing G series irons? You should be bagging blades up to a 2 iron!

Here's my thread about why i'm currently on the 700's.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1726500-g700-build-g700-off-the-shelf-or-rebuild-my-current-irons/
  • Chigolfer2Chigolfer2 Snap Hook Members Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    bamagolf wrote:

They arrived today. I hope to put them in play this weekend. By far the best looking irons and wedges I've ever had in my opinion.

Those wedges definitely look less clunky than the G400. I've only seen the 7 iron so far. Looking forward to see the entire set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file