Not a good start for Paul Azinger

Comments

• duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,011 ✭✭
    edited Feb 3, 2019 7:50pm #32
    Wildwing55 wrote:

munichop wrote:

I agree that he appeared to root for Fowler.

Which was the point of my post. Many fan boys came on to show distemper, as they do. But the point of being an announcer is what I said, above. You are one of the few who have caught it. Being an announcer is not easy, but you have to remember who you are. As an announcer, you do not express a preference for a winner.

Of course, some of the fan boys here will still be in a lather. Over what, who knows, and probably temporary.

No broadcaster needs you to reveal the magical secrets of announcing. And going multiple times to the completely spurious 'fanboy' strawman shows how incredibly weak your argument - charitably calling it such - is.

He's just another talking head, like the last one and the next one, golf coverage will incredibly carry on.
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,518 ✭✭
    Wildwing55 wrote:

I know it's tough taking over for Johnny Miller. But:

Paul, you are an announcer, not a cheerleader. The Phoenix is not over yet, but from the beginning, you were pretty much begging for Fowler to win the tournament. You would hate to see him blow that big a lead, etc, etc, hope he pulls it out, etc.

Get this, and get it good. Your job is not to root for any player, no matter how popular he is, and no matter how big a lead he has going into the final round. Your job is to call the action as you see it, from a player's prospective. You didn't do that today.

Not an easy job, is it? But learn, and be more objective than you were today, no matter how this one turns out.

I’m certain Paul is hangin on your every word:)

That being said, dude has no energy and I was very surprised they went w Azinger.
  • Mr. HoganMr. Hogan Members Posts: 1,336 ✭✭

bscinstnct wrote:

Looks like the top of Don Kings head!

Ok, ok, not bad

Actually think he may catch some flack for that one

Why?
    USGA - Unusually Stupid Governance Association
  • mukstermukster Is this the year? North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,496 ✭✭
    Azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzinger
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood, Tensei Blue shaft
    Nickent 3D 3 hybrid, generic shaft
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • Wildwing55Wildwing55 Members Posts: 287 ✭✭

Wildwing55 wrote:

Paul, you are an announcer, not a cheerleader. The Phoenix is not over yet, but from the beginning, you were pretty much begging for Fowler to win the tournament. You would hate to see him blow that big a lead, etc, etc, hope he pulls it out, etc.

Get this, and get it good. Your job is not to root for any player, no matter how popular he is, and no matter how big a lead he has going into the final round. Your job is to call the action as you see it, from a player's prospective. You didn't do that today.

Not an easy job, is it? But learn, and be more objective than you were today, no matter how this one turns out.

I'm certain Paul is hangin on your every word:)

That being said, dude has no energy and I was very surprised they went w Azinger.

Yep, agree with both your statements. Not sure this was NBC's best choice. A Ryder Cup or President's Cup Captain, yes. An announcer, I'm not so sure. But, this is the decision they made.

And, of course, the fan boys will continue to sling arrows, as they do. It's OK. I don't mind it.
  • FredWombleFredWomble Members Posts: 504 ✭✭
    Not a fan, either. Doesn't add anything to the broadcast, and as others have included he's just boring IMO.
    Cobra F9 9, Fujikura Atmos 6s
    Cobra F8 with Aldila NV Blue 70 S
    Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5
    Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 5-6, MMC 7-P Aerotech Steelfiber i80 S
    Scratch 1018 KBS 53 and 56
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60
    Yes! Mollie, Nicky 

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,748 ✭✭
    I liked azinger. And Johnnie would have been pulling for Rickie too. Same same.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,832 ✭✭
    mukster wrote:

Azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzinger
    Ya got a case of bad gas ?
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,609 ✭✭
    have never liked zinger's commentary, though it doesn't matter when i'm watching golf ... it's just hard to hear someone who thinks they're funny/clever when they're not ...
  • Ronnie MundtRonnie Mundt Members Posts: 117 ✭✭
    We are gonna knock on Zinger for rooting for Fowler? Oh come on. How can you not root for Fowler. Every **** player not named Branden Grace was rooting for Fowler, and I’m pretty sure Grace was graceful in defeat.
  • dbleagdbleag Members Posts: 2,876 ✭✭
    Azinger was very disappointing when he worked for Fox Sports over the past few years.

He couldn't pronounce many player's names and, while some are difficult, it's his job as a professional to learn them. I thought I heard a few mispronunciations today.

He shouldn't try to imitate Johnny Miller, that's not what I expect - he should bring some kind of player perspective to the job.

I always liked him as a player, though.
  • AG12AG12 Members Posts: 597 ✭✭
    I like Azinger seems to have good players mentality
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist 818H2 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    PING i210 4-UW Project X LZ 120
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 56*SS
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60* ATV
    Taylormade Spider X Navy 
    TaylorMade TP5
    WITB
  • Crazy About GolfCrazy About Golf Members Posts: 221 ✭✭
    wfrogge1 wrote:
    I couldn’t stand Johnny Miller and his constant “when I played in 1974” comments myself. Kind of enjoying Zinger today

Did you know Miller shot 63 at the US Open???????
    Cobra F9 Speedback 8 degree, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 in 6.5
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 12.5 degree, Aldila Tour ATX-75 in x-flex
    Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder in x-flex
    Mizuno MP18 3-PW, Dynamic Gold x-100
    Mizuno T7 52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
    Bobby Grace 18 Blade putter
    ​Titleist Pro-V1
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭
    It is never an easy start when you have a strong grip like Azinger.
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members Posts: 5,105 ✭✭
    Be happy, they also considered Chamblee...
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members Posts: 566 ✭✭
    edited Feb 4, 2019 6:28am #47

Be happy, they also considered Chamblee...

• jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 684 ✭✭
    Could be my imagination, but azinger asked bones something about Mickelson, there was an awkward silence, then I don't remember hearing from bones the rest of the day?
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,518 ✭✭
    edited Feb 4, 2019 7:23am #49
    jmkenn0 wrote:

Could be my imagination, but azinger asked bones something about Mickelson, there was an awkward silence, then I don't remember hearing from bones the rest of the day?

Wow. Yes, thought it was just me or that the broadcast got cut off but I heard the same. Almost like bones was saying “not gonna touch that one” and then dead air.
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,234 ✭✭
    I thought he was fine.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members Posts: 2,102 ✭✭
    How many cans of Cheese Whiz was Zinger able to consume during the telecast? This will be his true test of greatness.
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Members Posts: 847 ✭✭
    I think it’s a rough go with Azinger. That being said I’m not sure who a better choice would be. His missing putts on one side of the hole kept coming up with JT and than he brought it up with another golfer saying he did it 8-9 times and than immediately saying well maybe not that many. His commentary is more irritating than anything. Poor choice.
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,419 ✭✭
    Wildwing55 wrote:

munichop wrote:

I agree that he appeared to root for Fowler.

Which was the point of my post. Many fan boys came on to show distemper, as they do. But the point of being an announcer is what I said, above. You are one of the few who have caught it. Being an announcer is not easy, but you have to remember who you are. As an announcer, you do not express a preference for a winner.

Of course, some of the fan boys here will still be in a lather. Over what, who knows, and probably temporary.

Was this written on a certain tablet that didnt make it off of a certain mountain because it certainly isnt written in stone anywhere that i know of. if youve watched golf telecasts for more than five minutes you can pick up on the announcers pulling for certain people. ****, the networks they work for do it openly. Maybe a cocktail before posting next time?

bscinstnct wrote:

Ok, ok, not bad

in todays ultasensitve SJW world you can take that to the bank.
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 586 ✭✭
    Azinger was terrible on Fox, and he’s terrible on NBC.

But not because of a perceived Rickie bias. Azinger was just parroting what most everyone watching was thinking. I think most people were rooting for Rickie in that situation because:

(a) he had played phenomenal golf for 54 holes;

(b) conditions were tough and no one wants a tournament decided by conditions over skill;

(c) he got a mind-boggling bad break that could have easily sent him on a downward spiral, but he maintained his composure and kept fighting back (how about that 1 putt after the double penalty?)

Azinger is there to provide color commentary, not the play-by-play. He’s supposed to bring some perspective and emotion. And while I generally dislike the content of his commentary (arrogance, incorrect assumptions, etc.), I think the small amount of cheerleading on this day was warranted.

But if he says “straight as train smoke” again, I may go insane and do something crazy!

like fire off a politely worded email to some faceless corporate drone with zero power at NBC requesting that they please consider looking into finding a new, more qualified analyst. Thank you.
    TaylorMade M6 - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    TaylorMade M4 3 Wood - KuroKage 70
    TaylorMade M4 3 Hybrid - KuroKage 80
    TaylorMade P790 4-PW - Nippon Modus 120
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 51
    TaylorMade HiToe 56/60 - Nippon Modus 120
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    dbleag wrote:

Azinger was very disappointing when he worked for Fox Sports over the past few years.

He couldn't pronounce many player's names and, while some are difficult, it's his job as a professional to learn them. I thought I heard a few mispronunciations today.

He shouldn't try to imitate Johnny Miller, that's not what I expect - he should bring some kind of player perspective to the job.

His personality can be very similar to Millers so you may be disappointed.
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 586 ✭✭
    buckeyefl wrote:

dbleag wrote:

His personality can be very similar to Millers so you may be disappointed.

Yep. This is the problem.
    TaylorMade M6 - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    TaylorMade M4 3 Wood - KuroKage 70
    TaylorMade M4 3 Hybrid - KuroKage 80
    TaylorMade P790 4-PW - Nippon Modus 120
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 51
    TaylorMade HiToe 56/60 - Nippon Modus 120
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,234 ✭✭
    buckeyefl wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Ok, ok, not bad

in todays ultasensitve SJW world you can take that to the bank.

I thought the Don King thing was funny.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • iKOH423iKOH423 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    I didn't think he was that bad. Forgive my ignorance but how many tournaments on Fox did he commentate for? I think he will find his groove the more broadcasts he does. I would like to think he would approach this as a craft and work to get better.

I am also curious who else would be a better person for this position? Duval?
    Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 Deg.
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 15 Deg
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic 3 19 Deg.
    Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 4-AW
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Forged Wedges 56/60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 18' Select Newport 2
  • ExTrumpetExTrumpet Members Posts: 473 ✭✭
    Man, some of y'all complain about bias and not giving a player's perspective, and then others complain about him talking about himself--a player on the biggest stage.

I like Zinger, but I wish Miller would have waited an extra day to retire...could have heard all kinds of "choke" comments because there was a lot of it from a lot of guys.
    Ping K15 10.5, Aldila NV65 X
    Titleist 904F, Aldila NV85 S
    Ping G20 17* Hybrid
    Ping K15 4 Hybrid
    Ping S56 5-W
    Ping Tour-S Rustique 50, 54
    Ping Glide ES 60
    Ping B60 BeCu
  • wobgonwobgon Members Posts: 7,494 ✭✭
    Wildwing55 wrote:

Get this and get it good??? image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />