Never giving up and college coaches

tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
One of the things I notice and hear how you have to game rankings. While some of that is sadly true. Most think if you have a bad round you should withdraw. That doesn't help you in rankings because of the way they work. Bad first round and then WD without a valid reason I believe is going to hurt more in the long run.

Actually if have you a bad first round wouldn't having a great second round be a huge positive to most coaches. I would think for college coaches doing better on the second day constantly is very important.

I have a feeling this a big aspect that coaches read in between the lines. I don't know maybe I am wrong on this.

Comments

• darter79darter79 Members Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if I were a college coach and saw a lot of first rounds scores that here higher and WD the next. I would walk away. Shows me you are a quitter. Its gets hard you walk away. I surely hope this isn't a real thing out there.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 6, 2019 12:20pm #3
    darter79 wrote:

if I were a college coach and saw a lot of first rounds scores that here higher and WD the next. I would walk away. Shows me you are a quitter. Its gets hard you walk away. I surely hope this isn't a real thing out there.

You would be surprised at people to find a lot people thinks this helps. I think at one time it did because unless you completed a round it was not reported. However they do report it now.

The other loophole is a bad second round they withdraw but I think that is obvious too. If you start a tournament unless you have a valid reason I would think your better off finishing.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    tiger1873 wrote:

darter79 wrote:

You would be surprised at people to find a lot people thinks this helps. I think at one time it did because unless you completed a round it was not reported. However they do report it now.

The other loophole is a bad second round they withdraw but I think that is obvious too. If you start a tournament unless you have a valid reason you better finish.

If it is a legit injury, a lot of directors won't report it JGS.

College coaches aren't stupid. They want to see bad rounds. They stay away from kids with WD, NC, for the most part.
  • Pinewood GolferPinewood Golfer Members Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    tiger1873 wrote:

One of the things I notice and hear how you have to game rankings. While some of that is sadly true. Most think if you have a bad round you should withdraw. That doesn't help you in rankings because of the way they work. Bad first round and then WD without a valid reason I believe is going to hurt more in the long run.

Actually if have you a bad first round wouldn't having a great second round be a huge positive to most coaches. I would think for college coaches doing better on the second day constantly is very important.

I have a feeling this a big aspect that coaches read in between the lines. I don't know maybe I am wrong on this.

JGS records all fcompleted and finished rounds and take the top 75% of them. If you play a crappy round and WD then all it accomplishes is adding a crappy round to your list. If you’re playing poorly and confident that you’re going to have another crappy round then keeping that off would, I guess, help. But if you follow it with a good round, possibly even a great round, then it can actually help. You’re gonna have throw away scores (25% of them, actually).

JGS doesn’t punish for poor finishes. They do, however, reward top finishes. They also reward field strength and if you play crappy in a highly rated event and WD then you won’t get the field strength benefit, which hurts.

AJGA doesn’t factor in score—only finish. And you get the same number of points (0) for a WD as you do a crappy finish.

Golfweek looks only at who you beat and who beats you on a round by round basis, as well as your score relative to others, again, on a round by round basis. So, WD’ing after a crappy round only ensures a crappy relative score and opponent record for that day without giving yourself the chance to make up for it the next day.

So, WD’ing after a bad round isn’t helpful unless your confident the crappy play will just continue. And it looks bad to have a bunch of WD’s on the resume

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file