ASK QUESTIONS NOW: Srixon Z STAR and Z STAR XV Live Q&A! Friday, February 8th 12PM ET / 9AM PT!

knudson81knudson81 My WITB is $100 but my swing is $.50Marshals, Media Staffer Posts: 3,131 mod
edited Feb 18, 2019 11:45am in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment #1
Srixon has updated the Z STAR and Z STAR XV balls for 2019 and are ready to answer your questions! Join us on Friday, February 8th (12 PM ET/9 AM PST) for a LIVE R&D Chat with Srixon's product experts on all things new Z STAR. They'll cover the features of the Z STAR line as well as changes to the new ball from last generation along with a whole lot more.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Submit your questions now, and we’ll see you for the chat! [/font]

Who's on the Srixon Panel:
  • Jeff Brunski
  • Brian Schielke
  • Zack Oakley

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]When’s It Happening:[/font]

Friday, February 8th, 12 PM ET/9 AM PT

Giveaway:

Thank you to everyone who participated in the chat! The winners of the Srixon golf balls are...

DBill

Hernasco

ThunderBuzzworth

2012BFT

Mnallette

Thank you to Srixon for taking the time to answer all our questions!
Make sure to follow Two Guys Talking Golf!

Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

tg2_badgeV2_125.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Puttersaurus RexPuttersaurus Rex one swing at a time Members Posts: 545 ✭✭
    What are the spin characteristics of the new line vs. the previous version? For example the new Z star spins ______ than the old one for driver.

I love how Srixon's play in the wind. Thank you!
    I don't always play minimal, but when I do:
    Driver, 5 wood, 4 hybrid, 6, 8, PW, 54, putter
  • endyendy Members Posts: 3,253 ✭✭
    Were you able to retain the durability of the XV while making it softer feeling and lower compression?
    Srixon Z785 9.5* Fuji Ventus 7X
    Srixon F85 13.5* Atmos Black TS 8TX
    Srixon H85 19* Oban Kiyoshi Black 90X
    Srixon Z785 4-PW KBS $-Taper 130X
    Cleveland RTX-4 50/54/60 TI S400
    Toulon Garage Columbus
    Srixon Z-Star XV
  • bu11dogbu11dog Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭
    edited Feb 6, 2019 10:06pm #4
    How do you keep making golf balls that defy the wind? The best wind ball I've ever played.

Is this version going to sound a little softer off the putter?

You guys going to run the 6 ball packs again for $10? What if we say pretty please? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • MnaletteMnalette Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Why is the Srixon Z and/or XV the right ball for a mid handicapper like me?
  • chillsterchillster Members Posts: 13
    I currently play the Zstar XV and love it’s all round performance. From what I understand the compression on the 2019 Z Star XV has been lowered. Does lowering the compression have any impact on its spin, launch angle, or distance characteristics?

• DBillDBill Members Posts: 1,123 ✭✭
    edited Feb 5, 2019 11:16pm #7
    Long time user of the Z Star XV. 2 part question here.

How do you continue to push out a great product at a price point cheaper than other large competitors? With that, thank you so much for keeping them at $39.99 a dozen here in the US!

With the addition of many direct to consumer balls to the market, where do you see the ball market going in the future?
  • rbj69rbj69 Members Posts: 713 ✭✭
    edited Feb 7, 2019 1:17am #8
    I'm wondering why the xv is supposed to have a higher ball flight than the standard ZSTAR ? the older models were opposite right?
    Taylormade M16 with Tensei Orange shaft
    Taylormade 3 wd with tensei orange shaft
    Callaway Rogue 3hybrid with aldila synergy shaft
    4-pw Srixon Z785/Zforged combo with px lz shafts
    Cleveland 50 rtx4 wedge
    Cleveland 56 rtx4 wedge
    Evnroll 1.2 Blacked out
    Cleveland Huntington Soft 11 CS blacked out
    Balls 19'Srixon Zstar xv and Zstar and others
  • Damenace613Damenace613 Sunny San DiegoClubWRX Posts: 628 ClubWRX
    How has the performance packs helped the brand and recognition? It seems to be a great marketing tool to allow consumers to try out a ball such as the Z Star or Z Star XV.
    TaylorMade M5 Fujikura Ventus
    TaylorMade M1 2017 3HL
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    TaylorMade RSi2 B Version 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120
    TaylorMade PSi AW C-Taper 105
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 54*
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58*
    TaylorMade MySpider Tour (Black & White)
  • OaksOaks Member of #TeamJetSpeed Ocean StateClubWRX Posts: 2,399 ClubWRX
    Besides Spin Numbers do the balls launch differently and in testing are there additional gains in distance over the prior generation?
    M1 440 9.5* - ACCRA TZP Proto 265 M5      X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X     JetSpeed 19* w Matrix Hm95X 
    MP-63 3-PW - Project X 6.0      RTX4  54.10 & 60.09 - DG TI S400     Toulon Portland    Titleist  2016 Ultralight
    #TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013
  • HernascoHernasco Members Posts: 103 ✭✭
    I don't quite understand why golf governing bodies allow so much leeway in golf ball performance manufacturing characteristics. In baseball, football, tennis, etc. every player is playing with a ball with same characteristics, but in golf matches players use all sorts of golf balls with different characteristics like 2 piece, 3 piece, 4 piece, low spin, high spin, soft, hard cover etc. Thoughts? Thanks.
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members Posts: 1,549 ✭✭
    Can you guys break down how the balls would presumably differ for swing ranges. For example, would someone with 105+ lose anything playing the Z vs XV. At what point does a player lose the benefits of a ball based on swing speed?
    8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • BearQBearQ Members Posts: 3,510 ✭✭
    What is a common theme you hear from pleased tour or college players about the ball performance. Amongst the Srixon sponsored players in my area they all rave about the wind play and general flight.
    Cobra LTD Pro 9.5* - Matrix Type C 70X
    TM M2 Tour 3W or 3HL - Matrix Black Tie 80M4-X
    TM TP UDI #3 (20*) - Matrix Black Tie HM4 105X
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*)  Nike VR Forged (56DS)  Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 35" - ping blackout

• Bunker2Bunker0noBunker2Bunker0no Members Posts: 239 ✭✭
    We know with the advances of launch data how spin rates can affect distance and the roles that balls can play on those numbers. But for those of us that "fight" hooks/slices, can the spin characteristics of the ball also help lessen the side spin curve? If so, which new model will help more in this? Thanks for your time and great products.
  • GolfGrouchGolfGrouch Members Posts: 462 ✭✭
    How is SeRM (Slide Ring Material) different from conventional urethane?
    Your "GolfWRX Likes" are greatly appreciated!
    • Titleist 690MB Forged Irons 3-PW
    • Nike Vapor Fly Pro Driver with MRC Diamana S+ Blue Board Stiff Shaft
    • TaylorMade V-Steel 15° 3-Wood
    • Titleist Spin Milled 56° and 60° Wedges
    • Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec Putter
  • kiw1982kiw1982 Members Posts: 1,209 ✭✭
    why should I buy your ball over the others?

What is your most confident value of your ball?

Mizuno        ST-180 Driver w/KuroKage HBP 50 S+
    Taylormade  M6 3 Wood w/NV 2KXV Blue 75 S+
    Mizuno        CLK  3 Hybrid w/Tensei Blue HB 80  S+
    Taylormade  P790 4-G Irons w/KBS Tour 130 S+
    Mizuno        T7 56/10 Wedge w/KBS Tour 130 S+
    Mizuno        S18 60/06 Wedge w/KBS Tour 130 S+
    Odyssey      O-Works 1WS Putter
  • shintonshinton Members Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited Feb 6, 2019 3:17pm #17
    I'm a big fan of the Z Star and XV, I only have 1 issue with last years Z Star line of balls. I get maybe 6 or 7 holes out of them before the seam on the cover starts to reveal itself. I've brought this up to customer service and they've told me that they have had similar complaints and assure me that the performance will not be hindered. Though it is really bothersome to me to look down and see what looks like a crack in the cover at times and be confident that its going to perform. My question is have you addressed this with the 2019 version and if so what have you done differently to make these more durable? see below for a few quick pics i took last year.

• slededsleded Members Posts: 282 ✭✭
    How much of a difference is there in the softness of the cover of the new ball with SeRM vs. the previous versions is there, if there is any? Are the covers on the XV and the Z Star the same?
  • Marks23Marks23 Members Posts: 1,255 ✭✭
    edited Feb 6, 2019 5:56pm #19
    Are these new balls rated for a player based on driver swing speed? Which model would you recommend for swingspeed around 95 mph player looking for more distance with the driver?
  • DeacLaw05DeacLaw05 Members Posts: 366 ✭✭
    I have played a version of the Z-Star since 2015. I found that I preferred the Z-Star in that iteration, but moved to the Z-Star XV with the 2017 version. I have really liked the feel of the XV off the face, particularly with driver, woods, and hybrids. It is great in the wind, and the overall durability is fantastic. I always switch to a yellow ball for the winter months, and was only able to find Z-Stars this year. Now I have found that I have appreciated the wedge spin and the softer feel i get off of a milled putter face with the Z-Star. I believe I read that the difference in compression between the new versions has been narrowed (slightly firmer for the Z-Star and slightly softer for the XV). What performance changes are most noticeable with the updates? Help me decide which version to play!
  • youngunz5840youngunz5840 Members Posts: 2,341 ✭✭
    What role does the putter play in designing a new ball? Most mention distance and spin but the putter performance can make a big impact
  • chiefyarbschiefyarbs Members Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Of course we'd love to hear the specific performance improvements or changes between the 2019 and old models. I'm curious also as to who you view each ball would be for in terms of swing speed, performance, launch, and other factors whether performance or feel based? And as much as we want to talk about the upsides always, it be great to hear the trade-offs/downsides between one ball and the other, like what or how much am I giving up for some other aspect of performance?

Personally I've been mostly gaming the Z-Star the last few years due to the amazing green side spin/control. However I've been testing the XV and TP5/TP5x lines to get a bit more launch/height off full shots. Will be interested to see where I end up between the 4 (though I've still got like 4 boxes of the old Z-Stars that I need to go through regardless).
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 - UST Miamiya Attas3 5S [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade 2016 M2 3W[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex 2H/18[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]°[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF 16 4-AW - XP 95 s300[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Crenshaw/Masters 56.12[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]°[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland 588 Forged 60.14[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]°[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade Spider Tour Red with Sighline[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon Z-Star '17[/font]
  • getair23getair23 Members Posts: 2,015 ✭✭
    How do the guys on tour view the updated ball? How quickly did they switch, if they did?

Thank you,
    Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5TX 
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5 Elements Chrome 7F5T
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* KBS C-Taper s+
    Titleist Studio Design 2
    Pro V1
  • azkaevolutionazkaevolution Members Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Have there been any changes to the dimples to affect the flight characteristics?
    Callaway GBB (2015) 10.5*, KK Black TiNi 50 R
    Callaway XR 17*, Project X LZ 50 
    Callaway XR16 Steelhead 19* Hybrid, Matrix Ozik Program F15 65g
    Adams New Idea 25*, Bassara Eagle R-flex
    Mizuno 2016 JPX EZ Forged, 5i-PW TT XP95 R300
    Titleist SM7 Vokey 50.08 F Grind
    Titleist SM5 Vokey 54.10 M Grind
    Callaway MD2 Tour 58.09 T Grind
    Odyssey Versa Black 90 V-line Superstroke
  • dave williedave willie Members Posts: 804 ✭✭
    edited Feb 7, 2019 2:49pm #25
    I am curious about the construction of the Z-Star, i.e. one piece core with a urethane cover. Most premium balls have multiple inner layers. How does the solid core give it spin around the green while still achieving good distance off the tee?

I have been using this ball since the first version was introduced, and prefer the softer feel compared to the XV. The Z-Star feels similar to a ProV1, but why does the seemingly simpler construction compared to the ProV1 give similar results and better (for me) scoring?
    Titleist 917 D3 10.5 Diamana Ltd S+ Blue 70-S
    Cobra Bio Cell 3/4 wood PXv 6.0
    Cleveland Hi-Bore 19 hybrid
    Ping i210 4-PW AWT 2.0 R
    Cleveland 588 50*, 54* & 60*
    Cameron Mil-Spec 
  • ThunderBuzzworthThunderBuzzworth Hulk... Smash!! Members Posts: 2,568 ✭✭
    I am a long time loyalist of the Z Star XV yellow and I am excited and nervous about this new version. In my opinion the 2017 XV was a perfect ball for my high speed game so if this ball is improved I cannot wait to try it.

Has spin skin been affected at all? In version previous to 2017 version, I always noticed that your ball seems to “slide” up the face of my scoring clubs. The 2017 version really dialed in the cover to be able to produce the low flighted, high spinning wedge shots. Is SeRM going to be even better? Am I going to want to trade my 2017’s in for the 2019?

Does the new design featuring a seamless cover?

Thanks guys, best ball on the market at the best price on the market, I don’t understand how anyone can argue ZStar line is not the absolute best value in premium golf balls. I’m trying to get people to make the switch on a daily basis
    Current WITB

Taylormade 2016 M1 7.8* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* (Tensei Pro white 90tx)
    Titleist 716 TMB 19* (DG X100)
    Callaway 18’ X Forged 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 130)
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50F black (x100)
    Titleist Vokey TVD 55K black (x100)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60D black (x100)
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34”
    Srixon Z Star XV 17’ Yellow
  • Digger818Digger818 ClubWRX Posts: 69 ClubWRX
    edited Feb 7, 2019 6:41pm #27
  • 2012BFT2012BFT Members Posts: 537 ✭✭
    Hi, Srixon Team! I am long time Z-Star fan... (especially since my initials are "ZZ") but I would like to know more about what your team is most proud of with this new generation of the line. What is the biggest breakthrough or engineering feat that the team was able to accomplish that translated to enhanced performance?

Additionally, what does your tour seeding process look like? Do you get many requests from non Srixon Staffers that want to "shop out" the ball?

Thanks for your time and I really look forward to trying out the new line.

Zach
    PING G400 LST w/ PX HC EF 65g 6.5
    Callaway 816 16*
    Titleist TMB 3i DG AMT
    Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
    Vokey SM6 50, 54, 60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Snell MTB X
  • jcorna01jcorna01 Members Posts: 633 ✭✭
    How many of your tour staff are playing the regular Z-star vs the XV? What is the reason they prefer the standard Z Star?
  • Cleveland_GolfCleveland_Golf Sponsors Posts: 148
    bu11dog wrote:

How do you keep making golf balls that defy the wind? The best wind ball I've ever played.

Is this version going to sound a little softer off the putter?

You guys going to run the 6 ball packs again for $10? What if we say pretty please? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

[background=transparent]We’re dedicated to golf ball design. Ball innovation is what drives us every day, and we strive to make the top performing, highest quality balls in golf. Dimple design and testing is very rigorous and takes massive computing power and simulation, which we’ve been doing for years (think AI…). Plus it’s very difficult and expensive to actually prototype dimple patterns to test. We have proprietary equipment and processes that allow us to test many different versions and we’re continually doing so. Having this focus for so many years has lead to a dimple pattern that really works exceptionally in the wind, but even in still conditions. [/background]
  • Cleveland_GolfCleveland_Golf Sponsors Posts: 148
    Mnalette wrote:

Why is the Srixon Z and/or XV the right ball for a mid handicapper like me?

[background=transparent]I’d recommend testing both, but likely the Z-STAR will be best. The Z-STAR launches a little higher off the tee and mid/long irons, which is helpful for a lot of mid handicap golfers.[/background]