USKG State Tournament in California

wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat SunflowerMembers Posts: 897 ✭✭
Heard this from another WRX'er this week that USKG was going to split California into a North and South state championship. Looks like they chose the same places as the last couple years when it used to be a single state championship. In 2017 it was in Stockton at Reserve at Spanos although some age kids played at another course (Swenson Park) and 2018 it was a Rio Hondo (I've never played there....dog track?).

Kind of strange I suppose. Works for us this year because we had planned on it being in NorCal (skipped going down to Rio Hondo last year).

So what brought this on? Money grab? Demand driven? USKG knows something about the California political climate image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> ?

http://www.uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/state/find-tournament/2019-schedule

Comments

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    edited Feb 2, 2019 8:20pm #2
    wildcatden wrote:

Heard this from another WRX'er this week that USKG was going to split California into a North and South state championship. Looks like they chose the same places as the last couple years when it used to be a single state championship. In 2017 it was in Stockton at Reserve at Spanos although some age kids played at another course (Swenson Park) and 2018 it was a Rio Hondo (I've never played there....dog track?).

Kind of strange I suppose. Works for us this year because we had planned on it being in NorCal (skipped going down to Rio Hondo last year).

So what brought this on? Money grab? Demand driven? USKG knows something about the California political climate image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> ?

http://www.uskidsgol...t/2019-schedule

Rio Hondo is a great course. Most of the time it's in great shape but we've played a couple events there when it wasn't at its best. That being said, they are really junior friendly (shout out to Greg, Steve, Scott, Suzy and Robbie) and they take care of the kids really well. I've been there for many, many junior events and even a couple company scrambles and always had fun. Yeah, it's not in the best neighborhood but you are only about 18 miles from Disney so it can be made into more of a family event.

I'd say for sure it's a money grab but both events will fill up regardless.

And if anything, Swenson was a complete dog track in my opinion.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 180 ✭✭
    edited Feb 3, 2019 12:03am #3
    Looks like the schedule is out already.

Thumbs down to US Kids for diluting the field. NorCal state is just another Bay Area Local tour now. Booo~~~

I don't see Texas or Florida being split apart.

As for the reason for the split, perhaps someone from the south can chime in, as I heard the idea came out of there. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    mrshinsa wrote:

Thumbs down to US Kids for diluting the field. NorCal state is just another Bay Area Local tour now. Booo~~~

As for the reason for the split, perhaps someone from the south can chime in, as I heard the idea came out of there. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

None of the top SoCal kids play the NorCal event. No reason to travel when there's better local stuff.

• darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    mrshinsa wrote:

Texas won't because overall the fields are not big enough not nearly as big as the California fields heck they took our regional away this year. (lots of drama with that resort don't think they like kids). Last year at our regional was all the same kids from our local tour at least in a few divisions.

As always comes down to money, if they can 2x the kids to play then why not. Whats next east and west cost worlds?
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,067 ✭✭
    edited Feb 3, 2019 6:34pm #6
    A lot you don’t have kids old enough for other tours. Once you kid gets older like 11-12 US kids loses it appeal a lot. There are just too many great tours out there better or should I really say cost effective. Some tournaments out there are a truly overpriced.

Now that I have an older younger playing I really only see the value for my 8 year old in playing US kids. I think US Kids is great to start them off because the holes are short and you can have a cart in between holes which is great for younger kids. Plus it fun for little kids to play them.

The thing is US Kids is really pricy events for 9 holes and sort a rip off for regional and world 9 hole events. So yes this is a money grab but they will be full.

Goal is train youngest to play without caddie as soon as I can so she no longer has to play US kids events when she is old enough.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,927 ClubWRX
    That's too bad. We've only played in 1 State and it was at Rio Hondo. For a muni, I like the course a lot. Like Leezer said, both events will fill up, but the better competition will be at Rio. image/to_become_senile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':to_become_senile:' />
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 897 ✭✭
    Perhaps the winners of each age group can meet in Fresno or Bakersfield for a match play to decide the State Champion? image/yess.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yess:' />
    wildcatden wrote:

Perhaps the winners of each age group can meet in Fresno or Bakersfield for a match play to decide the State Champion? image/yess.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yess:' />

No offense but Bakersfield has the worst air pollution in the state and smells like cow s*** six months of the year.

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 897 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

wildcatden wrote:

No offense but Bakersfield has the worst air pollution in the state and smells like cow s*** six months of the year.

I guess DeChambeau will be hosting in Fresno. image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,076 ✭✭
    edited Feb 4, 2019 7:18pm #11
    leezer99 wrote:

wildcatden wrote:

Just six months? image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> Thought it was all year!