ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Getting new stuff vs angling for the classic "players bag"

MtlJeffMtlJeff The GOATAdvanced Members Posts: 27,956 ✭✭
So, i've done a few threads lately about new iron sets or drivers....i'm just getting really stir crazy at not having new things. Since my fitting in Carlsbad i have used the same bag (with some light driver swapping) for 2 years now.

I could keep riding this and end up with the "oh ****, that guy's got 3-4 year old forged irons with dings on them, he must be bad*ss" mojo....

Or i could just get new things and be really happy about having new things

Anyone ever deal with these ridiculous, first world problems? What do i do about this?

asking for a friend.
Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV 65
Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank

Comments

• tannyhobantannyhoban Advanced Members Posts: 1,793 ✭✭
    Pursue both. It's really the only way out.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff The GOAT Advanced Members Posts: 27,956 ✭✭
    LoL...you might be right. Only I feel better about myself if I can make choices
  • StormsStorms Members Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Maybe take that money you would spend on new sticks and treat yourself to some nice courses instead? I think sometimes this forum steers us into playing musical clubs rather than golf, lol.
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow
    Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rouge Black
    TaylorMade M1 19* Aldila Rouge Black
    Titleist 585H 21* Titleist 4175
    TaylorMade Psi Tour 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Akira Tour Issue 54*
    Akira Tour Issue 60*
    Yes! Callie
  • Huntingchris0000Huntingchris0000 Advanced Members Posts: 1,013 ✭✭
    This is exactly where I am at right now. I have played Nike Vapor Pro combos for 3 or 4 years and they work as good as anything I have tried and I have tried a lot. Ping G400 Driver is on its second year and isn’t going anywhere. Just to order something new I ordered a M5 fairway wood
  • chilllwavechilllwave Advanced Members Posts: 348 ✭✭
    When I noticed that having the new stuff wasn’t helping my scores, I decided to stick with what I had and focus on my playing. That’s when golf became much more fun. You have to be in love with your putter though.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway Epic 3W 15˚ - Aldila Rogue Max 75[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike Covert 3H - Kurokage 85 [/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 4-UST Mamiya Recoil F3 95[/font]
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-KBS Tour V 110
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist 716 CB 6/7-KBS Tour V 110[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist 716 MB 8/9/P-KBS Tour V 110[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 - 50F, 55S, 59D[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura KM-007[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Jones Utility Bag[/font]
  • FadeFade Advanced Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

If that buys you real happiness why aren't you at the store?
    Fade wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

It's closed right now, 9pm here
    edited February 6
    I just want new irons that's the problem. First it was rogue pros, now it's forged tecs from Cobra with Nippon 130s

I don't even know why. I just want new stuff
  • FadeFade Advanced Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

Fade wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

It's closed right now, 9pm here

Ah, first world problem indeed then! : )
  • mmack067mmack067 Advanced Members Posts: 679 ✭✭
    Haha I’m going to TXG for a full bag fitting at the end of the month and I have the same fear. I’ve had the same irons in the bag for ages at this point. I even bought a new bag last night!

There’s a solid chance I won’t recognize my own bag by the putting green anymore....
    Ping G400 LST - Copperhead 70TX
    '16 M1 15˚- Rogue Silver 70X
    TaylorMade UDI 20˚- Recoil 110 F5
    TaylorMade RSI TP 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
    Vokey SM7 50F, 54S, 60M - S400
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Sightline

Twitter-icon.png  lDLcKyO.png?1  

• 95124hacker95124hacker Rare putter collection Advanced Members Posts: 1,265 ✭✭
    Does a new set of clubs “spark joy”?
    ‘17 M2 “K serial” 10.5* turned down a notch, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 63S
    '16 M1 3HL (17*), Fujikura Pro 70S
    King F7 2-3 (19*), Fujikura Pro 75h, S
    Epon AF-901 22*, Roddio Pentacross I-8, S
    '11 OnOff Forged 5-PW, Roddio Pentacross I-10, S
    Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 52* & 58*
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
    Ball: Srixon Q-Star
  • carlococarloco Members Posts: 37 ✭✭
    When I’m not hitting my yardages anymore, I’m getting new irons drivers whatever. That’s the point of golf.
    2017 Taylormade M2 Driver 10.5*
    2007 Adams Super Black Hybrid 15*
    2017 Taylormade M3 3 Hybrid Adjusted to 17*
    2017 Taylormade M3 5 Hybrid Adjusted to 22*
    2016 Srixon Z545 5-PW
    2017 Cleveland RTX-3 50,56
    2006 Ping M/B 60*
    2012 Cleveland Tour Action 588 64*
    2017 Cleveland Huntington Beach #4 Putter
  • GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Advanced Members Posts: 1,658 ✭✭
    This is one of the reasons I went with a JDM iron set. They remain unique well beyond their release date and I can play with them as long as I like.
    Callaway Rogue 9.0*
    Taylormade 2016 M2 16.5* fairway wood
    Mizuno JPX 900 3 and 4 hybrids
    Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #7
    Cleveland RTX 4 wedges 50*, 54* and 58*

Does a new set of clubs “spark joy”?

Yes, but I'm trying to convince myself that 2016 apex pros are just as cool LoL. I think mostly I just need support on that
  • grochol17grochol17 Advanced Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

Does a new set of clubs "spark joy"?

Yes, but I'm trying to convince myself that 2016 apex pros are just as cool LoL. I think mostly I just need support on that

I played a set of MP 60s for about 8 years. There's something nice about hitting approach shots with clubs that you know really well. So, I'm definitely an advocate of keeping irons for a long time (especially since the tech on players irons doesn't really change all that much).

But, since this is WRX, you should sell your irons and buy new ones. After one range session, decide the new ones are ****, sell them and buy back you old ones, but with "better" shafts. Find out the shafts really aren't good for you, so you ditch those and buy something completely different. Now you're on your 4th set of irons in under two weeks.
    Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 915 F, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
    Mizuno MP H5, 1&3 iron, C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
    Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
    Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
    Srixon Z Star / Z Star XV 5
  • Jwin323Jwin323 Advanced Members Posts: 1,422 ✭✭
    Jeff, for the cost of new irons you should be able to get a half dozen therapy sessions. If you’re cured sooner you’ll save money.
  • jasona93jasona93 Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    grochol17 wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

I played a set of MP 60s for about 8 years. There's something nice about hitting approach shots with clubs that you know really well. So, I'm definitely an advocate of keeping irons for a long time (especially since the tech on players irons doesn't really change all that much).

But, since this is WRX, you should sell your irons and buy new ones. After one range session, decide the new ones are ****, sell them and buy back you old ones, but with "better" shafts. Find out the shafts really aren't good for you, so you ditch those and buy something completely different. Now you're on your 4th set of irons in under two weeks.

Is this an MP60 player characteristic? I bought a set of Fourteens last year and they lasted 5 shots before I couldn't get over the swingweight and they were too nice looking to slap lead tape all over. Went back to the MP60s. Come back to the forum every time I don't hit a decent number of greens.
  • StormsStorms Members Posts: 58 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

Lol this is where you search for those older 2016 threads where your irons were the new hotness and everyone is raving about how pure they are. That'll hold you over for at least a week
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow
    Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rouge Black
    TaylorMade M1 19* Aldila Rouge Black
    Titleist 585H 21* Titleist 4175
    TaylorMade Psi Tour 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Akira Tour Issue 54*
    Akira Tour Issue 60*
    Yes! Callie
  • MitchellMitchell Advanced Members Posts: 5,420 ✭✭
    Unless new irons perform significantly better for you on real grass, in your normal playing conditions, with ball you normally play- don't change. Considering your locale and difficulty testing under those parameters this time of year, that should delay you a bit🙊
    Taylormade R510tp TI 10.5* Fuji Evo TS 661
    Cleveland launcher DF tour 17* Fuji Rombax 8x07
    TEE CNC forged limited 3-pw DG pro
    Artisan 53* s400
    Artisan 58* s400
    Cameron Laguna '96
  • grochol17grochol17 Advanced Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    jasona93 wrote:

grochol17 wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

Is this an MP60 player characteristic? I bought a set of Fourteens last year and they lasted 5 shots before I couldn't get over the swingweight and they were too nice looking to slap lead tape all over. Went back to the MP60s. Come back to the forum every time I don't hit a decent number of greens.

Must be. I've had the new irons in the bag for almost 3 years now, but I've still got the 60s all nicely stored in a box just in case.
    Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 915 F, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
    Mizuno MP H5, 1&3 iron, C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
    Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
    Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
    Srixon Z Star / Z Star XV 5
  • TPG1971TPG1971 Don't Get Rolled Advanced Members Posts: 953 ✭✭
    Convince yourself to wait until the new Wilson Staff Blades comes out, and then BUY BUY BUY! Hope I helped.
    PING G30 9.5 [font=arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(255, 255, 0)]Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 63 Stiff[/background][/font]
    Titleist 917F 16.5 Diamana Blue Stiff
    Wilson Staff C300 Hybrid 23 Fujikura Pro78 Stiff
    Irons TBD.
    RTX-3 50 bent to 51 DG Ti Onyx S400
    RTX-3 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
    RTX-3 60 bent to 59 DG Ti Onyx S400
    Cameron 009
  • iutoddiutodd Advanced Members Posts: 211 ✭✭
    There’s always wedges and the top of the bag to fiddle with.

Sort of related to this discussion: I just got a set of 745s and my wife said: “how often do you need spend $**** to get new irons?” I did have a moment where I had the same thought process as OP while also wondering just how honest to be about things.
    Storms wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

Lol this is where you search for those older 2016 threads where your irons were the new hotness and everyone is raving about how pure they are. That'll hold you over for at least a week

That's the current strategy. Haha. Like these are still good and cool.

I'm fully aware of how ridiculous it is to want things I admittedly don't need. Nevertheless, I want new stuff.

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Meet Séamus, Squirrel Control Officer Advanced Members Posts: 6,103 ✭✭
    edited February 7
    I admit I've gotten a bit weary of New Toy Frenzy. I find myself looking at picking up older stuff, or playing some of the older stuff I've got. Used a SuperDeep for quite a bit last year, an R11s also got some time, J33R.... For the upcoming season, I'll probably play the SuperDeep again, and plan on trying to play a J's Professional Weapon driver and 3w for a while.

I satisfied my New Toy interest by finding a Ram 58* wedge and a Golden Ram TW282 1 iron, which gives me a full 1-SW set of TW282's.

I've got five sets of Ram Tour Grinds that I could play to keep me occupied image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' />

I've even spent a bit of time looking at picking up TM 200 Steel driver/3w for the **** of it....
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • Ripken08Ripken08 Advanced Members Posts: 4,236 ✭✭
    Get newer old stock so you can look the part and still have new stuff. I just snagged a mint set of MP4s that I am having reshafted to alternate with my 919F.
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Advanced Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
    What you should do?

#1 Set a GOLF Goal that's so exciting on your day off you would leap out of bed to pursue it.

#2 Take lessons on 4 parts of the game:
    • Power Swing
    • Short Game
    • Putting
    • On course

By no means am I telling you to "Follow the Sun"

What I am saying is this gnawing feeling that you and I have will be abated in a positive fashion if you act upon it.

So even if you take lessons causally which is what I would recommend.

Just taking them over a period of time will help you to know your game/swing better etc all and over time you'll actually improve and gain more fun from golf than you would from having some of the best irons of 2021.

Maybe for you as the best golfer in your Provence (Oh Canada!) well fitting irons from 2019 will suffice, or you will even know yourself well enough to know if you want to have that **** players bag or the most functional bag you can find to beat up on your friends when you play?

And some of that confidence will come from taking the bear head on and knowing you're improving.

2ndarily if you HAVE to cop-out why wouldn't you make the trip to Toronto this Summer and link up with Ian at TXG?

Seems like a no brainer and then how **** would your bag be?
    [size=4 ]Comparisons are odious.
    I'd have to murder a lot of people to be the best player in my province!
  • lil'mikelil'mike Advanced Members Posts: 1,260 ✭✭
    I don't upgrade just to upgrade! I have done it in the past but now I would only do this if it is an improvement/benefit over what I already have!

In fact, I just took out of my bag a new set of Cally XR irons that I played two rounds with them and just don't care for them and put a set of old Pings in its place! Now I have a $400 set that looks pretty just sitting here!!!

I do have a G400 driver which was added after I did a driver fitting because I couldn't get any consistency with the driver I had and that driver was excellent for me!
  • ChadwickogChadwickog Advanced Members Posts: 284 ✭✭
    You gotta look at it from a different perspective. You've got your 'players' bag for when you gotta go flex on 'em. You've got your new bag for when you've gotta hang with the 'cool' crowd (who actually wants to hang with them though). and you've got your minimalist bag that you can walk a quick 9 with or hit the range or play a round with some buddies at the drop of the hat.

I myself have the first and last bags, except I am not what you would call a 'player'
  • CwebbCwebb Advanced Members Posts: 5,847 ✭✭
    You could also feel good about stepping off the merry go round and sticking with clubs that fit you well and have earned some trust image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • kro88kro88 Advanced Members Posts: 119 ✭✭
    You are getting consumed by the marketing of "New and Better". Remember, the players on tour only play newest because 1. Its part of their contractual agreement and 2. because they churn through gear much much quicker. Most guys without a deal are playing clubs for years (Fleetwood, Casey, Kuch, Sneds, Tiger has). More importantly the Champions Tour guys are switching even less frequently and they are arguably the ones that should benefit most from newest and best.

If you want new because you like the way new looks then keep doing it. but i think your issue is probably that you dont hold onto anything long enough to get comfortable with it. for most Ams it takes at least a year or 2 to even break in new clubs and get very familiar with them.

I solve my issues by not really getting rid of anything (which is a separate issue). I treat Equipment like a car collection - I have a few classics from different eras I've bought over the years which I'll throw in the bag every once in a blue moon. I have what I refer to as my daily drivers which are my clubs I play most of the year, fit to my game, used for practice and most play. Then I have my super car - high end, tech forward, set that I use when I need a little help and confidence, which was bought for all the cool looks and hopeful function. This one often comes with the least amount of fulfillment and most regret.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: Ping G400 LST 10 +1 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: Miura CB-1957 w/KBS Tour Stiff 3iron -1 flat, Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/KBS Tour Stiff 4-PW -1 flat[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610, Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev, Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches, w tungsten powder in hosel, SS 3.0 grip[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Titleist Pro-V1X[/font]
  • jackbauerjackbauer Russian prisonAdvanced Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    Yes, I've dealt with this. The straw that broke the camel's back was the set of PXG irons that I got two years ago. I haven't bought any clubs since replacing them (and won the 2018 bag is set challenge).

I like the idea that someone kind of already suggested, which is to have a new bag and a player's bag.

If you want to do something really productive you should update your famous intimidating bag article and maybe expand to include other identifiers of a good golfer (those threads never get old). The driver would have to be the OG M2 and my suggestion would be a pitching wedge of no less than 47 degrees.
    LoL I should update that article! My first one I ever wrote here....that takes me back

Hmmmm, maybe I will. I'm gonna use apex pros as the irons though. I'm gonna convince myself.
  • jplroperjplroper Advanced Members Posts: 429 ✭✭
    Say it aint so Jeff

Re read your post that ended "Want to quit ho'ing? Try and be that guy. Use the stuff we assume good players use. Also grow a beard

Anyway, some advice from MtlJeff"

I just picked up another set of Eye 2's
  • farmerfarmer Advanced Members Posts: 7,714 ✭✭
    This is a polar vortex problem. Your friend is trapped indoors with nothing golf related to do but look at new club ****.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Advanced Members Posts: 24,235 ✭✭
    edited February 8
    The cure for this is a putter. It’s new. And you can use it inside. I go through this if it rains on a Saturday. Any Saturday. Jeff’s been inside for 7 months. He’s losing it ! I couldn’t live in snow country. I’d have one of everything.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
    Ping i500 pre-production proto 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105X
    Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    edited February 8

The cure for this is a putter. It’s new. And you can use it inside. I go through this if it rains on a Saturday. Any Saturday. Jeff’s been inside for 7 months. He’s losing it ! I couldn’t live in snow country. I’d have one of everything.

It's actually better that it's golf clubs. Because this time a year I also spend a lot of time researching hardcore trucks to deal with our snow, ice shelves on roads, deep water when it all melts, potholes etc"

I've spent a lot of time researching off road tires and lift kits for Subaru outbacks. Too much time. My wife is like "I'm not letting you buy that"
  • ckayckay Advanced Members Posts: 3,846 ✭✭
    edited February 8
    If new equipment is what you enjoy, don't deprive yourself of that as long as it doesn't hurt you financially. I need new wedges myself, but I'm the type of person that'll try and squeeze another season out of them while looking for a solid deal.

I have my bouts during the winter with scouring for deals but lately, I have been looking but never buying. I just ask myself if it is worth it, or do I use those dollars in more effective ways.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • 9woodfan9woodfan Advanced Members Posts: 1,430 ✭✭
    Step one - watch YouTube reviews for the clubs you currently have. You'll see and hear how amazing they are and won't want to switch.

Then buy new grips, custom headcovers, and towel... Gives new car smell to the old bag.

If that doesnt work... Swap putters.
    Bag: PING Hoofer Camo
    Driver: PING G30 11* SF Tec

Wood: Empty

Hybrid: Cobra F8 22*

Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-GW
    Wedge: Vokey SM5 54/58/62*

Putter: SGC WB Northwood
    Work done by Dan's Custom Golf
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Advanced Members Posts: 1,793 ✭✭
    jackbauer wrote:

Yes, I've dealt with this. The straw that broke the camel's back was the set of PXG irons that I got two years ago. I haven't bought any clubs since replacing them (and won the 2018 bag is set challenge).

I like the idea that someone kind of already suggested, which is to have a new bag and a player's bag.

If you want to do something really productive you should update your famous intimidating bag article and maybe expand to include other identifiers of a good golfer (those threads never get old). The driver would have to be the OG M2 and my suggestion would be a pitching wedge of no less than 47 degrees.

****. I've I always thought first man out wins MBIS.

MtlJeff wrote:

The cure for this is a putter. It's new. And you can use it inside. I go through this if it rains on a Saturday. Any Saturday. Jeff's been inside for 7 months. He's losing it ! I couldn't live in snow country. I'd have one of everything.

It's actually better that it's golf clubs. Because this time a year I also spend a lot of time researching hardcore trucks to deal with our snow, ice shelves on roads, deep water when it all melts, potholes etc"

I've spent a lot of time researching off road tires and lift kits for Subaru outbacks. Too much time. My wife is like "I'm not letting you buy that"

Winter is all about putter round robins for me.
  • donaldp83donaldp83 Advanced Members Posts: 359 ✭✭
    I think the best idea would be to start a big winter trading network around here! I have thought this for some time.

In the last month I have bought a two Wishon 949MC fairway wood heads, a set of KZG Forged irons, a 905S 8.5 driver and 905S 9.5 head and I am not done. Don't get me started on all the club work and swapping shafts I did during that Polar Vortex...

I buy a lot every winter but my bag always remains the same.
    Titleist 983K 9.5*
    V-Steel 15*
    Cleveland Halo 22*
    Adams MB2 4-P
    Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP 54* & Ping Eye 2 BeCu 60*
    Kevin Burns 9314
  • ex0dusex0dus Advanced Members Posts: 466
    edited February 10
    When new clubs come out i let everyone else try them out and read their reviews. That way i can narrow the field of potential clubs i want to try.

If i find something that works well i stick with it, so in the end i guess i have a "players bag".
    Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13*
    Mizuno MP630 clk hybrid 20*
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-pw
    Ping Gorge wedges 56*, 52*
    Cally Mack Daddy PM grind 60*
    Machine adjuster putter
    Bridgestone 330 ball
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Meet Séamus, Squirrel Control Officer Advanced Members Posts: 6,103 ✭✭
    9woodfan wrote:

.... If that doesnt work... Swap putters.

Virtually every winter, regardless of how I feel about my putting at the end of the previous season, I spend a fair amount of time putting on the family room carpet with almost every putter I own, and contemplate putting each and every one of them in the bag as #1.

Idle hands....
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
    I think i'm past this for now. I just can't find anything i'm super into in terms of new irons....and i had a couple of really good range sessions with the Pros.

Plus i fluctuate from "maybe i should buy blades" to "**** it, maybe i should buy Ping G410's"

So , my thinking is something in the middle is probably best
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 14,336 ClubWRX
    MtlJeff wrote:

I just want new irons that's the problem. First it was rogue pros, now it's forged tecs from Cobra with Nippon 130s

I don't even know why. I just want new stuff

I understand that!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • leo the lionleo the lion Advanced Members Posts: 938 ✭✭
    edited February 12
    Jeff................That's a nice set up there. Don't mess with it..........but what about a nice new fancy Callaway bag? Love those Chev Bags....especially the red, white and blue one.
    Driver, Fairway and Hybrid  G400 LST 8.5 Tour Stiff 65, G30 3 Wood Tour Stiff 80 and G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 
    Hybrid  Tour Edge Exotics CBPro U Limited Edition 17* #2 Kuro Kage Stiff 90HY
    Irons  G irons 4-UW AWT 2.0 Stiff white dot +1/2" plus Odyssey Duel Force 56 degree 
    Bag  Hoofer 14 2016
    Putter 7i2gBOQ.png Queen Bee #8 
    Balls Titleist ProV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X 
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Advanced Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

I think i'm past this for now. I just can't find anything i'm super into in terms of new irons....and i had a couple of really good range sessions with the Pros.

Plus i fluctuate from "maybe i should buy blades" to "**** it, maybe i should buy Ping G410's"

So , my thinking is something in the middle is probably best

Fellow lefty and I had 6 sets in 2018 and probably 80 sets in the past 10yrs.....even tried the vaunted pxg irons....finally got around to a set I've wanted for awhile...iblades! Small but forgiving.....and while z785, apex pro 16/19, ap2, p760 or anything else are screaming at me, I've reached that point where it's NOT the arrow.....good luck!
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,651 ✭✭
    I’m happy I waited to give advice Jeff. You don’t need an opinion from an advice.

The winter blues are real.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon