Is a soft ball hurting me off the tee.

2»

Comments

• Arlin964Arlin964 Members Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited Mar 5, 2019 2:41pm #32
    arbeck wrote:

glofer wrote:

Feel is "all about personal preference." How a ball reacts to a flushed shot at a certain CHS is not preference. Individual results may certainly vary, and I too have shot great rounds with Top Flites, but high-CHS low-mid-handicap players will benefit from a multi-layer urethane ball.

This is true, but not off the driver. A multi-layer urethane ball isn't going to do much for you off the driver compared to your average two piece ball. It's irons and wedges where the multi-layer urethane covered ball makes the difference.

What about for those of us who need less spin off the driver because we struggle with squared impact on driver?

I can’t definitely prove that one ball slices less for me than another, but I feel there is SOME truth to that - just anecdotally.

EDIT to say it may depend more on something other than whether it is 2, 3, 4, or 5 layers. I just don’t know enough yet. Which is why I’m continually hunting for my perfect equipment, within reason.
    TaylorMade R1 10.5*
    Ping Anser 3w
    Callaway Rogue X - 3h, 4h, 5h
    Nickent 6DX - 6-PW
    Wilson Staff PMP 50*
    Cleveland CBX 56*
    Odyssey #7s O-Works
  • gloferglofer Members Posts: 13 ✭✭
    > This is true, but not off the driver. A multi-layer urethane ball isn't going to do much for you off the driver compared to your average two piece ball. It's irons and wedges where the multi-layer urethane covered ball makes the difference.

Agree. Hence my introductory caveat: "Your questions, and therefore the answers, are focused on the driver. If that's your main focus, I agree with those that say compression matters very little with the driver. But, at high CHS, relative to ball compression, it's not about the driver, it's about wedge and iron spin. You will compress balls of all compression with the driver...."
  • arbeckarbeck SeattlePosts: 344 ✭✭
    Arlin964 wrote:

What about for those of us who need less spin off the driver because we struggle with squared impact on driver?

I can't definitely prove that one ball slices less for me than another, but I feel there is SOME truth to that - just anecdotally.

EDIT to say it may depend more on something other than whether it is 2, 3, 4, or 5 layers. I just don't know enough yet. Which is why I'm continually hunting for my perfect equipment, within reason.

A low spin ball isn't going to help you with a slice. And there is very little difference between spin rates of any modern ball off the driver. If you find that one ball is straighter for you off the driver than another, chances are you hit that one better.
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
2»