ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Do you pick a ball based on putting or driving?

jjfcpajjfcpa Advanced Members Posts: 300
I currently don't have trouble with my drives so I tend to pick a golf ball based on the way it feels when chipping and putting. I guess a few extra yards on my drives can't add strokes like hitting a ball 10 feet past the cup.

To this end, I've found that the Bridgestone Tour B RX and Snell MTB Black are my current selections. I also like the reduced spin off the driver that the RX provides.

What's your choice and why?

Comments

• davep043davep043 Advanced Members Posts: 2,948 ✭✭
    I've based it on chipping and pitching first. I'm playing the MTB Black, so price certainly has an influence too.
  • CwebbCwebb Advanced Members Posts: 5,847 ✭✭
    Both. There's so many options today, that the best of all aspects is well within grasp
  • nsxguynsxguy FloridaAdvanced Members Posts: 4,830 ✭✭
    As with only a few exceptions over the years (Callaway Hex Tour and the 20xi leap to mind) most balls either "putt" the same or there is so little difference the adjustment, if any, is easy to make.

Chipping is a different story.

Mind you I would NOT be willing to lose a full club of distance with any full shot but that seldom happens either unless the (other) ball is SO long off the driver it wouldn't stop on the greens if they were top dressed with glue - so for me it's basically chipping that's most important.
    Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
    Titleist AVX
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Advanced Members Posts: 300
    Wow, I'm really surprised that no one thinks that putting affects their decision that much and 40-50% of your shots will be on the green.
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 1,453 ClubWRX
    I play Titleist AVX. My decision was based on the desire for less spin and better flight characteristics in the wind for approach shots with irons and wedges. As long as I did not lose driver distance and retained enough spin to stop adequately on firm greens then it was going to be a good choice for me. Bonus was a little extra distance and a nice soft feel.
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM5 58/07 w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Advanced Members Posts: 3,847
    I base it on iron play since I only hit the ball 30x max with the driver and putter during any given round.....I hit my irons at least 35x.
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Advanced Members Posts: 11,594 ✭✭
    All around. Always chipping/putting first, then compare your 'finalists' in the long game to see which one comes out on top. Or, choose three and stockpile whenever each one goes on sale. You don't need to be monogamous.
    [font=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif]M4 9.5°, Motore Speeder 757/Ventus 7[/font]
    Mizuno ST-180 17°, Tour Blue
    F9 Speedback 19°, 2KXV Green
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z785, DG
    Mizuno S18 50.07, 54.08 & 58.08[/font]

EVNROLL ER3
    Z-Star/XV/TP5
    Lead Tape

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]WITB[/font]
    jjfcpa wrote:

Wow, I'm really surprised that no one thinks that putting affects their decision that much and 40-50% of your shots will be on the green.

How does the ball impact your putting?

Putts are made when your stroke delivers the ball on the correct line and speed and the green is pure. Line and speed are based on your read of the putt. The choice of ball doesn't help or hurt bumpy greens. The choice of ball doesn't really impact the read. The choice of ball doesn't impact how well you stroked the ball onto the correct line. The only impact ball choice has on the stroke is how hard you hit the ball (softer balls need slightly more swing of the putter) and the intangible "feel" component. The "feel" of the ball is the least important aspect of putting for me.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Advanced Members Posts: 7,030 ✭✭
    jjfcpa wrote:

I do prefer a “softer” feeling and sounding ball for putting and chipping. After saying that, I can say that’s not actually what I play.

The Srixon XV I’ve been playing for two years is so much better in every other way for my game that I have chosen to ignore the fact it is a bit “clicky” and firm off the putter and short chips.

Driving distance, spin control, stability in the wind, cover durability, and cost are all so good that I choose to accept the lack of “perfection” in that one area.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, 60-14(at 61) stealth, All wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • davep043davep043 Advanced Members Posts: 2,948 ✭✭

jjfcpa wrote:

Putts are made when your stroke delivers the ball on the correct line and speed and the green is pure. Line and speed are based on your read of the putt. The choice of ball doesn't help or hurt bumpy greens. The choice of ball doesn't really impact the read. The choice of ball doesn't impact how well you stroked the ball onto the correct line. The only impact ball choice has on the stroke is how hard you hit the ball (softer balls need slightly more swing of the putter) and the intangible "feel" component. The "feel" of the ball is the least important aspect of putting for me.

I agree completely. Beyond this, if I'm taking 30 to 32 putts, close to half of those will be 2 feet or less, I could make those with a mostly-round rock, so we're really only talking about making any kind of difference on about 20% of my strokes. For the longer ones, its a matter of practicing with the ball to understand the feel to get my desired pace, but I can adjust to almost anything.
    davep043 wrote:

jjfcpa wrote:

I agree completely. Beyond this, if I'm taking 30 to 32 putts, close to half of those will be 2 feet or less, I could make those with a mostly-round rock, so we're really only talking about making any kind of difference on about 20% of my strokes. For the longer ones, its a matter of practicing with the ball to understand the feel to get my desired pace, but I can adjust to almost anything.

Yep. That's why putting is 3rd most important aspect of the game to scoring per all the strokes gained stats. When a large percentage of putts could be made using a wedge and ping pong ball it can't be all that important statistically.
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Advanced Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭
    I pick a ball based on the amount of eagles I make. NIKE RZN Tour platinum just isn’t in production anymore so whatever the next ball I make an eagle with is in production will get the $$$.

But, most putting.
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,651 ✭✭
    3/4 piece urethane covered ball at $25 or less. Brand is usually irrelevant.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • cargo8cargo8 Members Posts: 75
    #1 - feel off the face of the putter when bouncing and putting from 3/6/10/20ft

#2 - spin characteristics and consistency from 50/70/100 yards

#3 - spin characteristics from mid-iron

#4 - price

#5 - conditions (i.e. sometimes I switch to a low spin ball like the AVX in heavy wind)

There's really usually not a difference between the modern balls when it comes to driver to be frank, I don't even both comparing.
    WITB
    Titleist TS3 9.5° Mitsubishi Diamana DF 50S
    Tour Edge Exotics CBX 3W Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661S
    Taylor Made GAPR Lo 2-17
    °KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid 65S
    Callaway X Forged Utility Iron 21° Oban CT-100 Steel
    Callaway Apex MB 5-PW Oban CT-100 Steel
    Taylor Made Milled Grind Chrome 50.09 Oban CT-100 Steel
    Taylor Made Milled Grind Black 54.09 Oban CT-100 Steel

Taylor Made Milled Grind Black 58.09 Oban CT-100 Steel
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #28

Retired + Bullpen

Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 3 34" 350g
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport
    Taylor Made RAC TP MB 3-PW
    edited February 7

jjfcpa wrote:

Did a little experimenting with the three balls last night. This is on my basement carpet which is very smooth and similar to a moderately slow green. I tested a Chromesoft (2018), Snell MTB Black, and Bridgestone Tour B RX. After 50-60 putts from 12 feet with each, rotating the ball selected to start with every 3 putts, I came to the following conclusion. Oh, and I used a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter for all.

Speed Line Feel

Chromesoft Slowest Drifted Muted and soft

Snell MTB Good Good Firm

RX Good Good Softest

In terms of putts made, the RX hit the cup about 20% more than the other two balls, but that may be because I've been using it for the last year. I could probably adapt to any of these balls, but since I've played them all in the past (that's why I had them on hand), the RX just ends up closest to the cup, or in the cup, more often than the other two. I completely disagree that it's all about speed. There are some balls that just seem to hold the line better than others when struck to just reach the cup or 6-12 inches beyond. At least, that's my observations.
  • Krt22Krt22 Advanced Members Posts: 6,031 ✭✭
    jjfcpa wrote:

Because putting is purely just feel. The only thing I steer away from are the marshmallow soft balls since it makes distance control harder. I play a firmer ball with a face insert putter

davep043 wrote:

jjfcpa wrote:

Yep. That's why putting is 3rd most important aspect of the game to scoring per all the strokes gained stats. When a large percentage of putts could be made using a wedge and ping pong ball it can't be all that important statistically.

You may be a much better golfer than me, but when I end up 10-15 feet from the cup, I want a ball that will hold the line that I putt it on. I also want consistency in distance when struck with the same force. I've found some balls just don't meet that criteria. I normally average between 30-36 putts per 18 holes and I have found that using the wrong ball can very much affect that average.

That's not to say that chipping and pitching are any less important, but when I get on the green I want to know precisely how the ball will react to my putter.

During the winter months, the only thing I can spend my time on is putting so I have become very sensitive to this part of the game. I think it is a very overlooked part of the game. In my own case, I've found that some of the skills in putting carry over to pitching and chipping which has helped me a great deal.
  • Rory4PresRory4Pres Advanced Members Posts: 904 ✭✭
    short game for sure. I'm not sure distance balls are much longer than the premium golf balls anyways. I'd think a TP5x would be similar in distance to a Nike Mojo. If not, a few yards off tops. Hardly the impact of making 2 more putts a round or 2 less 3 putts.
  • spartan6910spartan6910 Go Green, Go White! San DiegoAdvanced Members Posts: 365 ✭✭
    If there was one aspect I'd say I use above all others to choose a ball, it would be iron/wedge spin. Think shots into the green. I'm a very high spin player so I need something that won't suck back off the green. Putting is probably last on my list. I can putt with a firm, clicky ball just as well as I can a soft, muted ball.
    TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
    Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
    TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
    Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
    Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 51*

Callaway Mack Daddy 3 58*
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64* (only sometimes)
    Bettinardi Queen B #8
    TaylorMade TP5

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego
  • lil'mikelil'mike Advanced Members Posts: 1,259
    Interesting comments. For me I would say more so off iron/wedge feel then driver or putter. I can putt with fine with any ball, just take a few practice shots first! For me with the iron/wedges, I can tell if I like a ball or not. I don't like them too hard or too soft feeling.

That said I had a driver fitting last year and based on me having a high spin rate I was told sold to a different driver and told to try the AVX or similar lower spinning ball. I was hitting the Chrome Soft's and quite those and the AVX is very good but expensive, I also like the 330 RX ball and the Srixon XV ball.

@Stanks - I just got back into golf again from about 8-9 years off at the end of 2017 and made my first eagle with the yellow Srixon XV ball which was one of the first balls I bought when I got back into it. The other was the 330 RX.
  • grochol17grochol17 Advanced Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    jjfcpa wrote:

davep043 wrote:

jjfcpa wrote:

You may be a much better golfer than me, but when I end up 10-15 feet from the cup, I want a ball that will hold the line that I putt it on. I also want consistency in distance when struck with the same force. I've found some balls just don't meet that criteria. I normally average between 30-36 putts per 18 holes and I have found that using the wrong ball can very much affect that average.

That's not to say that chipping and pitching are any less important, but when I get on the green I want to know precisely how the ball will react to my putter.

During the winter months, the only thing I can spend my time on is putting so I have become very sensitive to this part of the game. I think it is a very overlooked part of the game. In my own case, I've found that some of the skills in putting carry over to pitching and chipping which has helped me a great deal.

Sorry, but I think you're confusing your own inconsistencies with that of the ball... you're basically saying that the ball has hot spots such that it "jumps" off of the face some times, but not others, resulting in significant differences in distance. There's zero chance that any of the major manufacturers are selling golf balls like that because if it is happening with the putter, which basically doesn't compress the ball at all, can you imagine what it would be doing with other clubs? That would be a nightmare for any company to produce a ball that travels random distances.

Any distance control issues you're having with a ball are because you're not nearly as consistently swinging with the same force as you think you are, you're making different contact (variations on the loft or point of contact) from one putt to the next, the imperfections in the surface you're putting on are affecting putts in a way that is not obvious except for the distance traveled, or some combination of those things.

And easy way to test this is to find a solid, flat surface such as a concrete floor or a relatively thick piece of metal sitting on the ground. Basically you're looking for something that you know won't flex, so other surfaces, like tile or wood floors, which can have voids underneath them, won't necessarily work for this. Then, grab a meter stick so you can make sure you're dropping golf balls from the same height and then go to town dropping balls. This way you know you're applying the same force to the ball each time, and you'll be able to see that the ball will bounce up to the same height each time, regardless of which part of the ball strikes the ground.
    Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 915 F, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
    Mizuno MP H5, 1&3 iron, C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
    Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
    Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
    Srixon Z Star / Z Star XV 5
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Advanced Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭
    It’s simple. You used the ball you’ve probably had a milestone or best round with...hence why I used the Nike RZN tour platinum and blacks forever and ever.

I haven’t made an eagle with a TP5, Snell red, chromesoft etc. so I take what I am best at which is chipping and putting and go from there. Driver distances should vary only slightly between balls. But, they do vary. I still say the longest ball I ever hit was a Wilson 5000 I think was the name of it. It literally felt like I was hitting a marble and it just flew but forget about it with chipping and spin shots and putters.

You really can’t go wrong with amount of great products available now for balls.
  • agolf1agolf1 Advanced Members Posts: 511 ✭✭
    Biggest factor for me is with the driver. I am not a super accurate driver, so I have always favored a ball that spun the least off the tee (there may be advances here over time that now allow the high performing balls to spin less off the driver). I've also noticed that some of the softer compression balls tend to have a flatter flight than others, and I prefer these.

Like others, I don't really care about the differences in balls and putting. I can adjust easily to the feel and the read/stroke is what matters.

For irons/wedges, I don't play on Augusta like greens often, so I can adjust to playing a non-premium (high spin) ball here. I think as long as you aren't switching balls every round and know how it is going to react you can play most shots (of course there are exceptions every now and then where the ProV would be preferred).
    Titleist 910 D2 11.25*, Diamana Ilima R-Flex (tipped 1')
    Callaway X Hot Pro 19* Fairway, Project X Velocity 6.0
    TaylorMade Raylor 22*, Raylor RE*AX S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Advanced Members Posts: 7,687 ✭✭
    Irons and wedges for me. A ball has to have the spin/feel/performance approaching greens. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • ItsjustagameItsjustagame Advanced Members Posts: 1,257 ✭✭
    edited February 8
    I can putt like **** with any ball, so feel off the driver/irons for me.
    GBB Epic 10.5 Project X HZRDUS T800 55
    GBB Epic 5 wood
    XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
    Steelhead XR Pro 6-GW [font=effra, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UST Mamiya Recoil 95/110[/font]
    Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
    Taylor Made 2 Ball Fang Slant
  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Advanced Members Posts: 211 ✭✭
    100% the driver, though whether this particular decision has any basis in actual on-course results might be debatable at best
  • SimpSimp Advanced Members Posts: 2,903
    I've never stuck with a ball that I hated off the tee but loved on or near the green. Driver and iron play are first in the decision making process. Always. I'll make it work with putting and chipping.
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    Mizuno MP18 SC's Fli-Hi 4&5
    Cleveland RTX3 50,54 & 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
  • Bharding08Bharding08 Members Posts: 55
    I choose mine how it reacts around the greens. I like to see alot of greenside spin and soft feel. Those are the two things that I look at when choosing balls.
  • BicknellCCBicknellCC Advanced Members Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    jjfcpa wrote:

Like others have stated, I don't notice much difference in balls when I putt, or off the tee. I choose based on a ball checking and stopping if I hit a green from the fairway, and the same for when I miss the green. (which I do quite often) Getting close to the hole improves my putting immensely.

I also like the B330 RX. I shot my lowest rounds with it last year, so who knows? Maybe I putt better with it as well?
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Advanced Members Posts: 928
    Driving. My putting is the best part of my game, and I feel confident I can lag close, make the short ones, and drop some improbable ones with any ball once I'm used to it.

Driver not so much. Not a long hitter. And it's weird to me, maybe not to others, but not every distance ball is great for me and not every high compression tour ball is bad.

Some balls really have a better flight for me than others, and they're not necessarily the ones that would roll off the back of the green on a well struck iron.

I'm sure it's some complicated calculus of SS, AoA, tee height, path, whatever - but I need a ball off the driver that goes high and far with the right amount of spin for the lift my SS needs.

And again, not every 2 piece distance ball is the same.

Whereas once I'm putting, I like them all.

Playing to my weakness might be a mistake to some people, but I'm not leaving strokes on the table on the green. I'm leaving them out there bc of driver distance and my overall subpar iron play.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @11*
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 2,980 ClubWRX
    I was surprised to hear people pick a ball based on putting. I have never considered putting when choosing a ball- it’s always performance with driver and irons for me. Like others have said, I would be OK using any ball on the green as long as it was round and not dinged up. I’ve made some awesome putts using my daughters Spongebob balls years ago.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s<br />Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood<br />Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid<br />Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95<br />Ping Glide 60* LW<br />Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or) Scotty Cameron Fastback<br />Gamegolf<br /><br />https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • Ripper859Ripper859 Northern Kentucky / CincinnatiAdvanced Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Wedges and irons for me.
  • MattP66MattP66 Members Posts: 27 ✭✭
    basically working from the green side (chipping) back through wedges (most important) and irons too the driver then finally and least importantly putting
    Taylormade M2 2017 8.5* Tensei CK Pro Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15* Fujikura Pro 73 Stiff
    Taylormade M4 Tour 18* Fujikura Pro 73 Stiff
    Taylormade P-790 UDi Project X Hzrdus Black 6.0
    PING iBlade 4-PW XP95 S300
    Nike Engage 52*, 56* SQ & 60* DS, DG S300
    Odyssey O-Works Black 3T

Alternate 5 Wood and 2 Iron depending on conditions

Bag Nike Vrs 3M staff bag/Ping 4 Series 2017

Ball Taylormade TP5

Apparel: Nike Performance
    Shoes : Nike Lunar Control 3 (White/Crimson), Nike Lunar Control Vapor II (White/Black),Nike Lunar Command 2 (Grey/University Red/White), Nike Roshe G (Red/White)
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Advanced Members Posts: 1,581 ✭✭
    Putting is usually the last thing I consider with ball selection. If it’s overly clicky it’s a no go, but otherwise I don’t care.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: He who shall not be named...[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 Wood: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 816H1 21 Degree w/Accra 182H M3[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Callaway ChromeSoft 2018 (Yellow)[/font]
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Advanced Members Posts: 990 ✭✭
    Both. If it only works in one area and not another there’s no reason too use it imo
  • sevenfouratesevenfourate Advanced Members Posts: 1,869 ✭✭
    I’ve been guilty of chasing yardage in the last. And using ‘X’ versions.....

This year I’m heavily weighting my ball choice on short game performance.
    Regards - 'Shuv'

PING G20 - 9.5 degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    BRIDGESTONE J33 R - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
    ODYSSEY White Hot Professional No7 - 343g / 34.75
    TAYLORMADE TP5 Golf Ball [font=arial, sans-serif][/font]NEW 2019 Version[font=arial, sans-serif][/font]

SHUV'S WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...l-and-now-2016/
  • GSDriverGSDriver Advanced Members Posts: 551 ✭✭
    I start chipping and work back. I've never blamed a ball for bad putting.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • PuttCurseRepeatPuttCurseRepeat It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it! Advanced Members Posts: 817 ✭✭
    #1 performance consideration is the greenside performance out to 80 yards from the green. If I like the feel and behavior of the ball on those shots, there is a 99% certainty that the ball will be acceptable on the green. Driver vs putter exclusively, I will lean towards driver performance. Not so much for distance, but more so for trajectory, as I like a lower flying ball.
  • jmkenn0jmkenn0 Advanced Members Posts: 660 ✭✭
    #1 for me is flight characteristics, #2 is low spin. So AVX for me. I've never really felt a distinct difference in ball feel with my tyne. With a more blade style putter yes.
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Advanced Members Posts: 1,467 ✭✭
    As a 67 year old 16 HCP I need to be in the fairway and get as much carry and roll possible without hurting my hands. I am a decent putter and putt best with the ball I have been using lately but putting is behind driving, chipping and pitching, and approach shots in my ball selection.
  • J9293J9293 Advanced Members Posts: 302 ✭✭
    Putting is the last thing when it comes to choosing a ball for me. I can knockdown a 6 foot putt with a top flight range ball or a premium urethane ball. If I putt with the same speed and same line any ball will pretty much end up in the same spot.

Performance of the irons/wedges and tee is the most important to me.
    Driver: [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Ping G400 Max - HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 6.0[/font]
    3 Wood:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Ping G400 - Alta CB[/font]
    Hybrid:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Ping G400 - Alta CB[/font]
    Irons: [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Bridgestone J40 DPC - LZ 6.0[/font]
    Wedges:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Callaway X-Forged - S300[/font]
    Putter:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Scotty Cameron Red X5[/font]
    Ball:[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Titleist Pro V1x[/font]
  • PeteNCPeteNC Advanced Members Posts: 80
    jjfcpa wrote:

Couldn't you just get a softer putter insert, esp if you're playing the difference between a prov and provx, or another similar brand?

I play the Srixon XV. I have a higher swing speed so it helps driving it further with a little less spin. I play in NC and my home course has bent greens. I don't necc need a softer ball for the short game as greens are typically not fast and are soft in the summer. Not to mention short game shots out of Bermuda rough are not going to have much different spin. I'd probably still play this ball if it was firmer out. 5-10 extra yards and one less club into the green is worth every penny!
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Advanced Members Posts: 1,148 ✭✭
    I don't find that the type of golf ball (assuming premium) affects my ability to chip or putt whatsoever. I prefer to putt with a softer feeling ball, but that's just feel/preference.

For driver the type of ball I play absolutely affects performance, so my choice is based on that plus mid irons, which I don't like to balloon.
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Advanced Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭
    edited February 20
    Try to buy 4-5 layer brands on sale or discontinued. Tend to be better on short iron shots.

He has no loyalty whatsoever.
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    Mizuno MP-15 5-PW
    Epon KGX 52* 56*
    Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport Longneck
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Advanced Members Posts: 3,891 ✭✭
    I play best with a cheaper ball. Or at least, my game doesn't really care. Bought a bunch of Strata for $6 a dozen and they work fine. Those high spin balls are not for me. I'm inconsistent with my chipping and don't want a ball that checks up when I'm not expecting it. Just as long as the ball isn't too soft off the putter, it's ok for me. Don't like those balls that sound you're putting with a marshmallow. Give me a nice solid "click" and I'm happy.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Advanced Members Posts: 1,077 ✭✭
    1. Must be urethane

1b. Price

I'm not good enough to base of off one shot or another
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon Advanced Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    I was taught, fit the ball to your irons, and then fit your driver to that ball...
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]14 - Mini Dr - Bertha Mini 1.5 - Motore 70 R @42.5" - D2.5
    19 - Fairway - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 70 R @ 40.5" - D2
    22 - Hybrid - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 80 R 39" D1.5
    25 - Hybrid - Adams Idea (14) - Ozik X-con 8h R 38.25" - D2
    28 - hybrid iron - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D2.5
    32 & 36 - hybrid iron - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D3
    40 & 45- cavity back - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D3.5
    50 - wedge - Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB - 6 bounce - D4
    55 - wedge - Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB - 11 bounce- D4
    60 - wedge - Ping Tour-W - 8 bounce - D5
    56 - wedge - Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0 - 8 bounce - D4
    Odyssey 2 Ball fang - e6 soft - Sun Mountain Combo Cart / Bag

On the naughty step - Driver - Callaway GBB (animal style) - Speeder 665 R @ 43.5" - D3

90mph SS - longest drive 2018 (measured with GameGolf) - 264 yards
    [/font]

I was taught, fit the ball to your irons, and then fit your driver to that ball...

What ball are you using?
  • gvogelgvogel Advanced Members Posts: 6,989 ✭✭
    Driving. I have always been a bit distance challenged, so driving is very important. If I am driving well, I am having fun, and scoring takes care of itself.

Played AVX last year, probably play it again this year.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon Advanced Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    jjfcpa wrote:

What ball are you using?

I struggled with a slice last season so had to use a lower spinning ball. If money was no object and I would have played the Chrome Soft X as I hit the ball quite high, but I settled on the e6 as there was a deal on where I got 12 for £10. I’m currently trying the Callaway Magna to help off the fairway and out of the rough. Might hit a little high but i’ll Accept that if its easier to hit off the deck more consistently. I’ll adjust my wood and hybrid shafts and head weights to get the most out of it if I end up keeping them for the season
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]14 - Mini Dr - Bertha Mini 1.5 - Motore 70 R @42.5" - D2.5
    19 - Fairway - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 70 R @ 40.5" - D2
    22 - Hybrid - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 80 R 39" D1.5
    25 - Hybrid - Adams Idea (14) - Ozik X-con 8h R 38.25" - D2
    28 - hybrid iron - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D2.5
    32 & 36 - hybrid iron - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D3
    40 & 45- cavity back - Adams Idea (14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D3.5
    50 - wedge - Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB - 6 bounce - D4
    55 - wedge - Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB - 11 bounce- D4
    60 - wedge - Ping Tour-W - 8 bounce - D5
    56 - wedge - Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0 - 8 bounce - D4
    Odyssey 2 Ball fang - e6 soft - Sun Mountain Combo Cart / Bag

On the naughty step - Driver - Callaway GBB (animal style) - Speeder 665 R @ 43.5" - D3

90mph SS - longest drive 2018 (measured with GameGolf) - 264 yards
    [/font]