Getting new stuff vs angling for the classic "players bag"

2»

Comments

• kro88kro88 Members Posts: 130 ✭✭
    You are getting consumed by the marketing of "New and Better". Remember, the players on tour only play newest because 1. Its part of their contractual agreement and 2. because they churn through gear much much quicker. Most guys without a deal are playing clubs for years (Fleetwood, Casey, Kuch, Sneds, Tiger has). More importantly the Champions Tour guys are switching even less frequently and they are arguably the ones that should benefit most from newest and best.

If you want new because you like the way new looks then keep doing it. but i think your issue is probably that you dont hold onto anything long enough to get comfortable with it. for most Ams it takes at least a year or 2 to even break in new clubs and get very familiar with them.

I solve my issues by not really getting rid of anything (which is a separate issue). I treat Equipment like a car collection - I have a few classics from different eras I've bought over the years which I'll throw in the bag every once in a blue moon. I have what I refer to as my daily drivers which are my clubs I play most of the year, fit to my game, used for practice and most play. Then I have my super car - high end, tech forward, set that I use when I need a little help and confidence, which was bought for all the cool looks and hopeful function. This one often comes with the least amount of fulfillment and most regret.
    Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 10 +1 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X
    Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s
    Irons: Miura CB-1957 w/KBS Tour Stiff 3iron -1 flat, Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/KBS Tour Stiff 4-PW -1 flat
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610, Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev, Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev
    Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches, w tungsten powder in hosel, SS 3.0 grip
    Ball: Titleist Pro-V1X
  • jackbauerjackbauer Russian prisonMembers Posts: 298 ✭✭
    Yes, I've dealt with this. The straw that broke the camel's back was the set of PXG irons that I got two years ago. I haven't bought any clubs since replacing them (and won the 2018 bag is set challenge).

I like the idea that someone kind of already suggested, which is to have a new bag and a player's bag.

If you want to do something really productive you should update your famous intimidating bag article and maybe expand to include other identifiers of a good golfer (those threads never get old). The driver would have to be the OG M2 and my suggestion would be a pitching wedge of no less than 47 degrees.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,356 ✭✭
    LoL I should update that article! My first one I ever wrote here....that takes me back

Hmmmm, maybe I will. I'm gonna use apex pros as the irons though. I'm gonna convince myself.
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • jplroperjplroper Members Posts: 436 ✭✭
    Say it aint so Jeff

Re read your post that ended "Want to quit ho'ing? Try and be that guy. Use the stuff we assume good players use. Also grow a beard

Anyway, some advice from MtlJeff"

I just picked up another set of Eye 2's
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,843 ✭✭
    This is a polar vortex problem. Your friend is trapped indoors with nothing golf related to do but look at new club ****.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,784 ✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2019 12:42pm #37
    The cure for this is a putter. It’s new. And you can use it inside. I go through this if it rains on a Saturday. Any Saturday. Jeff’s been inside for 7 months. He’s losing it ! I couldn’t live in snow country. I’d have one of everything.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    edited Feb 8, 2019 4:00pm #38

The cure for this is a putter. It’s new. And you can use it inside. I go through this if it rains on a Saturday. Any Saturday. Jeff’s been inside for 7 months. He’s losing it ! I couldn’t live in snow country. I’d have one of everything.

It's actually better that it's golf clubs. Because this time a year I also spend a lot of time researching hardcore trucks to deal with our snow, ice shelves on roads, deep water when it all melts, potholes etc"

I've spent a lot of time researching off road tires and lift kits for Subaru outbacks. Too much time. My wife is like "I'm not letting you buy that"
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,919 ✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2019 4:06pm #39
    If new equipment is what you enjoy, don't deprive yourself of that as long as it doesn't hurt you financially. I need new wedges myself, but I'm the type of person that'll try and squeeze another season out of them while looking for a solid deal.

I have my bouts during the winter with scouring for deals but lately, I have been looking but never buying. I just ask myself if it is worth it, or do I use those dollars in more effective ways.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • 9woodfan9woodfan Members Posts: 1,437 ✭✭
    Step one - watch YouTube reviews for the clubs you currently have. You'll see and hear how amazing they are and won't want to switch.

Then buy new grips, custom headcovers, and towel... Gives new car smell to the old bag.

If that doesnt work... Swap putters.
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Members Posts: 1,832 ✭✭
    jackbauer wrote:

Yes, I've dealt with this. The straw that broke the camel's back was the set of PXG irons that I got two years ago. I haven't bought any clubs since replacing them (and won the 2018 bag is set challenge).

I like the idea that someone kind of already suggested, which is to have a new bag and a player's bag.

If you want to do something really productive you should update your famous intimidating bag article and maybe expand to include other identifiers of a good golfer (those threads never get old). The driver would have to be the OG M2 and my suggestion would be a pitching wedge of no less than 47 degrees.

Crap. I've I always thought first man out wins MBIS.

MtlJeff wrote:

The cure for this is a putter. It's new. And you can use it inside. I go through this if it rains on a Saturday. Any Saturday. Jeff's been inside for 7 months. He's losing it ! I couldn't live in snow country. I'd have one of everything.

It's actually better that it's golf clubs. Because this time a year I also spend a lot of time researching hardcore trucks to deal with our snow, ice shelves on roads, deep water when it all melts, potholes etc"

I've spent a lot of time researching off road tires and lift kits for Subaru outbacks. Too much time. My wife is like "I'm not letting you buy that"

Winter is all about putter round robins for me.
  • donaldp83donaldp83 Members Posts: 358 ✭✭
    I think the best idea would be to start a big winter trading network around here! I have thought this for some time.

In the last month I have bought a two Wishon 949MC fairway wood heads, a set of KZG Forged irons, a 905S 8.5 driver and 905S 9.5 head and I am not done. Don't get me started on all the club work and swapping shafts I did during that Polar Vortex...

I buy a lot every winter but my bag always remains the same.
    Titleist 983K 9.5*
    V-Steel 15*
    Cleveland Halo 22*
    Adams MB2 4-P
    Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP 54* & Ping Eye 2 BeCu 60*
    Kevin Burns 9314
  • ex0dusex0dus Members Posts: 500 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2019 7:59pm #43
    When new clubs come out i let everyone else try them out and read their reviews. That way i can narrow the field of potential clubs i want to try.

If i find something that works well i stick with it, so in the end i guess i have a "players bag".
    Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13*
    Mizuno MP630 clk hybrid 20*
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-pw
    Ping Gorge wedges 56*, 52*
    Cally Mack Daddy PM grind 60*
    Machine adjuster putter
    Bridgestone 330 ball
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,269 ✭✭
    9woodfan wrote:

.... If that doesnt work... Swap putters.

Virtually every winter, regardless of how I feel about my putting at the end of the previous season, I spend a fair amount of time putting on the family room carpet with almost every putter I own, and contemplate putting each and every one of them in the bag as #1.

Idle hands....
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
    I think i'm past this for now. I just can't find anything i'm super into in terms of new irons....and i had a couple of really good range sessions with the Pros.

Plus i fluctuate from "maybe i should buy blades" to "screw it, maybe i should buy Ping G410's"

So , my thinking is something in the middle is probably best
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,669 ClubWRX
    MtlJeff wrote:

I just want new irons that's the problem. First it was rogue pros, now it's forged tecs from Cobra with Nippon 130s

I don't even know why. I just want new stuff

I understand that!
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • leo the lionleo the lion Members Posts: 951 ✭✭
    edited Feb 12, 2019 12:03am #47
    Jeff................That's a nice set up there. Don't mess with it..........but what about a nice new fancy Callaway bag? Love those Chev Bags....especially the red, white and blue one.
    Driver, Fairway and Hybrid  LST 8.5 Tour Stiff 65, G30 3 Wood Tour Stiff 80 and G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 
    Hybrid  Tour Edge Exotics CBPro U Limited Edition 17* #2 Kuro Kage Stiff 90HY
    Irons  G irons 4-UW AWT 2.0 Stiff white dot +1/2" plus Odyssey Duel Force 56 degree 
    Bag  Hoofer 14 2016
    Putter  Queen Bee #8 
    Balls Titleist ProV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X 
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 7,040 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

I think i'm past this for now. I just can't find anything i'm super into in terms of new irons....and i had a couple of really good range sessions with the Pros.

Plus i fluctuate from "maybe i should buy blades" to "screw it, maybe i should buy Ping G410's"

So , my thinking is something in the middle is probably best

Fellow lefty and I had 6 sets in 2018 and probably 80 sets in the past 10yrs.....even tried the vaunted pxg irons....finally got around to a set I've wanted for awhile...iblades! Small but forgiving.....and while z785, apex pro 16/19, ap2, p760 or anything else are screaming at me, I've reached that point where it's NOT the arrow.....good luck!
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,657 ✭✭
    I’m happy I waited to give advice Jeff. You don’t need an opinion from an advice.

The winter blues are real.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon