Is Rickie a closer now???

Comments

• CattyCatty AustraliaMembers Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I like Rickie. Was backing him today, but if he wins a major it’s becuae someone else loses it.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist D905
    Titleist Tour Model 2 thru PW
    Titleist Vokey 52, 56
    Scotty Cameron Newport
    [/font]
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,834 ✭✭
    Rickie has been a closer since his TPC title. That was some golf he displayed winning the TPC title and he showed grit today.
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
    edited Feb 3, 2019 11:01pm #34
    Catty wrote:

I like Rickie. Was backing him today, but if he wins a major it’s becuae someone else loses it.

Yep..for the most part, that's how he wins any event.
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
    mosesgolf wrote:

Rickie has been a closer since his TPC title. That was some golf he displayed winning the TPC title and he showed grit today.

Closing implies you're in the doorway, not outside. In the doorway is a metaphor for leading...he didn't close the player's. He won it. Very different mindset winning while in front than winning while chasing...
  • turtlekcturtlekc 1995 MN PGA WisconsinClubWRX Posts: 12,779 ClubWRX
    Rickie handled a lot of adversity with CLASS today.
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers Posts: 6,449 ✭✭
    getitdaily wrote:

rkelso184 wrote:

if his second ball didn't roll into the water he would have dropped 2 shots sitting at -1. Also, who knows how the rest of the round would have played out.

At what point does everyone stop and think...

Pouring rain, No good scores recorded for the day, A drop that then fell away a second time and the slow play all day NON of which I feel is a reflection of his game? He won and pulled 2 birdies when counted. I think he has done well and to turn around from that 7 speaks volume!

If he didn't chip it over the green into the water then he wouldn't have had to drop on a slope...

If he had taken more club from the rough, he might have reached the green in two.

Someone else’s turn...

Seriously, I’m glad he recovered and won!

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,195 ✭✭
    No. On the PGA Tour he is 2 for 7 in closing out 54 hole leads and as previously stated has not shot under par in any of those rounds. He got the job done today. Deserves all the credit for it but he is not a closer.
  • andrieddleandrieddle Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    He bounced back after a triple bogey and bogey holes, dropped him into 2nd and went low for the rest of the round? If that's not mental strength, I don't know what is. Regardless Grace dunked it on 17 or not, he still played aggressively for the rest of the round.

lots of people would just go home after what happened to him on hole 11 and 12. I think his mental game is moving in the right direction.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,116 ClubWRX
    I think there are a lot of people posting on this website who have never played competitive golf.
  • Ronnie MundtRonnie Mundt Members Posts: 175 ✭✭
    So stoked for Rickie today. He’s wanted this tourney so bad and with failure staring him in the face he man’d up and finished birdie par birdie par to take it.

I don’t know how one could not be a fan of Fowler. His demeanor on the course is just incredible. Juxtapose that with the whiny baby that just got tossed from the tournament over in Saudi Arabia, I mean it’s night and day.

Fowler seems to have his head on as straight as possible given the success he’s had. Sure, he hasn’t won as much as he should have, but he seems so grounded and at least from a casual observer, he seems to really appreciate the opportunity he has to play golf for a living and do some cool charity work to boot.

Go Rickie. I’ve always been a fan but today made me a major fan.
  • diablocrusherdiablocrusher Members Posts: 173 ✭✭

He's had 7 54 hole leads in his career.

He's shot over par in the final round all 7 times.

In Rickie's last two wins, he's posted an over par score in the final round.

This pretty much sums it up for everyone. I’m glad he won, I always root for him, but I never feel confident he’s gonna win on Sunday when he’s leading. If everyone else doesn’t play bad golf along with along with him he doesn’t win.
    Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Diablo Octane Tour
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie
  • randywildmanrandywildman Members Posts: 876 ✭✭
    getitdaily wrote:

rkelso184 wrote:

if his second ball didn't roll into the water he would have dropped 2 shots sitting at -1. Also, who knows how the rest of the round would have played out.

Pouring rain, No good scores recorded for the day, A drop that then fell away a second time and the slow play all day NON of which I feel is a reflection of his game? He won and pulled 2 birdies when counted. I think he has done well and to turn around from that 7 speaks volume!

If he didn't chip it over the green into the water then he wouldn't have had to drop on a slope...

He miss judged it by inches...it cost him, bigly....clutch putting on 17, He marries the hottie and wins a major, maybe two. Even Thomas was giving him love today and he is a heck of a closer.
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,195 ✭✭
    edited Feb 4, 2019 1:29am #44
    getitdaily wrote:

rkelso184 wrote:

Fowler didn't have to drop on that slope after hitting it in the water. He chose to. He could have taken the penalty and replayed the shot from its original location.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • LambLamb LondonMembers Posts: 327 ✭✭
  • KjboisenKjboisen Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    I think the best way to summarize it is confidence can come and go, and IMO he lacks confidence in this type of scenario. Now, with him winning this tournament playing like garbage, a W is a W and that should give him confidence. I have no faith in him winning a Major without having to deal with something as stressful as this. I think this win is way better for him than a Euro Tour win in the heat of trying to catch a leader like in 15' or throwing wedge darts at the Players. I hope this win gives the man some confidence, a respectable guy who id love to see as a role model for more and more up and coming kids

onwards.... . #TheMasters2019 and close it out with a W!
  • hackerboyhackerboy Members Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Today’s play after 11, particularly the holed putts and great drive on 17, proved that he can create but recover from adversity. He really wanted the win, you could see the emotion talking about being there with his father and grandparents. His putting and driving saved him, and will serve him well when he has to relive this again at Augusta and the Opens. If he had jacked one into the water on 17, missed some of those knee knockers coming in, not hit a great shot into the par 5, etc, I would say No, he’s not a closer. But he closed after that horrific rule on 11, and will be solid heading into the rest of 2019. 1 Major this year.
  • Josh L.Josh L. Members Posts: 394 ✭✭
    He's closed numerous sponsorship and TV Commercial deals, so clearly the answer is yes.
  • straightshot7straightshot7 Members Posts: 3,039 ✭✭
    He shot 74 on Sunday. I like him but that's not closing.
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,249 ✭✭
    Considering 54 hole leafs don’t guarantee victory I don’t care if he is or not. It’s about the win whether come from behind or in the lead.

He showed today that he is mentally strong enough to recover from a bad break and some high scores.
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 5,003 ✭✭
    Does one National Championship in College Football make you a power house
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,691 ✭✭
    Nope... Grace outchoked him. Very happy he won though!
  • dropkickeddropkicked TorontoMembers Posts: 493 ✭✭
    I believe this may be a career year for Rickie. That putt that he drained for a triple, after all the madness that occured, was as clutch as you can get.

That putt alone may put his mindset into another gear and intense self confidence can do wonders for these pro's. He stared down adversity while enduring a round of attrition and prevailed.

#BDR
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Members Posts: 873 ✭✭
    Rickie is good for golf. He is in many ways the face of the PGA tour. Definitely not a closer but watching JT who is #4 in the world muck up his final round just shows the quality of player we have these days. All these guys have great swings with great track man numbers but where’s the guys who get it done on Sundays. Jack and Tiger were great because they did what they needed to do to win tournaments but having the leader pull a double and triple in the same round and the #4 golfer in the world can not come close to catching him is pretty sad. Grace did his share of choking once he got in position but his world ranking is not that of Thomas.
  • whynotgolfwhynotgolf Members Posts: 70 ✭✭
    Post #33 nailed imo.

He could've easily caved in but remained poised and aggressive enroute to what ultimately was a two shot win.

It wasn't pretty at times, but a lessor player I think folds up the tent in the same situation.
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,868 ✭✭
    He didn't win, he survived.

If this was a US Open, maybe I'd think differently, but this just made me confirm that unless he has a 5 stroke lead or greater going into Sunday he will likely never close out a major championship.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • The GeneralThe General Members Posts: 1,734 ✭✭
    getitdaily wrote:

No. Not even close. He didn't win today. He barely didn't lose it.

flawed logic right here.
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,251 ✭✭
    edited Feb 4, 2019 9:04am #58
    Wow, there are some utterly ridiculous statements being made in this thread. Lots of harsh words and judgements by guys who likely can't even close out the "B" flight of their club championship and would crap their pants in a member-guest shootout...NET...lol!

Rickie won. He made some mistakes and got some really bad breaks, but still he got it done. Plenty of examples of guys who did not win their first major until later in their careers. Rickie is only 30, he's got time and he'll get at least one IMO.

Edit to add: Looks to be lots of closers in this thread, they're all just missing the "c." 😉
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,547 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

getitdaily wrote:

rkelso184 wrote:

Fowler didn't have to drop on that slope after hitting it in the water. He chose to. He could have taken the penalty and replayed the shot from its original location.
    And likely made the same 7.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • bobcat88bobcat88 Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    Rickie Fowler in final rounds with a 54 hole lead/co-lead.

Combined score of +18

-14.26 strokes gained tee to green.

-13.36 strokes gained total.

Yeah, he's not a closer.
  • oz dee ceeoz dee cee Members Posts: 481 ✭✭
    dpb5031 wrote:

Wow, there are some utterly ridiculous statements being made in this thread. Lots of harsh words and judgements by guys who likely can't even close out the "B" flight of their club championship and would crap their pants in a member-guest shootout...NET...lol!

Rickie won. He made some mistakes and got some really bad breaks, but still he got it done. Plenty of examples of guys who did not win their first major until later in their careers. Rickie is only 30, he's got time and he'll get at least one IMO.

Edit to add: Looks to be lots of closers in this thread, they're all just missing the "c." 😉

The Rickie fanboy is cut!