What is your best golf fitness tip?

2

Comments

  • Jose c.Jose c. Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    concept 2 rowing machine,you'll hate it but it works everything. 2000 m,every other day along with medicine ball workouts.
  • TrueBlue4LyfeTrueBlue4Lyfe Members Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Stretch stretch stretch and stretch again. Especially if it limits your swing.



    The hip and back flexibility of the pros is insane. It’s dumb to try to mimic their moves without trying to increase your flexibility.



    Also stretch your neck if it’s not flexible. Really helped me keep my head under control.
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,357 ClubWRX
    I think the main thing when it comes to golf is strengthening your core muscles which acts as the stabilizers for your back muscles. In terms of putting on muscle, this can have a negative affect on your swing if you put too much muscle on. Up to the individual but thats what I would focus on.
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB 50/54/60 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Taylor Made Ghost Long Hosel DA22
    Vice Pro +
  • baudibaudi Members Posts: 643 ✭✭
    in general all of the above: corestrength, flexibility, endurance and explosion.

    I tend to believe the 'inside muscles' are vital

    Specifically I like:

    Gravity boots

    Abwheel

    Yoga ring for putting

    Resistance bands

    Balance boards

    Heavy club



    Underestimated muscles and joints in the hands, wrists and forearms imo.

  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,645 ✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2019 3:27am #36
    Hire a trainer. Stop listening to tips.



    96% of pros travel with their trainer every week. It’s not a coincidence.
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭


    Stretch stretch stretch and stretch again. Especially if it limits your swing.



    The hip and back flexibility of the pros is insane. It's dumb to try to mimic their moves without trying to increase your flexibility.



    Also stretch your neck if it's not flexible. Really helped me keep my head under control.




    I belive there's a lot of truth to this, certainly for me.



    Chris Finn / Par4Success has the best video I've seen on range of motion limitations and the effects on the golf swing:



    [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=cVd7kG91-Ps&app=desktop[/media]
  • CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Members Posts: 802 ✭✭
    Simple answer: stretch alot.





    Stretch 3-5x a day. focus on core/upper legs as hip rotation and shoulder seperation from hips will equal speed, less injury risk, and more consistency from day to day.



    Best stretches IMO are the ones that open up the hip flexor/hammy area. Lay on your back and do the leg over stretch. That one is my favorite.



    Sorry for the shameless plug but i wrote something on this a couple years ago:



    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1588476-i-gained-15-20-yards-across-the-board-last-winter-and-it-hasnt-regressed-heres-how-i-did-it/
    Callaway
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭


    Simple answer: stretch alot.





    Stretch 3-5x a day. focus on core/upper legs as hip rotation and shoulder seperation from hips will equal speed, less injury risk, and more consistency from day to day.



    Best stretches IMO are the ones that open up the hip flexor/hammy area. Lay on your back and do the leg over stretch. That one is my favorite.



    Sorry for the shameless plug but i wrote something on this a couple years ago:



    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1588476-i-gained-15-20-yards-across-the-board-last-winter-and-it-hasnt-regressed-heres-how-i-did-it/




    That’s a fantastic summary!



    At the end of last year I declared that I had made the speed gains I needed, but wanted to continue to work on higher hands, stability, and flexibility to make that speed easier and safer. Much of what I do personally is similar to your excellent write-up.



    Now, I wasn’t expecting a knee injury from skiing, or a bone chip in my tricep tendon to slow my roll this winter but, hey, the PT gives me another opportunity to stretch.
  • thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends... Members Posts: 433 ✭✭
    Core work

    Anti-rotation exercises

    Band work

    Explosive/speed movements

    Posterior chain exercises

    Constant stretching, especially if you're some kind of cubicle **** like I am
    Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD GP
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 50° 54°
    Hi-Toe 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,504 ✭✭
    I haven't lifted weights or stretched in 2 years. I did drop some fat though..starting hitting it great...gained some back and my game declinded. Swing is coming back (and fat also dropping again). Going to start the drive400 program shortly, we shall see if it helps. Currently get 162-165mph ball speeds with driver, would love to get into the 170s
  • puresurfrpuresurfr Members Posts: 1,895 ✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2019 3:32pm #42
    Im glad this topic was introduced, I wanted to get a bit longer with my drives and irons.....I started going for long walks and then graduated to lifting and stretching at home and then I joined a gym and did olympic power lifts. im in my 50s, so I guess I should not expect much.



    3 months of walking and 2 months of running on all hills and inclines and walk on flats and downslope. I did get much better cardio and dropped about 12 lbs. The walks varied from 6-13 miles and the run walks were about 9 miles with about 2 miles of hill runs. I could now walk 36 holes with my carry bag and not be too tired even on hilly courses but I did not gain any distance whatsoever !



    Next I worked out at home with power blocks and did shoulder presses and bench and squats and deadlifts. My dumbbells only go to 100 lbs each so I could only take it so far. I do have a background in lifting. ( I used to workout about 20-25 years ago ) so the strength came back reasonably quick for my age. I increased about 30% in strength and did not gain any distance whatsoever.



    At this point I decided flexibility was my key problem. I purchased a stretching pole and the MISIG ( Most Important stretch in golf ) I used those and followed instructions. I still kept up with my lifting but cut my walking/running by about half. After 8 weeks, I saw zero improvement in distance but I did feel more connected through my swing and my balance improved. I noticed that my finish was not as complete as I would like and have focused on shoulder turn and finish of the swing.



    Next I joined a gym and that was fun, I started doing full squats and Power Cleans and Bench press and Deadlifts and calve raises and Pullups and I rowed about 5000m 2-3X a week. After about 10 weeks, im starting to max out in strength. My bench is about 300 and my squat is about 350 and deadlift is about 325 ( weak because I never deadlifted before in my younger days ). Im sure I can get to 350 bench and 450 squat by the end of the year. But sadly my distance did not improve. In fact I suffered a biceps injury and am currently under the care of a TPI Physical therapist and trainer.



    Its a very minor injury and my next step is to employ a swing coach to help me with getting some distance.



    * It is truly amazing how much effort I have put in and how absolutely zero results I have gotten as a result of my exercising. Haha and my swing speed and ball speed is very pedestrian. ( too ashamed to actually list it ! )





    My only success has been optimizing my angle of attack and launch angle and backspin.....I swing slow as a slough but im doing the most with my meager swing speed.





    Just finished reading the "crazy thoughts" that spewed from my head..... All of the stuff I did has increased my golf fitness. But had zero effect on swing speed. Addressing the best area of golf fitness to work on is individual for each person, I think you should work on the area that you are most deficient in.....If you are stiff get stronger and if you are weak get physically stronger focusing on legs and back and core. If you don't have much time, running 30 flights of stairs and doing 50 burpees with a jump at the end takes a min amount of time but it will do wonders for your overall golf fitness.
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2019 3:29pm #43
    puresurfr wrote:


    Im glad this topic was introduced, I wanted to get a bit longer with my drives and irons.....I started going for long walks and then graduated to lifting and stretching at home and then I joined a gym and did olympic power lifts. im in my 50s, so I guess I should not expect much.



    3 months of walking and 2 months of running on all hills and inclines and walk on flats and downslope. I did get much better cardio and dropped about 12 lbs. The walks varied from 6-13 miles and the run walks were about 9 miles with about 2 miles of hill runs. I could now walk 36 holes with my carry bag and not be too tired even on hilly courses but I did not gain any distance whatsoever !



    Next I worked out at home with power blocks and did shoulder presses and bench and squats and deadlifts. My dumbbells only go to 100 lbs each so I could only take it so far. I do have a background in lifting. ( I used to workout about 20-25 years ago ) so the strength came back reasonably quick for my age. I increased about 30% in strength and did not gain any distance whatsoever.



    At this point I decided flexibility was my key problem. I purchased a stretching pole and the MISIG ( Most Important stretch in golf ) I used those and followed instructions. I still kept up with my lifting but cut my walking/running by about half. After 8 weeks, I saw zero improvement in distance but I did feel more connected through my swing and my balance improved. I noticed that my finish was not as complete as I would like and have focused on shoulder turn and finish of the swing.



    Next I joined a gym and that was fun, I started doing full squats and Power Cleans and Bench press and Deadlifts and calve raises and Pullups and I rowed about 5000m 2-3X a week. After about 10 weeks, im starting to max out in strength. My bench is about 300 and my squat is about 350 and deadlift is about 325 ( weak because I never deadlifted before in my younger days ). Im sure I can get to 350 bench and 450 squat by the end of the year. But sadly my distance did not improve. In fact I suffered a biceps injury and am currently under the care of a TPI Physical therapist and trainer.



    Its a very minor injury and my next step is to employ a swing coach to help me with getting some distance.



    * It is truly amazing how much effort I have put in and how absolutely zero results I have gotten as a result of my exercising. Haha and my swing speed and ball speed is very pedestrian. ( too ashamed to actually list it ! )





    My only success has been optimizing my angle of attack and launch angle and backspin.....I swing slow as a slough but im doing the most with my meager swing speed.




    Great write-up. That was me all over at the start of last year.



    Likely you have build a great foundation for gaining speed through all of your efforts, and simply haven’t learned to swing faster yet.



    SuperSpeed Golf and a swing speed radar could easily be your ticket to significantly more yards off the tee. The fact that you’ve done the foundational work but still have slow swing speed just makes the potential up-side even more exciting...
  • puresurfrpuresurfr Members Posts: 1,895 ✭✭
    PorscheFan wrote:

    puresurfr wrote:


    Im glad this topic was introduced, I wanted to get a bit longer with my drives and irons.....I started going for long walks and then graduated to lifting and stretching at home and then I joined a gym and did olympic power lifts. im in my 50s, so I guess I should not expect much.



    3 months of walking and 2 months of running on all hills and inclines and walk on flats and downslope. I did get much better cardio and dropped about 12 lbs. The walks varied from 6-13 miles and the run walks were about 9 miles with about 2 miles of hill runs. I could now walk 36 holes with my carry bag and not be too tired even on hilly courses but I did not gain any distance whatsoever !



    Next I worked out at home with power blocks and did shoulder presses and bench and squats and deadlifts. My dumbbells only go to 100 lbs each so I could only take it so far. I do have a background in lifting. ( I used to workout about 20-25 years ago ) so the strength came back reasonably quick for my age. I increased about 30% in strength and did not gain any distance whatsoever.



    At this point I decided flexibility was my key problem. I purchased a stretching pole and the MISIG ( Most Important stretch in golf ) I used those and followed instructions. I still kept up with my lifting but cut my walking/running by about half. After 8 weeks, I saw zero improvement in distance but I did feel more connected through my swing and my balance improved. I noticed that my finish was not as complete as I would like and have focused on shoulder turn and finish of the swing.



    Next I joined a gym and that was fun, I started doing full squats and Power Cleans and Bench press and Deadlifts and calve raises and Pullups and I rowed about 5000m 2-3X a week. After about 10 weeks, im starting to max out in strength. My bench is about 300 and my squat is about 350 and deadlift is about 325 ( weak because I never deadlifted before in my younger days ). Im sure I can get to 350 bench and 450 squat by the end of the year. But sadly my distance did not improve. In fact I suffered a biceps injury and am currently under the care of a TPI Physical therapist and trainer.



    Its a very minor injury and my next step is to employ a swing coach to help me with getting some distance.



    * It is truly amazing how much effort I have put in and how absolutely zero results I have gotten as a result of my exercising. Haha and my swing speed and ball speed is very pedestrian. ( too ashamed to actually list it ! )





    My only success has been optimizing my angle of attack and launch angle and backspin.....I swing slow as a slough but im doing the most with my meager swing speed.




    Great write-up. That was me all over at the start of last year.



    Likely you have build a great foundation for gaining speed through all of your efforts, and simply haven't learned to swing faster yet.



    SuperSpeed Golf and a swing speed radar could easily be your ticket to significantly more yards off the tee. The fact that you've done the foundational work but still have slow swing speed just makes the potential up-side even more exciting...






    Yep....that is next on my list....super speed golf !!!!!
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,645 ✭✭
    puresurfr wrote:
    PorscheFan wrote:

    puresurfr wrote:


    Im glad this topic was introduced, I wanted to get a bit longer with my drives and irons.....I started going for long walks and then graduated to lifting and stretching at home and then I joined a gym and did olympic power lifts. im in my 50s, so I guess I should not expect much.



    3 months of walking and 2 months of running on all hills and inclines and walk on flats and downslope. I did get much better cardio and dropped about 12 lbs. The walks varied from 6-13 miles and the run walks were about 9 miles with about 2 miles of hill runs. I could now walk 36 holes with my carry bag and not be too tired even on hilly courses but I did not gain any distance whatsoever !



    Next I worked out at home with power blocks and did shoulder presses and bench and squats and deadlifts. My dumbbells only go to 100 lbs each so I could only take it so far. I do have a background in lifting. ( I used to workout about 20-25 years ago ) so the strength came back reasonably quick for my age. I increased about 30% in strength and did not gain any distance whatsoever.



    At this point I decided flexibility was my key problem. I purchased a stretching pole and the MISIG ( Most Important stretch in golf ) I used those and followed instructions. I still kept up with my lifting but cut my walking/running by about half. After 8 weeks, I saw zero improvement in distance but I did feel more connected through my swing and my balance improved. I noticed that my finish was not as complete as I would like and have focused on shoulder turn and finish of the swing.



    Next I joined a gym and that was fun, I started doing full squats and Power Cleans and Bench press and Deadlifts and calve raises and Pullups and I rowed about 5000m 2-3X a week. After about 10 weeks, im starting to max out in strength. My bench is about 300 and my squat is about 350 and deadlift is about 325 ( weak because I never deadlifted before in my younger days ). Im sure I can get to 350 bench and 450 squat by the end of the year. But sadly my distance did not improve. In fact I suffered a biceps injury and am currently under the care of a TPI Physical therapist and trainer.



    Its a very minor injury and my next step is to employ a swing coach to help me with getting some distance.



    * It is truly amazing how much effort I have put in and how absolutely zero results I have gotten as a result of my exercising. Haha and my swing speed and ball speed is very pedestrian. ( too ashamed to actually list it ! )





    My only success has been optimizing my angle of attack and launch angle and backspin.....I swing slow as a slough but im doing the most with my meager swing speed.




    Great write-up. That was me all over at the start of last year.



    Likely you have build a great foundation for gaining speed through all of your efforts, and simply haven't learned to swing faster yet.



    SuperSpeed Golf and a swing speed radar could easily be your ticket to significantly more yards off the tee. The fact that you've done the foundational work but still have slow swing speed just makes the potential up-side even more exciting...






    Yep....that is next on my list....super speed golf !!!!!




    Owww my back!! Lol
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,671 ✭✭
    edited Feb 9, 2019 6:09am #46
    Low weight, high rep compound and movement-based exercises. And walking...lots and lots of walking.
  • VanSwagger83VanSwagger83 Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    puresurfr wrote:


    Im glad this topic was introduced, I wanted to get a bit longer with my drives and irons.....I started going for long walks and then graduated to lifting and stretching at home and then I joined a gym and did olympic power lifts. im in my 50s, so I guess I should not expect much.



    3 months of walking and 2 months of running on all hills and inclines and walk on flats and downslope. I did get much better cardio and dropped about 12 lbs. The walks varied from 6-13 miles and the run walks were about 9 miles with about 2 miles of hill runs. I could now walk 36 holes with my carry bag and not be too tired even on hilly courses but I did not gain any distance whatsoever !



    Next I worked out at home with power blocks and did shoulder presses and bench and squats and deadlifts. My dumbbells only go to 100 lbs each so I could only take it so far. I do have a background in lifting. ( I used to workout about 20-25 years ago ) so the strength came back reasonably quick for my age. I increased about 30% in strength and did not gain any distance whatsoever.



    At this point I decided flexibility was my key problem. I purchased a stretching pole and the MISIG ( Most Important stretch in golf ) I used those and followed instructions. I still kept up with my lifting but cut my walking/running by about half. After 8 weeks, I saw zero improvement in distance but I did feel more connected through my swing and my balance improved. I noticed that my finish was not as complete as I would like and have focused on shoulder turn and finish of the swing.



    Next I joined a gym and that was fun, I started doing full squats and Power Cleans and Bench press and Deadlifts and calve raises and Pullups and I rowed about 5000m 2-3X a week. After about 10 weeks, im starting to max out in strength. My bench is about 300 and my squat is about 350 and deadlift is about 325 ( weak because I never deadlifted before in my younger days ). Im sure I can get to 350 bench and 450 squat by the end of the year. But sadly my distance did not improve. In fact I suffered a biceps injury and am currently under the care of a TPI Physical therapist and trainer.



    Its a very minor injury and my next step is to employ a swing coach to help me with getting some distance.



    * It is truly amazing how much effort I have put in and how absolutely zero results I have gotten as a result of my exercising. Haha and my swing speed and ball speed is very pedestrian. ( too ashamed to actually list it ! )





    My only success has been optimizing my angle of attack and launch angle and backspin.....I swing slow as a slough but im doing the most with my meager swing speed.





    Just finished reading the "crazy thoughts" that spewed from my head..... All of the stuff I did has increased my golf fitness. But had zero effect on swing speed. Addressing the best area of golf fitness to work on is individual for each person, I think you should work on the area that you are most deficient in.....If you are stiff get stronger and if you are weak get physically stronger focusing on legs and back and core. If you don't have much time, running 30 flights of stairs and doing 50 burpees with a jump at the end takes a min amount of time but it will do wonders for your overall golf fitness.




    Hopefully your TPI instructor also has you start working in some med ball throws, lot of different ways to do them and they can be very beneficial in starting to take some of that strength and foundation and put more into power (much easier on the body than olympic lifts most of the time, unless the person has great mobility and stability).




    Low weight, high rep compound and movement-based exercises. And walking...lots and lots of walking.


    I would actually say that's a common misconception, you certainly can lift heavy (Brooks Koepka *sp?), just have to make sure you're doing it correctly and your body has the foundation for it.
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    If you’re a numbskull like me, you can build your own DIY percussion massager using a jigsaw, a universal attachment, and a massage ball...



  • Ryan3773Ryan3773 Members Posts: 204 ✭✭
    PepsiDuck wrote:


    Mine is: don’t listen to Brandel, et al., who say that lifting heavy is “bad for golf”... I have my personal theories on why heavy weight trainers may struggle with the golf swing, and there’s a pretty straightforward solution, so to speak, that can mitigate the issue.



    EDIT: And by “heavy,” I mean relative to your own body’s general abilities and limitations.




    Agreed with this. Why in the world would it be bad to squat and deadlift heavy (provided you don’t lose flexibility)?
  • puresurfrpuresurfr Members Posts: 1,895 ✭✭
    PorscheFan wrote:


    If you're a numbskull like me, you can build your own DIY percussion massager using a jigsaw, a universal attachment, and a massage ball...







    Very nicely done ! Does it work well ?
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    puresurfr wrote:

    PorscheFan wrote:


    If you're a numbskull like me, you can build your own DIY percussion massager using a jigsaw, a universal attachment, and a massage ball...







    Very nicely done ! Does it work well ?




    It’s fantastic, actually. It packs a punch! I’m doing assisted stretching at Massage Envy and they use a Hyperice Hypervolt, and this is basically the same effect.



    Some of the pro percussion massagers are basically modified reciprocating saws, so there are a lot of examples on YouTube of how to make them. Some companies even sell the massaging attachments specifically for reciprocating saws.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,854 ✭✭
    I alternate night of cardio and circuit training



    Cardio is just treadmill speed walking with inclines mixed in .. 1hr



    Circuit training is 4 - 6 mins on a treadmill then a circuit of strength exercises: planks, ab roller, bench, fly's, curls, lats, Trx



    I also do full depth squats with only a medicine ball or smash ball



    Rinse and repeat. Takes 90 mins or so



    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • DGA3DGA3 Members Posts: 143 ✭✭
    This is all great information.



    Keep it coming, and thank you, everybody! image/ok.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ok:' />
  • puresurfrpuresurfr Members Posts: 1,895 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2019 4:02pm #54
    Just started doing Landmine exercises, Shoulder presses with 180* twist......simply wrecks my abs in a good way......and it makes me realize how weak my rotational muscles are......this and power cleans and burpees up to a 36" box and drop to a jump squat seem to be making me more explosive.......and of course stretching !
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • J2puttsJ2putts Members Posts: 611 ✭✭
    I walk 90% of the time , that's my "fitness"
    Cobra F9 9.0 PX Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
    Callaway XR16 Pro 3W 14.0 Fujikura Speeder 765
    Callaway XR Pro 2 Hybrid 18.0 PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC 5 thru 7 iron
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 8 thru PW ( irons all PX LZ 6.0 120G )
    Callaway MD3 50 S Grind
    Callaway MD3 54 S Grind
    Callaway MD3 58 W Grind
    Oddysey Versa #9
  • elthrillelthrill Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    most people wont gain any consistent noticeable improvement in distance with strength gain via weight training that will justify the time commitment. now, if you are overweight and you lose some body mass in the middle you can increase swing speed pretty noticeably, because a big belly for most folks is an anchor to rotational speed. but just adding to your squat and bench isnt going to do much for most golfers. and even so, 10 yards of driving distance for an amateur player does very little to change your score! seriously. what is the difference between 260 and 270? 220 and 230? it just doesnt matter. its no where near worth all the time and effort. your better served to spend the time chipping and putting or just making center face contact with driver. far more results that will consistently help your score.



    to me if you are going to dedicate the time and effort to see gains, you need to see exactly how this will result in scoring. If you drive it 220 and can get up to 250 drives without losing accuracy or much accuracy.... i can see it really helping scoring. but to grind away in the gym for maybe 10-12 yards....just doesnt make sense. its not going to help you score that much.



    basic fitness, strength training, stretching to prevent injury and stay healthy. thats the reason to do it. sadly, its not going to help you hit much further.
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    I think something that gets lost really quickly in these topics is the potential for benefits other than distance.



    Pros spend a lot of time working on flexibility, balance, and stability and that's not all to add yards.



    What about being able to hit it more consistently because your posture and balance have improved, or because strength and flexibility improvements aren't forcing you to come out of posture?



    What about being able to play 18 with a consistent swing, vs. the cracks appearing towards the back end of the round?



    I wonder how many golfers who pleasure the goat do so because it's physically difficult or impossible to smoothly translate their front bend into side bend and to post effectively, vs. just not 'making the right move'....
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,645 ✭✭
    What about posture? Has anyone made Posture changes and seen improvement?

    I know with these dang phones and computers we all sit hunched over all the time. It has to affect the golf swing if your upper spine cannot rotate.
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    BB28403 wrote:


    What about posture? Has anyone made Posture changes and seen improvement?

    I know with these dang phones and computers we all sit hunched over all the time. It has to affect the golf swing if your upper spine cannot rotate.




    Getting there. Take a look at GravityFit golf. Helps correct bad posture from weak/rounded shoulders. Golf swing feels hyper- restricted and weird after using it. Cameron Smith and others are actively using the product.
  • josh4011josh4011 ClubWRX Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Flexibility & Mobility: Yoga, Kinetic Stretches and Controlled Articular Joint Rotation, I do shoulder and hip mobility exercises almost daily with and without bands



    Cardio, Strength and Speed: Jump Rope, HIIT Jump variations with and without rotation, Glute Hip thrusts & variations (google/instagram Bret Contreras for best glute workouts), glute/ham raises, single leg and traditional dead lifts (60% of max with speed), ab roller, planks and oblique strengthening exercises
  • elthrillelthrill Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    PorscheFan wrote:


    I think something that gets lost really quickly in these topics is the potential for benefits other than distance.



    Pros spend a lot of time working on flexibility, balance, and stability and that's not all to add yards.



    What about being able to hit it more consistently because your posture and balance have improved, or because strength and flexibility improvements aren't forcing you to come out of posture?



    What about being able to play 18 with a consistent swing, vs. the cracks appearing towards the back end of the round?



    I wonder how many golfers who pleasure the goat do so because it's physically difficult or impossible to smoothly translate their front bend into side bend and to post effectively, vs. just not 'making the right move'....




    absolutely! being healthier. avoiding injury. feeling better. having more energy. all great things! its just talked about too much that fitness and strength is going to have a big impact on your distance. for the average person, they will see far more distance by learning to hit the middle of the face with a proper swing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file