Romo should announce golf

Comments

• QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,043 ClubWRX
    Romo is great because he played and knows the game. He’s not afraid to say what he thinks will happen, what the play is. I wish golf announces would do the same more often. What shot are they thinking, what’s their line, what’s their landing spot and trajectory, etc.?
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro White 70TX
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ (15°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • 81Ralph3381Ralph33 Southern California Members Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Romo would kill it, I vote for him in the booth and seeing him play more golf would be entertaining
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,323 ✭✭
    I didnt know Tony had so many

Relatives ; )

Kidding, love him in the booth for football. Knowledge and passion combined comes through well.

But relative to football, he has a miniscule well to draw on for golf. Hed run out of things to say fast in the booth.

Maybe start him out on the course first and see how he does.
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,868 ClubWRX
    bscinstnct wrote:

Relatives ; )

Kidding, love him in the booth for football. Knowledge and passion combined comes through well.

But relative to football, he has a miniscule well to draw on for golf. Hed run out of things to say fast in the booth.

Romo has game. He's a 0.4 hcp.

He attempted Q-school last year shooting 74 in a pre qualifier, missing the cut to stage 1 by one stroke. However, he did advance because another competitor signed an incorrect card and was disqualified. He shot 79, 73, 72, 72 in the fist stage finishing T-72, but did not advance.

I love Romo as a football analyst. He's the best by a mile. I think he would do well in golf, too.
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 455 ✭✭
    With Mean Gene passing Romo would be great at Wrestlemania and then the masters the following week.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,323 ✭✭
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Relatives ; )

He attempted Q-school last year shooting 74 in a pre qualifier, missing the cut to stage 1 by one stroke. However, he did advance because another competitor signed an incorrect card and was disqualified. He shot 79, 73, 72, 72 in the fist stage finishing T-72, but did not advance.

I love Romo as a football analyst. He's the best by a mile. I think he would do well in golf, too.

Ya, I know he can play.

I meant start him on the course announcing/following players to start.
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,868 ClubWRX
    bscinstnct wrote:

Hot Rod 71 wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Relatives ; )

Ya, I know he can play.

I meant start him on the course announcing/following players to start.

Oh, my bad. I misread your comment. Makes sense now.
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,337 ✭✭

With Mean Gene passing Romo would be great at Wrestlemania and then the masters the following week.

After the round , Justin Rose be like "let me tell you something Tony Romo, I just wanted to go out and win one for all those RoseaManiacs!!!"
    Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,657 ClubWRX
    DTX 12 wrote:

Verne Lundquist is great at the Masters and has arguably the most iconic calls ever in golf with the Jack "yes sir" and the Tiger chip in. The fact that Verne never played on the PGA tour does not diminish any of that for me. There are just people that are entertaining to listen to.

Also I know it was a joke and more of a publicity thing but Romo has played in an actual PGA event.

So has Michael Bolton.
  • Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 455 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

After the round , Justin Rose be like "let me tell you something Tony Romo, I just wanted to go out and win one for all those RoseaManiacs!!!"

Can u smell what the Duff is cooking?
  • PotatoheadPotatohead Members Posts: 2,893 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

DTX 12 wrote:

Verne Lundquist is great at the Masters and has arguably the most iconic calls ever in golf with the Jack "yes sir" and the Tiger chip in. The fact that Verne never played on the PGA tour does not diminish any of that for me. There are just people that are entertaining to listen to.

Also I know it was a joke and more of a publicity thing but Romo has played in an actual PGA event.

So has Michael Bolton.

Which Michael Bolton?
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,304 ✭✭
    Should do like a foreign exchange program. Romo calling some golf. Have Faldo and McCord call some football games.
  • Mr. HoganMr. Hogan Members Posts: 1,336 ✭✭
    USGA - Unusually Stupid Governance Association
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,115 ✭✭

God no.

I don't get the Romo love. I like that he calls some of the plays ahead of time, but his near orgasmic voice "Here we gooooo Jimmmm!!!!!" is as annoying AF.

yeah hes okay but looking at personnel on the field and saying whats coming isnt genius level stuff. It just shows how terrible his predecessors were.
  • SixcatSixcat SWVAMembers Posts: 1,440 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

DTX 12 wrote:

So has Michael Bolton.

Potatohead wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

DTX 12 wrote:

So has Michael Bolton.

Which Michael Bolton?
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,746 ✭✭

God no.

I don't get the Romo love. I like that he calls some of the plays ahead of time, but his near orgasmic voice "Here we gooooo Jimmmm!!!!!" is as annoying AF.

Agree. Faldo as long as he wants the job. If Azinger says something to get fired it should be David Feherty full time.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    edited Feb 5, 2019 8:28am #48
    bscinstnct wrote:

Relatives ; )

Yep. Johnny was great because he lived it. Faldo is great because he lived it. Romo can do football because he at least played. Being a scratch golfer isn’t really the same as a major champion..... by a huge gap. May as well put Joe Buck in the spot. Which would single handedly kill golf on tv.
  • DON SVODON SVO Hacker in progress... Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,078 ✭✭

Yep. Johnny was great because he lived it. Faldo is great because he lived it. Romo can do football because he at least played. Being a scratch golfer isn't really the same as a major champion..... by a huge gap. May as well put Joe Buck in the spot. Which would single handedly kill golf on tv.

That comment is both churlish and sickening. Don't put that evil on us, Ricky Bobby!
    A bag of left-handed junk.
    Driver: 2016 Taylormade M2 Kai'li 70x
    3W: TM R11 15* Kai'li 80x
    2H: Adams Super XTD Project X blue 6.5
    3H: Adams Super XTD Aldila Proto 95x
    4-PW: Mizuno MP-32 satin PX 6.5
    59, 56, 53: Callaway Mack Daddy, PX 6.0
    Cameron Newport 1.5
  • kobes31kobes31 EFF Members Posts: 790 ✭✭
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,362 ✭✭
    edited Feb 5, 2019 9:15am #51

bscinstnct wrote:

Relatives ; )

Yep. Johnny was great because he lived it. Faldo is great because he lived it. Romo can do football because he at least played. Being a scratch golfer isn't really the same as a major champion..... by a huge gap. May as well put Joe Buck in the spot. Which would single handedly kill golf on tv.

Yes people here don't seem to understand the difference between a commentator and analyst. I could see Romo as a 3rd guy in the booth but he's not qualified to be a golf analyst just because he's a scratch golfer.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
    kobes31 wrote:

Romo > Buck

true...but the common cold > than the measles...But i still dont want either....

( greater meaning better than in this instance)
    edited Feb 5, 2019 9:33am #53
    new2g0lf wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Relatives ; )

Yes people here don't seem to understand the difference between a commentator and analyst. I could see Romo as a 3rd guy in the booth but he's not qualified to be a golf analyst just because he's a scratch golfer.

right .. hes not lived a "golf centered " life so to speak... cant analyze on the Johnny level.. no way , not close. Azinger probably can..But i fear hes going to let something slip and get canned.. he mentioned his daughter and son in law worked with Down syndrome kids , and the quote that followed was " they are just the happiest people...so fun to work with "... and the context and way he said it made me cringe.. and im not at all PC....It was during the Amy segment with gary woodland... Imnot judging him mind you . id get canned inside of an hour probably .. just pointing out the facts . Romo would be a safe PC choice..But he cant tell us what playing in a major feels like.. because he doesnt know. and never will.
  • VicvaradoVicvarado TXMembers Posts: 90 ✭✭
    I too would like to see Romo in a golf broadcast. Might be really good seeing him follow a featured group.

Titleist 913 D3 9.5°
    Ping Anser 14.5°
    TaylorMade P790 2 UDI
    Titleist 909H 3-Hybrid
    Wilson FG Tour V2 (4-PW)
    Wilson 52° & 58°
    Cleveland Smart Square Putter 33"
    Cut Golf Blue
  • Mr. HoganMr. Hogan Members Posts: 1,336 ✭✭
    new2g0lf wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Relatives ; )

Personally, I'm not saying put Romo in a 2 man booth. I think he would be great as a 3rd guy. You can still have the grizzled vet in the booth talking about trap draws and hitting the club face 1 groove too high.
    USGA - Unusually Stupid Governance Association
  • ItIsJackItIsJack Members Posts: 82 ✭✭
    Romo would be amazing. Sure he can’t tell us what playing in a major feels like... but to be fair he couldn’t tell us what playing in a super bowl is like either. I think he knows and cares enough about golf to be a great addition.
  • King_SlenderKing_Slender Members Posts: 1,450 ✭✭

God no.

I dunno, I kinda like orgasms.

Listening to other guys' orgasms?
  • Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 913 ✭✭
    Tony would do a great job I bet. Even predict most shot outcomes....
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,292 ✭✭
    new2g0lf wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Relatives ; )

I agree with the part in bold. He would make an interesting addition to the booth, while probably learning a lot about how to present the game of golf that so many have become accustomed to. I wouldn't doubt he would be able to put his own spin on the presentation in time, either, but I would never expect him to be any analyst with the depth that guys who have "been there" can and do.

Having played in several tournaments with him, he certainly understands the game very well, so maybe getting him out on the course to do some of the new on course interview segments they are trying and a few on course calls could be a good start for him if he really wants to get into golf announcing.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,692 ✭✭
    I mean, why not, there are so many bad commentators out there it would at least be worth a shot.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,362 ✭✭

I mean, why not, there are so many bad commentators out there it would at least be worth a shot.

Commentators are usually hired because of their voice, ability to think on their feet, initiate and keep conversations going. Analysts are the experts, the ex-athletes or coaches, a good voice is preferable, the rest of their job is taught to them and practiced. In terms of the quality of golf commentators, I doubt it's a field that attracts the best as there is likely more money and opportunity in other sports given the number of games and teams.

Romo could be a 3rd guy, he's not a commentator and his analyst skills are best suited for football, though he might be a suitable analyst for an amateur tournament or web.com
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB