Whats WRXers opinion on M6 irons?

James ColeJames Cole Members Posts: 61 ✭✭
Looking for some GIs but heard quality is mostly off with Taylor Made... whats the lowdown on these? Are they much improved or should I look elsewhere?

I like soft irons with excellent turf interaction that are very easy to hit.

Thanks!

Comments

• sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Not sure what the whole SpeedBridge thingy is about, but I suspect it's window dressing to provide something new. The M series irons from TM are popular in the GI market and I'm betting reviews from previous models will provide you what you need to know.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    The Perfect Club 21*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    PING Eye 2 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 479 ✭✭
    My opinion is buy them in 2 years for $150. Rocketbladez are probably as good and cost next to nothing. I had Speedblades when I started. I'll probably never buy TM irons again.
    Titleist 915D2 10.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60S
    Titleist 917F2 16.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Titleist 816H1 20* and 24* w/ Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW w/ DG AMT Tour White S300
    Vokey SM7 50F.8, 54S.10, 58D.12 S200
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g
    Pro V1x
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,280 ✭✭
    If I were dead set on buying a set of TaylorMade irons, I’d go with anything Mizuno.
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • RobNY22RobNY22 Members Posts: 405 ✭✭
    If I were looking for a GI iron today I would be looking more at the Mizuno 919 Hot Metal or PING G400/410.
    PING G25 10.5°
    PING G25 4W/16.5°
    PING G25 3H/20°
    PING i200 4 - UW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 54ºSS, 58ºSS
    PING Karsten TR Anser 5 - Starshot Finish / Odyssey Milled RSX #7
  • StormsStorms San DiegoMembers Posts: 69 ✭✭
    I would probably shoot for the m4 or m2 irons. I doubt the speed bridge tech is going to be worth the cash difference. Spend that money on a couple lessons and that'll shave way more strokes off your game
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow
    Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rouge Black
    TaylorMade M1 19* Aldila Rouge Black
    Titleist 585H 21* Titleist 4175
    TaylorMade Psi Tour 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Akira Tour Issue 54*
    Akira Tour Issue 60*
    Yes! Callie
  • James ColeJames Cole Members Posts: 61 ✭✭
    So that bad this irons are huh?
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,016 ✭✭
    James Cole wrote:

None of the replies to your post are from anybody that actually tried them. If you are able to demo them decide for yourself instead of relying on replies from people that have not played the clubs or likely even laid eyes on them. TM makes quality product as do all of the OEM's. And all OEM's have made gear that was not so good.
  • avguyavguy Replacement Player Sonoran Desert, AZMembers Posts: 1,053 ✭✭
    I've ordered the M5 (a more compact, slightly less tech) version for two irons to replace at the 5 & 6 slot in my bag, they are being custom built by TM now for lie and length adjustments I needed going with my TW727M Honma set.

I will be playing them in Modus 105 as it is just a lighter version of my Modus 125 in Honma.

I've played high quality forged irons (Mizunos, Callaway, Honma & Wilson Staff) since 2008 only, but I was not afraid to order some TM non-forged irons based on devouring every You Tube trial review I could find.

I liked the M6 also - but their blade length & offset would not fit well as part of my own blended set. No worries playing a whole set of M6 or M5. I hope you get the M6 set.
    BAG ONE:                                                                                                                     BAG TWO:
    D-Titleist 917 D2  or 910 D2                                                                                           D-Srixon Z355 
    3-TM RBZ ts                                                                                                                   3-TM R11ti
    H-Titleist 915 H1 17, Titleist 816  H1 21, Bridgestone Precept ECU 25                        H-TM 2.0 SF 18 & 21, Cobra AC 25
    I - TM M5 5-PW Modus 105S                                                                                        I - TM P790 5-PW KBS CTLS
    W- Mizuno 52, Vokey SM6 58                                                                                       W- Mizuno 53, & 58
    P-Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                                                         P-Guerin TS Black 370

• greenwavegolfergreenwavegolfer Members Posts: 127 ✭✭
    James Cole wrote:

Looking for some GIs but heard quality is mostly off with Taylor Made... whats the lowdown on these? Are they much improved or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks!

Soft irons with excellent turf interaction that are very easy to hit is basically the Webster definition of the Srixon Z-585s. They're forged so about as soft as you're going to get in the GI-ish range, the V-sole gives them excellent turf interaction and they offer plenty of forgiveness.
    WITB:

Ping G400 LST 10º (Playing 9º) Project X EvenFlow Black 6.0
    Callaway Rogue SZ 3W (15º) Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.0
    Srixon Z-785 3i/4i Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Srixon Z-Forged 5i-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Titleist SM5 50º SM6 54º, 58º Dynamic Gold S200
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
  • StormsStorms San DiegoMembers Posts: 69 ✭✭
    James Cole wrote:

I doubt that they're bad, in fact I'm sure they're fine if not excellent. I just doubt they're going to noticeably better to the point that it's worth it to spend a few extra hundred dollars. That said, if you hit them much better than everything else you try, then they may be worth it for your game so I'd pick them up
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow
    Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rouge Black
    TaylorMade M1 19* Aldila Rouge Black
    Titleist 585H 21* Titleist 4175
    TaylorMade Psi Tour 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Akira Tour Issue 54*
    Akira Tour Issue 60*
    Yes! Callie
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,711 ✭✭
    F9 look and feel better to me.

G410 another better option. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭
    balls_deep wrote:

My opinion is buy them in 2 years for $150. Rocketbladez are probably as good and cost next to nothing. I had Speedblades when I started. I'll probably never buy TM irons again.

I tend to agree. TM clubs in general never really had a high resale value in general (which is the reason why I tend to buy their drivers (most bang for my buck)).
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold shafts in S300
    Taylormade ATV 54 deg & 58 deg wedges with stock KBS shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • buckeyewaltbuckeyewalt Members Posts: 118 ✭✭
    Having hit the M3, M4, and the M6, I chose to go with the M4. One simple reason, just felt better on off-center hits!
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,720 ✭✭
    James Cole wrote:

Yoda is that you? As others have said go hit them and some other GI type irons and see which perform and feel best.
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 783 ✭✭
    James Cole wrote:

Thanks!

I'd wait and get the M7's in March or the M8's in June.
    Clubs are fluid
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    The M series irons are always performers. Can’t go wrong.
  • larryd3larryd3 Members Posts: 575 ✭✭
    I hit them today at a TM demo day. I found them to be really easy to hit and with a nice ball flight. I had the time to hit the 5-Pw and am seriously considering a set of them. Very nice performing clubs.
    TM M4
    Epic 15*
    816 H1 19*
    816 H1 24*
    PXG 0311 5-pw
    50* SM7 F
    54* SM6 M
    58* SM7 S
    PXG Operator H
  • tmax77tmax77 Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭
    Speed bridge huh...remind of Nike irons with power bow technology...imo

I’d prefer Mizuno, srixon, cobra, ping, Titleist...for the people who said m2/m4 they have they face collapse issues

Under construction....
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,808 ✭✭
    They are what they are. I'm sure they function just fine and you'll not have any issues. However, if you're open minded, I would highly suggest trying the Cleveland CBX Launcher irons if you're looking for that type of iron.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,503 ✭✭
    They aren't' magic sticks, but blow your wad of cash on the itchy feeling you have for them....
    WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • breakfree40breakfree40 ClubWRX Posts: 692 ClubWRX
    I haven’t tried them - and won’t... but since you asked for opinions and not reviews: the “speedbridge” is the most ridiculously gimmicky “feature” that a major manufacturer has come up with in a decade. The m5 driver is pretty awesome tho.
    2019:
    G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
    Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
    Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
    3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
    53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
    59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
    Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie
  • gridironesqgridironesq Roseville, CAMembers Posts: 523 ✭✭

James Cole wrote:

Thanks!

Soft irons with excellent turf interaction that are very easy to hit is basically the Webster definition of the Srixon Z-585s. They're forged so about as soft as you're going to get in the GI-ish range, the V-sole gives them excellent turf interaction and they offer plenty of forgiveness.

+1
    Current Gamers
    EPIC FLASH 10.5*, WHITE TIE 55X4 STIFF
    TEE XCG5 3+WD,  EPIC FLASH 5W
    CALLAWAY X HOT 25* & 28* HYBRIDS
    MIZUNO HM PRO 7-PW, 919F GW
    CALLY MD 4 - 56* & 60*
    TOULON PORTLAND H3
    TM PROJECT (a)
  • spring7spring7 Members Posts: 673 ✭✭
    I would look at F9, AP1, Hot Metal, Big Bertha before these

Titleist TS3 10.5* Even-flow 65 Blue
    Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana LTD Blue 70
    Titleist 816H1 20* Diamana Blue 80S+
    Callaway X-Utility 24* GD GS95
    Titleist 718 AP1 5-G KBS Tour 90
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52*
    Callaway PM Grind 60*
    Yes! Tracy 2
    Titleist AVX
  • James ColeJames Cole Members Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Thanks for all your help guys! Ill demo some of these...
  • collingsom1acollingsom1a Chicago, ILMembers Posts: 823 ✭✭
    James Cole wrote:

Thanks!

Look elsewhere. The M6 is a piece of garbage. Poor quality. Poor results.
    Hey man, I'm the dude
  • MacklessdaddyMacklessdaddy Members Posts: 497 ✭✭

James Cole wrote:

Thanks!

You went into too much detail
    Ping G 10.5 Kuro Kage
    Ping G 3W
    Callaway Apex 3 and 4 hybrids
    Taylormade SLDR 5-Gap
    Cleveland CBX 54 58
    Odyssey White Ice DART
  • JustDoIt23JustDoIt23 Members Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited Feb 15, 2019 2:06am #28
    Sort of surprised by the mixed reviews on this set of irons . I tested them today. Hands down the longest irons I’ve ever hit. Probably due to the strong lofts on these bad boys. Whatever it is I was incredibly impressed. I can understand golfers who hit blades that my not like the bulkyness at address, but these irons are no bigger than most GI irons.. I will be ordering a set of these on DDG to save myself some cash. Five star
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,173 ✭✭
    edited Feb 15, 2019 5:11pm #29
    I also hit them at a demo day (indoors, 20 yards to the net) with small Trackman monitor that scrolled through a dozen data points. This is results of hitting demo 7i.

Initial shaft was stock KBS Max 85 (108 grams, Sflex, high launch). Ball came off a little high and carried 127.

Reshaft to SteelFiber fc80 (85 grams, R, mid-launch) brought down flight a tad, distance went up to 142 - five straight shots with a tight draw. fc80 felt a little light.

Head has standard TM GI thru-slot Speed Pocket, with a Speed Bridge (vertical brace) on the back of the club. Impact feel reminded me of the SLDR, and the follow-on RS* family of irons.

M6 flew better overall for me than P790. I'm sure some people will like M6, epsecially with three stock shaft options (SteelFiber not one of them). But, not enough plus to make me switch irons.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 95 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭

James Cole wrote:

Thanks!

Can you explain why??
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 479 ✭✭
    JustDoIt23 wrote:

Sort of surprised by the mixed reviews on this set of irons . I tested them today. Hands down the longest irons I've ever hit. Probably due to the strong lofts on these bad boys. Whatever it is I was incredibly impressed. I can understand golfers who hit blades that my not like the bulkyness at address, but these irons are no bigger than most GI irons.. I will be ordering a set of these on DDG to save myself some cash. Five star

I've hit badly fit irons with no spin before that go stupid long too. That's not the point of golf. So I can hit a 7 iron 190 carry but with 4k spin. Bullet balls are garbage on course. Don't drink the distance koolaid.
    Titleist 915D2 10.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60S
    Titleist 917F2 16.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Titleist 816H1 20* and 24* w/ Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW w/ DG AMT Tour White S300
    Vokey SM7 50F.8, 54S.10, 58D.12 S200
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g
    Pro V1x