Junior golfers, the modern golf swing and back injury

wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat SunflowerMembers Posts: 875 ✭✭
edited Feb 6, 2019 12:29pm in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1
An interesting read and something I am always thinking about with my 8YO. Repetitive injury is one of the reasons we put the golf clubs down (or only take them out 1/month) for at least 3-4 months out of the year.

Golf Digest Story: https://www.golfdige...instagram_story

Referenced item in the story: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/02/190205090519.htm

What do you think the major risks are for a growing junior golfer? Repetition? Swing mechanics? Incorrect equipment? Year round golf? Poor instruction?

Comments

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    Specialization is a huge contributing factor with injury. A balanced seasonal approach to multiple sports is probably the safest way to avoid repetitive use injury. You also want to make sure you are developing the athlete from both sides so doing things like opposite side swings will help strengthen their growing bodies.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    This why you should be finding an instructor who is aware about injuries that can occur and worked to prevent them. It should be your first priority as a parent and in my opinion the very reason you seek an instructor for a younger kid.

So many focus on winning when the kid is under 10 and have no clue why the kid blows out his back. Injuries happen in sports and prevention is always important.
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,853 ✭✭
    How long did Sam Snead play? 100 years, more or less, without injury? Big shoulder turn, big hip turn, powerful, graceful, and by all evidence, not hard on the body.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,852 ClubWRX
    leezer99 wrote:

Specialization is a huge contributing factor with injury. A balanced seasonal approach to multiple sports is probably the safest way to avoid repetitive use injury. You also want to make sure you are developing the athlete from both sides so doing things like opposite side swings will help strengthen their growing bodies.

Yes and also swing mechanics. I've seen a few swings from juniors out there that make me cringe. This one kid in particular tries to kill the ball with a huge head dip and turn kind of like Natalie Gulbis.
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Members Posts: 299 ✭✭
    Interesting. We’re trying to work on a swing change that, based on a reputable coach, many juniors seem to face. I am actually trying to restrict hip turn (modern X factor). My son’s hip opens up so much that the club appears to flip to the inside unless he sets his wrists early and out - that is a bandaid and trying to make the backswing look more on plane without taking account that his hips are turned 90 degrees at the start of the backswing. I think all the talk about bigger hip turn/straightening back leg is when you’re older and less flexible. What I’m trying to fix is early extension and trying to create better angles.