Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Calling all claw/pencil/paintbrush putters

cmporto10cmporto10 Members Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
I've recently started messing around with the claw technique, and have found some success on my carpet (for now). i feel it allows me to control the face better, thus me making a more confident stroke.

I plan I getting a putter fitting soon while using this technique, but until then, what's everyone who uses this technique rolling these days?

Comments

• GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Versa 1W Arm Lock. Basically same technique like Webb Simpson or Adam Scott.
    Cobra F9 10° w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16° w/ AD DI Black 7X
    Cobra F9 4 Iron w/ AD IZ 95X
    Titleist 680 3-PW w/ DGX100
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 Raw 56°/ Vokey Proto 60° w/ DG Tour Issue
    PXG Dagger 35" 
  • philly2kukphilly2kuk Members Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I go claw I find I putt best with an anser style putter. My normal overlap grip works best with a mallet for me.
    Taylormade M3 with Evenflow Blue
    Ping G 17.5° with Tour 80
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 22°
    Ping G25 4-PW
    Ping Tour W 50°
    Vokey SM7 56°/14° and 60°/10°
    Scotty Cameron T22 Newport
    Titleist Pro V1x

Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number.
  • SheriffBoothSheriffBooth Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 4,472 mod
    I've had claw success with both TM Spider Tour and TM Balboa, as well as a BB-5 Bettinardi. Basically anything with some toe hang. Have not had great success with face balanced models.
    Taylormade M6, 9.0*, Hzrdus Smoke 60 S
    Taylormade M5, 15*, Hzrdus Smoke 70 S
    Callaway Apex 3H, Kuro Kage S
    Taylormade P-790, 4-PW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
    Taylormade MG 50, 56, 60 Recoil 110 F4 +1"
    SeeMore Platinum M7 Tour, 36"
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 24,025 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The simple answer is - the same type of putter I used before switching to the claw. I don't tend to use as much forward shaft lean as I did prior - so a degree less loft helps now. And a bit more grip weight (~30 gm Tour lock butt weight) - but it's hard to say that change is specific to the grip change since I only discovered the concept of fitting grip side weight in the putter after the change to the claw.

The more detailed answer is that I've always preferred and Anser 2 style blade putter.
    Stuart G. wrote:

The simple answer is - the same type of putter I used before switching to the claw. I don't tend to use as much forward shaft lean as I did prior - so a degree less loft helps now. And a bit more grip weight (~30 gm Tour lock butt weight) - but it's hard to say that change is specific to the grip change since I only discovered the concept of fitting grip side weight in the putter after the change to the claw.

The more detailed answer is that I've always preferred and Anser 2 style blade putter.

I've been claw putting since 2011 and have gone back and forth on the counterbalanced grips. I think it's probably just personal preference. For me, having a pistol shape in the left hand has been critical - right now I'm using the SS Pistol GTR 1.0, and I've also really liked the generally unpopular Lamkin Sink.

I've been claw putting since 2011 and have gone back and forth on the counterbalanced grips. I think it's probably just personal preference. For me, having a pistol shape in the left hand has been critical - right now I'm using the SS Pistol GTR 1.0, and I've also really liked the generally unpopular Lamkin Sink.

Agree it's very much personal preference. I think I switched back around '07 '08 - when the putter head weights were still pretty light (at least for me, I was still playing a '91 Anser). It wasn't till I started using the newer and heavier heads that I started playing around with additional grip weight. All I can say for sure right now is that the heavier the head, the heavier I prefer the grip side weight. But that +30 gm's is really over a stock Ping AVS mid-size - so total butt weight is still only around ~90 gm.

I also find using a pistol type grip is critical. I've got a Pistol GTR 1.0 on one of my back-ups and the jury is still out but not a big fan. I'm still preferring smaller grips - like the AVS and other more traditional mid-size putter grips. Haven't tried any of the Sink's yet. The newer Sink Fit Skinny pistol looks promising.
  • cmporto10cmporto10 Members Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I’m finding that a putter with a sub 350g head weight is working best for me. Just pulled the trigger on a WHP 3. Hoping it does the trick!
  • timsiegletimsiegle Addict Members Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    I'm using a WHP #7 with a SS Flatso 2.0, no counter-core installed.
    [font=georgia,serif]Callaway Great Big Bertha 10.5*
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 910H 20.5*
    [/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]Ping G Crossover #4[/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]Ping S55 5-PW
    Cleveland 588 Satin 50.08*
    [/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]Vokey SM6 F 54.14* [/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]Ping Glide 60* TS
    Odyssey White Hot Pro #7
    [/font]
    Stuart G. wrote:

Agree it's very much personal preference. I think I switched back around '07 '08 - when the putter head weights were still pretty light (at least for me, I was still playing a '91 Anser). It wasn't till I started using the newer and heavier heads that I started playing around with additional grip weight. All I can say for sure right now is that the heavier the head, the heavier I prefer the grip side weight. But that +30 gm's is really over a stock Ping AVS mid-size - so total butt weight is still only around ~90 gm.

I also find using a pistol type grip is critical. I've got a Pistol GTR 1.0 on one of my back-ups and the jury is still out but not a big fan. I'm still preferring smaller grips - like the AVS and other more traditional mid-size putter grips. Haven't tried any of the Sink's yet. The newer Sink Fit Skinny pistol looks promising.

The original 11" Sink Rounded was very much like the Pistolero, which for Cameron users would also be a great claw grip. Of course, the original 11" Sink Rounded is now discontinued, and I'm not sure if any of the new stuff they are getting ready to release has a similar profile.

Another configuration tip that helped me a bit was having the putter be upright by a degree or two. Seemed to help me with swing path.

The original 11" Sink Rounded was very much like the Pistolero, which for Cameron users would also be a great claw grip. Of course, the original 11" Sink Rounded is now discontinued, and I'm not sure if any of the new stuff they are getting ready to release has a similar profile.

Another configuration tip that helped me a bit was having the putter be upright by a degree or two. Seemed to help me with swing path.

Interesting. Last fitting I found I needed mine a bit more upright as well (+2* for most or ~74*) but I had not previously considered that being attributed the claw grip (never had a putter fitting prior to changing).
  • Fetch07Fetch07 Members Posts: 384 ✭✭✭✭
    Any #9 style putter, with Superstroke GTR 2.0. Might try the new Taxion claw grip too.
    Ping G400 LST - PING Tour 65 X Stiff 66G
    Ping G400 3W - PING Tour 65 X Stiff 62G
    Mizuno JPX 900 2H - Fujikura Pro 73 Stiff
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW Project X LZ 6.5 125g
    Mizuno MP-T7 - 50,54,58,62 - Project X LZ 6.5 125g
    Odyssey #9
    1.2 HC
  • cmporto10cmporto10 Members Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Just went to my local shop today. Had my WHP #3 bent to almost 74*. Was messing around with a 110g weight in the butt end and man, was rolling it pretty well.
  • GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Members Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been putting claw style for almost 15 years and have always used a Scotty Newport. Last year I put a flatso 1.0 on it turned 45 degrees with the flat side aligned with the face.
    Callaway Rogue 9.0*
    Taylormade 2016 M2 16.5* fairway wood
    Mizuno JPX 900 3 and 4 hybrids
    Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #7
    Cleveland RTX 4 wedges 50*, 54* and 58*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file