Shot Shaping on Tour

2»

Comments

• mds5062mds5062 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭

Before you had to. Today you don't. Easy enough to get. The ball will go pretty straight. It used to not go straight.

In general this

Bomb and gouge is the new way, look at Web.com avg driving distance vs PGA and also the new players coming out. All hit 310+ and figure it out after that
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,710 ✭✭
    mds5062 wrote:

Before you had to. Today you don't. Easy enough to get. The ball will go pretty straight. It used to not go straight.

In general this

Bomb and gouge is the new way, look at Web.com avg driving distance vs PGA and also the new players coming out. All hit 310+ and figure it out after that

Web distances are inaccurate to say the least. There’s a reason every player gets shorter on the PGA Tour
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,315 ✭✭

Maybe it's the tech...maybe it's the ball.....maybe the players. But we've all watched 1M times the classic TW videos with the stingers and every other knock down the old guys use to do. What is the idea behind no longer shaping shots (unless in the Jungle)?

Not considering a little fade here...a little draw there. ****, even now you will still see TW hit is PW 115 while everyone else full out swings the Lob.

I will watch on repeat when someone does do something like that as it is a rarity these days.

Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves....

Phil was hitting a lot of shaped shots, and not with full swings, yesterday in winning the AT&T.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • gvogel wrote:

Maybe it's the tech...maybe it's the ball.....maybe the players. But we've all watched 1M times the classic TW videos with the stingers and every other knock down the old guys use to do. What is the idea behind no longer shaping shots (unless in the Jungle)?

Not considering a little fade here...a little draw there. ****, even now you will still see TW hit is PW 115 while everyone else full out swings the Lob.

I will watch on repeat when someone does do something like that as it is a rarity these days.

Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves....

Phil was hitting a lot of shaped shots, and not with full swings, yesterday in winning the AT&T.
  • He was and it was awesome to watch. Knockdown wedges and nine irons. Taking the spin off.
  • fowlerscousinfowlerscousin Members Posts: 793 ✭✭
    The longer courses get, the more emphasis there is on straight and long ball flights
  • Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,821 ✭✭
    You talk about Trevino, Hogan, Corey Pavin........all great shotmakers...........none of the greats hold a candle to Bubba Watson. The man is an absolute genius at working the ball. Many great players have hit great shots........Bubba does it every round.
  • 3whacker3whacker Members Posts: 409 ✭✭
    its not about shaping a shot left or right, its all about controlling the trajectory which in turn controls distance
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,826 ✭✭

This was a symphony of shot shapes at the Tour Championship

-Chris

Yes. So much yes. He was just striping his driver that week.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,747 ✭✭
    that's cool
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,331 ✭✭

bigred90gt wrote:
    bandrz wrote:

the modern ball does not curve

I must be playing some old junk then, because mine curve plenty

Okay, I’ll be the dick and add the important part:

“With a competent and consistent swing.”

Being a single digit index (been as low as a 3, hovering around 7 now), I'd say I have a fairly competent and consistent swing. No need to be a dick (your own words). It's not hard to curve the modern ball, whether intentionally or unintentionally. I recognize it is most likely more difficult than it was with older wound and balata balls, but I didnt play golf when those were around, so I dont personally have any basis for comparison.