An hour on launch monitor, how much should it cost?

2»

Comments

• AtraynAtrayn ClubWRX Posts: 2,053 ✭✭
    Matt J wrote:

A friend and I have floated this as a business plan. Curious to hear others' accounts of their local market.

Interesting that the rates are similar regardless of the LM yet the monitors vary largely. I'd like to buy a Trackman as we would use it for outside fittings in the summer, but hard to justify the added expense.

....my retirement plan:

I'm about to finally buy another house since we moved back to IL two years ago. My plan is to build a heated building outside my house that will have a Trackman, bar etc. I already have friends willing to pay for time on it next winter....I'll put in the tee/net outside this summer as well so I can conduct private lessons away from the course I currently work at.
    "Someday, it may even be possible to construct some kind of machine
    that will swing a golf club as well as it can possibly be done." "That is probably as close to
    the perfect swing as it would be possible for human beings to get." Ben Hogan 1965 SI

2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
    2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
    2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
    2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
    2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ KBS tour S
    2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
    Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,227 ✭✭
    ewe8523 wrote:

bobcat88 wrote:

I wish a place near me would have this option. I don't really want to rent out the simulator at Golf Galaxy or Dicks for an hour and have people around nonstop.

A golf dome does have Trackman, but they only allow access to it when getting fitted for something there. I've asked if I could just rent it out at times they didn't have fittings scheduled and they weren't open to it.

I usually just grab a couple of clubs off the used rack and tell them I’m comparing them to my current clubs in order to hit for free. It doesn’t solve your concern about having people around, but at least it’s free. Sometimes around 7:00 on weeknights I’m the only one in my local GG too.

Hahaha! Your GG must be pretty relaxed. Mine are full of a bunch of idiots. I stopped going to my GG when they told me they were going to have to charge me “range time” to demo a used iron if I wasn’t going to buy it.

I looked at the kid thinking it was some sort of bad joke. I Waited for the punchline. Nope. He was dead serious.

I told him he could take the club and shove it up his a$$. It would be a cold day in **** before I pay to demo a golf club in a golf shop.

I Left and didn’t go back for two years.

I have a buddy that works a 1/2 mile away.. He liked to PUTT on his lunch break. They eventually told him they were going to CHARGE HIM TO USE THE PUTTING GREEN if he wasn’t intending to buy anything. Fools.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • bobcat88bobcat88 Members Posts: 244 ✭✭

ewe8523 wrote:

bobcat88 wrote:

I wish a place near me would have this option. I don't really want to rent out the simulator at Golf Galaxy or Dicks for an hour and have people around nonstop.

A golf dome does have Trackman, but they only allow access to it when getting fitted for something there. I've asked if I could just rent it out at times they didn't have fittings scheduled and they weren't open to it.

I usually just grab a couple of clubs off the used rack and tell them I’m comparing them to my current clubs in order to hit for free. It doesn’t solve your concern about having people around, but at least it’s free. Sometimes around 7:00 on weeknights I’m the only one in my local GG too.

Hahaha! Your GG must be pretty relaxed. Mine are full of a bunch of idiots. I stopped going to my GG when they told me they were going to have to charge me “range time” to demo a used iron if I wasn’t going to buy it.

I looked at the kid thinking it was some sort of bad joke. I Waited for the punchline. Nope. He was dead serious.

I told him he could take the club and shove it up his a$$. It would be a cold day in **** before I pay to demo a golf club in a golf shop.

I have a buddy that works a 1/2 mile away.. He liked to PUTT on his lunch break. They eventually told him they were going to CHARGE HIM TO USE THE PUTTING GREEN if he wasn’t intending to buy anything. Fools.

I get the same vibe from the guys at my GG. During the winter I'd go in a couple times a month, just to see if any new stuff had come in on trades and they'd always look angrier and angrier each time I swing by.

For starters if they had reasonable prices on used clubs, I'd probably shop there more. Stopped in for the first time in a few months over the weekend and a couple of the used M3s they had were priced $20 higher than the brand new ones they had left in stock.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,227 ✭✭
    bobcat88 wrote:

ewe8523 wrote:

bobcat88 wrote:

I get the same vibe from the guys at my GG. During the winter I'd go in a couple times a month, just to see if any new stuff had come in on trades and they'd always look angrier and angrier each time I swing by.

For starters if they had reasonable prices on used clubs, I'd probably shop there more. Stopped in for the first time in a few months over the weekend and a couple of the used M3s they had were priced $20 higher than the brand new ones they had left in stock.

Bad management, bad pay, high turnover, very little knowledge = crappy experience. I detest the place.

Anyone in Columbus, go to Par Golf Discount in Dublin on Sawmill. Dan the man owns it. Small shop and he’s had it for decades and he gives a ****. Excellent club repair skills as well.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • niscur24niscur24 Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    I was just chatting with a buddy about this last weekend. I would honestly pay $50-75 an hour to sit on a launch monitor with my clubs/ball of choice and fit myself or see what my data looks like with current gear and shafts I have lying around. I thoroughly enjoy the tinkering but naturally like most I cannot afford the high end launch monitors for home use. Set it up, let me loose, and give me a print out of the data when I done.

****, I could honestly see myself using something like that several times a year.
    DRIVER: G400 Ahina 70 or Cobra F8+ Rogue Silver 70
    FAIRWAY: G410 14.5 Evenflow 85 or Cobra F8+ 3/4 & 5/6 Tour Blue 85
    HYBRIDS: G Hybrid 17/22 Tour 90 or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
    IRONS: I210 5-PW LZ 6.0 or Cobra Tour Forged 5-Pw KBS Flighted 125
    WEDGES: Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0 or Nike Vr Forged 50/54/58 DG
    PUTTER: Some form of a Scotty
    WITB:http://www.golfwrx.c...date-nike-time/

• ewe8523ewe8523 Members Posts: 314 ✭✭
    We have two GGs in the Raleigh area (we used to have three). They are both different in this respect. Unfortunately the people at the one closer to my house are unfriendly and I dislike all of them and therefore do not shop at that store. The one further away is larger, has more used clubs, better prices, and they are much friendlier. They’ve never given me any issues hitting clubs in the simulator.
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,855 ClubWRX
    A few courses in my area (Omaha, NE) have set-up hitting bays with screens/projectors with a Trackman or Skytrak. It's typically $25-$35 an hour...no print out...but all the results are there for you to view, obsess and over-analyze as you wait for warmer weather.
  • ShinnersShinners Members Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited Feb 5, 2019 4:27pm #39
    Do you guys have any recommendations in the Orange County area?
  • SushiyoshiSushiyoshi Members Posts: 1,180 ✭✭
    Any place in San Jose area?
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,824 ✭✭
    Shinners wrote:

Do you guys have any recommendations in the Orange County area?

I haven't been there yet but hear the Olympic Golf Zone (at the Source mall in Buena Park) has sim range/stalls. Been meaning to go check it out. I think they are affiliated with a golf shop so you can demo clubs there as well.
  • mister2coolmister2cool Members Posts: 3,713 ✭✭
    vietnameeh wrote:

where can I find this deal bay area CA lol

everyones charging $150+ hour, and you need to be supervised

**** I guess I did my business model for the wrong area!!!
    2017 M1 440 10.5, Project X Even Flow Black 65 6.0
    2017 M1 3W, Project X Even Flow Blue 75 6.0
    RBZ Stage 2 18*H,Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0
    Srixon z945 4-P, DG S300
    Nike Engage DS 52* DG S400
    Nike Engage TS 58* DG S400
    Callaway X-Forged 64* DG S400
    Putter... Who needs that?
  • bkirkley09bkirkley09 Members Posts: 366 ✭✭
    So I am just curious but would you guys rather spend less and use a skytrak or GC2 or spend kore and use a quad or track man? Like what would you spend for an hour of each? Just trying to judge interest and actual utility of each monitor.

PING G400 Max 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD BB 6X
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W, Oban Devotion 7x
    Callaway Epic Flash 5W, Smoke 80g 6.5
    Ping I210 4-PW, DG 120 S300
    Ping Glide Stealth, 50ss, 54ss, 58ss, AWT Wedge Flex
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5 Moto, 33"

• Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,723 ✭✭
    Our plan was to integrate it with some other "sporting goods" concepts. We have a full work shop of club building equipment between us, so we would do club work. I used to be a bicycle mechanic so we would close a couple of bays and fix and sell used bicycles in the summer. We were considering a beer and wine license deal to put some taps in and sell beer for "league" or bike mechanic teaching clinics, etc.

I don't know about selling used junior sports equipment like hockey and football stuff, but it seems that could be lucrative. Maybe some ski and snowboard stuff as I worked in that industry for a long time. Not too expensive to put a belt and stone in and tune skis and snowboards. Mounting skis and boards is easy peasy too.

Seems the most lucrative models are selling very value oriented new stuff and used stuff and leaving the expensive OEM's and inventory to the more specialty stores.

I'm thinking one Trackman so we could do outdoor fittings at a local range during the summer and the other bays use something less expensive that would work as a decent SIM in the winter.

I think we could rent the space from one of the partners that owns some industrial real estate. But, he's not going to rent it to us at a loss, and we wouldn't ask him to do that, but I think if his mortgage is paid he's reasonable about his return on some investment and some build out. It's really a labor of love as there's just not much money in it.
  • mikewohlwendmikewohlwend ClubWRX Posts: 334 ClubWRX
    kdog25 wrote:

I live in the Pittsburgh area. As far as I'm aware, these are the only simulator options we have:

3Trak simulator - $48 per hour

FullSwing Golf e6 simulator - $36 per hour

Trackman - $42 per hour

I have no idea what those first two simulators are or how accurate they may be. Golf Galaxy has a GC Quad, but I have no idea how you go about reserving those. In fact, I'm not even sure you can? There's also a Golftec and a Club Champion in the area, but as far as I know you can't just rent out their simulators.

Cool Springs in Bethel Park have simulators available for $48 an hour.

I think it's cheaper for the heated bays with the ball tracking info outside. Been a year since I was there. So who knows
  • enfuegoenfuego Members Posts: 59 ✭✭
    About the range in Dublin, OH mentioned above... I went there when I was in town for a few days and two of us charged the same $25/person/hour to share a bay. So as a single it would be $25/hr but if there's two of you its $50/hour and you hit half as many shots.. We played a round of golf that if we booked two separate bays (which were open) would cost us $25/each and we're done in an hour. Instead it took us 2 hours and $50/each to play one round. Next time I'll just go by myself but I would think there would be an incentive to have more than one person on a bay at a time, maybe $35/hr for two people.
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members Posts: 331 ✭✭

kdog25 wrote:

I think it's cheaper for the heated bays with the ball tracking info outside. Been a year since I was there. So who knows

The "3Trak" thing is the indoor simulator at Cool Springs. I really know nothing about the technology, so I can't say if it's worth the $48 an hour.

I've used the Top Tracer (or Pro Tracer?) bays several times. I left it out of my post because I don't really whether you can call the technology a "launch monitor". I believe it's the same technology used at Top Golf facilities. I'm not 100% sold on it. I got some really messed up data a few times, mostly at the ends of my bag. Like it'd tell me I was hitting 115 yard 60 degree wedges and then 200 yard drivers and fairway woods. Maybe it was something to do with how I launch the ball, or how the machine is calibrated or something, but it seemed like it was seriously overestimating the bottom of my bag while simultaneously underestimating the top. The ball speeds seemed about right, though, so it's probably whatever math is used to calculate distances. Also, the middle of the bag seemed pretty spot on.
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy driver, Aldila Rogue M-AX 75
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 Wood, Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Cobra King F6 Baffler, Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Srixon Z H45 4 hybrid
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 Milled S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway Mac Daddy PM Grind 58 deg.
    Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide, Rosemark 7Teen grip
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,935 ✭✭
    $ 50 hr for me. Outdoor trackman. But you’d be shocked how much you can do in an hour. It’s about all you want at once.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • jmtbkrjmtbkr Palm Beach GardensMembers Posts: 778 ✭✭
    tree fiddy
    Callaway Rogue 12.5* Synergy 50S
    Callaway Diablo 2hyb
    Callaway X20 3-SW
    Scotty Cameron California Fastback
    Supersoft
    Found this on the Trackman site. You can look up locations that have a Trackman and most of the ones on the site are rentable, some are at Private Country Clubs.

https://mytrackman.com/public/locator
  • vietnameehvietnameeh HIT BALL FAR NOT BALL STRAIGHT Members Posts: 1,898 ✭✭
    For the Bay Area, CA folks. I found trackman rental supposedly it's $45/hour but closed for the "winter"

PM me!
    Cobra LTD PRO 7.5F* Aldila Phenom NL 60X
    Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
    Taylormade M3 17* Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
    2012 TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW X100
    Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
  • halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭

bobcat88 wrote:

ewe8523 wrote:

bobcat88 wrote:

Bad management, bad pay, high turnover, very little knowledge = crappy experience. I detest the place.

Anyone in Columbus, go to Par Golf Discount in Dublin on Sawmill. Dan the man owns it. Small shop and he’s had it for decades and he gives a ****. Excellent club repair skills as well.

If this is the same place I'm thinking of, my Dad used to take me there every winter while we were in town for high school basketball championship weekend @ St John's Arena and the Holiday Inn on Lane. I was about 12 at the the time (back in very early '80s), and that place seemed huge to me! It was like walking into an Austad's catalog if you remember those!

We usually just went to look, and he may buy some balls or other nik-naks, but around the time I was 12-13 and just starting the game, I fell in love with a Wilson 8802 they had on the used rack and he actually bought it for me - wish I still had that putter! I'm in Akron now, but go to Columbus several times a year on business, will definitely have to hit that place up next time and see if it's the same place.
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • HuskyFanHuskyFan ClubWRX Posts: 80 ClubWRX
    In the Seattle area there is a place that charges $15 an hour for indoor trackman unsupervised. No option to print out your shots but you could always take pictures of the results.
  • junkfryjunkfry Members Posts: 559 ✭✭
    Man, all the bargains out there! Where I live it started at $75 an hour on Trackman a few years ago, now it's $200 for an hour. If you purchase a driver or iron set, then it goes toward the purchase. But just to try new gear..... not worth it.
  • Dirt555Dirt555 ClubWRX Posts: 5
    Skaffa77 wrote:

A few courses in my area (Omaha, NE) have set-up hitting bays with screens/projectors with a Trackman or Skytrak. It's typically $25-$35 an hour...no print out...but all the results are there for you to view, obsess and over-analyze as you wait for warmer weather.

I'm also in Omaha. What courses?
  • TheBIIgCatTheBIIgCat ClubWRX Posts: 1,446 ClubWRX
    If you are playing sim golf, I can’t speak on the charges. But if you are getting on to look at numbers, compare clubs or shafts, it doesn’t take hours of hitting balls. I literally can hit about 3 balls change the shaft out, hit 3-5 more and the answer is almost always obvious. The data is so good, you don’t need a whole lot of time.. Maybe that’s just me though.
    Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...
    Was able to stop in at a place around 45 minutes from while I was running around meetings for work. 30 min of hitting balls, with camera behind and open side synced up and full report emailed to me with videos for $25. Not sure I can beat that anywhere.
  • browne11browne11 I'm a hockey player, playing golf today Members Posts: 1,621 ✭✭
    kdog25 wrote:

I live in the Pittsburgh area. As far as I'm aware, these are the only simulator options we have:

3Trak simulator - $48 per hour

FullSwing Golf e6 simulator - $36 per hour

Trackman - $42 per hour

I have no idea what those first two simulators are or how accurate they may be. Golf Galaxy has a GC Quad, but I have no idea how you go about reserving those. In fact, I'm not even sure you can? There's also a Golftec and a Club Champion in the area, but as far as I know you can't just rent out their simulators.

I live a minute from cool springs. They also have the Toptracer at the outdoor range in their 10 heated bays that is only $5 extra on top of the bucket you have to buy. For $5 it seems like a no brainer to me. I’m not sure how accurate Toptracer is to the other monitors. I think that spin is just estimated but the rest of the numbers seem to be pretty close to what I would expect. They also have TVs down there and sell beer so I spend a lot of time there in the winter.
    Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
    Ping G30 14.5 stiff
    Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
    Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
    Ping 54, 58 Tour S
    Taylormade DJ Spider Tour
  • taylorx300taylorx300 Members Posts: 1,265 ✭✭
    PGASS has a tour van experience in some of their stores.. You could do a 1 hour gapping session for $40 and get a report from the quad. Might do that once all the new clubs show up. I know it’s inside but better than nothing in the winter.
    M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
    M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
    M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
    P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
    52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
    59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
    60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
    Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black