Orlando Fl Courses

VanSwagger83VanSwagger83 Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
Going to Orlando for a week at the end of March trying to figure out which courses to play. We're planning about 3 rounds of golf and we're staying pretty close to Sea World from what Google Maps shows. Any advice on what courses to play or avoid? I've been searching online, but don't know anything about these courses. We're not looking to spend a fortune, but I'd like to see if I could play at least 1 Championship style of course (Falcon's Fire? Reunion Courses?)

Also correct me if I'm wrong, getting out on Bay Hill requires staying at that specific lodge, and very costly, right?

Edit: how hot should I expect it to be at the end of March? I haven't been to Orlando/Florida in years and last times I was there it was the middle of winter.

Thanks

Comments

• htownchazhtownchaz Members Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I would try and go to southern dunes for sure. Next shingle Creek and grand cypress. Reunion is nice if you can play Watson course. Any of the Disney courses or championsgate.
  • VanSwagger83VanSwagger83 Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    htownchaz wrote:

I would try and go to southern dunes for sure. Next shingle Creek and grand cypress. Reunion is nice if you can play Watson course. Any of the Disney courses or championsgate.

I heard very mixed reviews about Shingle Creek recently from a group that was down there, I wasn't sure what to expect.

What's the difference between the different Reunion Courses, I was looking at the website, and they all seemed nice. Thanks for the input.
  • kro88kro88 Members Posts: 130 ✭✭
    All of the Grand Cypress courses are great. Falcon's Fire and Orange County National are solid. havent played Celebration in years but that one was fun too.

High end resort courses - Ritz course is a great fun course. I'd stay away from the Waldorf course. Norman design that is way too difficult.
    Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 10 +1 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X
    Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s
    Irons: Miura CB-1957 w/KBS Tour Stiff 3iron -1 flat, Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/KBS Tour Stiff 4-PW -1 flat
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610, Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev, Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev
    Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches, w tungsten powder in hosel, SS 3.0 grip
    Ball: Titleist Pro-V1X
  • CHuntsmanCHuntsman Members Posts: 797 ✭✭
    edited Feb 8, 2019 11:16am #5

htownchaz wrote:

I heard very mixed reviews about Shingle Creek recently from a group that was down there, I wasn't sure what to expect.

What's the difference between the different Reunion Courses, I was looking at the website, and they all seemed nice. Thanks for the input.

I played all 3 Reunion courses last March during a March Madness basketball/golf trip. All 3 couses were very nice. The Nicklaus course was my favorite. Its a few minutes away from the resort and the clubhouse was an old trailer then but the course was immaculate. The Palmer course was nice as was the Watson. The Watson course has toooooooons of bunkers. I was in a bunker on every hole. Rather it been a greenside/fairway/waste. The clubhouse for Palmer/Watson is connected to the beautiful resort. Make sure to go to the top floor restraunt and grab a drink on the balcony overlooking the city. We bumped into John Scherholtz (old ATL Braves GM) in the elevator on our way up. He was there for Spring Training. He was a very nice gentleman. He even made a point to seek us out and asked how our stay was going. As far as the weather is concerned, it's Florida, it'll be hot and muggy with rain in the afternoon! I would also recommend Grand Cypress. It was in great condition when I played there last September.
  • Togatown22Togatown22 Saratoga Springs, NYMembers Posts: 2,763 ✭✭
    There are multiple threads in the Florida forum on Orlando courses.

For high-end resort "championship style" courses I'd consider Ritz, Waldorf, and Tranquilo (now private but you can get on after 1pm and other certain times if you check).

Very solid, well maintained resort courses: Southern Dunes, Championsgate Country Club, Orange County National, Reunion, Celebration, Grand Cypress.
    Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design AD-IZ 6S
    Rogue 15  fairway stock PX Even Flow Blue S
    Rogue 21 4 hybrid stock Synergy S
    718 AP3 4,5 DG AWT Black S
    718 AP2 6-Gap DG AWT Black S
    SM7 54.10M, 58.04L DG TI Onyx S400
    Futura 5.5W
  • Pooh_BearPooh_Bear Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    CHuntsman wrote:

htownchaz wrote:

I played all 3 Reunion courses last March during a March Madness basketball/golf trip. All 3 couses were very nice. The Nicklaus course was my favorite. Its a few minutes away from the resort and the clubhouse was an old trailer then but the course was immaculate. The Palmer course was nice as was the Watson. The Watson course has toooooooons of bunkers. I was in a bunker on every hole. Rather it been a greenside/fairway/waste. The clubhouse for Palmer/Watson is connected to the beautiful resort. Make sure to go to the top floor restraunt and grab a drink on the balcony overlooking the city. We bumped into John Scherholtz (old ATL Braves GM) in the elevator on our way up. He was there for Spring Training. He was a very nice gentleman. He even made a point to seek us out and asked how our stay was going. As far as the weather is concerned, it's Florida, it'll be hot and muggy with rain in the afternoon! I would also recommend Grand Cypress. It was in great condition when I played there last September.

lol. Come on dude he's going in March. Weather will be perfect. Hot and muggy with afternoon rain is strictly a Summer thing down here. June through Sept basically. He can expect sun every day with temps probably in low 80's with not much humidity. I played Watson Reunion in a tourney last year and was not very impressed. Played Palm and Magnolia in December and they were okay but neither would be worth the price they are charging. LBV is the choice if you are playing in Disney imo. Tranquilo if you can get on is top top. Grand Cypress is where you want to play though. Especially the New Course. Probably pricey and most likely busy but that entire place is pretty great. North South may put you on suicide watch if your game is rusty but that New Course is pretty special.
  • Ghost of SneadGhost of Snead Members Posts: 2,745 ✭✭

Going to Orlando for a week at the end of March trying to figure out which courses to play. We're planning about 3 rounds of golf and we're staying pretty close to Sea World from what Google Maps shows. Any advice on what courses to play or avoid? I've been searching online, but don't know anything about these courses. We're not looking to spend a fortune, but I'd like to see if I could play at least 1 Championship style of course (Falcon's Fire? Reunion Courses?)

Also correct me if I'm wrong, getting out on Bay Hill requires staying at that specific lodge, and very costly, right?

Edit: how hot should I expect it to be at the end of March? I haven't been to Orlando/Florida in years and last times I was there it was the middle of winter.

Thanks

Go out to Orange County National - both 18s are good, but IMO Panther Lake is a little better. PGA and Champion's Tour qualifying have been held there.

It's probably a 30 minute drive from Sea World.
    Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5* - Blue Tensei CK 70X
    Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 77X
    Callaway Apex UT 18° - Project X 6.5
    Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 3-PW - Project X 6.5
    Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
    Vokey V-Grind 58.1
    Taylor Made Spider Mini

https://www.instagram.com/wrongsidegolf
  • Army_golferArmy_golfer ClubWRX Posts: 73 ClubWRX

Thanks
    Orange County National is a must! The practice facilities area amazing. Get there early to take advantage! Good luck.
    Cobra F9 9* - HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
    TM M2 2017 15* - HZRDUS Red 6.0
    Titleist 906f4 18.5* - Aldila Proto By You Stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 19* - Evenflow 85 6.0
    Titleist C16 5-GW - Project X Rifle Flighted 6.0
    Vokey Custom Black 56*, 60*
    Rife 2-Bar CS - Custom Flat Black and Lime (ContinentalGolf.com)
    Pro V1x
  • bobw2961bobw2961 Members Posts: 1
    I am booking rounds for 8 of us in Orlando area in April.

So far I have both courses at Orange County National and I have Celebration booked.

I am considering Southern Dunes but I have never played it.

How does Southern Dunes compare to the courses above and to Waldorf, Hawks Landing, and Falcons Fire.

I have played all of those so I would love to know how Southern Dunes compares to them.

Thanks
  • sabramsabram Members Posts: 1,536 ✭✭
    bobw2961 wrote:

I am booking rounds for 8 of us in Orlando area in April.

So far I have both courses at Orange County National and I have Celebration booked.

I am considering Southern Dunes but I have never played it.

How does Southern Dunes compare to the courses above and to Waldorf, Hawks Landing, and Falcons Fire.

I have played all of those so I would love to know how Southern Dunes compares to them.

Thanks

I prefer Southern Dunes to all of the ones you mentioned excpet perhaps Orange Count National's two courses. Here's a link to photo tours of all the courses you mentioned: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157631972135446/

Southern Dunes: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631966721322/
    Bella Collina in Montverde is worth playing - not sure what they're getting out there for greens fees or if they've gone back to totally private.
    Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
    Vokey V-Grind 58.1
    Taylor Made Spider Mini

• CardsChamps11CardsChamps11 Members Posts: 482 ✭✭
    If you could only play one round in Orlando, what course would that be?
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭

Public or private?
    Long Live Nike

Private - tossup between Bay Hill and Lake Nona

Public - Orange County National (Panther Lake), Grand Cypress New, or Tranquilo

Out of all of them - Lake Nona
    Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
    Vokey V-Grind 58.1
    Taylor Made Spider Mini

Private: Bay Hill or Nona, wouldn't complain about either

Public: Tranquilo / Waldorf / Ritz, in that order.
    Futura 5.5W
  • krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members Posts: 1,042 ✭✭

Togatown22 wrote:

Tranquilo went private I thought. Or had to stay at the hotel onsite like Bay Hill
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Works Red #1W S
    krtgolfing wrote:

Togatown22 wrote:

Tranquilo went private I thought. Or had to stay at the hotel onsite like Bay Hill

I called Tranquilo and it is for members and resort guests only. Same as Bay Hill which is a bummer but that business model works if you have a great course like those two. I'm looking for public courses unless anyone wants to get me on Lake Nona image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

krtgolfing wrote:

Togatown22 wrote:

I called Tranquilo and it is for members and resort guests only. Same as Bay Hill which is a bummer but that business model works if you have a great course like those two. I'm looking for public courses unless anyone wants to get me on Lake Nona image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Both 18s @ Orange County National, Falcons Fire, Shingle Creek, Southern Dunes. Drive a little bit and you can play LPGA International in Daytona, Mission Inn La Campeon in Howey-in-the-Hills, possibly Bella Collina in Montverde. Drive a little further and you can play World Woods in Brooksville.
    Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
    Vokey V-Grind 58.1
    Taylor Made Spider Mini

krtgolfing wrote:

Togatown22 wrote:

Book it through TeeTimesUSA. I'm playing there this Saturday. It's something funny like only 1pm or later on weekends, I don't remember exactly.
    Futura 5.5W
  • Norbe5Norbe5 Members Posts: 438 ✭✭
    Don’t mean to hijack your thread but I’m stuck on a choice between Orange County National, LPGA International, or Victoria Hills for one round.

Anyone have any advice on which to choose?
    Taylormade M2
    Nike Vapor Fly 3 Hybrid
    Cleveland Mashie Plus 4 Hybrid
    TM P790 5-P i95 steelfiber shafts
    Nike Engage 52,56,60 Degree Wedge
    Nike Oven Origin B2-05
    Which public courses in Orlando have hosted a PGA Tour event? It's always fun to play something the pros have played
  • AThompson_3AThompson_3 Members Posts: 1,401 ✭✭
    Currently playing the Disney courses about 3-4 times a week and practicing just about every day. It’s hard to beat that Players Club deal. The Palm and Magnolia are both solid courses. They aren’t breathtaking or anything but it’s solid resort golf. The only complaint I have is the practice areas sucks. Just a putting green and range. Currently the Palm range is grass but you have to get a shuttle over there or walk. Magnolia range is still off the mats which is extremely frustrating. But no short game area at all is severely annoying. You don’t even need that big of an area. It would just be nice to be able to work on bunker shots and wedge game. Just makes zero sense. When they were still hosting PGA tour events did they have a short game area? I can’t imagine the pros would enjoy playing an event without a short game area to warm up at.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana D+ 70X
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 19* Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
    Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 55S, 60M Project X 6.5
    Putter(s): Odyssey O Works 7s Black, Bettinardi BB1F
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5

Currently playing the Disney courses about 3-4 times a week and practicing just about every day. It's hard to beat that Players Club deal. The Palm and Magnolia are both solid courses. They aren't breathtaking or anything but it's solid resort golf. The only complaint I have is the practice areas sucks. Just a putting green and range. Currently the Palm range is grass but you have to get a shuttle over there or walk. Magnolia range is still off the mats which is extremely frustrating. But no short game area at all is severely annoying. You don't even need that big of an area. It would just be nice to be able to work on bunker shots and wedge game. Just makes zero sense. When they were still hosting PGA tour events did they have a short game area? I can't imagine the pros would enjoy playing an event without a short game area to warm up at.

Did Disney ever do PGA events? I know they do AJGA and College Golf events but never PGA?
    Long Live Nike
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,708 ✭✭
    Norbe5 wrote:

Don’t mean to hijack your thread but I’m stuck on a choice between Orange County National, LPGA International, or Victoria Hills for one round.

Anyone have any advice on which to choose?

Victoria Hills is a good layout but generally in rough shape. OCN would be my choice by a landslide over those
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,708 ✭✭

Currently playing the Disney courses about 3-4 times a week and practicing just about every day. It's hard to beat that Players Club deal. The Palm and Magnolia are both solid courses. They aren't breathtaking or anything but it's solid resort golf. The only complaint I have is the practice areas sucks. Just a putting green and range. Currently the Palm range is grass but you have to get a shuttle over there or walk. Magnolia range is still off the mats which is extremely frustrating. But no short game area at all is severely annoying. You don't even need that big of an area. It would just be nice to be able to work on bunker shots and wedge game. Just makes zero sense. When they were still hosting PGA tour events did they have a short game area? I can't imagine the pros would enjoy playing an event without a short game area to warm up at.

Did Disney ever do PGA events? I know they do AJGA and College Golf events but never PGA?

Huh? It was PGA Tour event for 41 years
    edited Feb 28, 2019 2:06pm #27

Which public courses in Orlando have hosted a PGA Tour event? It's always fun to play something the pros have played

Public courses? None currently besides Disney I guess. The only is Bay Hill which is private, but you can play a round if you are a resort guest.

I think Ventura CC in Orlando used to host a PGA event? It's public now, but its also a garbage goat track of a course. We have fraternity golf days out there now.
    Long Live Nike
    iteachgolf wrote:

Huh? It was PGA Tour event for 41 years

Neat...I just googled it. Guess it was last played in 2012.

That pretty much predates my time in golf lol
    Long Live Nike
  • AThompson_3AThompson_3 Members Posts: 1,401 ✭✭

1978-2013 I believe.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana D+ 70X
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 19* Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
    Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 55S, 60M Project X 6.5
    Putter(s): Odyssey O Works 7s Black, Bettinardi BB1F
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5
  • psunate08psunate08 Members Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Just got back from our guys trip to Orlando. We stayed at a house in Reunion. Played the Palmer and Watson. The Palmer is a ton of fun and you can go low there. Courses are in great shape.

We also played Country Club of Orlando. Recently went through renovations and it was well done. Not worth the unaccompanied guest fees though, imo.

Championsgate has 36 holes, the National and the International. Good practice facilities and the courses were challenging. We played both but I preferred the International course.

We also played Southern Dunes. The rough, tee boxes, and bunkers were in great shape. And for $70 we payed, I was really excited. However, they just redid a bunch of the greens. A few were pretty bad and nearly unplayable. It was disappointing because the rest of the course was awesome. It’s honestly a great deal for a good course, but bad or recovering greens make it tough to recommend right now. This time next year it’ll be a must play for a public track.

The last course we played was Country Club of Winter Haven. It’s a bit off the map and was just founded 5 years ago. Everyone that worked there was super friendly and the course was awesome. Great layout with awesome green complexes. Really fun course to play with a group of guys and a nice hidden gem.

Our group has played Orange County National in previous years and everyone loves it there. So you can’t go wrong with that either. Have fun, the weather should be perfect!
  • jjthomp2jjthomp2 Members Posts: 148 ✭✭
    psunate08 wrote:

Just got back from our guys trip to Orlando. We stayed at a house in Reunion. Played the Palmer and Watson. The Palmer is a ton of fun and you can go low there. Courses are in great shape.

We also played Country Club of Orlando. Recently went through renovations and it was well done. Not worth the unaccompanied guest fees though, imo.

Championsgate has 36 holes, the National and the International. Good practice facilities and the courses were challenging. We played both but I preferred the International course.

We also played Southern Dunes. The rough, tee boxes, and bunkers were in great shape. And for $70 we payed, I was really excited. However, they just redid a bunch of the greens. A few were pretty bad and nearly unplayable. It was disappointing because the rest of the course was awesome. It’s honestly a great deal for a good course, but bad or recovering greens make it tough to recommend right now. This time next year it’ll be a must play for a public track.

The last course we played was Country Club of Winter Haven. It’s a bit off the map and was just founded 5 years ago. Everyone that worked there was super friendly and the course was awesome. Great layout with awesome green complexes. Really fun course to play with a group of guys and a nice hidden gem.

Our group has played Orange County National in previous years and everyone loves it there. So you can’t go wrong with that either. Have fun, the weather should be perfect!

if you don't mind me asking what did OCC want for an unaccompanied rate?
    Taylormade M3 440 9.0
    Titleist 906f4 15.5
    Titleist 816 H2 21.0
    Mizuno MP-64 4-P
    Titleist Vokey 50, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Squareback