ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better. Link to full post HERE

Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Bought a Huge Stash of Older Balls

flip flappyflip flappy Advanced Members Posts: 878 ✭✭
A friend of mine called me the other night to tell me about a guy on OfferUp selling a huge amount of golf balls. The seller estimated between 4400-4600 balls and was asking $100 for them all. I ended up getting them and upon unloading them, did a little checking on what I had. He had them sorted out by brand although we did dump several boxes into a big bin I brought along. They look to be balls from around 2004- 2011. I love older Nike balls and found a few Nike One Tour's and Tour D's. Several Nike One Platinum, Black &Gold. There is a good supply of Callaway balls and huge amount of Maxfli's, Top Flight, Pinnacle, Taylor Made and Wilson balls. The Titleist's had been picked over and just a few Pro V's. No big deal. I really just bought them to have a good supply to practice with at my house in what was our old pasture that I now keep mowed like my lawn. My question is what balls from this era were the most desirable for each brand?
Ping G400 Max 10.5
Cobra Baffler T Rail 3 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Ping B65 Cadence

Comments

• augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCAdvanced Members Posts: 3,881 ✭✭
    Loved the Nike Black - played it over Titleist offerings.
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • DBillDBill Advanced Members Posts: 1,102 ✭✭
    Taylormade TP Red.
  • citizenforecitizenfore Advanced Members Posts: 323 ✭✭
    If you find any Maxfli c3’s those are sweet (3 piece urethane ball).
    Modern bag:
    Nike vr str8 fit tour set at 11
    Ping rapture v2 4 wood
    Nike vr_s 3 and 4 hybrids
    Maltby mmb 5-pw
    Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
    Rotating door of putters

Sunday/quick nine walker:
    Callaway warbird deuce 2 wd
    Callaway warbird 4 wd
    Hogan apex pro 4-E
    Ping eye 2 W and S
    Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
    Palmer Chattanooga driver
    Hogan Slotline 4 wd
    Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
    Same ping eye 2 sw
    Wilson professional 600 putter
  • flip flappyflip flappy Advanced Members Posts: 878 ✭✭
    edited February 3

If you find any Maxfli c3's those are sweet (3 piece urethane ball).
    Thanks for the info! I heard a guy years ago mention a Maxfli ball that he really liked but was discontinued. I could not remember what is was. I will sort through to see if I can find some.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5
    Ping B65 Cadence
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Advanced Members Posts: 880 ✭✭

If you find any Maxfli c3's those are sweet (3 piece urethane ball).

FYI, the C3 was a rebadged 2007 TP Red. Note the prior version to the famous TP Red LDP ball.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • BB28403BB28403 Advanced Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭
    Hoarding is a fun hobby image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Advanced Members Posts: 880 ✭✭
    My stash probably has a similar number of balls (4000). I still have dozens of balls made in 2000 including original Pro V1. I would have more except I donated 1000 balls to my old HS years ago for the kids to use in practice. They were brand new urethane balls from 2005-2010 era.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • playaplaya Advanced Members Posts: 8,689 ✭✭
    Is that a misprint or did you really get over 4 thousand balls? I can't imagine that many balls, or how much he would have paid for them to let them go for a hundred bucks.
  • GreenieGreenie Advanced Members Posts: 3,505 ✭✭
    augustgolf wrote:

Loved the Nike Black - played it over Titleist offerings.

Yea me too. I still have 6doz new Nike Blacks in my golf ball hoard. I think a Bridgestone ball left them collecting dust in my basement when I moved on.

My stash probably has a similar number of balls (4000). I still have dozens of balls made in 2000 including original Pro V1. I would have more except I donated 1000 balls to my old HS years ago for the kids to use in practice. They were brand new urethane balls from 2005-2010 era.

That was a very generous donation, back in 2000 balls were much more expensive relative to today. I remember here in Australia the first ProVs being about $55-60 a dozen, which would equate to about $100 now.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Advanced Members Posts: 7,055 ✭✭
    playa wrote:

Is that a misprint or did you really get over 4 thousand balls? I can't imagine that many balls, or how much he would have paid for them to let them go for a hundred bucks.

I’m betting the owner was a “picker”. Usually an older guy that lives on a golf course and likes to take walks around the course when it’s slow and find balls like finding easter eggs. It can be a fun way to pass the time finding little gems all over the course......until you have 4000 and you realize you actually need to do something with them. ; )
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, 60-14(at 61) stealth, All wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag

playa wrote:

I’m betting the owner was a “picker”. Usually an older guy that lives on a golf course and likes to take walks around the course when it’s slow and find balls like finding easter eggs. It can be a fun way to pass the time finding little gems all over the course......until you have 4000 and you realize you actually need to do something with them. ; )

Yeah, could be. I knew a guy who had a property adjoining a golf course and he would collect tons of balls, both from errant shots and crows dropping them. He once gave me a bag of 50 or so balls that he collected over a couple weeks.
  • flip flappyflip flappy Advanced Members Posts: 878 ✭✭
    playa wrote:

Not a misprint. I asked him how he ended up with that many balls and he said he and his son would buy them at yard sales and sell them on eBay. He even at one time had a ball cleaner/washer that could clean 10,000 balls at a time. They kind of got tired of messing with it and the stash had been sitting in his garage for a while. He said his wife informed him they had to go if he had to give them away. The guy had a great sense of humor and was quite interesting. Said he had bought a house at a yard sale once!
    Ping G400 Max 10.5
    Ping B65 Cadence
  • SkullerSkuller Members Posts: 29
    I have about 3 to 4k balls sitting downstairs... I would love to have someone give me a Bennie to haul them off...
  • BB28403BB28403 Advanced Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭
    edited February 4
    playa wrote:

Not a misprint. I asked him how he ended up with that many balls and he said he and his son would buy them at yard sales and sell them on eBay. He even at one time had a ball cleaner/washer that could clean 10,000 balls at a time. They kind of got tired of messing with it and the stash had been sitting in his garage for a while. He said his wife informed him they had to go if he had to give them away. The guy had a great sense of humor and was quite interesting. Said he had bought a house at a yard sale once!

Ok this is a for real story because that wife part is hitting the bulls eye !
  • HabrownleeHabrownlee Habrownlee Members Posts: 40
    I live on course and about once a week I walk number8 for exercise. Last year I donated 1000 balls to the juniors through their coach. He insisted on giving me a receipt for a dollar a ball for my taxes. I have 4 5 gallon buckets of pro v1 in my shop. I soak the dirty ones in bleach water and they come sparkling clean. That’s what I play with and gave to friends for Christmas. Gallon bags of pro v1 balls
  • rusty380rusty380 Members Posts: 68
    My partners parents live just off a golf course, walk their dogs along an OOB line and through some adjacent woods that are danger zones on the course.

He has thousands tucked away from over the past 20-30 years in an outbuilding, he gave me a bucket which I offloaded to my dad as they weren't much use for practice or collecting.

He owns a scrapyard so spent a few weeks over summer, smashing them from his boundary into the adjacent farmers field (his friend). He'd then collect on an evening and repeat over the next few days.

For nostalgia I did pull out some old Callaway HX Blue's and Reds. I remember using them as a junior around 2005 along with Precepts and the old Hogan balls. I only found a couple but did wonder if any of them could have been mine from all those years ago and stashed away (as he lives just off the course i used to play at for about 10 years or so).
  • HabrownleeHabrownlee Habrownlee Members Posts: 40
    I just cleaned a bucket. Ended up with 33 pro v1 27 callaway balls and 12 TaylorMade’s. I saved those and added the other 100 or so to the junior golf bin. I enjoy the hunt. Lol
  • TruvisChromeSoftTruvisChromeSoft Members Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Anyone who wants to turn thousands of balls into cash, let me know.

Skuller wrote:

I have about 3 to 4k balls sitting downstairs... I would love to have someone give me a Bennie to haul them off...

PM me