Could Augusta National Have a Local Rule Banning Leaving the Pin In?

Comments

• turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Posts: 12,779 ClubWRX
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

kevcarter wrote:

Does anybody really think Fred Ridley is going to turn his back on the USGA?

LOL, no and not just because he has a lot of good reasons to support the USGA. USGA is one of the founding partners of Drive, Chip & Putt, both AN and USGA involved in other initiatives over the years.

👍👍👍
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,680 ✭✭
    Augusta are all about preserving the history of the game. Leaving the flag is is as original golf rules as you can get.
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 4,994 ✭✭
    This so important
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,259 ✭✭
    I hope the bring back the stymie.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • OutBackHackOutBackHack Members Posts: 910 ✭✭
    Well the answer to your question is yes.

So can we shut this thread down please....
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,680 ✭✭

Not correct. The only way they can say they’re going to prohibit leaving the flag in is if they say they’re not going to play by the USGA rules. A local rule CANNOT be made about the flagstick if they’re playing by USGA rules.
  • wfrogge1wfrogge1 Members Posts: 1,192 ✭✭
    Absolutely they could
  • xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,673 ✭✭
    Local cannot supercede a rule of golf.
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard Members Posts: 2,178 ✭✭
    wfrogge1 wrote:

Absolutely they could

Anyone can make their own changes to the Rules. Then of course, you are not playing Golf. Just a game that resembles it.
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,567 ✭✭

Silly me.

The OP's use of the phrase "Local Rule" made me think he was talking about the Masters playing the tournament by the Rules of Golf.

My bad. image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,736 ✭✭
    Honestly, angc not standing by usga rule changes? aren't most of the usga top execs both now in the past, angc members?
  • tyorke1tyorke1 Members Posts: 2,220 ✭✭
    Ill make early prediction no flags .
    m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s ,
    m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x ,
    818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
    taylor p790 17 degree
    callaway apex pro c-taper stiff 
    vokey 52--56--60
    taylormade spider tour dj version
    epic green staff bag or titleist cart bag
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,262 ✭✭
    mjen43 wrote:

Sure they can.

No, they can't if they want to play by the rules. Local rules are defined by the USGA.
  • CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members Posts: 2,102 ✭✭
    “In order to ensure that play is conducted in accordance with the Rules of Golf, a Committee must not use a Local Rule to waive or modify the Rules of Golf simply because it might prefer a Rule to be different.”
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,567 ✭✭
    tyorke1 wrote:

Ill make early prediction no flags .

No flags what ?

And for my 2nd question, if you mean the Masters will NOT allow the players to leave the flagstick in while putting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, got ca$h ??? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,852 ✭✭
    By all means the Augusta National could impose a local rule for the tournament but, I doubt it will stand out as the one against the U.S.G.A. newly changed rules.

Why, the local rules should have merit for being placed, not just out of disagreement with the sanctioning body. This will not be the battle ground the club will pick to make a stand.
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,492 ✭✭
    Flags in concrete.
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • MudguardMudguard Members Posts: 1,263 ✭✭
    I couldn't see any serious tournament doing something so drastic. The USGA and R&A would simply remove the tournament from Order of Merits, World Rankings etc, so the tournament could certainly exist and the winner would get a jacket and prize money but it would no longer be a major (the debate on how a tournament is actually a major is another discussion) and therefore become less attractive to players.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,669 ClubWRX
    Mudguard wrote:

I couldn't see any serious tournament doing something so drastic. The USGA and R&A would simply remove the tournament from Order of Merits, World Rankings etc, so the tournament could certainly exist and the winner would get a jacket and prize money but it would no longer be a major (the debate on how a tournament is actually a major is another discussion) and therefore become less attractive to players.

I think'ths Masters can pretty much do whatever they want without ever jeopardizing their status. The USGA ands R &A don’t determine what is a major, and it won’t ever get less attractive to the players.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • maamoldmaamold Matt Aamold Members Posts: 178 ✭✭

Why would they possibly care?

Because leaving the pin in is a measured advantage.
  • wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,494 ✭✭
    Club Guru wrote:

1. Augusta could use pins that aren’t conducive to keeping them in for putts if they want to negate this awful rule.

2. I may puke if I see someone win the masters this year with a putt on 18 that clanks in off the flag stick.

Weak stomach?
  • maamoldmaamold Matt Aamold Members Posts: 178 ✭✭
    Club Guru wrote:

1. Augusta could use pins that aren’t conducive to keeping them in for putts if they want to negate this awful rule.

2. I may puke if I see someone win the masters this year with a putt on 18 that clanks in off the flag stick.

That's a great point, Augusta could just change to pins with a larger lower portion, one large enough that the ball has no chance of going in the hole if it's left in.
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,371 ✭✭
    maamold wrote:

Club Guru wrote:

That's a great point, Augusta could just change to pins with a larger lower portion, one large enough that the ball has no chance of going in the hole if it's left in.

The fans patrons just hate chip ins, dunks from the fairway...and even more, those annoying hole-in-ones on 16! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,494 ✭✭
    maamold wrote:

Why would they possibly care?

Because leaving the pin in is a measured advantage.

To whom?
  • mjen43mjen43 Members Posts: 939 ✭✭
    edited Feb 4, 2019 12:00am #56

mjen43 wrote:

Sure they can.

No, they can't if they want to play by the rules. Local rules are defined by the USGA.

Rules as defined by the USGA. The USGA doesn’t own golf though so i wouldn’t have a problem if they wanted to play by different rules, which is certainly something AN could do.
  • mjen43mjen43 Members Posts: 939 ✭✭
    SNIPERBBB wrote:

wfrogge1 wrote:

Absolutely they could

Anyone can make their own changes to the Rules. Then of course, you are not playing Golf. Just a game that resembles it.

What game is football? Youth, high school, NCAA, NFL, CFL?

What game is basketball? Youth, high school, NCAA, Euro, NBA?

What is baseball? Youth, high school, NCAA, MLB?

All other sports have different rule subsets and I think most would consider it them all to be the same sport. I don’t see why golf has to play by the same rules for every level or event. It would still be golf if AN made some rule improvements, the USGA doesn’t own golf.

• PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,379 ✭✭
    They could just make the sticks bigger...

R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,669 ClubWRX
    To those saying they can’t do it (or worse, then they’re not playing golf, what a crock), guess what. If they were to announce they were playing it that way, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, NONE, players are going to say, “well, then I’m not playing”. And whoever wins it, they’re counting it as major win.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • OufcfanOufcfan Banbury, Oxfordshire , EnglandMembers Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited Feb 4, 2019 5:27am #60
    And zero players are going to stay away if they continue to use the actual rules of golf.

Thankfully, there is absolutely no chance of Augusta deciding that they will unilaterally change the rules of the game just for their tournament.

Why on earth would they even want to?

Maybe they can use the rules that my old club used to have on the captain’s charity day, using a piece of string and allowing a kick, a throw and a mulligan .....it’s still golf, right?
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members Posts: 566 ✭✭
    edited Feb 4, 2019 6:11am #61
    Well if Augusta want to get ridiculous with local rules... I watched Chess boxing for the first time recently. Some German guy look a few good shots from a Russian and then made a terrible move to give away his queen and lose the game.

Golf boxing you leave the pin in and play 2 holes then box one round with a playing partner and repeat. I can think of a few fun pairings like Sergio with Koepka and Reed with Rahm.
    Post edited by Unknown User on