Increasing apex of ball flight with irons

2»

Comments

• getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
    Socrates wrote:

getitdaily wrote:

Have you tried simply moving to a higher spin ball? Pro v1x is low spin. Regular pro v1 may Apex higher by spinning more.

You should visit the Titleist site and you will see that you have that backwards.

Haven't played pro v in 5 years. They changed the spin characteristics of that ball. It was the lower spinning ball since inception of the line...
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,876 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2019 5:04pm #33

Cwebb wrote:

What model irons and shafts are you using? It's very possible to change nothing about your swing, and get the apex up with equipment details.

One of the details I look at in detail, is the iron designs Actual Vertical COG. If it's too high for the given player, it makes everything a struggle

Taylormade 770s with C Taper lite stiff shafts.

yes those were 6 iron numbers

was hitting indoors off a fairly fluffy mat

hit some shots with 790s with same c taper lite stiff and spin went up and apex a little higher, I guess that's the easy answer, change irons

Yes, if you're settled with everything else and you're hitting it solid, then finding out if an equipment change can work is often the best route.

Depending on what your yardage gaps are, I would also stay away from "spring face" irons and excessively strong lofts.

If you want to try the best "players cavity" for raising flight and spin that I know of, you should to dry a Maltby DBM or TE. Ultra low COG, micro-groove spacing, and really easy to hit solid in general
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,141 ✭✭
    getitdaily wrote:

Socrates wrote:

getitdaily wrote:

Have you tried simply moving to a higher spin ball? Pro v1x is low spin. Regular pro v1 may Apex higher by spinning more.

You should visit the Titleist site and you will see that you have that backwards.

Haven't played pro v in 5 years. They changed the spin characteristics of that ball. It was the lower spinning ball since inception of the line...

They changed characteristics but 1x has always been the higher spin.
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:

getitdaily wrote:

Socrates wrote:

getitdaily wrote:

They changed characteristics but 1x has always been the higher spin.

I played the 1x for years. When those balls first came out, the v1 was well short of the 1x with all clubs. The v1 was higher spin around the greens.

The bx and bxs from Bridgestone are backwards too. I spin the b xs less than the bx. B xs goes farther off the irons I think because ballspeed is slightly higher.
  • Ray JacksonRay Jackson Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭
    Socrates wrote:

getitdaily wrote:

Yes I believe (at least for the pre 2017/2018) the V1x launched higher and spun more than the V1, at least supposed to be with the irons.

Kinda confused with what happened with the '17/18 version as I think they made them closer in spin and again with the '19

But that's irrelevant for me as I have a large stock of the '15/16
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members Posts: 570 ✭✭
    Equipment can make a big difference. All my irons apex about 25 feet higher since switching to i500 retro loft with DG120 and Chrome Soft to ProV1x.
  • kcpark87kcpark87 Members Posts: 92
    New shafts to increase spin perhaps? 86mph with 6 seems fast enough to top 80+Ft
    TM M1 8.5 Mitsubishi W Series 77X
    Callway VR Pro 14 Mitsubishi W Series X Flex
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi Hzrds Black X Flex
    Callaway Apex Pro Forged 16 4-PW C Taper X
    48 / 52 Vokey with S400
    56 Mack daddy 4
    TM Ghost Putter 34"
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,112 ✭✭

FYI - if you remove the 's' from https - it will embed the video instead of just posting a link.
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. Members Posts: 543

Launch angle is 15.5 - 16.5 I think

Spin is mid 4,000s to 5200 (that I think is low)

Apex is 75-85

I want to get the apex to 90 and increase the spin, but maybe at my 86 swing speed that isn't possible.

I am working on increasing that from a physical perspective but I am sure my sequencing needs a lot of work too.

Also my hands are not high enough at the top of the backswing, should probably shorten the backswing.

I play a Pro V1x (pre 2018 version)

The SS is the key, I think? I’m about 109 driver SS immediately after my drive 400 program and I get pretty decent height with the 6i and semi-decent shots with my 4i, then my driver SS drops back to where you are after a week or so and my 6i shots don’t go as high any more. 75 feet seems about right...OTOH, I’m a 10 not scratch Lol
    Seems like the change in irons to the 790s with the same C Taper lite stiff shafts has worked and apex and spin have increased nicely.
    edited Mar 25, 2019 9:24pm #42
    Something clicked this weekend. Better mechanics, increased swing speed and better planes both at the top and through the ball. Still need to fix left wrist at top of swing and arm plane slightly steeper. Swing doesn't start until 26 seconds, sorry

Post edited by Ray Jackson on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file